Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Jury Trial - discussion *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 2h 2 hours ago
The #Tsarnaev jury saw more photos of a very young Dzhokhar today; will they be swayed?

CEMORUxW0AIwBhm.jpg

CEMORU2WEAEIfsT.jpg

CEMORU1WYAE7e6L.jpg

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 1h 1 hour ago
Nabisat starts to cry too; Dzhokhar was so nice, this aunt used to let him urinate in the kitchen sink, which was very unusual for us.

So He was so nice that he was allowed to pee in the kitchen sink? Wow what a great prize.. So now that Dzhokhar is over 21. he has moved up to the
prize of blowing unsuspecting people up. I still say, death he deserves for killing and permently maiming Americans just because!

Mollie Geier ‏@MollieGeier 10h10 hours ago
@JimArmstrongWBZ did u see Tsarnaev cry?i've read where some are saying he got emotional when his aunt began to sob..that sounds unlike him!

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 8h 8 hours ago
.@MollieGeier There's some debate over whether or not he cried; I didn't see it.

----------------

Mr. Armstrong didn't mention the crying in his tweets yesterday- neither did Alysha Palumbo, so I was surprised when I read the article stating that he cried. :waitasec:

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 4h 4 hours ago
It's Tuesday morning in federal court; day 6 of the #Tsarnaev defense case... Lawyers & courtroom staff are getting ready for the day.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 4h 4 hours ago
#Tsarnaev gives a slight smirk to his attorneys as he walks into the courtroom @NECN

#Tsarnaev enters - smiles at Miriam Conrad, sits & starts chatting right away. He's talking, telling lawyers something funny, it seems.

#Tsarnaev's hair hasn't been cut in a while; still wearing his black suit, today with a tan v-neck shirt underneath.

The judge and jury are in the courtroom. We are set to begin @NECN #Tsarnaev

The first defense witness of the day is Amanda Ransom, a 25yo Suffolk University grad from Providence, RI @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge, jury enter.
Defense calls Amanda Ransom, their 31st witness.
#Tsarnaev

Ransom was college roommates with Katherine Russell - Tamerlan's widow @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom's maiden name was Saisselin, she says. She's 25, lives in Providence. Went to Suffolk U for college, lived w/ Katherine Russell.

Ransom was roommates with the woman who would become Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev's sister-in-law (Tamerlan's wife, Katherine).

Ransom says Katherine was funny, sarcastic. The women became friendly. Ransom got to know Tamerlan too.

Ransom: Tamerlan was "outgoing, chatty, and flashy" w/ way he dressed. Jury seeing pics of Tamerlan from around 2007 in and around Boston.

The jury sees photos of Tamerlan & Katherine.
Ransom: "he was very outgoing & chatty & flashy"
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Another photo shows Tamerlan in Boston's North End, white shoes, blue pants, white shirt & scarf @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: Tamerlan used to pay the bouncers at nightclubs so Katherine and I could get in underage. He drove a Mercedes at the time.

Ransom: "they were on & off multiple times...at one point she found out he was dating another woman" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: Katherine & Tamerlan had a rocky relationship, in part b/c he was cheating.

Ransom started to feel uncomfortable around Tamerlan over time after she overheard some of his conversations w/ Katherine.

Defense: was Tamerlan a laid back person?
Ransom: no it was more aggressive
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: "during that year we were all in the same apt I could hear some of their conversations..." @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: after they had sex, he said he had AIDS, she started crying, he was laughing...because it was a joke @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: Tamerlan once told Katherine he had AIDS after having sex; she started to cry and he can't stop laughing.

Ransom: I also saw Tamerlan #Tsarnaev get "aggressive" with people on the street.

Ransom: Tamerlan once knocked a man to the ground, punching him in the chest after the man said something to Katherine he didn't like.

Ransom: "a man sitting on a wall said something to Katherine & I...Tamerlan punched him in the chest" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom says the punch knocked the man off the wall. She was concerned about Tamerlan being aggressive @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense: in the summer of 2009 did you suspect her of being emotionally abused?
Ransom: yes
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom felt Katherine was "being emotionally abused" by Tamerlan.
Then he gives her a Quran, and they start celebrating holidays together.

Ransom: Tamerlan once told Katherine that she was getting heavy and needed to lose some weight.

Ransom: she was in the car with him & he said to her that she was getting fat & she needed to lose weight @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom says she lived with another roommate Stephanie on the 2nd floor of an apt, Tamerlan & Katherine lived on 1st floor @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: "I would see her less & less at that point...she started to change her dress...and she was wearing a hijab" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: Katherine soon takes the hijab, fully covers her body, becomes more quiet and alienated from friends.

Ransom: she got quiet and she was obviously alienated from me and Stephanie @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: I had heard an argument between them & I attempted to help Katherine... @NECN #Tsarnaev

In 2009, Ransom finally moves out after hearing Katherine & Tamerlan fighting; she could hear Katherine asking for help.

Ransom: I was woken up by how loud they were fighting & I could hear banging, it was screaming as well as throwing things @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: I heard banging, yelling, but when I got to Katherine's door at 1am, she told me it was none of my business & to go away.

Ransom: she sounded frantic but when I spoke to her she was very calm & stern with me...told me it was none of my business @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: their door opened & I think he came out & he was speaking to me from the bottom of the stairwell @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: he was repeating very angrily, "get down here right now" I said no, he said "if I ever see you again"
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: Post-fight, Tamerlan screamed at me: "If I ever see you again..."
She goes to her room, barricades self in w/ desk against the door

Ransom says she barricaded her door shut with a desk, then went to roommate's room, they both packed bags & left @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom says they went to a high school friend's house because they were scared @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom: Katherine called me and told me that "Tamerlan never threatened me and I was being childish."
Friendship ends.
#Tsarnaev

Ransom says she didn't call police because she figured Katherine would deny it & it would agitate Tamerlan more @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom says she did send an email to an attorney at 3:30am that day asking how to get out of her lease @NECN #Tsarnaev

Ransom says Katherine left her a message, "she said that Tamerlan never threatened me & I was being childish" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense is done with direct, govt begins cross examination @NECN #Tsarnaev

Nadine Pellegrini rises to cross-examine Ransom.

- Do you have anything to tell this jury about this defendant?
- No.

Did you ever meet Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev?
No.

Nothing further.

Ransom steps down.

I hope this 'sweet' description of his childhood does not sway the jurors too much. He KILLED all of those innocent people and ruined many lives.

Defense calls Elizabeth Zamparelli, 22, student at UMass Boston.

The next defense witness is Elizabeth "Bett" Zamparelli. She graduated from Cambridge Rindge & Latin in 2011 @NECN #Tsarnaev

Zamparelli: went to high school at Cambridge Rindge & Latin.
She looks briefly at #Tsarnaev from the stand.

Zamparelli smiles in Dzhokhar's direction as she says she was friends with him, they met at driver's ed @NECN #Tsarnaev

Zamparelli says both she & #Tsarnaev were in "Best Buddies" together @NECN

Zamparelli was #Tsarnaev's friend, in his graduating class (2011). They took driver's ed together.

Zamparelli: #Tsarnaev and I were in "Best Buddies", where high school kids interact with special needs kids.

Zamparelli: "I thought we were relatively close."
Never went to his house.
He was "very caring."

Zamparelli says Dzhokhar wrestled in high school & also life guarded at the Harvard pool @NECN #Tsarnaev

Zamparelli: "I thought we were relatively close" says they would "hang out, laugh, just talk about stuff" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Zamparelli says she would talk to Dzhokhar when she was having problems, says he would "make me laugh" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 3h 3 hours ago
Zamparelli: I never saw #Tsarnaev argue or fight w/ anyone. He treated women nicely. Never talked politics or religion.

Zamparelli says they kept in touch after high school online, says he was "a little sarcastic, but not mean sarcastic" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 3h 3 hours ago
Zamparelli says Dzhokhar never really talked about religion or politics, although she knew he was Muslim @NECN #Tsarnaev

Zamparelli says she knew Tamerlan through a friend, probably met him junior year of high school @NECN #Tsarnaev

Zamparelli: I knew Tamerlan thru a friend. But I was much younger than he and his friends were, so not much interaction.

One of those friends, Zamparelli answers, was murdered. But a govt objection stops her answer.
#Tsarnaev

Defense done with direct. Govt begins cross examination, asks about using drugs with the Silva brothers @NECN #Tsarnaev

Zamparelli says she was at an ex-boyfriend's house, Tamerlan was at Brendan Mess' house across the street @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense: do you know what happened to Brendan?
Zamparelli: he was murdered
Govt: objection
Judge: Sustained
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Miriam Conrad is trying different ways to ask Zamparelli's reaction post-bombing; keeps getting sustained.
Finally: did you recognize pics?

Zamparelli: "We thought it was a joke, the idea that it could be him." That's not the person my friends and I thought he could be.

Al Chakravarty stands to cross examine.

- You didn't know Tamerlan well?
- Not really.

AC wants to ask about #Tsarnaev & co. buying and selling weed, but gets objected to.
Zamparelli says she smoked w/ him once or twice.

AC: you didn't know the depth or range of #Tsarnaev's religious beliefs, did you?
- I knew he was Muslim.

AC: You had less contact with #Tsarnaev once he went to college?
- Yes.

That's all from her; Defense calls next witness.

Next defense witness requires a translator, we are told.
Lawyers go to sidebar.
#Tsarnaev

Witness arrives in a wheelchair; Mirra Kuznetsov has good English, it seems, but has the interpreter just in case.

The next defense witness is using an interpreter. She came here from Russia in 1992. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov owned a Russian language video store in Brighton, the #Tsarnaev family were her customers @NECN

Kuznetsov: "Nice looking family, it seemed to me they were very close to each other" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov got to know the #Tsarnaev family as customers of her store; met them around 2005 she testifies.

Kuznetsov would also deliver items to their Cambridge home, would dine with them at their apartment.
"A very nice-looking family, close."

Kuznetsov: I met the defendant when he was 10 or 11; they were hugging and kissing him, he was very loved by them.

Kuznetsov says Dzhokhar was 10 or 11 at the time, says the family loved him, kissed him all the time @NECN #Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov says of Anzor & Zubeidat that they were a great couple "it seemed to me that they loved each other" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov: #Tsarnaev's mom, when I first met her, she was dressed very fancy, loved her kids clearly.

Kuznetsov: Anzor was good-looking but quiet; Zubeidat was more talkative; a beautiful couple, they loved each other.

Kuznetsov: Tamerlan looked very nice looking guy, good shape, nice @NECN #Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov on a memory of brothers: Tamerlan said something to Dzhokhar & it was very powerful...maybe "go to the car"@NECN #Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov: I once recall Tamerlan said something "powerful" to Dzhokhar, gave him an order to go back to the car, or something.

Kutnetzov: Time passes, and I am surprised to see Zubeidat #Tsarnaev wearing the hijab; she tells me she's very religious now.

Kuznetsov noticed the changes around 2008-2009, "(Zubeidat) said she was very happy that Tamerlan became very religious" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov: Then I see Tamerlan "and I was scared". He looked strange, with his beard and his clothes. Didn't recognize him.

Kutnetsov: Zubeidat once told me she was very happy that Tamerlan had become religious.
#Tsarnaev

Defense atty Fick wants to ask about what happened and what she saw post-bombing; judge asks for sidebar.
#Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov begins to answer question about calling the FBI shortly after the bombing, govt objects, judge grants sidebar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Some jurors relaxed, smiling, whispering among themselves as we wait...
#Tsarnaev

Sidebar over. Defense begins asking why Kuznetsov was "scared" when she saw Tamerlan's appearance change @NECN #Tsarnaev

Sidebar over. Defense begins asking why Kuznetsov was "scared" when she saw Tamerlan's appearance change @NECN #Tsarnaev

Kuznetsov explains it reminded her of a terrorist.
Defense done with direct, govt has no cross examination & she is excused
@NECN #Tsarnaev

The next witness is Dr. Alexander Niss, who works at Hollywood Health Center in LA, private practice in psychiatry @NECN #Tsarnaev

Next witness: Dr. Alexander Niss, who also has the Russian interpreter with him, just in case, but his English is also good.

Niss: Works at Hollywood Mental Health center in Los Angeles, private practice in psychiatry.
#Tsarnaev

Dr. Niss got his medical degree in Russia, speaks both Russian & English @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Niss says he worked at a Moscow psychiatric institute @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Niss was a licensed doctor in Russia, but then has to re-do much of his training after he moves to the US.

Dr. Niss came to the U.S. in 1994, did training here in Boston at age 50 to become licensed here @NECN #Tsarnaev

Niss met Anzor #Tsarnaev (the dad) in 2003, as part of his outpatient practice. Saw him for about 2 years.

Dr. Niss was treating Anzor #Tsarnaev from 2003-2005, "His main problem was post traumatic stress disorder" @NECN

Niss: Anzor #Tsarnaev suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder following the Chechen/Russian war.

Dr. Niss says Anzor's PTSD was from the Russian-Chechen war, "he was tortured he experienced a lot...he had flashbacks" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Niss: Anzor #Tsarnaev had flashbacks to his time in concentration camp, had hallucinations, "was very sick"; paranoia that KGB followed him.

Dr. Niss says Anzor "had nightmares, paranoia about KGB" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Niss: Anzor had a head injury at age 8, seizures lifelong as a result.

Dr. Niss says Anzor "had seizures from childhood" @NECN #Tsarnaev

The jury will now see a summary of Anzor's health records from Dr. Niss' treatment of him @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Niss reviews his medical records with the jury; he saw Anzor #Tsarnaev 28 times over 2 years.

Niss: Anzor suffered from "panic disorders, tense emotionally, startle reflex, voices calling his name."
Gets Rx for Zoloft & Klonopin.

Dr. Niss originally treated Anzor #Tsarnaev with trazadone (sleep disorder), zoloft (anti-depressant) & klonopin (panic attacks) @NECN

Prosecution objects, suggesting #Tsarnaev's dad's meds aren't related to the issue at hand; judge will allow for now, he says.

Dr. Niss says a month later he tapered off some drugs, added an anti-psychotic medication @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Niss says in Oct 2003 (2 months later) Anzor's PTSD symptoms were increasing, he adjusted meds again @NECN #Tsarnaev

With time, Dr. Niss says, Anzor #Tsarnaev gets a little better, more calm, but not much. Terribly anxious, paranoid.

Dr. Niss testifies 2 months later (Dec 2003) Anzor #Tsarnaev was improving, calmer, sleeping better, no nightmares @NECN

By late 2003, Anzor #Tsarnaev was getting worse ("disheveled, depressed, symptoms increasing"); Dr. Niss changes his meds.

But by March 2004, Dr. Niss says Anzor #Tsarnaev worsened, flashbacks, anxious, tense, sudden fear. He adjusted meds again @NECN

Niss: Anzor #Tsarnaev also suffered "from having a lot of concussions in his life" as a boxer.

Dr. Niss on Anzor: "He was a boxer, any knockout is a concussion...he had a lot of concussions in his life" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Niss testifies in Oct 2004 Anzor #Tsarnaev's condition improved but he had "anger for minimal reasons" @NECN

Govt objects, saying that Judy Clarke is asking leading questions of Dr. Niss; Judge O'Toole quips that "that might be more efficient".

Niss: By mid-2005, Anzor #Tsarnaev was going to the Emergency Room almost every night, physical symptoms from PTSD. "He was a sick guy.

Dr. Niss testifies in Jan 2005 Anzor #Tsarnaev was no longer suspicious but was exhausting easily, had some dizziness, headaches @NECN

Dr. Niss agrees with defense that he tried to medicate the general "bad feeling he had" @NECN #Tsarnaev

By May 2005, Dr. Niss testifies Anzor #Tsarnaev was "going to ER almost every night...he couldn't drive" @NECN

Dr. Niss: "he was really disabled, he couldn't work in my opinion, but I never fill out any forms for him for disability" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Niss moved away in 2005, stopped treating Anzor #Tsarnaev - agreed with defense he was "very disabled" @NECN

Defense is done with direct. Govt has no cross examination. Dr. Niss is excused. It is now morning break. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 2h 2 hours ago
#Tsarnaev is back in the courtroom after morning break, smiling & talking with his attorneys @NECN

The judge & jury are back in court as we resume testimony @NECN #Tsarnaev

The next defense witness is Michael Reynolds, a Princeton University professor in the Dept. of Middle Eastern Studies @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds specializes in Russian studies, the Middle East, and near-eastern studies. Particular interest in The Caucuses.
#Tsarnaev

Reynolds has his PhD, speaks Russian, has studied Arabic, and knows a lot about Islam, he says. This is his 1st time as a witness

Reynolds analyzed the #Tsarnaev computers, essays, videos, etc. He was also asked to give a cultural/historic background of Chechnya @NECN

Reynolds was asked to review the materials found on the #Tsarnaev brothers' computers; FBI reports; Russian security services reports.

Jurors prepare for a history lesson.
Defense attorney David Bruck begins, "Who are the Chechens?"

#Tsarnaev

Jurors see a photo of the 2014 Winter Olympics, held in Sochi.
About 400 miles from Chechnya, Reynolds explains.

Jury sees a map of the Great Caucasus Mountain Range, zooms in on North Caucasus where Chechnya & Daghestan meet @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds explains the Chechens are "mountain people...scattered in autonomous, small villages" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: the Chechens have lived in the Caucasus mountains from "before recorded time". Thousands of years, without any centralized rule.

Prosecution rises, saying Reynolds need to but his analysis in a timeframe or else "it's potentially irrelevant."

Reynolds says, to this day, the Chechens live in spread out mountainous communities, isolated but interdependent.

Reynolds says there is no government in Chechnya, so "life in the mountains is precarious" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says every community has to provide for its own self-protection - "adat" is a social code that regulates everything @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: Chechens have a social code they invented to determine how people interact with each other; family units are very strong.

Reynolds: Chechens are highly patriarchal; the father is in charge of the family. Absent him, the eldest brother takes the lead.

Reynolds says the father in a Chechen family plays important role, in charge of cohesion & material well being of the family @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says in Chechen families, the younger brother owes his deference & loyalty to the elder brother @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: "It's expected that the younger brothers will listen to the older brother."
Children learn this from birth, he says.
#Tsarnaev

Reynolds: The younger brother owes his loyalty & deference to his older brother. It's like a military unit, he says: discipline & hierarchy.

Reynolds says most mountain people - in Chechnya & Dagestan - are Sunni Muslims @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds explains the people of the Dagestan highlands are known as "Avars" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds gives a brief but detailed explanation of Chechnya's history @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says in 1859 Chechnya & Dagestan were conquered by the Russian Empire @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says Chechnya had 2yrs of independence 1917-1919 following Russian revolution @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says in 1944 Soviet leader Stalin gave order to deport Chechens to Kyrgyzstan & Kazakhstan @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: in 2 weeks' time, Stalin had almost every Chechen person put on cattle cars & shipped to central Asia-left to fend for themselves.

Reynolds says in 1956 Chechens were permitted to return to Chechnya, some stayed in Central Asia @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds explains Chechens asserted their independence & established a government but the Russians refused to recognize it @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says in Dec 1994 Boris Yeltsin ordered the invasion of Chechnya, known as the first Chechen war @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says at the time there were about 1.2 million Chechens, 50-100,000 died in first Chechen war @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says in 1995 "jihadis saw the Chechen struggle as a wonderful opportunity to exploit...further the cause of jihad" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says in 1996 there was a cease fire between Chechnya & Russia, Chechens had been devastated though @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says the jihadis further exploited this vulnerability in Chechnya & jihadis also invaded Dagestan @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says 2nd Chechen war was from 1999-2009, "Russia was at war inside of Chechnya" & "extortion & bribes quite common"@NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says Chechens were "unwanted people" in Russian, was a very difficult time to be Chechen @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says online, jihadis have linked themselves with Chechnya & Chechen people @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds now discusses Tamerlan's Samsung laptop's most viewed websites @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds reviewed 2 high school essays #Tsarnaev wrote re: this deportation; says they weren't radical in tone; just reflect family history.

As jurors take in this history and geography background information, some are taking notes, others look attentive. Some...do not.

Chechens go to war with Russia in the 90s; jihadi fighters take advantage of the situation, Reynolds says, to "further their cause".

Chechens return to war with Russia from 1999-2009, Reynolds says, and it was even bloodier war for Chechnya.

Reynolds: Chechens were regarded as unwanted people throughout Russia; target for bribes, unwanted peoples.

Reynolds: It would be very easy for a young Chechen to go online and see his country "intertwined" with the cause of international jihad.

Reynolds reviewed Tamerlan's computer, noting that one of his most-visited websites was one focused on Chechen jihadi struggles.

Reynolds says Tamerlan viewed instructional videos, lectures with speaker explaining Islamic doctrine & rituals @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says Tamerlan also accessed "atrocity videos" portraying atrocities against Muslims, many from civil war in Syria @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: Tamerlan's computer had Islamic videos and "atrocity videos" showing people being victimized; Bruck wants to show 3 mins of that.

Defense asks to play a 3 min clip of one of these "atrocity videos," over govt objection. Judge grants sidebar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt asks for sidebar, as defense tries to get excerpt of this online "atrocity" video based on conflict in Syria to be shown to jurors.

Back from sidebar, the defense says it will NOT be showing the video clip, Reynolds begins to describe video @NECN #Tsarnaev

Sidebar ends; we will not see that video after all.
Govt wins that battle; Reynolds is asked to just describe the "quite graphic" video.

Govt objects, judge has defense move on. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: Tamerlan's computer had "a very large quantity" of those atrocity videos on it.
#Tsarnaev

Reynolds also found a lot of what he calls "motivational videos", also largely from Caucasus region, on Tamerlan's computer.

Reynolds says he found "motivational videos" on Tamerlan's laptop from Chechnya, Dagestan depicting jihadis in the mountains @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says the videos' message is "one can be part of a greater cause & it's rewarding proving one's courage" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: such "motivational videos" seek to inspire young men to be part of a greater cause: jihad to defend their faith.
#Tsarnaev

Reynolds: Tamerlan created what he calls a "classmates" page, a Russian-language type of Facebook, we are told.
Govt wants another sidebar.

Reynolds says he reviewed a Russian social media site "Odnoklassniki.ru" - translates to "Classmates" - similar to Facebook @NECN #Tsarnaev

As defense attempts to show Tamerlan's social media page, govt objects. Judge calls another sidebar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense wants jury to see Tamerlan's "classmates" page; govt says this witness has no foundation to be talking about that.
#Tsarnaev

Back from sidebar, defense attorney David Bruck changes topics again @NECN #Tsarnaev

Sidebar ends; again, Bruck has to move on, unable to show jury something he wanted to show them.

Bruck now wants to show jurors a couple of webpages typical of those pro-jihadi sites Tamerlan #Tsarnaev spent so much time on.

That site, http://kavkazcenter.com , shows jihadis fighting, lecturing. Explains the "obligations" a Muslim has to his faith.

Defense moves on to http://Kavkazcenter.com - a jihadi website found in Tamerlan's internet browser history @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 1h 1 hour ago
Reynolds says Kavkazcenter has videos of jihadis fighting in Caucasus, speaking about what they're doing @NECN #Tsarnaev

Tamerlan #Tsarnaev was on that site as late as 4/7/13, just before the Marathon Bombings.

Reynolds now reviews for the jury some of the messages exchanged b/w #Tsarnaev brothers while Tamerlan was in Russia & Dzhokhar was here.

Dzhokhar leans forward to see video screen as Reynolds describes email he sent in May 2012 to his brother in Dagestan @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says mostly Dzhokhar was replying to Tamerlan's emails, "that's interesting" but in this reply he sent link himself @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds explains link Dzhokhar sent was from point of view that's reviled by jihadis, very different than Tamerlan's emails @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bruck: "switching gears now..."
He asks re: #Tsarnaev's boat note & how original it was.
Reynolds: some, not original at all; common quote.

Reynolds: Dzhokhar's boat writing phrase about looking down the barrel of a gun & seeing paradise is widely used by Russians @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says its a phrase mostly used by "posers...people trying to look cool" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: the line #Tsarnaev wrote about "looking down the barrel of a gun" is often used by people trying to look cool; posers, he says.

Bruck: Let's talk about Tamerlan's 6-month trip to Russia in 2012.

Reynolds says when Tamerlan visited Russia in 2012 there was an insurgency taking place in Dagestan @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bruck now shifts to "several hours" of Russian language audio files found on Tamerlan's computer; Reynolds listened to about 3 hours of them

Reynolds says Magomed Kartoshov with Union of the Just, was Tamerlan's cousin & had conversations with him @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds explains Hizb ut-Tahrir "Party of (Islamic) Liberation" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds: these audio files are conversations, generally among 4 people.
Govt objects, asks for sidebar.

#Tsarnaev

As the defense moves on to the 6+ hours of audio recording found on Tamerlan's laptop, govt objects & requests sidebar. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Back from sidebar, Bruck tries to get a summary of the Tamerlan audio recordings, govt objects, judge sustains @NECN #Tsarnaev

Sidebar over; Bruck says he's not going to go into the content of those audio tapes, after all.
He has to move on, again.
#Tsarnaev

"I think that's all," Bruck says.

Govt says their cross-exam will be "much more than 10 minutes" (i.e., will run into lunch break).

Judge callls teams back to sidebar.
#Tsarnaev

Back from sidebar, judge says we will take lunch now & come back at 1:30pm @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge says we will break for lunch, but will only take 30 minutes, not an hour.
Sounded like he said we may end at 3pm today.
#Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 56m 56 minutes ago
The judge & jury are back in the courtroom @NECN #Tsarnaev

Back from abbreviated lunch; AUSA Bill Weinreb to cross-examine Princeton professor Michael Reynolds.
#Tsarnaev

Government begins cross examination of Professor Michael Reynolds @NECN #Tsarnaev

W: didn't the same lack of centralized government you described in Chechnya occur here in the US?
R: I'm not an expert in US history.

AUSA Bill Weinreb: the world has changed a lot over the past few thousand years
Reynolds: Chechnya has seen a lot of changes
@NECN #Tsarnaev

W: Well, a lot has changed in Chechnya over the centuries?
R: Generally, yes.

Weinreb: It has changed a lot since WWII?
Reynolds: When you say "it" do you mean the country, the people, the culture of Chechnya?

W: Anzor wasn't born or raised in Chechnya, was he? Nor any of his brothers? Nor was Zubeidat? Tamerlan? His sisters?
R: No.

Weinreb points out Dzhokhar's mother & sisters were not born & raised in Chechnya @NECN #Tsarnaev

Weinreb gets Reynolds to agree Anzor & Tamerlan weren't born or raised in Chechnya either @NECN #Tsarnaev

W: Families who move to new countries bring some traditions, abandon others?
R: Yes.

W: You followed the news of the marathon bombings? Of Tamerlan's death, Dzhokhar's arrest?
W: Must have intrigued you?

Govt gets Reynolds to agree he was interested in the marathon bombings because of the #Tsarnaev brothers' Chechen ties @NECN

Reynolds admits he wrote an article about the #Tsarnaev brothers in May 2012 called "The Northern Caucasus, the Tsarnaevs and Us" @NECN

W: How did you get involved in this case?
R: Defense contacted me in July, 2014.
W: You know what they're seeking to prove here?

W: In May, 2013, weeks after bombings, you wrote an article about the #Tsarnaevs?
R: Yes, before I met the defense.

Weinreb shows that article to Reynolds; he remembers writing it. It's called: "The Northern Caucasus, the Tsarnaevs, and Us"

Govt wants to show the article, defense objects. Judge calls sidebar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Weinreb wants the jury to hear some of what Professor Reynolds wrote in this scholarly article weeks after the bombings.

Defense objects, govt asks for a sidebar.

#Tsarnaev

Weinreb is back, post-sidebar.
He will ask about the article; jury will not see it in its entirety.

Govt: Being born in Chechnya doesn't make you a murderer
Reynolds: correct
@NECN #Tsarnaev

W: In your first paragraph, you ask what could drive a pair of Chechen brothers to commit this act of violence.

W: Then you wrote, the actions of people cannot be reduced to their identity; "Identity is not destiny," you wrote?

Govt: Are you here to say a Chechen terrorist is less morally culpable for their crimes?
Reynolds: No
@NECN #Tsarnaev

R: You need to understand peoples' cultures.
W: But are you saying a Chechen terrorist is less morally culpable for his crimes?

Weinreb now focuses on Reynolds' writing that the "cult of elders" declined a lot in recent times in Chechnya; less focus on older males.

Here is Reynolds' article if you'd like to read it: http://www.fpri.org/articles/2013/05/northern-caucasus-tsarnaevs-and-us …
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt points out Reynolds' article asserts that the "cult of elders" declined in Chechen culture in recent times @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt points out Ruslan Tsarni (Anzor's brother) married an American against his father's wishes @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt also points out Anzor married Zubeidat (an Avar) against his father's wishes @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt is saying these are all violations of Chechen tradition @NECN #Tsarnaev

Weinreb is using Reynolds' earlier scholarship to contradict some of what he just testified to.
R says he wrote re: culture, not #Tsarnaevs.

Weinreb asks Reynolds if Tamerlan's decision to marry a Christian woman (Katherine) w/o father's permission violated Chechen rules.
- Yes.

Govt: Did you know Tamerlan #Tsarnaev married Katherine Russell, a Christian, against his father's wishes?
Objection - sustained
@NECN

Govt asks question more generally without Katherine's name, Reynolds answers that the marriage would not be in conformity
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt: would it be a violation of the custom if an older brother told the younger brother not to smoke but he did anyway?
@NECN #Tsarnaev

W: Would it violate Chechen rules if a younger brother smoked a cigarette against his older brother's wishes?
R: It depends on context.

Reynolds says yes. He answers similarly to defying older brother by smoking & selling pot, drinking alcohol.
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Reynolds says these are all "relatively minor" violations of the code known as "adat"
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Overall govt theme: Anzor violated Chechen customs, Tamerlan violated Chechen customs, Dzhokhar violated Chechen customs.
#Tsarnaev

Reynolds wrote Dzhokhar & Tamerlan were hardly typical Chechens, weren't born there @NECN #Tsarnaev

Weinreb suggesting that Reynolds' testimony about the patriarchy's role in the #Tsarnaev family was exaggerated or incorrect.

Govt: can you say no one of Chechen origin who looks at jihadi website thinks it's extreme?
Reynolds reluctantly says no
@NECN #Tsarnaev

W: You wrote that "some Chechens rejected violent extremism"?
R: That is correct.
W: So seeing terror propaganda could push you away?

W: Whether you're repelled by violent jihad or encouraged by it, depends on the kind of person you are?

#Tsarnaev

Govt says Reynolds wrote it was the #Tsarnaev brothers' choice to embrace radicalism
Reynolds: that's no longer my belief
@NECN

Govt suggests Reynolds' belief changed after he met with the defense team. Reynolds claims it was after he studied the case @NECN #Tsarnaev

Weinreb: Didn't you write the #Tsarnaev's chose to carry out terrorism?
Reynolds: That is no longer my belief; I have since changed my mind.

Govt done with cross examination. Defense begins redirect @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bruck for re-direct exam.
B: Chechen culture doesn't dictate every single action?
R: No, no serious scholar would say that. It all depends.

Reynolds: One can identify "general patterns".
Bruck: A younger brother and an older brother?
R: That would be a good example, yes.

Defense gets Reynolds to explain Tsarni is the Chechen name & not an alias for #Tsarnaev which is the Russian version of the name @NECN

Defense gets Reynolds to clarify the cultural code or "adat" is never adhered to by everyone, some more strict than others @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bruck: These brothers do identify as Chechens, correct?
Reynolds: Yes.
B: Do Chechens assimilate well to other cultures?

Reynolds continues to explain under redirect by defense that Chechens do not assimilate well with other cultures @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bruck: In fact, Chechens in Jordan and elsewhere still maintain their distinct language, generations after leaving home?
Reynolds: Yes.

Defense gets Reynolds to explain Tamerlan's opinion of what was going on in Chechnya was based on jihadi videos he watched @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bruck, hoping to show that individual families can preserve as much native culture (brother following brother) as they see fit.
#Tsarnaev

Bruck done, Weinreb will re-cross Reynolds.
#Tsarnaev

W: The Chechen brother-brother relationship is a "hardy" one; it survives immigration?
W: Assuming it was there in the first place?

Govt: could there be no pattern of oldest male leadership & family moved around a lot
Reynolds: there may be such families
@NECN #Tsarnaev

W: What if the #Tsarnaev sisters told you no such pattern existed in their family--
Objection, sustained.

Govt done with re-cross. Reynolds is excused @NECN #Tsarnaev

Professor Reynolds is done.

Next defense witness: Henry Alvarez, Cambridge Rindge & Latin graduate, now at UMass Boston.

#Tsarnaev

The next defense witness is Henry Alvarez, of Cambridge. Went to Cambridge Rindge & Latin HS @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alvarez: I met Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev thru the wrestling team we were both on at CRLS in 2008.

Alvarez says he met Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev through the CRLHS wrestling team his freshman year @NECN

Alvarez says of wrestling "honestly it sucked" says there were hardly any breaks, started right after football season @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alvarez: When I first started wrestling, "I hated it. It sucked."
Laughter in court.

Alvarez: I met #Tsarnaev when I was a freshman and he was a sophomore. We were both new to the team. He hated wrestling practice too.

Alvarez says he & #Tsarnaev got to know each other commiserating about how tough wrestling practice was @NECN

Alvarez: #Tsarnaev would always try to encourage me when I got tired at daily practices.

Alvarez says he liked the bond, that he connected with his teammates because wrestling team smaller than football team @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alvarez shows jurors a CRLS wrestling team photo from 2008/9.
He says he got to know #Tsarnaev well.
"He was a kind person...mellow."

Alvarez: #Tsarnaev wouldn't hurt anybody. He liked to dance before a tournament to relax his anxious teammates. Danced to song "Like a G6"

Alvarez on Dzhokhar: "He's a kind person...never caused harm to anybody or disrespected anybody" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alvarez says the coach picked #Tsarnaev as co-captain "I guess he figured he could lead by example" @NECN

Alvarez: We never talked about religion; I knew he was Muslim, that's all. I knew he had a brother; he was proud of his boxing skills.

Alvarez says he's catholic, learned Dzhokhar is Muslim, only talked about it once @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alvarez: Dzhokhar said his brother was a boxer "I could sense some pride talking about his brother, about his boxing skills" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alvarez says Dzhokhar came to CRLS wrestling practice about 8-9 times during his college winter break @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alvarez: #Tsarnaev would come back to high school when he was a college freshman 8-9 times to help out with our practices.

#Tsarnaev puts hand on his chin, seems to lean forward to study the old group photo he's in as a high school sophomore

The jury sees Alvarez's senior night wrestling photo, Dzhokhar, then a freshman at UMass-Dartmouth was in the pic @NECN #Tsarnaev

Now jury sees a photo of #Tsarnaev, arm draped over Alvarez, just before Alvarez wrestles on his "senior night".

Alvarez said he had invited Dzhokhar to come to the senior night wrestling matches. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Def ask what Alvarez thinks of #Tsarnaev involvement in bombing
Alvarez:I honestly never could imagine he would do something like this
@NECN

Defense done. On cross examination, govt gets Alvarez to agree he really didn't know #Tsarnaev well outside school @NECN

Al Chakravarty on the cross: To wrestle like you guys did took a lot of determination?
- Yes.

C: #Tsarnaev was a mentor to you?
A: Somewhat.
C: Coaches, teammates were tight, you relied on each other?
A: Yes.

Nothing further.

The next defense witness is Roy Howard, Dzhokhar's CRLS wrestling coach @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense calls Roy Howard, CRLS graduate and now a chef at Harvard University. His second job: wrestling coach.

Howard is a chef at Harvard University, also coaches wrestling, football & lacrosse @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dzhokhar seems to at times be looking in the direction of his old HS wrestling coach @NECN #Tsarnaev

Howard says wrestling is tougher than football, wrestler need to know about nutrition, have to be certified in weight class @NECN #Tsarnaev

Howard coached #Tsarnaev on wrestling team at Cambridge Rindge and Latin; says it's more demanding than football.

Howard: #Tsarnaev wrestled at the 135 weight when he was at his most advanced level.
He was "quiet, hard-worker".

Howard says #Tsarnaev started at 112lbs, lightest weight class, ended at 135lbs @NECN

Jury sees photos of Dzhokhar wrestling from Jan 3, 2011, his senior year @NECN #Tsarnaev

Howard shows jurors a montage of high school yearbook images; #Tsarnaev is featured prominently in his wrestling gear, mid-match.

Howard: #Tsarnaev "showed leadership, hard-work" and so became co-captain.
I never met his parents, though I usually try to see all parents.

Howard says he tried to talk to parents about demands of wrestling, but never spoke to Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev's parents @NECN

Howard: I never saw #Tsarnaev's parents at any of his wrestling matches.

Howard: #Tsarnaev came back to visit school during practice in 2013, "the year of the bombings."

Defense: was his participation in the marathon bombing consistent with the Dzhokhar you knew?
Howard: no sir
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Howard is done, after saying the young man responsible for the bombings is not consistent with the young man he coached.

Defense done with direct. Howard is excused without cross examination. We are ending early today. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Court is done for the day.
#Tsarnaev
------------------------------

https://twitter.com/alyshanecn

https://twitter.com/jimarmstrongwbz

:wave: YESorNO - a BIG :gthanks: for posting the tweets for this trial!! :loveyou:

:thumb:

Alysha Palumbo retweeted
Deborah Feyerick @DebFeyerickCNN · 4h 4 hours ago
Tonight CNN Presents: "Murder at the Marathon." Can Jahar #Tsarnaev's lawyers save his life? Will the jury have mercy? 9p EST @CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jdogcatfish