Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Jury Trial - discussion *GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if he will choose to speak at his formal sentencing? Part of me actually hope he does, I want to know what is going through his head as his actions are just so removed and stone cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I agree. I think many people would like to hear him speak. Pity that he cannot be forced to do so.

I don't even care if he speaks. I have NO interest in hearing what he has to
say!! I only care about the people that was left without limbs and those
that were taken from this earth because of his actions. any apologies he (if)
makes will be to little and to late.... IMO

I think I would be afraid to hear what he had to say. Inflict more pain upon the survivors. I hope he waives his appeals so he can get to that "Paradise" he thinks awaits him.

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 12h 12 hours ago
Back at Federal Court in Boston... waiting for the 10am start to #Tsarnaev's status hearing to determine next steps...

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 11h 11 hours ago
Back in courtroom 9...prosecutors & defense team are taking their places.
#Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 11h 11 hours ago
I'm back in courtroom 9 for a status conference in the marathon bombings trial. Attorneys for defense & prosecution are here @NECN #Tsarnaev

The judge is in the courtroom, status conference about to begin @NECN #Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev is not present for the status conference @NECN

Courtroom is mostly media; US Atty Carmen Ortiz and other support staff are here, but that's about it.
#Tsarnaev won't be here.

Judge enters.
"Basically we want to talk about scheduling," he says.

Government says there are approximately 20 individuals who wish to speak at sentencing hearing @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge: Maybe formal sentencing in late June, early July?
Weinreb: Right now, we have about 20 survivors who want to speak at sentencing.

Weinreb: We expect the proceedings to take a full day. Thinking mid-July?

AUSA William Weinreb says they have received written submissions & oral requests, but expect hearing to last one day @NECN #Tsarnaev

The defense requests 90 days before sentencing to deal with "logistical issues" and "post-trial motions" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judy Clarke asks for 90 days to file new trial paperwork.
Weinreb responds that it should happen faster, citing huge need for finality here.

Weinreb says "there's an interest in finality" in this case & "90 days seems excessive" to wait for sentencing @NECN #Tsarnaev

Government wants sentencing in 30 days @NECN #Tsarnaev

Question now is: should formal sentencing happen before/after the formal defense request for a new trial?

Weinreb: How about formal sentencing in 30 days?
Judge: Let me think about this.

Judge says he will enter an order that sets the sentencing date and date by which to file motions @NECN #Tsarnaev

Next, Judge talks about the unsealing of the many, many, many sealed docket items.
"That's going to be a project," O'Toole says.

Judge is now discussing unsealing motions in the case. He says it will be time consuming @NECN #Tsarnaev

Government says 30 days should be enough time to unseal documents @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge: Lawyers will have to review these items and decide what no longer needs to be sealed.

Clarke: We will move as quickly as possible to unseal as many items as we can.

Weinreb: We think we can decide what gets unsealed within 30 days.

Judge: "There may be waves of unsealing...or stages."

The judge says filings may be unsealed in waves @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge: I will issue scheduling orders shortly.
O'Toole leaves, lawyers huddle together to confer.
That's it for today's #Tsarnaev hearing.

The status conference is done. No official sentencing date has been set yet @NECN #Tsarnaev

Amber ‏@aca761 10h10 hours ago
@JimArmstrongWBZ were these sealed documents not used during the trial?

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 10h 10 hours ago
.@aca761 Some were, yes. Like potential evidence that never got used. Lots have to do with legal expenses.
------------------------------

https://twitter.com/jimarmstrongwbz

https://twitter.com/alyshanecn

PEOPLE v. TSARNAEV: The Exit Interview (podcast from WGBH News)

"..Reporter Adam Reilly sat down once again with WBZ's Jim Armstrong and Boston.com's Hilary Sargent to talk about their lasting impressions of the case, the defendant, and all the questions that remain unanswered...."

http://blogs.wgbh.org/scrum/2015/5/21/people-v-tsarnaev-exit-interview/
--------------------------------------

Jury Silent After Sentencing Boston Marathon Bomber to Death

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/jurors-silent-choosing-death-marathon-bomber-31182092
--------------------------------------

Family of Lingzi Lu speaks out after conclusion of marathon bombing trial

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/29...ut-after-conclusion-of-marathon-bombing-trial

Click here to read the entire letter: http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...l?hootPostID=767534074231fa2e97be6d25c1fa9d65
-------------------------------

lingzi.jpg

Link: http://www.neontommy.com/sites/default/files/lingzi.jpg?1366250607

-----------------------
Jim Armstrong ‏@JimArmstrongWBZ May 28
From @DMAnews1: Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev will be Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev will be formally sentenced at 9:30am on June 24th. Victims/survivors to speak then.

At least 20 Boston Marathon Bomb victims set to speak at Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's death sentence hearing scheduled for June 24

"...Tsarnaev, who did not testify in his own defense during the guilt or sentencing phases of his trial, will also have the right to speak, though he is under no obligation to do so..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-June-24.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus
--------------------------------------------

Judy Clarke Has Saved Every American Villain. Until Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

"Along with the Boston Bomber, she has defended Ted Kaczynski, Zacarias Moussaoui, Eric Rudolph, and Susan Smith in court. By saving the worst among us, Clarke believes she's saving all of us. Whether we like it or not...."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politic...efense-lawyer-profile-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-0615/
----------------------------------------

I really want him to speak at his formal sentencing.. Just for some sort of glimpse behind the stone cold exterior he has put on the whole trial. I just cannot believe someone of his age and upbringing (lots of friends, partying, sociable etc) could do something like this, go through the trial and not feel anything. How can someone be so emotionless?

I really want him to speak at his formal sentencing.. Just for some sort of glimpse behind the stone cold exterior he has put on the whole trial. I just cannot believe someone of his age and upbringing (lots of friends, partying, sociable etc) could do something like this, go through the trial and not feel anything. How can someone be so emotionless?

I would really like to hear what he's got to say for himself as well. I do not think this man has the courage to face the people he has harmed though. He doesn't have the conviction in his dreadful beliefs to stand up as a man, as a human to tell us or his victims WHY! Though I wouldn't have voted death I can see how anyone would. No emotion no remorse and no regrets.
I'd fricking make him speak!!

Michele McPhee ‏@MicheleMcPhee 6m6 minutes ago
Dias and his friends emptied Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s dorm room on 4/18, night @MITPolice Collier executed; @MBTATransitPD @DicDonohue wounded.

Nicole Jacobs ‏@NicoleJacobsWBZ 4h4 hours ago
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's friend Dias Kadyrbayev was convicted on charges of obstructing justice. He threw out Tsarnaev's backpack and laptop #WBZ
------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/search?q= Dzhokhar Tsarnaev &src=typd&vertical=default&f=tweets

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 1h1 hour ago
Settling into Courtroom 1 for sentencing of Dias Kadyrbayev, college friend of #Tsarnaev. 1st of 3 to be sentenced for obstruction.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 39m39 minutes ago
I'm in court for the sentencing of marathon bomber friend Dias #Kadyrbayev @NECN

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 32m32 minutes ago
In the courtroom and hallway are attorneys for Robel Phillipos, Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev and Sean Collier's sister Jen @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 1h1 hour ago
The #Tsarnaev media scrum has regrouped. One of #Tsarnaev lawyers, Bill Fick, is here. Sean Collier's sister is here, wants to speak.

lysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 29m29 minutes ago
US Attorney Carmen Ortiz is in court. The prosecution has said it plans to ask for a seven year prison sentence for #Kadyrbayev @NECN

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 20m20 minutes ago
#Kadyrbayev plead guilty while #Tsarnaev's other college friends Tazhayakov & Phillipos were convicted @NECN

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 19m19 minutes ago
#Kadyrbayev is in the courtroom. He is uncuffed and talks with his attorney @NECN

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 18m18 minutes ago
As #Kadyrbayev walked in he looked at a man in the front row who waived to him. Unclear if he's a relative @NECN

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 58m58 minutes ago
Dias was just brought into courtroom, sits by his lawyers. Wearing a plaid shirt. Peers back at a man in front row, who waves at him.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 17m17 minutes ago
Judge Woodlock is in court. We are beginning the #Kadyrbayev sentencing hearing @NECN

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 55m55 minutes ago
At 9:10, Judge Woodlock enters the courtroom. Dias flanked by attorneys Robert Stahl and Laura K. Gasiorowski.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 55m55 minutes ago
Prosecutors are Stephanie Siegmann and John Capin.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 54m54 minutes ago
Judge contemplating whether Collier's family can give impact statements under Victims' rights act. His father-in-law submitted a statement.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 54m54 minutes ago
Collier's sister Jennifer Rogers wanted to give a statement in court, but no longer.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 16m16 minutes ago
Judge Woodlock says he has not yet accepted the plea deal sentence agreed upon by attorneys. @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 16m16 minutes ago
Judge now discussing whether Sean Collier's stepfather Joe Rogers will be allowed to give a victim impact statement @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 15m15 minutes ago
Judge Woodlock says he did permit Whitey Bulger's victims to give impact statements at Catherine Greig's sentencing @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 53m53 minutes ago
Judge saying has a tendency to allow . He allowed families of Bulger victims to speak at sentencing of gangster's girlfriend Catherine Greig

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 14m14 minutes ago
Judge Woodlock says he is leaning toward allowing Rogers to speak, but will wait to hear from attorneys first @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 11m11 minutes ago
#Kadyrbayev appears to be taking notes as Judge Woodlock talks about sentencing guidelines surrounding his plea deal @NECN

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 51m51 minutes ago
Prosecutors agreed to a sentence of no more than 7 yrs. But Judge has to go over calculations, which could put sentence at more than 20 yrs

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 10m10 minutes ago
Judge says there is a "terrorism enhancement" to the guidelines concerning the obstruction of justice charges @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 51m51 minutes ago
These calculations would be based on the terrorism application to the obstruction of justice charge.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 50m50 minutes ago
In other words, these charges go to obstruction of Tsarnaev investigation, which was a "weapon of mass destruction" investigation.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 8m8 minutes ago
Judge calls terrorism enhancement guidelines "ferocious in this context" because they could add up to life in prison. Defense agrees @NECN

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 47m47 minutes ago
Judge saying terrorism enhancement here "ferocious," requires sentence of 360 months to life. Exceeds statutory max of 25 year for charge

“And still, I can’t see, as a legal matter, why it’s not applicable here," the Judge says.

"It says what it says," the Judge says.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 46m46 minutes ago
Attorney Robert Stahl asks him to do that, and go to the agreement Dias reached with prosecutors for 7 years.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 7m7 minutes ago
Judge: "This guideline doesn't serve the purposes of sentencing...because of its blunt character" @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 43m43 minutes ago
So under guidelines, Dias faced 360 to life, though charge is capped at 25 years.

That said, Judge can downscale from terrorism enhancement, just as Judge O'Toole did in sentencing of Mehanna. He faced life, got 17 years.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 3m3 minutes ago
Judge asks to hear from the government as to why he should accept an "agreement that is substantially under" guidelines @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 2m2 minutes ago
Govt:terrorism enhancement is overly broad "it groups mass murderers & terrorist bombers with people who obstruct justice" @NECN #Kadyrbayev

“We agree the terrorism enhancement sweeps too broadly in some sense,” Siegmann agrees. Would lump what Dias did into what Tsarnaev did.

Siegmann saying goal of terrorism enhancement is to punish terrorists, who are repeat offenders, but this too broad in lumping in Dias

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 42m42 minutes ago
Siegmann saying this why they have agreed to 7 years. “Here…we don’t believe a sentence within this terrorism guideline is justified.”

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 1m1 minute ago
Govt says #Kadyrbayev is "unlikely to repeat his offense" says judge needs to look at nature of offense to go outside guidelines @NECN

Govt says there's a need to differentiate between people like #Kadyrbayev & his college friend marathon bomber Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev @NECN

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 4m4 minutes ago
Judge says he believes plea deal sentence is "reasonable" & "humane" says "government has shown admirable restraint" @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Judge tells court while 7 year plea deal sentence is binding, he can still accept or reject it @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 40m40 minutes ago
Woodlock can’t depart from agreement, has to accept it or reject it, but finds “it is a reasonable one.” He will accept plea.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 40m40 minutes ago
Woodlock accepted agreement, but will still hear arguments. Doesn't have to accept the full 7-year recommendation Siegmann is asking for.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 39s39 seconds ago
Govt says "even defendant admits his conduct was reprehensible" - AUSA calls his actions "callous" @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 38m38 minutes ago
Siegmann: Dias showed “callous disregard for the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, callous disregard for the citizens of Masachusetts”

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 57s57 seconds ago
Govt: #Kadyrbayev had a "callous disregard for the victims of the bombings...residents of MA...law enforcement officers" @NECN

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 37m37 minutes ago
“The defendant had in his power the ability to assist law enforcement in identifying terrorists and prevent further acts of violence." .

Says it could have prevented killing of Collier, and the Watertown shootout.

“Yet he chose to impede and obstruct a terrorism investigation,” she says.

Govt: #Kadyrbayev could have prevented Sean Collier's murder "yet he chose to impede & obstruct the terrorism investigation" @NECN

Govt: "It goes to his character & the background of the offense" that when FBI asked for help he removed evidence @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Govt says when #Kadyrbayev saw the news "Instantly he recognized that as Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev" texted him, called other friends @NECN

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 35m35 minutes ago
“When the FBI was requesting assistance from the public that is when the defendant made his decision... to go to Tsarnaev’s dorm room"

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 34m34 minutes ago
"and when they got there they removed critical evidence.” A computer, and backpack containing powder from fireworks.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 23s23 seconds ago
Govt says #Kadyrbayev went to #Tsarnaev's dorm room & decided with Tazhayakov to remove his laptop and backpack with fireworks in it @NECN

Siegmann going over timeline: Robel Phillipos ID'd Tsarnaev in photos, told Dias, who summoned Tazhayakov.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 32s33 seconds ago
Judge: there's mixed motive involved "conceal, cover up, transport evidence, but also to take valuable pieces of property" @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Dias exchanged texts with Tsarnaev, who told him to take what wanted from room. Dias, Tazhayakov go to dorm room and take computer, backpack

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 33m33 minutes ago
Judge pointing out jury acquitted Tazhayakov of obstruction by taking computer, only for backpack. But Siegmann saying Dias plead to both

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 31m31 minutes ago
Woodlock asks: “Anyone who was considering the evidence fully” would wonder why Dias didn't take the notorious "white hat" from dorm?

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 39s40 seconds ago
Judge points out if #Kadyrbayev & #Tazhayakov were truly concealing evidence for #Tsarnaev they would have taken the white hat @NECN

Siegmann saying no way to get into Dias' mind at the time, but Judge said particulars more "nuanced" than saying they looked for evidence

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 6s7 seconds ago
Judge: "that white hat was the icon for the investigation" @NECN #Kadyrbayev #Tsarnaev

Judge: it involves a somewhat more nuanced set of circumstances than just concealing evidence @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 29m29 minutes ago
Siegmann moving on, going to how after they leave dorm, they gather in New Bedford apartment, watching news.

Govt says #Tsarnaev friends monitored the manhunt, watched on TV as Watertown shoot out unfolded after leaving dorm room @NECN #Kadyrbayev

ilton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 32m32 minutes ago
“They’re seeing the fact that ...their friend, the bomber, is engaging in a shootout in Watertown."

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 32m32 minutes ago
"They carjacked a car, they killed a police officer," Siegmann saying.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 30m30 minutes ago
“They reached an agreement, to get rid of the backpack … to destroy evidence,” she said. “To impede an investigation.”

“They choose to affirmatively take acts to destroy evidence.”

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 30m30 minutes ago
Siegmann noting Tsarnaev computer was key at trial: Had jihadi docs such as Inspire mag, "How to make a bomb in the kitchen of your mom."

Govt says there were http://VK.com (Russian Facebook) messages made by #Kadyrbayev about #Tsarnaev during the manhunt @NECN

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 40s41 seconds ago
Govt says #Kadyrbayev posted on http://VK.com "it's like *advertiser censored***** September 11th over here. My best friend did this." @NECN

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 26s27 seconds ago
Govt says #Kadyrbayev was texting with #Tsarnaev two hours before Officer Sean Collier's murder @NECN

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 7s8 seconds ago
Govt: "At no time did defendant heed FBI's plea for help" but had knowledge his friend was the bomber @NECN #Kadyrbayev

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 27m27 minutes ago
“At no time did the defendant heed the FBI’s plea for help from the public,” Siegmann says.

Alysha Palumbo ‏@AlyshaNECN 7m7 minutes ago
Govt says #Kadyrbayev told investigators FBI photos of #Tsarnaev were blurry, but he was posting online his best friend was the bomber @NECN

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 27m27 minutes ago
Dias had said he didn’t recognize Tsarnaev in photos, but, “The defendant’s own actions refute that lack of knowledge claim.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ma1love