Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a serious question. It appears humorous and even sarcastic and I'm sorry but I don't know how else to ask it. Next week when a patient goes into a hospital with ' ebola ' like symptoms, when they ask if they've been to infected areas, will Dallas be on that list?

I hope not cause my kids are still there.. Then eventually they will have a funeral service with God knows who all showing up from their dad's church work etc. I wish they'd just come home asap and skip services.. Already have people in and out of house saying last goodbyes etc.. I'm just a worried mom can't help it..

I am a bit confused by people saying "west african countries have this under control" while WHO is saying the numbers of those infected are doubling every 3 weeks. 5 ebola cases are reported in an hour in Sierra Leone.

http://rt.com/news/192628-ebola-scare-london-conference/

WHO just released that the globe, not just the US, has four weeks (October 30th) to get a handle on the outbreak before it will be out of control.
Again, WHO projected 1.5 million infected by January 2015.

http://www.businessinsider.com/projected-ebola-cases-2014-9

I have little doubt that the "fiancee" i.e. the mother is infected.

Hoping against hope that isn't so. Because if she is infected, the other 3 are at much greater risk than they were. AWFUL. JMO

This is a serious question. It appears humorous and even sarcastic and I'm sorry but I don't know how else to ask it. Next week when a patient goes into a hospital with ' ebola ' like symptoms, when they ask if they've been to infected areas, will Dallas be on that list?

Serious answer. If a person goes into the hospital with Ebola like symptoms, we can assume it is someone already on the contact list or thinks they would have had contact with patient zero and would assume they would say so. Seriously, when the ER talks about travel, they talk about overseas travel not travel within their city. To consider that ER folks would say have you been to dallas when they live in dallas... doesn't make any logical sense to me. And if this person was outside of Dallas, they would be on the monitoring list I would think.

But to answer your question... doubt that question is on the CDC/WHO/etc list of questions that hospitals ask. Just perhaps contact information on anyone that has been ill. The media has everyone at high alert and educated...so only those that are hiding contacts perhaps are the ones that wouldn't tell upon entrance if they became ill.

:moo:

Serious answer. If a person goes into the hospital with Ebola like symptoms, we can assume it is someone already on the contact list or thinks they would have had contact with patient zero and would assume they would say so. Seriously, when the ER talks about travel, they talk about overseas travel not travel within their city. To consider that ER folks would say have you been to dallas when they live in dallas... doesn't make any logical sense to me...does it to you?

I think the poster means say someone in Salt Lake city goes to er there will they ask if they've been in Dallas.. Jmo

Something to keep in mind is that population density isn't necessarily as concerning as mobility.

There are very densely populated areas in Dallas. Worse, they abut less populated areas of businesses employed by people who daily commute to suburbs in all directions dozens of miles away.

So, it's much more difficult to put a net around it.

For example, those who live all the way up in McKinney, take the usual Highway into their Dallas workplace. McKinney people associate with Plano, Allen, Frisco, on and on.

Add to that, DFW being a major airport hub.

So Dallas is high risk not only from density and highly multicultural populations and pocket areas, but a very high level and broad area of commuting.

This doesn't mean we need to fear now. Next month, we should know if it was adequately isolated to his small circle. If it hits a suburb, only then will I really worry. JMO

I am a bit confused by people saying "west african countries have this under control" while WHO is saying the numbers of those infected are doubling every 3 weeks. 5 ebola cases are reported in an hour in Sierra Leone.

WHO just released that the globe, not just the US, has four weeks (October 30th) to get a handle on the outbreak before it will be out of control.

Not "Western Africa". Nigeria and Senegal have both locked down their outbreaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have an example of that?

I have not seen anyone claiming that.

People are saying that Nigeria and Senegal have this under control. Which they have if the lack of any new cases since the beginning of September is anything to go by.

It is well documented that the disease is out of control in Liberia and Sierra Leone and Guinea.

you need a hood, but maybe you could just use a plastic bag or something in a pinch.

Or just use safety/shooting glasses, to protect your eyes from particles.

From what I have seen the full suits have googles of some sort, they are not air-tight.

(Apologies for the previous deleted reply (if you saw it), I thought the hood comment referred to something else).

This is going to be so costly..............3000 troops building hospitals, all this hazardous waste, clean up, 100 + people in quarantine, expensive vaccines, meds................where will the money come from?

Ya know, I've had CNN on in the background for three days now and this afternoon I started thinking "Boy, they are really beating this to death". Then I thought "No, wait. If there was ever a story that they SHOULD be making a huge big deal out of, this is it."

Anyone think Obama saw that World Health Organization report a few days ago?

This is going to be so costly..............3000 troops building hospitals, all this hazardous waste, clean up, 100 + people in quarantine, expensive vaccines, meds................where will the money come from?

Those of us with no tax loopholes? JMO

From you and me. But hey, there are plenty of worse places our tax dollars could be spent. Maybe we will have to reduce our foreign aid payouts next year.

FOX 5 Atlanta ‏@FOX5Atlanta 5m5 minutes ago
Cobb officials: Inmate told deputy he had traveled to Africa. Deputies implemented safety protocol.

FOX 5 Atlanta
‏@FOX5Atlanta
4m4 minutes ago

Cobb Sheriff: Jail area was sanitized, two times. I'm proud of the way staff reacted

FOX 5 Atlanta ‏@FOX5Atlanta 4m4 minutes ago
Cobb Sheriff: We had procedures for this. Everything came together.

FOX 5 Atlanta @FOX5Atlanta · 2m2 minutes ago

Health Officials: NO reason to believe he has #EBOLA #Developing

Jennifer Banks @JBanksFOX5

· 2m2 minutes ago

#Ebola news conference: Today we had a situation to see how our protocols are working. I want to thank sheriff Warren and the intake nurse.

Jennifer Banks @JBanksFOX5 · 3m3 minutes ago

All of his lab work is negative. We have no reason to believe he (inmate) has #Ebola.

SHAME! on her for outing all the names of the contact folks SMH SMH SMH So wrong for her outing the names of the nurse etc. who first reported it. I understand she was thanking them...but really ...should not be done imho

Not according to the infectious disease Dr who said the waste treatment facilities weren't enough.. That waste had to sit five to ten minutes in a special solution before being flushed.

Chlorine solution is a tried & true antiviral/antimicrobial/antibacterial agent. The team working with the Doctors Without Borders field hospital in Sierra Leone routinely uses it as a disinfectant, per the video at the link below.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365321806/

Municipalities have been using chlorine to sanitize waste water in the U.S since 1908.

In England, the public water supply was chlorinated in 1905 to help combat an epidemic of typhoid fever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_chlorination

Chlorine works.

It's a pivotal question. It's relative to what I just posted about the high amount of travel Dallas entails.

It could change the whole ball game IF not stopped in this small circle of monitored people.

Personally, I would enforce every law we have to truly quarantine them all. Pay them for their trouble. But this simply cannot get loose in Dallas.

FOX 5 Atlanta ‏@FOX5Atlanta 5m5 minutes ago
Cobb officials: Inmate told deputy he had traveled to Africa. Deputies implemented safety protocol.

FOX 5 Atlanta
‏@FOX5Atlanta
4m4 minutes ago

Cobb Sheriff: Jail area was sanitized, two times. I'm proud of the way staff reacted

FOX 5 Atlanta ‏@FOX5Atlanta 4m4 minutes ago
Cobb Sheriff: We had procedures for this. Everything came together.

FOX 5 Atlanta @FOX5Atlanta · 2m2 minutes ago

Health Officials: NO reason to believe he has #EBOLA #Developing

Jennifer Banks @JBanksFOX5

· 2m2 minutes ago

#Ebola news conference: Today we had a situation to see how our protocols are working. I want to thank sheriff Warren and the intake nurse.

Jennifer Banks @JBanksFOX5 · 3m3 minutes ago

All of his lab work is negative. We have no reason to believe he (inmate) has #Ebola.

LOL. That inmate likely never traveled to Africa in his life, add time on to his "slap on the wrist" sentence for lying to the authorities.

Watching presser:

"we don't expect the test to be positive" ... ??? (watching presser live) OK..the test takes 6-9 hours so results at 9-12 tonight... Test today had to do with white count..his normal... platelet count normal... they look at liver tests.. absolutely normal.

The definitive lab test HAS NOT BEEN DONE!

ETA: Kenya/Nirobi/Nigeria was his travel.. layover in Monrovia Liberia but never left main airport for 3 hours other than a cigarette right outside airport. (for the last 44 days Nirobi hasn't had a case)

LOL. That inmate likely never traveled to Africa in his life, add time on to his "slap on the wrist" sentence for lying to the authorities.

lol yeah, but at least the jail had their protocol in order! JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member