Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about chartering a cruise ship to the mid Atlantic for quarantine? Provide the homeward bound healthcare workers with good food, drink & entertainment instead of throwing them in a tent or jail.:dunno:

and who would you staff this ship with?

And if we are going to quarantine people, they should be quarantined separately from each other. Not all together. Because if we were to quarantine 100 of people together, and one of them were to get Ebola, then the rest would have to be quarantined for 21 more days, and so on.

Prior point:
"Very interesting interview with Dr Fauci about quarantines, esp of HCW's returning to the US, and he made that point. In essence, you have someone who has bravely gone to fight this disease. Then they want to go home. Not sick. Yet we are saying they get jailed for weeks, and put in a less-than-decent setting, and can't go home until govt says so. "

What makes them special that they don't get quarantined? Better yet have them quarantined there, after they are done working with the infected people have them wait it out there doing paper work or something that does not include going out in public.

Again, you're missing the issue. The current rule is that if you are a HCW returning from work in WAfrica, you get jailed in quarantine for 3 weeks. Period. They are ALREADY being treated as "special,"if you want to call it that.

This "special" handling already has forced them into lousy conditions, crappy treatment, no visitors or amenities, you get whatever we decide to give you (and do without whatever we don't feel like) and you can't leave. And when they left the US, they signed up for none of that.

So while quarantine is of benefit on one level, the question is whether the protocol they have created creates a climate in which the HCWs will decide that it's too onerous to go to WAfrica and help.

Your answer is to jail them in another country for the 21 days? Wonderful, that's even better. ~sarcasm alert~ Wait, maybe send them to Guantanamo! That'll keep them from our doors.

The point is, this is not a issue where we can act on one front, and ignore the other ramifications. You have people putting their lives on the line as volunteers, and getting crapped on as a reward. That doesn't fly very long.

How about chartering a cruise ship to the mid Atlantic for quarantine? Provide the homeward bound healthcare workers with good food, drink & entertainment instead of throwing them in a tent or jail.:dunno:

LOL....the cruise ship owners and employees would probably be very expensive. Plus it would send the "wrong message" if folks were quarantined on a ship, it ain't no big deal remember?

But I did think the same thing about the cruise ship that was returned to Texas, no one was getting sick yet people were supposedly crying and such. Sheesh...they had ample food, liquor, comfortable quarters, I would have hung out in the bar with like-minded folks that had gallows humor.

<MODSNIP>

And we already have seen instances of people not complying with voluntary quarantine. And self-monitoring is even worse than self-quarantine.
Self-monitoring allows people to go out in public. Then every time one of them gets Ebola, you have to trace hundreds of people that they came in contact with.

The point is, this is not a issue where we can act on one front, and ignore the other ramifications. You have people putting their lives on the line as volunteers, and getting crapped on as a reward. That doesn't fly very long.

And what happens if it "doesn't fly very long"? They stop volunteering because it is INCONVENIENT? Okay then.

The amount of "real cocoa" in cheap chocolate may decrease, and the buyers of Nigerian oil may pay a bit more from other sources, and China will have to wait a bit to continue mining. Other than that no real loss for the rest of the world.

Have I forgotten something? And no it will NOT spread worldwide if we don't stop it in Sub-Saharan Africa. DO NOT LET IT SPREAD and it won't be a problem!

We can't even find a place to quarantine one woman? Why is she in a tent? There is no separate room to put her in?
If we were to get a lot of patients that need hospitalization, we really are in trouble.

We can't even find a place to quarantine one woman? Why is she in a tent? There is no separate room to put her in?
If we were to get a lot of patients that need hospitalization, we really are in trouble.

The "tent" thing is mighty suspicious. Who put up the "tent"? The military? Airport workers? Where did they place the "tent", on the tarmac? How do you confine someone to a tent? Without them walking out and causing havoc? Okay guards with weapons can confine but we have not heard about weapons, only about a tent.

Sounds like complete BS to me.

<snip>

Ms. Hickox has retained a well-known civil rights lawyer, Norman Siegel, to challenge the quarantine order and get her out of isolation. In an interview on Sunday, he said the order “raised substantial civil liberties issues.”

“The policy infringes on Kaci Hickox’s constitutional liberty interests,” he said. “The policy is overly broad as applied to Ms. Hickox and we are preparing to challenge it on her behalf.”

<snip>

A total of 52 people from the United States have worked with Doctors Without Borders in West Africa on the Ebola response since it began in March, according to a spokesperson for the group. Of these, 31 are currently at work in West Africa. Twenty of those 31 individuals are scheduled to return sometime in the next four weeks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/nyregion/ebola-quarantine.html

Volunteers. Many of the people working on cruise ships come from very impoverished developing countries & they are not accustomed to a cushy life immune from risks. It seems a lot of us here in the US feel that we are special & should never be faced with hardships. Truth is that I don't think I've every known anyone who has made it through life here in the US or anywhere else that has lived a trouble free life. Life is what it is............some of it is completely wonderful & some of it totally sorrowful beyond belief. There is no magical place where we can escape to avoid all problems. At least these dedicated, selfless medical workers have been risking their lives hoping to helping mankind on a worldwide basis. Whether we like it or not, we are all part of one big worldwide community. After all, we are supposed to be our brother's keeper & are supposed to treat others as we would like to be treated. Sadly, I think that is often forgotten. We accomplish nothing by sitting around & wringing our hands & thinking only about me, me, me & how can I be protected.

9/11 was a wonderful example of people rallying around & helping each other to overcome a devastating blow. Ebola seems to be bringing out the worst in humanity. JMO.

LOL, if you've watched the tv series "the last ship" I want it staffed with all of them. Especially the Captain!!!!!

LOL....the cruise ship owners and employees would probably be very expensive. Plus it would send the "wrong message" if folks were quarantined on a ship, it ain't no big deal remember?

But I did think the same thing about the cruise ship that was returned to Texas, no one was getting sick yet people were supposedly crying and such. Sheesh...they had ample food, liquor, comfortable quarters, I would have hung out in the bar with like-minded folks that had gallows humor.

Actually I live in Texas & saw tons of news reports interviewing returning passengers. The vast majority that I saw had no problem. They understood the situation & apparently took it all in stride. I also read some of the cruise boards & didn't see any post from unduly upset passengers. It was actually pretty amazing because a lot of cruise passengers complain when a port is missed because of weather conditions.

The people that signed up to assist with the ebola effort knew EXACTLY what they were getting into. There are risks to personal health and safety and they signed up exactly for that. Does being a humanitarian stop when they arrive home? Why should an unsuspecting public who hasn't "signed up" for the risks be exposed to them simply because someone who did chose to return home?

The "tent" thing is mighty suspicious. Who put up the "tent"? The military? Airport workers? Where did they place the "tent", on the tarmac? How do you confine someone to a tent? Without them walking out and causing havoc? Okay guards with weapons can confine but we have not heard about weapons, only about a tent.

Sounds like complete BS to me.

The nurse is answering questions to CNN Host

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/26/health/new-jersey-quarantined-nurse/index.html

Florida orders 21-day monitoring for Ebola

Scott signed the order Saturday, giving the Florida Health Department authority to monitor individuals for 21 days. Scott said in a press release that his administration had asked the CDC to identify risk levels of returning individuals from specific parts of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, requesting information specifically about the risk level for four people who had already returned. His office said that the CDC had identified the four individuals who faced some risk but had not provided the levels of risk.

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/health-fitness/article3386085.html

Volunteers. Many of the people working on cruise ships come from very impoverished developing countries & they are not accustomed to a cushy life immune from risks. It seems a lot of us here in the US feel that we are special & should never be faced with hardships. Truth is that I don't think I've every known anyone who has made it through life here in the US or anywhere else that has lived a trouble free life. Life is what it is............some of it is completely wonderful & some of it totally sorrowful beyond belief. There is no magical place where we can escape to avoid all problems. At least these dedicated, selfless medical workers have been risking their lives hoping to helping mankind on a worldwide basis. Whether we like it or not, we are all part of one big worldwide community. After all, we are supposed to be our brother's keeper & are supposed to treat others as we would like to be treated. Sadly, I think that is often forgotten. We accomplish nothing by sitting around & wringing our hands & thinking only about me, me, me & how can I be protected.

9/11 was a wonderful example of people rallying around & helping each other to overcome a devastating blow. Ebola seems to be bringing out the worst in humanity. JMO.

In that spirit then, " we have to fasten our own oxygen masks first, before aiding those requiring assistance".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member