Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems a lot of us here in the US feel that we are special & should never be faced with hardships.

People in impoverished countries do not seek out hardships either; they are not so arrogant they think it is a nice charitable hobby to deal with a highly deadly disease. Last I heard Mexico and Belize weren't about to "face hardship" when it came to Ebola.

I guess the citizens of Mexico and Belize live a cushy lifestyle, which is why they are special and do not want to face hardships. Either that or they have a bit of common sense.

The "tent" thing is mighty suspicious. Who put up the "tent"? The military? Airport workers? Where did they place the "tent", on the tarmac? How do you confine someone to a tent? Without them walking out and causing havoc? Okay guards with weapons can confine but we have not heard about weapons, only about a tent.

Sounds like complete BS to me.

Tent is inside the building. I don't understand why they can't find a separate room to put her in. She doesn't have a shower. How is she going to not shower for 3 weeks? Also there is no TV.
If they are going to quarantine people, at least they should keep them comfortable.

Tent is inside the building. I don't understand why they can't find a separate room to put her in. She doesn't have a shower. How is she going to not shower for 3 weeks? Also there is no TV.
If they are going to quarantine people, at least they should keep them comfortable.

The whole story just seems very very hokey to me. She doesn't have heat? Yet she is in a tent inside a building? She doesn't have TV? Or a shower? Yet she has access to the media?

Maybe she needs a high profile hug?

updated 3:12 PM EDT, Sun October 26, 2014

After hearing Hickox's phone interview with Candy Crowley on Sunday, New Jersey Health officials emailed CNN's "State of the Union" to refute some of the claims made by Hickox.

In the email, Donna Leusner, communications director for the New Jersey Department of Health, wrote that Hickox did receive reading materials and got computer access.

Leusner also wrote that "the patient was given a copy of the quarantine order on Friday and is receiving regular updated information."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/26/health/new-jersey-quarantined-nurse/index.html

Im sure they have alternative hygiene products that are disposable and not dependent on public sewer or waste disposal. ( premoistened bath wipes and shower caps)
A TV may be nice and she has computer access which gives her the ability to communicate and even watch TV.

Im curious why she would be quarantined when she has tested negative twice and is asymptomatic. There should be a protocol. YES quarantine immediately UNTIL negative results.
Whats the reliability factor of the tests?
A tent inside a building makes me think that perhaps the building isn't set up for isolation areas. seperate air supply and exhaust. It would be interesting to know what is on the outside of the tent.

Im sure they have alternative hygiene products that are disposable and not dependent on public sewer or waste disposal. ( premoistened bath wipes and shower caps)
A TV may be nice and she has computer access which gives her the ability to communicate and even watch TV.

Im curious why she would be quarantined when she has tested negative twice and is asymptomatic. There should be a protocol. YES quarantine immediately UNTIL negative results.
Whats the reliability factor of the tests?

She is quarantined because NJ decided to quarantine health workers that came in contact with Ebola patients after Dr. Spencer got Ebola. So even though she tested negative for Ebola they decided to keep her there for the incubation period of 21 days. In a tent. What are they going to do if more people show up? Set up more tents?
Dr. Spencer's fiancée is now quarantined in their apartment with a regular toilet and a shower. So toilet that can flush doesn't appear to be a concern. They should at least put this woman in a regular room with a shower and a toilet.

As for Ms. Hickox, her plane happened to land precisely at the wrong moment.

<modsnip>

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute for Allergies and Infectious Disease, said it was vital not to do anything that might interfere with the flow of health workers to West Africa.

&#8220;The harm is that it is totally disruptive of their life. We want them to go because they are helping us to protect America to be over there,&#8221; Dr. Fauci said on CNN.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/nyregion/ebola-quarantine.html

IMO dr fauci needs to stick to medicine and not transportation, but he's just a yes man anyway. jmo idk

Yes, it's a portable tent. They set it up inside the building. There is no shower. There is a portable toilet. There is a photo of it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/26/health/new-jersey-quarantined-nurse/index.html

Lordy..."No connection with the outside world except my iPhone".

Oh and CNN Headline is "My basic human rights are being violated".

That SPIN is beyond belief, she is very well spoken for being so "mistreated", she should be a speech writer instead of a nurse.

That is just....LOL....and HER HUMAN RIGHTS BEING VIOLATED which she shares with the world on her iPHONE!

Lordy..."No connection with the outside world except my iPhone".

Oh and CNN Headline is "My basic human rights are being violated".

That SPIN is beyond belief, she is very well spoken for being so "mistreated", she should be a speech writer instead of a nurse, living in a tent and not having a TV or shower and NO access to the outside world except her iPhone.....that is just....LOL....and HUMAN RIGHTS BEING VIOLATED which she shares on her iPHONE!

She actually is in a tent. And there is no shower. I'd go crazy if I couldn't shower for 3 weeks.

No, Duncan actually did have a 103 degrees fever during his first visit to the ER.

I wonder if they recorded Duncan's or anyoe else's temperature during the latter stage of Ebola. I can imagine the fever going as high as 108 degrees. I read Ebola can strike suddenly, one day they are fine and the next, they are very ill with high fever. These people who caught Ebola had a more gradual start.

If there is any reason to suspect someone on a vessel has the life-threatening disease, a ship in British waters will be required to divert to a port designated by the marine authorities, the MCA said in a circular sent to ports and their pilots.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/26/ebola-fear-shipping-industry-coastguard

AP Moller-Maersk, the world&#8217;s biggest liner operator, has said it is continuing to provide regular services to the affected countries in west Africa but some other companies have transferred vessels, and trade is down in Liberia by 30%.

She actually is in a tent. And there is no shower. I'd go crazy if I couldn't shower for 3 weeks.

Yeah and people chain themselves to days over trees if they believe in the cause. Or go on lengthy hunger strikes.

She was way way too "well spoken" for me to believe her, a speech writer wrote that stuff, most definitely. "Human Rights being Violated" etc....

Since when do human rights violations include being held without a hot shower or a television??? But just with food, comfortable bedding, AND a cell phone to share your story with CNN, etc????

I wonder if they recorded Duncan's or anyoe else's temperature during the latter stage of Ebola. I can imagine the fever going as high as 108 degrees. I read Ebola can strike suddenly, one day they are fine and the next, they are very ill with high fever. These people who caught Ebola had a more gradual start.

I am sure they did monitor his fever. His family actually got most of the medical records.

Although I am not personally sold on the idea of quarantining all medical workers coming from Ebola-affected countries, I will say this. Once a quarantine order is in place, there is no civil rights violation. Quarantine has the force of law behind it, period. And states have the authority to declare quarantine when they see fit.

Whether it is a good choice or not is another story, IMO. My feeling is that the situation with the nurse largely arose from her being the first one tossed in the quarantine pokey, and hence both the preparation and communication were poor. Hopefully both will improve. But the bottom line is that once a state declares a quarantine, the citizens have to comply. And let's face it, it would not be an enjoyable situation for anyone involved, IMO.

Yeah and people chain themselves to days over trees if they believe in the cause. Or go on lengthy hunger strikes.

She was way way too "well spoken" for me to believe her, a speech writer wrote that stuff, most definitely. "Human Rights being Violated" etc....

Since when do human rights violations include being held without a hot shower or a television???

I think she is talking about being held against her will without cause (at leas that's what she thinks).

Continue discussion here...

1) Blogs must be approved before posting.

2) Please read your post before hitting reply. If your post is personal to someone else, don't post it.

3) Posts about the political aspects need to be taken to the designated area on the forum. This is the link for political posts about ebola: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?252135-Contagious-Diseases

4) Post responsibly by linking to information.

5) Keep information relevant to the disease and steer away from bashing victims, conspiracy theories and race.

Mod note: Political and personal posts have been removed.

And let's face it, it would not be an enjoyable situation for anyone involved, IMO.

No it would NOT be enjoyable, and if I were in that situation I would not be crafting "compelling statements" that sound like a politicians speech writer. And I wouldn't be claiming "human rights violations" on my iPhone.

Human Rights violations are a heck of a lot harsher, and that term is NOTHING to be used casually.

No it would NOT be enjoyable, and if I were in that situation I would not be crafting "compelling statements" that sound like a politicians speech writer. And I wouldn't be claiming "human rights violations" on my iPhone.

Human Rights violations are a heck of a lot harsher, and that term is NOTHING to be used casually.

Indeed. IMO quarantine falls under the "suck it up, buttercup" rule once it's in place, though as I mentioned, I also think the first one was not optimally handled. Coming back from a long stressful trip like that and being quarantined suddenly would be difficult to wrap your head around. I do feel for the nurse for that reason, but it is not a civil rights violation, IMO. No doubt it will get better with time. JMO.

This is my last post here, take care all.

Article on what happened in Mali. A child who was already symptomatic traveled by public transportation. Potentially infecting a large number of people.

""The child's symptomatic state during the bus journey is especially concerning, as it presented multiple opportunities for exposures - including high-risk exposures - involving many people," the World Health Organization said in announcing the Malian case."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-outbreak-mali-scrambles-after-toddler-dies-of-disease-there/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove