Epic Snow Storm for Mid-Atlantic

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm right outside of Baltimore. We've gotten 20 inches so far and it's still coming down pretty hard. It's not supposed to stop until tonight.

ETA: We still have power, thank goodness!

I really hope those affected take warnings seriously. I live in MN, and while Minnesotans are used to severe snow storms, we still don't take warnings lightly.

Survived the night, we have around 22 inches on the ground and we are suppossed to get anther 4-8 before this ends later today. It is hard to measure the snow with the wind and snow drifts, am reading several areas have 30 inches already. That's quite a drop for a 24 hour time period. It's pretty heavy and hard to shovel, not for those with back/heart problems. Electricity went out several times last night, but came back on. I will not be surprised if we loose power here. Elphaba, I took your advice and I have plenty of back up coffee ready (fire wood too). I hope everyone is safe and warm.

I'll keep all you in that area in my prayers. We have some flurries today but that is it. After the kids being out of school all this past week because of snow last week I don't want to see anymore until next year :)

23 inches and counting in less than 24 hours. State police here are asking everyone to stay off the roads until 8:00 PM Sunday evening.

Gun-Free Snowball Fights Planned

Down vest, bullet-proof vest ... hey, you never know

Great news, folks! Fun-loving hipsters are planning a plethora of snowball fights Saturday, and if all goes as planned, these won't have guns at them!

So after you've purchased your five gallons of milk and 27 rolls of toilet paper, shun your stack of Netflix and bravely trek through the blinding white light of Snowpocalypse '10. At the scene of the original event, 14th and U streets N.W., the brave will converge once more for a snowball fight at noon in front of the Reeves Center.

But the Official Dupont Circle Snowball Fight just might be The Big One -- its Facebook numbers are hovering around 2,000 fans right now. The brouhaha is planned for 2 p.m. Frolic and throw without worrying about cars getting in your way. Especially not SUVs driven by MPD officers.

We Love D.C. reports on at least two battles planned: the Friendly "No Guns This Time, MPDC"! Public Snowball Fight on the Ellipse (noon to 3 p.m.) -- and one by the Smithsonian Metro station (bravely scheduled for 3 p.m. to midnight), appropriately titled Snowpocalypse II: Snowball Fight and Snow Kickball. We're not sure how the kickball folks will be able to keep track of the ball in the 17,000 feet of snow we're getting. But hey, we admire them for trying.

More at link...

http://www.nbcwashington.com/around-town/events/Gun-Free-Snowball-Fights-Planned-83637757.html

foot & a half here in Pittsburgh. SO glad me and me honey stocked up yesterday morning. anyone seen pittsburghgirl? Power was on and off until 10 AM been steady on since.

Southeaster, PA here. I guess about a foot and a half or so. Cars are covered. Just a few flurries left. My neighbors are out shoveling, but since I'm retired I believe I'll let the sun do the work, LOL. I'm all stocked up UNLESS I run out of cigarettes in the next 3 days.

We easily have over 24" here, it's up over 3 feet around the house with the drifts with about 4 feet around the fence. Hope everyone is staying safe, warm and dry. I'm amazed at the number of people driving around per the news and traffic cameras!

We are up to 27" with 3-6" more expected before all is said and done.

[video=youtube;gCaB_-qP1So]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCaB_-qP1So[/video]

Snowball fight today, Dupont Circle, Washington.

Thank you Search for posting the video! I watched it here at the house... it looked like they were having a load of fun. I love the Dupont Circle area... there is always an air of having fun there.

My update: we survived! LoL

In the backyard the snow did make it to the top of the inner fence, and the snow drifts pretty much hid the privacy fence. We were unable to get off of our front porch when all was said and done: the downed trees and destroyed shrubbery created a canyon of sorts, so the snow piled up in that one area chest high. Thankfully we could get out through the back door... once my daughter got out in the backyard to shovel us a path, standing at 6ft and nothing but legs, she found the snow coming up to her bum.

Our only worry now is that we don't lose electricity. As the sun set, skies cleared and the temps started dropping, so now there is a lot of freezing going on everywhere, especially on the wires and poles. :(

Oh, gotta give a shout out to the National Guard: they have been patrolling our neighborhood and helping out in this mess. To that I have to say thanks to them, and "Go Guard!!!!!".

Thank you Search for posting the video! I watched it here at the house... it looked like they were having a load of fun. I love the Dupont Circle area... there is always an air of having fun there.
You are very welcome ! Can you guys believe all this snow ? I just went out to help with the shoveling and it's overwhelming. We have quite a few that live here that are unable to shovel all the snow due to health problems, so everyone is trying to pitch in and help. It is really beautiful out there !

For all of you who live "up there" (from my vantage point in TX, LOL!), I salute you! I'm too much of a wimp for that kind of weather!

I was in the DC area and MD for training last February for 12 days. For this weekend, last year, Mr DD flew in for the weekend and we played tourists in DC. GORGEOUS spring-like weather, we couldn't have asked for better weather in DC in February! What a difference, I'm so glad it was last year that we were there.

Y'all be careful, and I so hope you don't lose power. Stay warm!

We're just North of Philadelphia, and it's been fluctuating between 6-8 and 8-12 inches forecast here.

Unfortunately we're expecting a baby any moment, which means it will probably happen midnight tonight right about the time the conditions are supposed to be "blizzard like."

Prayers that the baby decides to stay in "mommy's belly" for at least another 24-48 hours!

Celt:

I haven't seen any posts from you since this one yesterday. Hope you and your family are safe, warm, and dry.

per WPVI Philadelphia got 28.5 inches of snow, 2nd worst storm. Most public transit is suspended til tomorrow. I can see icicles hanging off light poles and lines, so far power (and cable, yea) are fine.

We survived as well! With 12 inches of snow. Now its just thawing out thats the problem, because it thaws for the day, and then freezes and makes things trecherous for the night drivers.

SFTruth - LOL, great info. to have for the blizzard! I'm on the west coast, but DH is in CT...Is it supposed to hit there?

Prayers to all effected, and baby Celt - stay put, it's gonna be nicer where you are at right now. You can wait a day or two...

ETA - anyone in that "bubble" area on SFT's link?

:wave: I am

We have power+cable+28inches of blowing drifting snow.

To those who call this a dusting: My husband is from Michigan and he says the difference is that out here we dont have the proper equipment to handle this much snow. We also have "budget issues" so we dont even use the equipment we do have. Fortunately out state has been declared a State of Emergency, so now we can use ALL of our plows. My street usually doesnt see a plow for 24-36 hrs after a 5 inch storm. Today we were cleared by a front end loader within 8hrs----COOL !!!!

Celt: I hope little celt stayed "inside"-especially since SEPTA wasn't running

To all my blizzard peeps: I had trouble finding you all, but I knew you were here somewhere. I hope you are all warm and safe. I will be praying for you all. By the way does anyone have any info on the next one coming tue/wed any guesses on how much that one will bring?????!!??

**********UPDATE******

Accuweather.com is calling it another "potential blizzard" for the northeast

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413