Explosion at the Boston Marathon #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another question.

How does facial recog work if the perps do not have any sort of criminal record-public photo?

After I went back to look through yesterdays thread, the only thing I was able to see was that the picture was intended for LE only, not the media. I presume (JMO) that the media latched on to what they "thought" was the right picture and started to circulate it. They were definitely mistaken. I have a bunch of links in one of my previous posts on page 21 of this thread.

I remember reading that too. I thought it was for LE eyes only.

The official, who spoke this morning on the condition of anonymity, said the best video has come from surveillance cameras on the same side of Boylston Street as the explosions. The official said the widely reported Lord and Taylor surveillance camera, which is across the street, and snapshots from individual cellphone camera users, have not provided the clearest images.

It was unclear why authorities did not publicize images of the unidentified suspects Wednesday. Jason Pack, a supervisory special agent with the FBI’s national office, said today that the agency has not made a determination on whether there will be a press conference, or whether to release photos.

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/0...wo-suspects/YejgNWAcmChcx2lUXigs5I/story.html

BBM

Not sure I'm falling for that again!

Will be interesting to see the video.

I don't think they will release the photos/videos UNTIL they have alleged suspects in custody. I hope they are hot on their trail.

But they could be halfway round the world by now. I'm sure all airline video is being reviewed also.

I'm still thinking they live close to the area or are very familiar with the area.

You may notice that the latest Boston Globe report also quotes "unnamed sources." I tend to agree with you...so lets count them all as unreliable.
snip-snip

And yet I'd trust a media concern that's been serving this very community for 141 years more than I would trust a national one which has barely turned 17.

You may notice that the latest Boston Globe report also quotes "unnamed sources." I tend to agree with you...so lets count them all as unreliable.

"investigators say" ..."according to our sources"....they all are doing the same thing. But I did noticeFox quoted Janet Napolitano as saying they had people in videos...they wish to interview.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/1...mid-hunt-for-persons-interest-seen-in-photos/

Yes, anything that cites an unnamed source is suspect in my eyes, including the Globe.

Napolitano speaking on record to a Senate committee would seem to be accurate, however.

I am ripping down wallpaper so have lots of time to ponder things.(worst household chore,IMO). Anyway,based on some of the things Janet Napolatano and this other Homeland Security guy are saying,I believe that they are pretty sure they have the guys on camera. I'm really starting to think they purposely fed the media wrong information so the real suspects don't know they are honing in on them. I believe its a matter of time until they have their identity from facial recognition software.(they also did a segment on that. Facinating!!). I think they are stalling a presser in hopes they can identify these guys without the help of the public.
I may be wrong,but I just don't see why LE would let innocent people be maligned for so long unless they had some ulterior motive.

I agree that it's puzzling. Yesterday, I thought they might have detained a suspect or suspects for questioning without a formal charge. Now I am thinking they have no idea who the men they want to interview are. There's something behind these leaks, even if it's only intra department turf wars. The AP was the first to go with the "in custody" story but various media were citing multiple independent sources. If they really need the help of the public, surely time is of the essence. I can understand the FBI not getting in the middle of internet sleuthing, but many outlets have published the pics of the white cap and blue shirt guys. Why no denial?

(OT: do you have a steamer? That makes the wallpaper shredding lots easier)

Benjamin Mull, vice president of business development and technology with the California-based company Tenergy, said he was aghast to see pictures distributed by national news outlets of possible remnants of one of the bombs, with a Tenergy Sub-C battery attached.

The batteries are made for specialty remote-controlled cars, and they are only known among more dedicated hobbyists and enthusiasts. The company said it has produced “tens of thousands” of the batteries over the past several years.

“It’s twisted because it’s a battery we built for a toy. To have it used this way is appalling,” Mull said. “Not in a million years would I have imagined. I don’t know anything about bombs, I don’t know how this would be used or could be used.”

Mull said his company does not sell them to large retailers, like Target or Walmart. Instead, he said, his company generally markets batteries to hobbyist stores or specialty battery stores.

“We’ve contacted Boston police and the FBI and will assist in any way we can,’’ Mull said. “We have not heard back from the FBI yet.”

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/0...wo-suspects/YejgNWAcmChcx2lUXigs5I/story.html

BBM

Hopefully the serial number is still visible.

Perhaps where the battery was purchased will be the tip to bring these terrorist to trial.

JMO

I have another question.

How does facial recog work if the perps do not have any sort of criminal record-public photo?

The segment I saw on it, shows them looking through drivers liscenses. I know it would be like finding a needle in a haystack,but maybe they narrow it down by age,haircolor, ethnicity,etc. Then maybe if they believe the suspect might live nearby ,run the addresses. When they get the results they get some sort of rating system based on points,the higher the number the more features are the same. I'm sure its a tedious job,but its seems to work.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2327935/Photo Apr 15, 2 41 04 PM.jpg

This photo is new to me. It was taken 8 minutes before the first blast. You can clearly see Jeff, and I think I can see the 2 deceased victims near him too.

All other pictures from this angle were 35 minutes before the blast and soon after the blast. I thought they were part of the hahatango set here but I can't see that picture on it http://www.flickr.com/photos/hahatango/sets/72157633252445135/with/8652825435.

So does anyone have more pictures from this set? This is definitely the closest time i've seen before the bomb exploded, from this angle anyway

I agree that it's puzzling. Yesterday, I thought they might have detained a suspect or suspects for questioning without a formal charge. Now I am thinking they have no idea who the men they want to interview are. There's something behind these leaks, even if it's only intra department turf wars. The AP was the first to go with the "in custody" story but various media were citing multiple independent sources. If they really need the help of the public, surely time is of the essence. I can understand the FBI not getting in the middle of internet sleuthing, but many outlets have published the pics of the white cap and blue shirt guys. Why no denial?

(OT: do you have a steamer? That makes the wallpaper shredding lots easier)

I got to wondering whether they had had a different agency make the arrest: ICE, AFT, state police, fish and game, something like that. Maybe on a different charge that would let them hold the person for a while.

Either that or they had A person in custody, were questioning them, and realized either it was the wrong person or they didn't have enough evidence.

Lots of things that could have happened.

I have another question.

Investigators can cross-match footage from one video/CCTV source with other video/CCTV sources in an attempt to track a potential POI/suspect's movements over a particular timeframe.

Example: if CCTV footage shows a potential POI/suspect getting into or out of a vehicle, and if the make/model of the vehicle and/or the license plate can be ID'd, LE can then attempt to trace the plates to the person(s) they're interested in interviewing.

Facial recognition software can also be used to cross-match images from CCTV footage from retail stores that show a potential POI/suspect purchasing items related to the crime.

IIRC, investigators have requested CCTV footage from restaurants/stores in the immediate vicinity of the bombs. Hopefully, they've also requested footage from retail stores in the greater Boston area. IMO, I think they have, and are painstakingly poring over countless hours of footage.

Yes, anything that cites an unnamed source is suspect in my eyes, including the Globe.

Napolitano speaking on record to a Senate committee would seem to be accurate, however.

One can only hope.

I was referring to the "unnamed sources" portion of the post I quoted. Should have snipped it to make it clear. Will fix.

I understand your point of view...but CBS News was was of the pioneers of news broadcasts...so very trusted for so many years...yet gave us Dan Rather and "fake but accurate." IMO there is so much intrinsic bias...on all sides...that it is preferable if someone is willing to put THEIR NAME and their REPUTATION along with their words.

I understand your point of view...but CBS News was was of the pioneers of news broadcasts...so very trusted for so many years...yet gave us Dan Rather and "fake but accurate." IMO there is so much intrinsic bias...on all sides...that it is preferable if someone is willing to put THEIR NAME and their REPUTATION along with their words.
But some have a name and a reputation synonymous with sensationalism and bias.

Maybe this has been covered,but who was the original source for the white baseball cap,gray hoodie,black coat,black backpack? Was that just another made up description?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme