Family Sues School District for Indoctrinating Their Children Into a Cult

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wellesley College Tuition for upcoming school year per student.

2014-2015

Tuition $44,802
Student
Activity
Fee $276
Room $7,086
Meal Plan $6,874
Total $59,038

Remember, they have two daughters attending there. I didn't look up the cost of staying there for the Summer.
Who are these people and why is their identity being withheld?

AFFIDAVIT of Paul Grosswald in PADGETT custody case
11 Apr 2000 09:15:29 -0700

AFFIDAVIT

I, Paul Grosswald, of Long Island, New York, testify to the following as truthful and factual.

On May 6, 1994 1 testified in the Hopkins Circuit Court (Madisonville, KY) for the Padgett vs. Padgett case. I was impelled to do so for the following reasons:

1. Julie and Beau Padgett's freedom, constitutional rights, and future are endangered by Scientology.

2. As a former Scientologist, I have direct knowledge about Scientology and its policies.

Blah, blah, blah...

http://wonkette.com/550043/are-your...-cult-teachers-for-magical-realism-assignment

My god… they sound like… TEENAGED GIRLS! CBS’s reporting isn’t much better, though it refers to a “coven” and, more helpfully, includes links to the parents’ complaint and the school’s response, which is just three lines, saying only that no previous allegations of the sort had ever been made and that the district’s legal counsel is handling it. Wow, looks like the entire district is infected with very secretive, non-communicative language!

Read more at http://wonkette.com/550043/are-your...agical-realism-assignment#Gm04fKfXLPyky2zv.99

The complaint reads as a bit hysterical to me. now the coverage seems a bit on that side too.

Sorry but it is very difficult to take this suit seriously.

In regard to the attorney, and why he is handling this case even though it would appear to not be his area of practice, well there you have it. He has a certain propensity or bias due to life experience to believe these parents.

MOO other attorneys opted not to touch this case with a ten foot pole. The Does sought out Mr. Grosswald because they were aware he might be swayed to believe their allegations moreso than another attorney.

MOO,JMO, IMO It remains to be seen if there is any proof in this pudding. So far its all allegations with no substantiation.

Wonder how much this will cost the school district to defend? Wonder at what point the district's attorneys will advise them to settle for budgetary concerns?

Wonder if settling will serve to satisfy or if this is bigger, about besmirching.

just my thoughts at this time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cut-indoctrinated-familys-daughters-cult.html

Wow
At the end of above link school says they never heard about any of this until the ls. I have a problem with that if it is true

Who is "they" and what's the "Is"? I read the article but couldn;t figure that out!

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Cult indoctrination can be very insidious and hard to detect by outsiders (even family members) while it's happening. It does appear that there have been pretty aggressive measures taken to alienate the kids from their parents and their parents' beliefs, and deception/fraud and secrecy has been used to accomplish this. That alone is a pretty good indicator of cult-like indoctrination. I'm not going to write the parents' allegations off as frivolous or misguided just yet.

It is too late to do anything about the two older kids - and if this turns out to be cult indoctrination, this is a typical outcome and why it's do difficult to protect against cult abuse. No one sees the big picture or knows what's really happening until it's too late.

Even if the parents are overreacting, I applaud them for filing suit and taking steps to protect their youngest child; it will at least shine a bright light on what's going on at Avon and perhaps motivate other parents to look more closely at what's going on with their own children.(unless, of course, it turns out the parents are totally nuts and their allegations are complete fiction)

ETA: I have some pretty significant experience working with cult victims and litigating against cults - so my ears perk up at allegations of cult abuse. FWIW

I'm wondering if you've read the compliant. It is illogical and irrational:

1. They are suing the school, the district and the teachers but they are also suing unrelated Wellesley college. For allowing the kids to have use of an alumni hall in which they danced like: "whirling dervishes".
2. They describe repeated instances of inappropriate behavior on the part of the staff at the high school, which the parents were made aware of at the time these things occurred, yet they do not state that they spoke to the principal, the district, or otherwise ever complained, to no avail. And the district states they never received a complain either.
3. There has not been a hint, anywhere, of any other complaints by any other students or parents or faculty of "cult" activity occurring at the school or among theses teachers, or of anything inappropriate involving any of the staff named. Why is only this family targeted? Why would no other student ever disclose to a parent or guardian occult teachings? Ever?
4. The complaint fails to name the cult or give any identifying info about it such as location, leadership, membership, etc.
5. The complaint mistakes a literary device (which I learned about here, Nova!), as a religious occult teaching. That's kind of like saying, "My kids were taught about astronomy in class! I do not appreciate them being taught divination!!!" (Embarrassing).
6. The supposed aspects of the cult sound more like different aspects of religious practices or philosophies or pseudoscience that people may discuss when studying literature.
7. The complaint contains many things that have nothing at all to do with any cult activity such as :

185. …E.D. [the oldest daughter] suddenly declared that her major would be philosophy, instead of political science or international relations like she originally decided.

210. E.D. behaved rudely towards her friends, often calling them “superficial” and accusing them of not following their “passions.”

The teacher “frequently gave the students busy work, or showed them movies with no educational value, during which the students would spend the entire period talking to each other.”

I'd place a money wager that there's no cult here - just incredibly crazy parents. Or, if there is any bit of truth to any of the allegations, crazy parents and one bad teacher who may have been engaging in an inappropriate sexual relationship with her student or former student.

Gitana in Nursebeeme's post "they" is the school/district. ls is LS or lawsuit. Nurse was noticing that the school/district claims to have heard no complaints of this nature til they received notification of the suit.

I have read the first 19 pages of the complaint and so far I have seen nothing that points to a religious cult indoctrination to me. Some of the things sound like typical teenagers trying to distance themselves from the parents, other things sound like teenagers with mental health issues (eg. suicidal ideation, flat affect, the difficult relationships with the peers who allegedly were troubled by "advances"). The teacher's behavior as described sounds partly incompetent and unfocused and partly inappropriate but more in an inappropriately intimate (sexual?) manner than religious indoctrination. But if the parents never complained before it seems like some things might have been made up.

Some allegations just seem irrelevant. A teacher visits and then a week later something happens with a friend - of course it has to be the teacher's fault...? Talking about negativity and toxic relationships is not uncommon.

4. The complaint fails to name the cult or give any identifying info about it such as location, leadership, membership, etc.

I'd place a money wager that there's no cult here - just incredibly crazy parents. Or, if there is any bit of truth to any of the allegations, crazy parents and one bad teacher who may have been engaging in an inappropriate sexual relationship with her student or former student.

Respectfully snipped, and BBM.

Is it possible the plaintiffs actually know, or have the name of the "cult" the allege has been targeting their daughters? Might they refrain from naming it in the initial complaint for some kind of "valid" legal reason, in addition to their own "anonymity" as John and Jane Does? (Doesn't seem at all reasonable to me, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.)

For instance, could they think their own lives were in danger, if they "named" the cult?

Or that the "cult" might destroy or alter some evidence if they were "named"? (Such as a "membership" document, or a list of members, or something?) But then, they named the 4 teachers outright.

The whole cloak and dagger thing with anonymity for the plaintiffs and the "cult" seems so very odd to me.

Well, the entire complaint seems very odd, too. Bizarre, in fact. Everything but the kitchen sink is thrown in there. Who writes like that??

Is it SO bizarre (legally bizarre, I mean) that it could just be dismissed?

It sure does strike me that the parents are very unhappy that they have lost "control" over the religious and other life decisions made by their adult kids. And lost "control" over who the adult kids have as friends, who they talk to and associate with, etc.

It would be interesting to know if this family has a history of being very insular-- had a limited circle of friends, or only associated with people from their church.

Who is "they" and what's the "Is"? I read the article but couldn;t figure that out!

I'm wondering if you've read the compliant. It is illogical and irrational:

1. They are suing the school, the district and the teachers but they are also suing unrelated Wellesley college. For allowing the kids to have use of an alumni hall in which they danced like: "whirling dervishes".
2. They describe repeated instances of inappropriate behavior on the part of the staff at the high school, which the parents were made aware of at the time these things occurred, yet they do not state that they spoke to the principal, the district, or otherwise ever complained, to no avail. And the district states they never received a complain either.
3. There has not been a hint, anywhere, of any other complaints by any other students or parents or faculty of "cult" activity occurring at the school or among theses teachers, or of anything inappropriate involving any of the staff named. Why is only this family targeted? Why would no other student ever disclose to a parent or guardian occult teachings? Ever?
5. The complaint mistakes a literary device (which I learned about here, Nova!), as a religious occult teaching. That's kind of like saying, "My kids were taught about astronomy in class! I do not appreciate them being taught divination!!!" (Embarrassing).
6. The supposed aspects of the cult sound more like different aspects of religious practices or philosophies or pseudoscience that people may discuss when studying literature.
7. The complaint contains many things that have nothing at all to do with any cult activity such as :

185. …E.D. [the oldest daughter] suddenly declared that her major would be philosophy, instead of political science or international relations like she originally decided.

210. E.D. behaved rudely towards her friends, often calling them “superficial” and accusing them of not following their “passions.”

The teacher “frequently gave the students busy work, or showed them movies with no educational value, during which the students would spend the entire period talking to each other.”

No I haven't read the complaint. I just don't have the energy. My comments were based on the OP and comments here.

I certainly could be wrong. I just meant I'm not writing it off as phony until I find out more.

Here is a video of Mastoloni... [video=youtube;2XLFVbAOgQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLFVbAOgQ8[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back