Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are so awesome....thanks for all the snapshots of the book. I ordered the paper version (I am old school and wanted the actual book) but I think I ordered it too late. I'll get it Thursday. It's all I can do to not download it to my Kindle because I want to read it so badly. It's a matter of principle. Everytime I order a new release, I get it that Tuesday, maybe I waited too long? Oh well. I will wait until Thursday...but I couldn't stop myself from reading this thread. I knew the WSers wouldn't disappoint. Rock on all!

In the dark, i too ordered hard copy but could not wait so downloaded it. I am giving it to another hard and fast murder believer who knows some of the parties. This book proves these deaths will never be put to rest as they now stand. Very unlike what I think SDSO expected with their half-investigation.

The book I feel is generally kind to JS. Now I am going to guess that it went through some tough legal review and maybe the thinking was to just get it published even if it took some dilution of the info concerning him. But with that being said, if Jonah was so supportive of finding out the real story of Rebecca's death, then why was he so adamant about not allowing the Zahau family's investigators in the mansion without SDSO? Come one now, more posturing??

The book I feel is generally kind to JS. Now I am going to guess that it went through some tough legal review and maybe the thinking was to just get it published even if it took some dilution of the info concerning him. But with that being said, if Jonah was so supportive of finding out the real story of Rebecca's death, then why was he so adamant about not allowing the Zahau family's investigators in the mansion without SDSO? Come one now, more posturing??

Wondering if he didn't think it was a suicide, but also just wanted it all to end (sorry, I know I've said this). I can just see him as going into CEO mode and conducting damage control plus just not responding. In all fairness, I think he put it back on SDSO to go with them and they wouldn't? Of course, I don't know why this was a condition except as I said to keep them in his good graces or repay a favor.

Here's another part of a theory I have - the crime scene was convoluted/staged or something of that nature. Someone did a good enough job that SDSO figured it would take a lot of time and other resources to get enough evidence for the DA to convict. Call me skeptical, but I think this happens a lot when they see it would take too many resources and they see high dollar lawyers possibly looming. They figured they could get away with it and convince Jonah it was a suicide. He wanted to get on with his life/business after the loss of his son and his partner. Maybe SDSO really thought it was a murder, had narrowed down the suspect base, but realized they could also claim it was a suicide... so that's what they did because it was the easier path and thought no one would fight it.

Pages 210 and 211
"It was a warm night and out front windows were open, " she said. "I heard kids teenagers hollering from the beach side of the street. We're used to that. But it was 10 minutes later about twenty minutes to twelve when I heard a woman screaming. It came from the direction of Jonah's house."

"it wasn't the kids yelling again?"
"No." She shook her head sharply. "This was a grown woman maybe in her late twenties or early thirties. There's a difference. I heard a scream, and then another scream, and then 'Help! Help!' I turned the TV down to listen."

Pages 212 - 213
The Web designer/bicyclist who spotted a women at the Spreckels Mansion checking the door, but didn't go in, nervously turning around, and walking back and forth as if she was "trying to decide whether to go in." Then she came down from the porch, walked back and forth some more, hesitated, and started pacing again. Finally she walked along some grass that adjoined the driveway and disappeared.

Curious, he'd checked the name "Shacknai" on his computer and came across a photograph of Dina Shacknai. He was positive that she was the woman he had seen at 1043 Ocean Blvd. He told detectives.

Page 214 talks about the back door being kept unlocked.
The back door of the mansion was never locked. A few people knew that.

Wondering if he didn't think it was a suicide, but also just wanted it all to end (sorry, I know I've said this). I can just see him as going into CEO mode and conducting damage control plus just not responding. In all fairness, I think he put it back on SDSO to go with them and they wouldn't? Of course, I don't know why this was a condition except as I said to keep them in his good graces or repay a favor.

Here's another part of a theory I have - the crime scene was convoluted/staged or something of that nature. Someone did a good enough job that SDSO figured it would take a lot of time and other resources to get enough evidence for the DA to convict. Call me skeptical, but I think this happens a lot when they see it would take too many resources and they see high dollar lawyers possibly looming. They figured they could get away with it and convince Jonah it was a suicide. He wanted to get on with his life/business after the loss of his son and his partner. Maybe SDSO really thought it was a murder, had narrowed down the suspect base, but realized they could also claim it was a suicide... so that's what they did because it was the easier path and thought no one would fight it.

I must be real ethical because I think if I were SDSO and thought it was murder, I would not try to convince the public (and Jonah) that Becky committed suicide just to save money and resources. How can people who work for law and order be so callous and unjust?

Ann Rule's book makes it seem as if Jonah is entirely innocent, that he did not know who would harm Rebecca and that he did not have the motive (he genuinely loved Rebecca and thought Max's accident was just that, an accident) nor the opportunity (he was caught on videotapes the night Rebecca was killed). But why was Jonah so accepting that Rebecca "hung herself", and how could he not know about the animosity Dina had for Rebecca?

Sorry just don't buy it. Jonah knew about Dina's violent propensities from their marriage. He also must have felt Dina's animus towards Becky at the hospital that Monday into Tuesday right after Max's injury. Why was he so silent about this to the police? Why did he only mention Becky's ex, NN, to LE?

Pages 210 and 211
"It was a warm night and out front windows were open, " she said. "I heard kids teenagers hollering from the beach side of the street. We're used to that. But it was 10 minutes later about twenty minutes to twelve when I heard a woman screaming. It came from the direction of Jonah's house."

"it wasn't the kids yelling again?"
"No." She shook her head sharply. "This was a grown woman maybe in her late twenties or early thirties. There's a difference. I heard a scream, and then another scream, and then 'Help! Help!' I turned the TV down to listen."

Pages 212 - 213
The Web designer/bicyclist who spotted a women at the Spreckels Mansion checking the door, but didn't go in, nervously turning around, and walking back and forth as if she was "trying to decide whether to go in." Then she came down from the porch, walked back and forth some more, hesitated, and started pacing again. Finally she walked along some grass that adjoined the driveway and disappeared.

Curious, he'd checked the name "Shacknai" on his computer and came across a photograph of Dina Shacknai. He was positive that she was the woman he had seen at 1043 Ocean Blvd. He told detectives.

Page 214 talks about the back door being kept unlocked.
The back door of the mansion was never locked. A few people knew that.

And the few people who knew about the backdoor to the mansion being unlocked were: Jonah, Adam, Dina, Nina and Becky, and perhaps deliverypeople and hired mansion helpers like the chef and his family who lived at the Spreckels. Of this group of people, who had the most motive, opportunity and means?

Thanks, everyone, for the book previews! I've been under the weather, but will download it from Kindle tomorrow.

As for Adam & Ambien, unless he submitted to a drug test, I'll remain skeptical. It's possible Pfingst told him to use that excuse to get out of the LDT.

Can't wait to read it!

Thanks, everyone, for the book previews! I've been under the weather, but will download it from Kindle tomorrow.

As for Adam & Ambien, unless he submitted to a drug test, I'll remain skeptical. It's possible Pfingst told him to use that excuse to get out of the LDT.

Can't wait to read it!
Hope that you are feeling better!

I must be real ethical because I think if I were SDSO and thought it was murder, I would not try to convince the public (and Jonah) that Becky committed suicide just to save money and resources. How can people who work for law and order be so callous and unjust?

Ann Rule's book makes it seem as if Jonah is entirely innocent, that he did not know who would harm Rebecca and that he did not have the motive (he genuinely loved Rebecca and thought Max's accident was just that, an accident) nor the opportunity (he was caught on videotapes the night Rebecca was killed). But why was Jonah so accepting that Rebecca "hung herself", and how could he not know about the animosity Dina had for Rebecca?

Sorry just don't buy it. Jonah knew about Dina's violent propensities from their marriage. He also must have felt Dina's animus towards Becky at the hospital that Monday into Tuesday right after Max's injury. Why was he so silent about this to the police? Why did he only mention Becky's ex, NN, to LE?

I know what you mean about all of it. I think though that LE/DA's are not always seeking the truth.

As far as Jonah... I'm sure he knew about the animostiy, past and very present, and I wouldn't doubt he thought it was a murder and had his #1 suspect. All I'm saying is that he probably doesn't think like you and I. Some people will go on and basically save their own skin (his business in this case?). I'm sure he realized at some point a trial for murder would take up a lot of time... it wouldn't be good for his position either. I don't know, I'm not explaining it well. I had a relationship with a narcissist and I'm visualizing he would do the same thing.

I know what you mean about all of it. I think though that LE/DA's are not always seeking the truth.

As far as Jonah... I'm sure he knew about the animostiy, past and very present, and I wouldn't doubt he thought it was a murder and had his #1 suspect. All I'm saying is that he probably doesn't think like you and I. Some people will go on and basically save their own skin (his business in this case?). I'm sure he realized at some point a trial for murder would take up a lot of time... it wouldn't be good for his position either. I don't know, I'm not explaining it well. I had a relationship with a narcissist and I'm visualizing he would do the same thing.

I understand about narcissists and even their self-serving business-minded focus, but the descriptions given by Ann Rule and Dr. Luber in the book describe Jonah as a completely different character with moral integrity, fortitude, and reason. He doesn't sound like a narcissist in the book. Quite the contrary, he sounds like a gentleman who genuinely loved Rebecca.

Narcissists are incapable of loving anyone but themselves, and I don't think they're able to hide their egocentric side from others.

That's what I don't understand. How could he have loved Rebecca if he was willing to let Rebecca take the fall for Max's accident, get Rebecca killed, then influence LE to rule her death a suicide and close the case quickly, and prevent Anne Bremner's team from gaining access into the Spreckels mansion to investigate and do a re-creation of the crime?

Something just doesn't fit. I don't believe a person can be two very different things unless they have a split personality.

Either Jonah's a narcissistic businessman who only cares about himself and his business/money, or he's a genuinely compassionate, loving, generous man to Rebecca and his children who tries to do the right thing but is nonetheless flawed as all human beings are.

I don't know how to reconcile these two contrasting images of Jonah. I'm in conflict. It makes me wonder whether he conspired in the murder of Rebecca, or that he was totally unaware and just caught in the cover-up, or perhaps he had absolutely nothing to do with the crime.

I wonder why Ann Rule mentions that Rebecca was riding a bike on Ocean Boulevard while wearing a bikini? Seems odd to me........EVERYONE rides bikes in Coronado.

I wonder why Ann Rule mentions that Rebecca was riding a bike on Ocean Boulevard while wearing a bikini? Seems odd to me........EVERYONE rides bikes in Coronado.

She made numerous comments about how beautiful RZ was, and the 2 bicycle comments, iirc, were about a possible stalker seeing her riding in a bikini. AR leaves the door open that she could have been murdered by a stalker or a stranger. AR also comments that RZ's attractiveness could have been a barrier for her forming female friendships on Coronado Island.

She made numerous comments about how beautiful RZ was, and the 2 bicycle comments, iirc, were about a possible stalker seeing her riding in a bikini. AR leaves the door open that she could have been murdered by a stalker or a stranger. AR also comments that RZ's attractiveness could have been a barrier for her forming female friendships on Coronado Island.

Or maybe that Dina was once slender and beautiful like Rebecca?

I understand about narcissists and even their self-serving business-minded focus, but the descriptions given by Ann Rule and Dr. Luber in the book describe Jonah as a completely different character with moral integrity, fortitude, and reason. He doesn't sound like a narcissist in the book. Quite the contrary, he sounds like a gentleman who genuinely loved Rebecca.

Narcissists are incapable of loving anyone but themselves, and I don't think they're able to hide their egocentric side from others.

That's what I don't understand. How could he have loved Rebecca if he was willing to let Rebecca take the fall for Max's accident, get Rebecca killed, then influence LE to rule her death a suicide and close the case quickly, and prevent Anne Bremner's team from gaining access into the Spreckels mansion to investigate and do a re-creation of the crime?

Something just doesn't fit. I don't believe a person can be two very different things unless they have a split personality.

Either Jonah's a narcissistic businessman who only cares about himself and his business/money, or he's a genuinely compassionate, loving, generous man to Rebecca and his children who tries to do the right thing but is nonetheless flawed as all human beings are.

I don't know how to reconcile these two contrasting images of Jonah. I'm in conflict. It makes me wonder whether he conspired in the murder of Rebecca, or that he was totally unaware and just caught in the cover-up, or perhaps he had absolutely nothing to do with the crime.

It caught my attention when a marriage counselor stated that Dina never mentioned Jonah was physically aggressive toward her.

“No charges of domestic violence were brought. Paradise Valley investigators did talk to a marriage counselor who Dina said would vouch for her fear that she would lose custody of her son with Jonah if she fought back. The therapist confirmed that, but he said Dina had never said Jonah was physically aggressive toward her.”

Excerpt From: Rule, Ann. “Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.” This material may be protected by copyright.

A 'wannabe'? Give me a break. You can diss it if you like, but that doesn't mean it's insignificant. the guy hardly seems like he is looking for his 10 minutes of fame - exactly how did he get any attention out of this. Oh, that's right, he didn't. You are putting someone down just because you don't want him to be right.

Like I said, Dina has no alibi and Nina outed herself. Pretty darn suspicious when you're having all that activity late at night on the phone and at the house of a woman who ends up dead shortly after.

The informant's wife also saw the woman walking on the estate. 2 witnesses, not just one were found not credible.

“The informant told detectives he thought she was behaving in a peculiar way, but at that point his kids and wife had caught up with him. His wife had also seen the indecisive woman walking toward the back of Shacknai’s estate on the driveway and then into the shadows beyond. They both wondered about her, but she didn’t exactly look like a home invasion robbery suspect, so they rode on home, arriving at about 11:25 P.M..”

Excerpt From: Rule, Ann. “Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.” This material may be protected by copyright.

Ok. So there were witnesses that supposedly placed DS at the hospital during the night of the murder. So...... She wasn't seen on video, but presumably there were witnesses who saw her there.
Who? Her sister? Her sister's son? Or...nurses? Doctors? The type of witnesses are important. That wasn't addresses and it leaves me with a nagging feeling.

Ok. So there were witnesses that supposedly placed DS at the hospital during the night of the murder. So...... She wasn't seen on video, but presumably there were witnesses who saw her there.
Who? Her sister? Her sister's son? Or...nurses? Doctors? The type of witnesses are important. That wasn't addresses and it leaves me with a nagging feeling.

If there were witnesses that could place Dina at the hospital, then why didn't Gore state that instead of the BS about her phone being there?

BBM - I think they hide it fairly well and there are different degrees of narcissism. Many probably do love on some level, but it's when something comes in conflict with their image, control, or needs that their decisions seem odd. The contrast. I don't think narcissist are necessarily bad people. Maybe Jonah was a "a genuinely compassionate, loving, generous man to Rebecca and his children who tries to do the right thing but is nonetheless flawed as all human beings are". IDK. Some people will just take the path of least resistance.

You say:

"How could he have loved Rebecca if he was willing to let Rebecca take the fall for Max's accident, get Rebecca killed, then influence LE to rule her death a suicide and close the case quickly, and prevent Anne Bremner's team from gaining access into the Spreckels mansion to investigate and do a re-creation of the crime?"

I'm not sure at all that he let Rebecca take the fall for Max's accident. I think I said this earlier. Whatever Jonah did or said could have been within all of our normal ways of responding, but for some people it only takes a tiny thread to go overboard and run with it. I think that's exactly what we see in the Boy Interrupted article. People like that WILL find something, anything.

I'm also not sure he did anything to get LE to close the case quickly or rule it a suicide.

I don't know about why he prevented access. I'm speculating it was more of a business decision and/or that he wanted to trow that one back in SDSO's ballpark. Or to avoid more publciity (that would possibly be the narcissist coming out).

I'm not standing up for Jonah. I'm just trying to put all the pieces together and not make assumptions about him. This whole case makes more logical sense when I take him out as being involved. It doesn't make sense if I try to take others out of the picture at all nor when I try to include the four.

A few of things stand out to me in the history of Dina and Jonah. Dina was as much a part of any past domestic violence as Jonah, maybe more. Jonah does not seem to want anything, nadda, to do with her now nor allow her any contact with his children. Jonah started a nonprofit in Max's name that he did not make a huge media deal out of - it looks like a labor of love to me. Contrast that with the huge media campaign we saw last Summer and the totally strange goals of the nonprofit - especially given Dina's domestic violence record and seeming hatred toward a woman who was trying to be a part of her son's life. and the throwing up of road blocks to prevent a healthy blended family. It didn't take much to set her over the edge.

If there were witnesses that could place Dina at the hospital, then why didn't Gore state that instead of the BS about her phone being there?

I'm not only wondering who they were but when did they come forward and claim they saw her? Also, when did they see her - it's not an alibi if they saw her at 9 pm at night and at 6 am in the morning.

How is it possible she was not caught on camera?

So, it makes me wonder if Nina was one of the witnesses or whoever they were, but there was other conflicting information? Like Nina was a witness but someone was seen on the porch so that didn't work out. Or Nina's phone was not at the hospital when she said she was at the hospital. Just hypotheticals... it could be someone besides Nina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879