Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Tricia is able to book Ann Rule as a guest on True Crime radio (which she says she is actively pursuing), maybe it would be interesting to compile a list of questions we have ahead of time for Ann. I'll PM a moderator to see if this would be a beneficial idea, and if so, will start a thread to list our questions, with no discussion there.

If Tricia books Ann Rule, we will start a "List Only - No Discussion" thread for questions to Ann.

Hope that helps,

Salem

Nina's son graduated from high school in 2010 (with honors), so he would have been 19 or 20 in the summer of 2011, which the last time I checked, is an adult. Why did she make misleading statements about him not being able to be left alone in her interview with David Gotfredson?

Evidently she didn't want anyone looking at him or putting his name in the paper? Typically, they do not name minors and if journalists were under that assumptions, then they might not even go there (at least not when this occurred). Maybe they will be curious now since it seems to be a lie.

On a funny note I think Anne Rule was just gaga over Jonah and Rebecca. First she describes Jonah as tall dark and very good looking. She goes on and on about what a happy couple they were. What sanity and happiness Becky brought to Jonah after his miserable and chaotic life with Dina. Anne just goes on and on about how good looking Jonah was and how Becky was his beautiful gorgeous "match" even if she was a bit younger. Jonah's best friend Howard even is mentioned in the book raving about how in love Jonah was with Becky. How cute they were working out, eating healthy foods, living healthy and riding bikes around Ocean drive in their bathing suits together. After reading the book I had a whole new appreciation for their relationship and the happiness Jonah had found with Becky. I thought it was a bit over the top.

On a funny note I think Anne Rule was just gaga over Jonah and Rebecca. First she describes Jonah as tall dark and very good looking. She goes on and on about what a happy couple they were. What sanity and happiness Becky brought to Jonah after his miserable and chaotic life with Dina. Anne just goes on and on about how good looking Jonah was and how Becky was his beautiful gorgeous "match" even if she was a bit younger. Jonah's best friend Howard even is mentioned in the book raving about how in love Jonah was with Becky. How cute they were working out, eating healthy foods, living healthy and riding bikes around Ocean drive in their bathing suits together. After reading the book I had a whole new appreciation for their relationship and the happiness Jonah had found with Becky. I thought it was a bit over the top.

Over the top is right. Lots of folks around town used to see them together, and they were not so "lovey dovey" with each other.

Mr. Spock, Your sarcasm is not lost on me. There are times in the book I felt it was being written with 4 hands. Bless Ms. Rule. IMO the manuscript reviewing room must have been pretty crowded. She did the best she could under the constraints.:moo:

I read the majority of the Spreckels chapters last night.

I was very interested in the section of Ann Rule's book that detailed domestic violence incidents between JS and DS, and particularly interested in the details about the guard dog incident. The way it reads, the dog was attempting to protect JS from a perceived threat from DS, and JS found it necessary to remove himself from the situation and report this incident to police to have it on record. Soon after, DS went to police to claim she was a victim of the dog and JS (who supposedly didn't call the dog off quickly enough) and she claimed she had never posed a threat to JS, she was the victim, not the abuser. She provided photographs of bruises allegedly from the dog and claimed she was protecting herself from JS with her arm, not threatening him in some way with her arm as perceived by the dog and claimed by JS.

It's interesting to me that both made a point of reporting these incidents but no charges were brought. I'm curious to know what motivated each of them to report these incidents to police but stop short of additional action to protect themselves (though I suppose one could argue JS took additional action in the form of divorce). Did JS go to police because he felt genuinely threatened, noting the incident should be on record in case violence escalated at a later date? Or was he concerned DS might report the dog and therefore wanted it documented that he felt the dog was protecting him from harm? Did DS go to police because she was genuinely afraid of the dog and JS, or was her action a tit for tat retaliation in response to JS' police report? Was there ever a threat to the dog as a result of this incident being reported? Anybody have any insights to share on this?

All of the above is just my opinion.

I am just thinking about how Dina felt about the thin stunning gorgeous Becky who almost any guy would kill for, happily riding around on her bike in her little bikini everywhere in front of DINA'S old house Spreckels where she was living with Jonah. Dina had to know Jonah would be telling Becky horror stories about his marriage with Dina the same way he did to Dina when she stole him away from his pregnant first wife Kim.

I read the majority of the Spreckels chapters last night.

I was very interested in the section of Ann Rule's book that detailed domestic violence incidents between JS and DS, and particularly interested in the details about the guard dog incident. The way it reads, the dog was attempting to protect JS from a perceived threat from DS, and JS found it necessary to remove himself from the situation and report this incident to police to have it on record. Soon after, DS went to police to claim she was a victim of the dog and JS (who supposedly didn't call the dog off quickly enough) and she claimed she had never posed a threat to JS, she was the victim, not the abuser. She provided photographs of bruises allegedly from the dog and claimed she was protecting herself from JS with her arm, not threatening him in some way with her arm as perceived by the dog and claimed by JS.

It's interesting to me that both made a point of reporting these incidents but no charges were brought. I'm curious to know what motivated each of them to report these incidents to police but stop short of additional action to protect themselves (though I suppose one could argue JS took additional action in the form of divorce). Did JS go to police because he felt genuinely threatened, noting the incident should be on record in case violence escalated at a later date? Or was he concerned DS might report the dog and therefore wanted it documented that he felt the dog was protecting him from harm? Did DS go to police because she was genuinely afraid of the dog and JS, or was her action a tit for tat retaliation in response to JS' police report? Was there ever a threat to the dog as a result of this incident being reported? Anybody have any insights to share on this?

All of the above is just my opinion.

From what was reported in articles, I got the feeling Dina was not really afraid of the dog. I've said this before but, I had the distinct feeling that she was strangely asking for the dog to not be around so that if she instigated something the dog could not protect Jonah. It could just be the way some of the articles were worded or what was left out. The dog is a German Shepherd IIRC. I'm somehow doubting it would attack her if Jonah made a move towards her. This appears to be what Dina actually claimed at one time:

She told police she was attacked by her husband's German shepherd, just as she had been several times in the past. She gave police photos from 2006 showing cuts to her arms and knees, from incidents where Dina claimed the dog bit her because the dog is "very sensitive to changes in voice tone and body language and any tense exchange with Jonah may result in an attack response."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/coronado-mansion-mystery-15-detectives-zahaus-personal-trainer/story?id=14124073

I'm also perplexed that she had a photo of injuries way back from 2006, but from what I can find she had saved them and gave them to police in 2008.

I never once read where Dina thought the dog could be dangerous to Max. If the dog was so dangerous and untrained, I would worry about that. However, I really am doubting the descriptions of when and how the dog reacts.

Does all this sync with what is in the book?

In 2008, Mr Shacknai called police claiming his wife had tried to choke him - then half an hour later she called saying she had been attacked by the family dog, and blamed it on her husband.

...Police officers took these photographs of Ms Shacknai after she called 911 claiming her husband had elbowed her in the right breast. Officers said they could not find any injuries.

...In a lengthy statement to police she describes her husband as controlling, and alleges he 'yells and screams at her' - and the dog tries to protect him if she attempts to defend herself. The report says: 'When this happens Dina said that Jonah makes little or no effort to stop the dog. It is only after Jonah walks away that the dog ceases his aggression.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-Shacknai-violent-marriage-ex-wife-Dina.html

It could be that the dog became increasingly worried when Jonah and Dina got in altercations, but still, I find it difficult to believe that is because Jonah was going after Dina. I can't udnerstand why you would stay in a house where the dog was that dangerous given your relationship is so tumultuous and full of violence and abuse.

People who have this kind of relationship typically can have a spontaneous fight/argument break out (remember Dina once said it was the changes in voice). It's highly likely a child nearby could walk into the middle of that and IF a dog is so dangerous it might accidentally hurt the child. If the first attack of the dog was in 2006, then Max was only a year old. And, Dina claims this continued until Max was at least 3 or 4. Those are not ages where a child would know better than to walk into a situation and I can't believe these all occurred when Max was in bed or safely tucked into another room for the duration.

Time - Thank you for your observation about the dog's behavior not being of such concern that it was necessary to keep him out of Max's household. Great point.

Sounds to me that Dina reported the dog attack and Jonah's "abuse" of her as pure retaliation against Jonah, and to defend herself against possible criminal charges brought against her.

Jonah's motivation for reporting Dina's physical violence towards him likely stemmed from genuine concern for his and his dog's safety. Seemed like Dina's violence was escalating at that time. You know what abuse literature says, the most dangerous times for domestic violence victims are when the victims are trying to physically leave (including divorce, separate from) their abusers. And Jonah was in the process of separating from and divorcing Dina.

Anne Bremner stated on her FB page BBM:

I'm still scratching my head at why anyone would think Rebecca would somehow access her own computer via a SW Airlines account? And, am also not clear on what accessing it with a SW Airlines account means.

I wonder if Ann Rule could add anything more specific to this. I'm sure Ann Bremner knows more but is holding the specifics back for some reason and could have requested Rule do the same? Bremner vaguely says before and after Rebecca's death.

It almost seems too obvious it could have been Adam - maybe that's why I don't think it was. I also can't see Adam having any SW Airlines card (not a convenient airline from Memphis) and it appears he didn't fly in on SW (although he could have caught a second flight in Phoenix or something). I'm just basing this on doing a cursory search of SW Airlines for flights from Memphis.

I think the possibility is still open that the computer was accessed at one of these two time periods. From 4-8 pm when Rebecca was out picking up Adam and having dinner or from 10pm-midnight.

Just using logic, I just can't see Rebecca doing this on the 12th when she was so busy all day. It doesn't make sense. Also, I'm wondering if her laptop would really typically be in that room? Not sure that makes sense either, was it left there to find easily and hence find the *advertiser censored*? It may make sense that Jonah keeps a computer there for common use?

I'd like to know how advanced the computer forensics were and if the time on the computer could have been changed.

Also, if you were in close proximity to the house, could this easily have been done through remote/Wifi access by Dina or Nina. Could it have been done by the Dr. while he was on a plane? All this depends on what accessing through a SW Airlines account means.

I'm inclined to believe the same as you that it was not Adam who accessed the anime and lesbian *advertiser censored* on Becky's computer. He didn't arrive until late Tuesday about 5pm and Becky, he and Jonah were occupied at the hospital, airport, restaurant, etc. from the time he landed in the airport until Becky dropped him off at the Spreckel's mansion guesthouse at 8pm. Unless the *advertiser censored* viewing was made between Tues 8pm-5am Wed, Adam did not access Becky's computer.

I also highly doubt it was Dr. Luber who accessed Becky's computer for the *advertiser censored*. He really has no motive to want to harm or disparage Becky.

The only suspects to this *advertiser censored*-viewing are Dina and Nina, the latter of whom even admitted to being at the mansion. And Dina has no alibi much of Tuesday.

Also of note is that Jonah's computer, along with Becky's laptop and Becky's cellphone were all found in the murder room. It appears that the murderers of Becky were planting all this as evidence, perhaps even to frame Jonah and Adam.

Sounds to me that Dina reported the dog attack and Jonah's "abuse" of her as pure retaliation against Jonah, and to defend herself against possible criminal charges brought against her.

Jonah's motivation for reporting Dina's physical violence towards him likely stemmed from genuine concern for his and his dog's safety. Seemed like Dina's violence was escalating at that time. You know what abuse literature says, the most dangerous times for domestic violence victims are when the victims are trying to physically leave (including divorce, separate from) their abusers. And Jonah was in the process of separating from and divorcing Dina.

I'm wondering also if people don't set this up contemplating the divorce settlement.

Jonah did describe the last domestic violence scene in some detail although per Dina's claims various stuff had been already going on since 2006 or before. That's 4 or more years per my calculations... and, yes, it seems to have escalated. I also know that typically, there are many more encounters than are reported to police. I feel that Jonah must have reported to police as a last resort since I sincerely doubt he would want to get them involved for reputation reasons.

I'm wondering also if people don't set this up contemplating the divorce settlement.

Jonah did describe the last domestic violence scene in some detail although per Dina's claims various stuff had been already going on since 2006 or before. That's 4 or more years per my calculations... and, yes, it seems to have escalated. I also know that typically, there are many more encounters than are reported to police. I feel that Jonah must have reported to police as a last resort since I sincerely doubt he would want to get them involved for reputation reasons.

I agree with you, since Jonah is very keen and protective about his finances and business, I don't think he'd want any negative publicity leaking out about his dysfunctional relationship with Dina. So it's unlikely that he made false reports to the police.

Dina on the other hand seems very explosive, out-of-control and gets defensive and passive-aggressive a lot. I think her police reports about his violence are out of spite and revenge.

I agree with you, since Jonah is very keen and protective about his finances and business, I don't think he'd want any negative publicity leaking out about his dysfunctional relationship with Dina. So it's unlikely that he made false reports to the police.

Dina on the other hand seems very explosive, out-of-control and gets defensive and passive-aggressive a lot. I think her police reports about his violence are out of spite and revenge.

As I said previously, some of my acquaintences who were friends with Dina: Dina has to win at all costs, and to prove that she is right, particularly when it comes to matters with Jonah.

I'm inclined to believe the same as you that it was not Adam who accessed the anime and lesbian *advertiser censored* on Becky's computer. He didn't arrive until late Tuesday about 5pm and Becky, he and Jonah were occupied at the hospital, airport, restaurant, etc. from the time he landed in the airport until Becky dropped him off at the Spreckel's mansion guesthouse at 8pm. Unless the *advertiser censored* viewing was made between Tues 8pm-5am Wed, Adam did not access Becky's computer.

I also highly doubt it was Dr. Luber who accessed Becky's computer for the *advertiser censored*. He really has no motive to want to harm or disparage Becky.

The only suspects to this *advertiser censored*-viewing are Dina and Nina, the latter of whom even admitted to being at the mansion. And Dina has no alibi much of Tuesday.

Also of note is that Jonah's computer, along with Becky's laptop and Becky's cellphone were all found in the murder room. It appears that the murderers of Becky were planting all this as evidence, perhaps even to frame Jonah and Adam.

And the where abouts of Nina's adult son who was traveling with her are not accounted for during that time frame either.

Don't forget, the Coronado PD were called 13 different times over 3 years to either Spreckels or DS's home in Coronado on reports of domestic violence. The two of them obviously had a very bad marriage in which DV occurred frequently. It's difficult to say who was to blame or who was covering up, but there was a lot of violence in that marriage.

http://www.10news.com/news/police-called-to-shacknai-ex-wife-homes-13-times-since-2008

Wow, that is a whole lot of police calls! I have never called the police to my home not once, my entire adult life and I am 47. Astounding to me. Those two were a volatile pair- that is for certain. Poor Max.

If that's the case, perhaps there's a noticeable pattern of behavior emerging. JS goes to police, then DS goes to police. The Zahaus go on Dr. Phil, then DS goes on Dr. Phil. A petition is circulated to reopen Rebecca's case, then a petition is circulated to reopen Max's case. The Zahau's state a belief that Rebecca was murdered as a result of Max's accident, then DS states a belief that Max was murdered by an abusive Rebecca.

So is it a coincidence that Rebecca's death supposedly occurred as the result of a fall over a balcony less than 48 hours after Max's fall? And is it a coincidence that the message on the door appears to read as an "eye for an eye" statement of retaliation? I don't know, but perhaps worth pondering.

Ann Rule stated JS didn't want to file a formal police complaint but he wanted to have the incident "on record." I don't know that simply having the incident on record would be enough to protect him and the dog, but perhaps his desire to avoid negative publicity was a factor in that choice. On the other hand, I wonder if JS anticipated the violence could escalate and felt it was important to begin formally acknowledging/recording it. I have long wondered if Rebecca's death was the result of an escalation of previously documented domestic violence.

All of the above is just my opinion and pure speculation.

Interesting insights, Zinn. Very interesting. Interesting pattern of behaviors. Behavior patterns tell a lot about people and what motivates them. (Psychologists know a lot about this.)

Tit for tat.

One more...
Jonah starts a nonprofit.....Dina starts a nonprofit.

Interesting insights, Zinn. Very interesting. Interesting pattern of behaviors. Behavior patterns tell a lot about people and what motivates them. (Psychologists know a lot about this.)

Tit for tat.

One more...
Jonah starts a nonprofit.....Dina starts a nonprofit.

No mention by Dina about the turnout for the 2 events for Maxie's House: a Halloween party and "Cuts for Kids" at an upscale Scottsdale hair salon........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ