Figure Skater John Coughlin (33) Dies of Apparent Suicide After Being Suspended from Sport

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

MagnoliaMountain

Red Rose
Reaction score
U.S. Figure Skater John Coughlin Dies of Apparent Suicide at 33 After Being Suspended from Sport

Coughlin was a two-time U.S. Pairs Champion and worked as a coach, TV commentator and skater with U.S. Figure Skating and the International Skating Union. He participated in two world championships, placing sixth in 2011 and eighth in 2012.

According to USA Today, on Dec. 17, SafeSport — an organization that has “exclusive jurisdiction over sexual misconduct” in the Olympic loop and investigates other abuse allegations across multiple sports — restricted Coughlin’s eligibility to participate in figure skating pending final resolution of a matter presented to them. On Jan. 8, Coughlin resigned from his post as U.S. brand manager for John Wilson Blades, a skating blade retail company, USA Today reported.

On Thursday, SafeSport called for an “temporary suspension” of Coughlin, according to a release from the Professional Skating Association that was sent to members and obtained by PEOPLE.

Were there any rumors of him being involved in some kind of a big scandal? No one is saying why he was suspended but it must have been something serious because he was suspended from more than one organization.

Oops, I just expanded the above article. Sexual abuse scandal it looks like.

Statement on John Coughlin

We are stunned at the news of the death of two-time U.S. pairs champion John Coughlin. Our heartfelt and deepest sympathies are with his father Mike, sister Angela and the rest of his family. Out of respect to the family, U.S. Figure Skating will have no further comment until a later time.

Welcome to U.S. Figure Skating

John Coughlin, Figure Skating Champion, Dies of Apparent Suicide After Suspension
The United States Center for SafeSport, whose investigations typically involve allegations of sexual assault, placed restrictions on Coughlin in December and suspended him on Thursday, temporarily prohibiting him from participating in any activities under the auspices of U. S. Figure Skating, the national governing body for the sport, or the United States Olympic Committee. The center had not released any findings at the time of Coughlin’s death.

Former U.S. figure skating champion dies by suicide after being suspended from sport
[...]
Then, on Thursday, SafeSport elevated his disciplinary record to “Interim Suspension.” USFS immediately followed with a temporary suspension of its own, prohibiting him from participating “in any capacity, in any activity or competition” authorized or organized by USFS or the U.S. Olympic Committee.

That included the upcoming national figure skating championships in Detroit next week, U.S. skating’s biggest week of the year. The head of the TV production company for the nationals said earlier this week that Coughlin would not be working there as a commentator.

When reached by USA TODAY on Jan. 7, Coughlin said the allegations against him were “unfounded.”

“While I wish I could speak freely about the unfounded allegations levied against me, the SafeSport rules prevent me from doing so since the case remains pending,” he wrote in an email to USA TODAY. “I note only that the SafeSport notice of allegation itself stated that an allegation in no way constitutes a finding by SafeSport or that there is any merit to the allegation."
[...]

Welcome to U.S. Figure Skating
U.S. FIGURE SKATING
GRIEVANCES
(Last update 1/17/2019)
PERSONS SUSPENDED PENDING FINAL HEARING PANEL OR
U.S. CENTER FOR SAFESPORT DETERMINATION

Considering the nature of the charges and information provided with either the Grievance Statement or action taken by the U.S. Center for SafeSport, in accordance with the authority provided to the U.S. Figure Skating Ethics Committee Rule (ECR) 3.04 and pending a hearing contemplated by Article XXV, Section 1(B), or an action of the U.S. Center for SafeSport (Article XXV, Section 2) of the U.S. Figure Skating Bylaws, effective as of the date shown, membership in U.S. Figure Skating is suspended.

John Coughlin
On January 17, 2019 the U.S. Center for SafeSport issued the following interim measure regarding U.S. Figure Skating member John Coughlin:

Temporary Suspension. Beginning on January 17, 2019, Responding Party John Coughlin is prohibited from participating, in any capacity, in any activity or competition authorized by, organized by, or under the auspices of the United States Olympic Committee, the national governing bodies recognized by the United States Olympic Committee, including U.S. Figure Skating, and/or a Local Affiliated Organization of a national governing body recognized by the United States Olympic Committee.

Pursuant to U.S. Figure Skating Bylaw Article XXV, Section 2, U.S. Figure Skating hereby suspends John Coughlin, beginning on January 17, 2019, pending final resolution of the matter by the U.S. Center for SafeSport.”

Former U.S. Figure Skater John Coughlin's Family Responds to his Death

Former U.S. figure skater John Coughlin’s loved ones are “overwhelmed by the outpouring of warm thoughts and prayers” in the wake of his apparent suicide, his family says in a statement provided to PEOPLE.

Coughlin died at age 33 in Kansas City, Missouri, on Friday, according to his sister Angela Laune. His death came one day after he was suspended from the sport.

“We are devastated by the untimely passing of our beloved son and brother, John Coughlin,” his family says in a statement sent by Fireworks Sports Marketing. “John was a true champion on and off the ice, devoted to his family and passionate about his life in skating.”

From article above, three separate reports of sexual misconduct - two involving minors - were filed against him. That makes it understandable why he was suspended.

That's right, but to kill himself because of that!?
Must have been some party then!! How old were they?
This is so strange...

Accused, therefore guilty. I don't like this presumption prior to actual criminal investigation. Granted, the Skating board has a responsibility to keep others safe.

Maybe this situation can help develop a framework for response for the future that will have less devastating effects.

View John Coughlin's Obituary on KansasCity.com and share memories
John Patrick Coughlin John Coughlin, 33 died January 18, 2019 at his home. John was born December 1, 1985 in Kansas City, Missouri [...]
John was the most accomplished ice-skating athlete ever produced in Kansas City. He started skating at age four. [...]
John had a gentle soul and his strengths shined through his ability to keep his cool under extreme pressure. [...]

During intermission at the Ice Dance finals of US National Figure Skating Championships on Saturday evening, there was a short video tribute to John Coughlin featured on the jumbo-tron. That was the only event I attended, so I don't know if the video was shown during all of the figure skating competitions that were held at Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit.

During intermission at the Ice Dance finals of US National Figure Skating Championships on Saturday evening, there was a short video tribute to John Coughlin featured on the jumbo-tron. That was the only event I attended, so I don't know if the video was shown during all of the figure skating competitions that were held at Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit.

I think that's the only time they showed the tribute. I was watching it live online, so I saw all that went on in the arena, including the jumbotron. I thought it was pairs, though, not dance, since he was a pairs skater.

It's scary to think how bad the sexual assaults he committed were for him to kill himself. IMO the hammer was coming down hard and quickly and now people are sending prayers instead of a prison sentence

"She and her father remain convinced: If SafeSport investigators possessed any definitive evidence of wrongdoing, they would have rushed to reveal it in the face of his suicide. SafeSport shut down the investigation instead of finishing, his family believes, because officials had found nothing."
Spun out of control: The desperate final days of skater John Coughlin

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back