DNA Solves

SeesSeas

FLORIDIAN
Reaction score
Police identify elderly couple killed in Clearwater home
POSTED: SEP 29 2018 10:00PM EDT
VIDEO POSTED: SEP 30 2018 10:14PM EDT
UPDATED: OCT 01 2018 10:52AM EDT

CLEARWATER (FOX 13) - The Clearwater Police Department has identified the elderly couple that was killed inside their home on Saturday.
The victims are 88-year-old David Swan and 80-year-old Mina Swan.

Questions continue in murder of elderly Clearwater couple

Updated: October 1, 2018 at 08:58 PM
Family members for the Swans, who, records show, married in 1999, could not be reached for comment.
Mina Swan had lived in the house for 40 years, Anderson said, and David Swan moved in after her first husband died. Both had children from prior relationships.

Married couple in their 80s found dead in Clearwater double homicide

Posted: Sep 29, 2018 07:23 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 01, 2018 11:28 AM EDT

He contacted the couple’s son who contacted his sister. She went to the home with Locke by her side and they went through the unlocked back door.
“I walked through the kitchen and you could smell the food that was still sitting on the counter that had been prepped for dinner but it looked like they were going to eat," Locke said. “She was face down and he was on his back. She was on one side of the coffee table. He was on the other side on his back.”

Clearwater couple in their 80s killed in their home

SEP 29, 2018
Clearwater Police officers told neighbors they should not be concerned for their own safety. They also told neighbors they have ruled out any home break-in, robbery or similar crime. The house was well organized when police arrived to investigate.
A neighbor and the victim's daughter discovered the couple dead in their home Saturday and immediately called the police.
Detectives spent 48 hours combing the house on Flushing Avenue for clues.

Clearwater Police Department

This is a photo of David and Mina Swan, who were found slain in their home on Flushing Avenue over the weekend. Anyone with information on the case should call 727-562-4242 or use @tip411CO
42921242_1855758741145983_4714553964090097664_n.jpg

How sad....They look like such a happy couple in that photo :( With police saying it appears to be an isolated incident and telling neighbors that they shouldn't be concerned for their safety, I am thinking LE has a pretty good idea of what happened and hopefully, who did this. Rest in Peace Mr. and Mrs. Swan :(

How sad....They look like such a happy couple in that photo :( With police saying it appears to be an isolated incident and telling neighbors that they shouldn't be concerned for their safety, I am thinking LE has a pretty good idea of what happened and hopefully, who did this. Rest in Peace Mr. and Mrs. Swan :(
That was my thought, too, LL. It just burns me up when someone takes the lives of elderly folks- who were still enjoying life, being good neighbors, and seemingly healthy. To get to that point in years, and then ...

Fear grips Clearwater neighborhood after elderly couple's double murder
Updated: Oct 03, 2018 08:45 AM EDT
[...]
“I completely understand but I want to reiterate, it appears at this time to be an isolated incident and not a random act,” said Lt. Michael Walek.
[...]
Walek won’t reveal when investigators believe the murders actually happened, doesn’t want the public to know the manner of death and won’t say how close investigators are to arresting one or more suspects.

But Walek does insist no one else in the neighborhood has reason for worry.

“If this was something we were concerned about with someone just going around doing violent acts, we would be out here in droves,” Walek said.

“The chief would have people out here stationed and driving around in cruisers.”

Walek won’t put a timetable on it but tells 8 On Your Side he’s confident this case will be solved.

“One hundred percent,” Walek said.

This makes no sense. The cops are calling this a double murder, yet the above article says they're not releasing the manner of death?
I don't think they know who did it. I think they're calling it isolated because they think this was targeted, but I don't believe they would be asking for help from the public if they had a suspect. JMO.

Clearwater police chief: It's not random that a suspect wanted to kill 'nice elderly couple'
Investigators trying to figure out what led up to the death of a beloved Clearwater elderly couple aren't showing their cards just yet.
Published: 7:39 AM EDT October 5, 2018
Updated: 12:29 PM EDT October 5, 2018

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- The homicide of David and Mina Swan last weekend in their Clearwater home was not a random crime, police said Friday.
Amid what's been about a week-long investigation, enough evidence shows "that the offender came to kill," Chief Daniel Slaughter told the media during a news conference.
[...]
"We know that in murder cases, there's some form of a victim, offender relationship," Slaughter said. "...[A suspect] went there to murder this nice, elderly couple. I can't tell you why yet, but I'm going to work pretty hard trying to."
[...]

"fatally shot"
Clearwater police seek answers in murder of retired couple
UPDATED: OCT 05 2018 04:28PM EDT
CLEARWATER (FOX 13) - Nearly a week has passed since an elderly couple were found murdered in their home, and Clearwater police continue seeking help from the public in finding a suspect.
Chief Daniel Slaughter revealed that 88-year-old David Swan and 80-year-old Mina Swan were fatally shot in their home on Flushing Avenue. Their bodies were found Saturday afternoon.
[...]
"Evidence does show that the offender came with the intent to kill David and Mina. This doesn't appear to be a random act."
[...]

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2018
[...]
Clearwater Police officers called the crime "puzzling" during Friday's news conference.
"David and Mina seem like very nice people and it’s hard to fathom what the motive would be," Chief Slaughter added, reiterating that although they haven't made an arrest, neighbors should not be concerned for their own safety.
Chief Slaughter told neighbors they have ruled out any home break-in, robbery or similar crime. The house was well organized when police arrived to investigate.
Detectives are now focusing on three things: Interviews with business partners, relatives, and friends, analyzing trace D.N.A. evidence found at the crime scene and reviewing surveillance video from nearby homes.
[...]

https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/default.aspx
Pinellas County public records reflect seven 'small claims' civil lawsuits filed by David S Swan Jr during the past few decades.
Most recent lawsuit was filed SEP 2014 alleging vehicle damage;
JAN 2015 judgement was favorable to defendant M A L -
PLTFF SHALL TAKE NOTHING/JUDGMENT FOR DEFENDANT
David Swan filed appeal FEB 2015; appeal dismissed MAR 2015.
Perhaps M A L was angry about time and attorney fees fighting the lawsuit and appeal?

Chief Says Murders Of Retired Clearwater Couple Hard To Fathom
"There's usually some form of victim relationship so we're going to talk to anyone connected with family until we get to the bottom of it," he said.
A second marriage for both, the Swans exchanged vows in 1998. He had four children from his previous marriage. She had three.
David Swan was a retired accountant with a knack for making sound investments.

Detectives are now focusing on three things: Interviews with business partners, relatives, and friends, analyzing trace D.N.A. evidence found at the crime scene and reviewing surveillance video from nearby homes.

This reminds me somewhat of the McGees in Andover, MA and also the Dermonds, although the details differ. All three of these look like targeted murders.

In this case, they are keeping details very close to the vest. What a sad case.

I watched the press conference and it was heartbreaking. Mina's daughter held it together and spoke about both David and Mina with such love and admiration. They were enjoying life and seemed very active, right into their mid to late 80's.

A few things that stood out: Mina had recently found her birth family. She had been adopted. David and Mina had a large family comprised of children, step-children, including grandchildren, etc. That brings so many more people into the mix. Apparently David, even at age 88, was an "active investor." He was a CPA in his pre-retirement life. Mina was a high school art teacher. They loved to travel.
I pray that the police (who appear to be very professional and determined to find out who murdered this couple) make an arrest soon. But after following the McGee and Dermond murders, I'm not holding out hope, if this was a professional hit. I would love to be wrong and that the family will have some closure and then deal the with aftermath. So heartbreaking.

This reminds me somewhat of the McGees in Andover, MA and also the Dermonds, although the details differ. All three of these look like targeted murders.

In this case, they are keeping details very close to the vest. What a sad case.

I watched the press conference and it was heartbreaking. Mina's daughter held it together and spoke about both David and Mina with such love and admiration. They were enjoying life and seemed very active, right into their mid to late 80's.

A few things that stood out: Mina had recently found her birth family. She had been adopted. David and Mina had a large family comprised of children, step-children, including grandchildren, etc. That brings so many more people into the mix. Apparently David, even at age 88, was an "active investor." He was a CPA in his pre-retirement life. Mina was a high school art teacher. They loved to travel.
I pray that the police (who appear to be very professional and determined to find out who murdered this couple) make an arrest soon. But after following the McGee and Dermond murders, I'm not holding out hope, if this was a professional hit. I would love to be wrong and that the family will have some closure and then deal the with aftermath. So heartbreaking.
I haven't watched the presser video, so thank you for your synopsis! I, too, thought of the Dermond case. I'm hoping there is more definitive forensic evidence in this case, at least as far as the weapon used. This is so very sad :(

Services at Brewer & Sons, Dunedin, October 9, 2 pm with a celebration of life at 3:30.
David S. Swan Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information
Mina A. Swan Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information

View David SWAN's Obituary on tampabay.com and share memories
SWAN, David S. Jr.
88, of Clearwater, FL, passed September 29, 2018. Born in Shreveport, LA.

View Mina SWAN's Obituary on tampabay.com and share memories
SWAN, Mina A.
80, of Clearwater, FL, passed September 29, 2018. Born in Worcester, MA.

$28,000 reward offered to help find killer of elderly Clearwater couple
Oct 29, 2018
[...]
Detectives continue actively searching for the suspect who shot and killed 80-year-old Mina Swan and 88-year-old David Swan inside their Clearwater home in September. Detectives tell ABC Action News they've interviewed more than 50 people, investigated over 100 leads and collected hundreds of pieces of evidence.

Some key pieces of evidence are also being sent to an FBI lab for further analysis with more specialized DNA extraction tools.
[...]

$28,000 reward offered to help find killer of elderly Clearwater couple
Oct 29, 2018
[...]
Detectives continue actively searching for the suspect who shot and killed 80-year-old Mina Swan and 88-year-old David Swan inside their Clearwater home in September. Detectives tell ABC Action News they've interviewed more than 50 people, investigated over 100 leads and collected hundreds of pieces of evidence.

Some key pieces of evidence are also being sent to an FBI lab for further analysis with more specialized DNA extraction tools.
[...]
How heartbreaking, especially to hear the one son plead for tips, saying he needs closure because he's very ill :( This was one case I thought might be solved fairly quickly. Thanks for posting the updates.

How heartbreaking, especially to hear the one son plead for tips, saying he needs closure because he's very ill :( This was one case I thought might be solved fairly quickly. Thanks for posting the updates.
Yes, it's especially disheartening because LE quickly gave the family and community false hope of solving this crime:
Fear grips Clearwater neighborhood after elderly couple's double murder
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 05:28 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 03, 2018 08:45 AM EDT

[...]
[Lt. Michael] Walek won’t put a timetable on it but tells 8 On Your Side he’s confident this case will be solved.
“One hundred percent,” Walek said.

46483183_1921768214545035_9051106533609308160_o.jpg

Clearwater Police Department added 2 new photos.
Yesterday at 6:11 AM ·
We have partnered with OUTFRONT Media USA in an effort to get tips in the Swan double homicide case. If you have any information you think would help, call detectives at 727-562-4141. Thanks to Outfront of Tampa and General Manager Rusty McClelland for donating space on multiple billboards across the area. The Swans were found slain in their Flushing Avenue home on Sept. 29.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarice34ON4ill
Back