FL FL - “Maritime John Doe", Wht, 65-75, maritime tattoo, Atlantic Ocean, Sep'03 - Donald H. Kirk

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unidentified Person Florida Navy

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) — Detectives are asking for the public's help in identifying a man who was found floating in the Atlantic Ocean at least a decade ago.

The body of a man who was at least 65-years-old was discovered floating about five miles east of the Boynton Beach Inlet on Sept. 7, 2003, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said. The PBSO Marine Unit recovered the body and an autopsy didn't reveal any trauma to the body.

The body was believed to be in the water for less than 24 hours and went into the water in Miami-Dade or Broward Counties, according to the sheriff's office. The man was wearing a white T-shirt, white polo shirt with black and brown pinstripes on the border of the sleeves and neckline, khaki pants, blue underwear, brown socks, no shoes and had a brown weaved leather belt.

Detectives released a composite sketch of the man, including a maritime tattoo on his right forearm
1037-109712_orig.jpg

65 to 75 year old White Male

Date found September 07, 2003 in Boynton Beach, Florida

The victim was located floating face down in a weed line approx. 5 miles east of the Boynton Inlet and 3 miles north, in Boynton Beach, Florida. The detectives believe that this person may have possibly entered the water in Dade or Broward Counties.

Old tattoo which appears to be an anchor or some type of Navy tattoo

Scar/mark:
12 inch scar on the center of his stomach and back. To the left of the scar on his stomach was another 3 inch scar. 12 inch scar on his left shoulder blade. 1 in scar on neck. 9 in scar on abdomen. "zipper" 6 in scar on lumbar region

Possibly wore a back brace

I have family in the USN. This looks like a common tattoo popular with U.S. Navy members that is generally referred to as EGA (Eagle ,Globe, Anchor). Florida is home to thousands of retired military, especially Navy. On social media, there are many groups for personnel who served on XYZ Submarine Name or USS Navy Ship Name. Has anyone reached out to some of the sub groups?
Something to keep in mind with (apparent) military UIDs:
There was a MASSIVE fire in 1973 that destroyed records held at the National Personnel Records Center in St Louis. The fire burned for 4 days before it was under control. Estimates are that 16 million to 18 million records of military personnel were destroyed. The sixth floor, where most of the military records were kept, was completely destroyed by fire. From the website:

The 1973 Fire, National Personnel Records Center

"Your records may have been destroyed in the fire if you were discharged from either:The Army between November 1, 1912, and January 1, 1960. The fire destroyed 80% of the records held for Veterans discharged from the Army during this time period. The fire didn't involve records for retirees and Reservists who were alive on July 12, 1973.
  • Or the Air Force between September 25, 1947, and January 1, 1964. The fire destroyed 75% of the records held for Veterans discharged from the Air Force during this time period with surnames beginning with “Hubbard” and running through the end of the alphabet."
Learn more about the 1973 NPRC fire

The number of Navy records destroyed was estimated as a few dozen. However, in order to search survivng Navy records, a name is needed.

The NPRC is still working on reconstructing those destroyed records if anyone was or has a family member who served in the Army or Air Force during the above time periods. The NPRC will need photocopies of family military records of people who served between 1912 and 1960 in the Army and Sept. 25, 1947- Jan. 1, 1964 in the Air Force.

Last edited:
This missing man is a taller and heavier than the UID, but he does have some kind of tattoo on arms.
62-year-old Hilo man reported missing 09-12-03
SEPTEMBER 12, 2003
H-62640
RichardSuffern.jpg

RICHARD SUFFERN
''Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a 62-year-old Hilo man reported missing since Monday (September 8, 2003).

Suffern is described as being 5-foot-10 in height, weighing about 160 pounds and having blue eyes and salt-and-pepper colored hair worn in a crew cut. He also has blue tattoos on both arms.''

This missing man is a taller and heavier than the UID, but he does have some kind of tattoo on arms.
62-year-old Hilo man reported missing 09-12-03
SEPTEMBER 12, 2003
H-62640
RichardSuffern.jpg

RICHARD SUFFERN
''Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a 62-year-old Hilo man reported missing since Monday (September 8, 2003).

Suffern is described as being 5-foot-10 in height, weighing about 160 pounds and having blue eyes and salt-and-pepper colored hair worn in a crew cut. He also has blue tattoos on both arms.''
Wrong hair color in addition to the height/weight being off. I don't think he is the unidentified.

Perhaps he was out fishing and fell off a pier or bridge. While he was well dressed for fishing or boating, it's not surprising. That generation was always well dressed daily as they were usually raised that way. Kinda like the old golf guys always looking so sharp in their golf shirts and shirts. If the tide was going out and the wind coming from the south, that would explain why they think he drifted north. Perhaps it was dusk and nobody noticed. It wouldn't take long for mother nature to move a body 5 miles offshore.

upload_2021-7-22_14-33-19.png

Those pictures are difficult to look at for sure. As much as I hate to say it, I'm getting more of an elder abuse type of vibe after viewing the photographs. Not that there is glaring evidence of that but he just appears so frail to me like maybe someone who could not care for himself and was a huge burden on someone.
Also, the funeral at sea thing still is possible. Wish we had a definitive C.O.D.

Thank you for the link but I can’t see the photo either. I have only seen the recon not the actually postmortem. Is that what Iam looking for.. or is there an actual postmortem? Thank you again
They are not visible to me anymore either, sorry!
Well i can say the sketch is a good representation of the man, imo.

Unidentified Person Florida Navy

vet-doe-august-2_orig.png

1037-109712_orig.jpg

''The victim was located floating face down in a weed line approx. 5 miles east of the Boynton Inlet and 3 miles north, in Boynton Beach, Florida. The detectives believe that this person may have possibly entered the water in Dade or Broward Counties.

Scar/mark:
12 inch scar on the center of his stomach and back. To the left of the scar on his stomach was another 3 inch scar. 12 inch scar on his left shoulder blade. 1 in scar on neck. 9 in scar on abdomen. "zipper" 6 in scar on lumbar region

Possibly wore a back brace.''

I came across this one which is the old sketch

John Doe Florida Navy

3634943.jpg

John Doe Florida Navy

Race: White
Sex: Male
Weight (pounds): 176, Estimated
Height (inches): 73, Estimated
Hair color: Red/Auburn
Eye color: Unknown

Circumstances:
The victim was located floating face down in a weed line approx. 5 miles east of the Boynton Inlet and 3 miles north, in Boynton Beach, Florida. The detectives believe that this person may have possibly entered the water in Dade or Broward Counties.

Scars and Marks: 12 inch scar on the center of his stomach and back. To the left of the scar on his stomach was another 3 inch scar. A 12 inch scar on his left shoulder blade.

Tattoos: Old tattoo which appears to be an anchor or some type of Navy tattoo

Clothing on body: White t-shirt, white polo shirt with black and brown pinstripes on the border of the sleeves and neckline, khaki pants and brown socks

Fingerprint information is currently not available
Dental Status: No dental information is currently available.
DNA Status: No DNA information is currently available

I was still able to open it this morning. I snipped the entire block of photos as one and pasted it below...... but warning, it is graphic.... scroll down if interested.
.upload_2021-7-24_9-16-7.png

I was still able to open it this morning. I snipped the entire block of photos as one and pasted it below...... but warning, it is graphic.... scroll down if interested.
.View attachment 305766

oh Payroll thank you for posting. Yeah for some reason I could not see them. Iam noticing his hair almost looks like it’s dyed.

I found this guy. Height in range but no mentón of tattoo

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP17276Adrian Charles Reuwsaat, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactNovember 1, 2002
Missing FromSioux City, Iowa

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age69 Years
Current Age88 Years
First NameAdrian
Middle NameCharles
Last NameReuwsaat
Nickname/Alias--

SexMale
Height5' 8" (68 Inches)
Weight190 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactNovember 1, 2002
NamUs Case CreatedSeptember 1, 2012
Last Known Location Map
LocationSioux City, Iowa
CountyWoodbury County
Missing From Tribal Land--
Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of DisappearanceAdrian was last seen in Sioux City, IA on 11/01/2002 and was reported missing to law enforcement on 11/03/2002.

Those pictures are difficult to look at for sure. As much as I hate to say it, I'm getting more of an elder abuse type of vibe after viewing the photographs. Not that there is glaring evidence of that but he just appears so frail to me like maybe someone who could not care for himself and was a huge burden on someone.
Also, the funeral at sea thing still is possible. Wish we had a definitive C.O.D.
He does seem frail which makes me think he didn't put that back brace on by himself. He had to have had help. Perhaps his family member, a home health aid, his caretaker, etc. That would mean there is additional DNA unless that person were so covered up in long sleeves, gloves, etc so as to barely leave a trace behind. Not that his helper is responsible for his demise but that finding them could help them with historical info, such as who/what/where/when, etc.

He does seem frail which makes me think he didn't put that back brace on by himself. He had to have had help. Perhaps his family member, a home health aid, his caretaker, etc. That would mean there is additional DNA unless that person were so covered up in long sleeves, gloves, etc so as to barely leave a trace behind. Not that his helper is responsible for his demise but that finding them could help them with historical info, such as who/what/where/when, etc.
Not a chance somebody else's DNA survived immersion in salt water. Also, those braces are really easy to put on, just a big velcro belt. If anything they're more difficult to remove than to put on. JMO.

Based on the age estimates he could have been active in the Navy during these conflicts:

Korean War (1950-1953) Communist North Korea, supported by China, invaded non-communist South Korea. UN forces, principally made up of U.S. troops, fought successfully to protect South Korea.

Bay of Pigs (1961) The U.S. orchestrated the invasion, an unsuccessful attempt by Cuban exiles to overthrow Fidel Castro's communist regime in Cuba.

Vietnam War (1961-1973) The United States joined the war on the side of South Vietnam in 1961, but withdrew combat troops in 1973.

If we presume the estimated age as being 65 to 75 that would put the UID born between 1928 to 1938. Making him eligible at 22 for the Korean War at the earlier birthdate but ineligible for active service if his birthdate was after 1933 . There was a peacetime draft between 1954 to 1964 so regardless of his birthday, he would have been eligible for both the Bay of Pigs and the Vietnam war.

The tattoo looks like a military tattoo for the Marines. I see the globe, the eagle and the anchor. Would Merchant Marines also be entitled to wear those tattoos?

The scars are interesting. Because he was probably a vet we could assume the scars are related to his active service but could they also be related to some medical issues? My dad had an exploratory operation done back in the late 60s and he had a huge scar running down his front from below his clavicle to just below the navel. He also had what appeared to be a stab wound on the other side of his abdomen but it had been used to drain the abdominal cavity. It was about three inches long. I'm confused about the two seemingly identical scars appearing both on his back and front. Could that be from some type of war related injury? He wore a back brace. People with scoliosis have back braces and operation scars can run along the spine. Usually scoliosis is discovered in juveniles but can exhibit in adults. If he was a vet would he be receiving benefits? He certainly doesn't appear homeless. It's incredible this man hasn't been identified.

Agree about the wars. Don't agree about the Korean war being fought successfully. Still a stalemate since South Korea never signed the armistice. Korea is still actively in a state of war.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbrown@spartanburgcounty.
Back