FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was glad to see some of the students being afforded the opportunity to speak out via the media today as well. It's easy to sit back and be complacent when it's not happening to you or your loved ones.

Agree. This a deeply concerned and articulate bunch. It has been an education to listen to them, however heartbreaking.

I typically have great disdain for how access to personal phones has pervaded our schools and I'm always one for saying I'd forbid them in my classroom if I were a teacher BUT...I'm so glad this girl had access to her phone. It gave her the ability to connect with her sister for what could have been the very last time. Crushing.

In his Instagram pic of a similar gun he was considering buying, it was $200 + for gun alone. I asked a ways back, where he got the money. He had more guns than just this one.

Inheritance? Life insurance from his mom passing? He also did have a job. even if minimum wage, if he’s not paying rent, it’s not hard to acquire $200. JMO

President Trump, in a pro-forma public statement on the Parkland, Fla., shooting, ordered flags on government buildings to be flown at half-mast through Monday, but didn't call for any reconsideration of the nation's inexcusably lax gun laws. Last February, he scrapped an Obama-era regulation making it tougher for people with mental illnesses to buy a gun.
Perhaps Trump doesn't want to risk disturbing the NRA, which spent more than $30 million in 2016 to support him and defeat his opponent, Hillary Clinton. (These figures come from the Center for Responsive Politics.)

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-nra-politicians-20180215-story.html

:tyou:

Yes, it is hard to find help for these kids. Sometimes you'll find it, but then insurance will stop paying for the facility. Or the child starts a treatment plan and does well for 6 months...then quits taking medicine/stops therapy. It's a difficult path.
My company just got bought out. My old insurance had full-blown benefits for therapy, which I utilized in full for one of my dependents. My new insurance has suck for mental health benefits. Very frustrating! I can pay $800 a month for weekly counseling or find affordable options such as student interns, which is looking like the best option for us at this point.

As long as the US perioritizes gun rights over mental health, I see no change coming. Ever.

Don't get me wrong, we have numerous guns locked in a rather sophisticated 500-lb gun safe, and they will stay essentially inaccessible until we are empty nesters again. That is not even open for discussion. I am mama bear, hear me roar.

Graduation Rates- I am in charge of graduation rates for a district and am not sure how a district could fake the stats. They start tracking this in 9th grade. If a student leaves your high school, and you can't provide proof that they enrolled in another school (in state or out of state) or left to homeschool, then that student counts against your stats if they do not graduate. It also counts against a school when students drop out and get a GED. In my state, I'm not sure how you could cheat the stats with computerized enrollment programs.

I also worked many years as a school counselor and can contest that many schools work very diligently to get help for troubled students. I have been involved with families that we took to court to have a judge force them to get their child mental health counseling or to continue medication for severe issues like schizophrenia or schizoaffective. I've called Child Protective services and LE and have worked hand-in-hand with both to get help for students. I had a Licensed Therapist on site who provided therapy students, but a parent had to give permission and be involved in the therapy. It is extremely frustrating if you don't have a parent who is willing to get help for their child. And you would be shocked at parents who do not cooperate. Some parents had their own mental health issues. Others didn't like the school's involvement and moved away...and I would pick up the phone and contact the next school to give them info. Sorry for the rant, but I promise some schools work very hard to get help for troubled students. And schools cannot tell other parents what all they have done to get help for a student.

It sounds like the shooter did have previous mental health services. But at 19, as an adult, he could make his own choices about getting help or taking meds.

I read the shooter was FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome), but I wonder if he was RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5396665/Florida-shooter-19-fetal-alcohol-syndrome.html

its easy to veiw caretaker as non compliant

but the reality is money

other kids in the house

own issues

etc etc

that is how it works social services document caretaker non compliant with
treatment plan without considering mom resources to be able to do so

it is obserd her 15 year old is in juvie

her car croaked

her middle child misses his older sibling

starts acting out

he is suspended

mom has to go to her min wage job

social services is already involved and so an unannounced visit and find the middle child unsupervised

mom is ordered to parenting classes across town (gas) she has to work has to make choices misses work and is fired now unemployed

bills come in no money elec is killed social services stop by and see no elec

charge mom with neglect noone has money to get mom out

so the kids are removed

sure mom has the legal right to dispute taking the kids away

problem is mom cant really read

so she cant get through the 47 pages of legal stuff on how to appeal the removal

mom is a wreck she misses her kids starts self medicating

the youngest sibling has lost his eldest sibling his middle sibling mom is a wreck has no power starts acting out in school

mom is already connected with social services so now the youngest has been suspended also and is home sad scared angry confused and unsupervised

exactly what do we think is gonna happen ?

truancy folks in school call him in for missing

now there is cr@@ on that end

mom gets a DUI

cant bond out

has court stuff that she cant afford fines

they system views that as unfit parent

so the system picks up removal of all her kids

mom goes to legal aid for help for by now the 125 pages of legal stuff

takes 9 hours to get to talk to legal aid

yeh there is power company help with the power bill

all mom has to do is drive across town and wait in line for 5 hours for a month waiver

but she lost her license with the dui

if she can get to the other side of town she can get a bus pass for a month

what took 28 minutes to get to the food stamp office monthly for 89 bucks on the bus now takes 3 hours one way

i could go on and on and on

Inheritance? Life insurance from his mom passing? He also did have a job. even if minimum wage, if he’s not paying rent, it’s not hard to acquire $200. JMO

If qualified, at the time of his father’s death, he, his brother and mother would have been able to collect social security. My dad died when I was 12 and I collected SS until I married at 18.

New video Cnn short

Dressing appropriately is difficult with this population

Neighbor filming

he is in underwear with giant military boots ( that is the wrong order) shoes without pants over ones underwear

who puts on lace up black boots black socks while wearing underwear outside

red cap

as the video starts he is walking in

apparently he had a compulsion to shoot his BB gun a couple of times and goes back in

as it relates to the shooting

At some level plans the events

afterwards in a purple polo shirt decides he is a dash thirsty

while cop cars are screeching all over the city

calls dad to say he is a bit confused if he might have done something bad insight is non existent

then apparently decides he is in the mood in his notable purple polo for a quarter pounder

clear indicators of a brain incapable of processing the world around him

cops called to the house 30 times

moo

classic developmental delay issues

re read above and make if as if a three year old did some of this

different world huh ??

He called someone afterwards? His dad is deceased, I thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My company just got bought out. My old insurance had full-blown benefits for therapy, which I utilized in full for one of my dependents. My new insurance has suck for mental health benefits. Very frustrating! I can pay $800 a month for weekly counseling or find affordable options such as student interns, which is looking like the best option for us at this point.

As long as the US perioritizes gun rights over mental health, I see no change coming. Ever.

Don't get me wrong, we have numerous guns locked in a rather sophisticated 500-lb gun safe, and they will stay essentially inaccessible until we are empty nesters again. That is not even open for discussion. I am mama bear, hear me roar.

ROAR its not even as loud as the machine gun fire ~

She's grieving. She is a survivor. She has direct experience of this horror. It was hard to watch for sure, but anger and grief that fuel change are surely better than the usual platitudes. And some, if not all, of the systemic failures she highlights are within the control of the President, and certainly of legislators broadly considered.

I don’t recall the same anger being directed at Clinton after columbine, bush after the Amish school shooting, or Obama after sandy hook. I’m not being sarcastic, I just really don’t remember if it happened. I do remember though, that all of those presidents said they wanted to/were going to make changes. And here we are. What changes did they make? This has been an issue long before our current president. JMO

At the very least, the age to purchase a semi automatic needs to be upped to 21 or 25. If that were the case, most of these “school shooters” would not have been able to obtain one so easily.

What? Her child is dead because another person decided to cause harm to them. I am not going to discuss NRA or anythingredients dealing with them because it's not supposed to be on this thread. There were several chances to stop this tragedy but no one took the reigns and did. The warning signs were there, no one acted

No one could have stopped this tragedy or the next ones to come. Just saying you are going to shoot something up is not a crime. This is a problem and I think it has something to do with freedom of speech. That is the problem.

At the very least, the age to purchase a semi automatic needs to be upped to 21 or 25. If that were the case, most of these “school shooters” would not have been able to obtain one so easily.

Then they'll rent a box truck and ram it into a group of people

confusing

yesterday with him on the ground in handcuffs his hair was RED ( Holmes)

in court today not ??

wash out dye???

Then they'll rent a box truck and ram it into a group of people

So we should shrug and say nothing will work and why even try?
In some areas of vehicle attacks barriers have been erected along walkways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99