FL FL - Athalia Ponsell Lindsley, 56, St. Augustine, 23 January 1974

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Fede

Reaction score
As her bio says, Athalia Ponsell Lindsley was an American model, Broadway dancer, political activist and television personality on the show Winner Take All. She was murdered on January 23rd 1974.
"Lindsley had been in an ongoing feud with a neighbor called Alan Griffin Stanford Jr. One of the concerns was the six stray dogs she took in that barked incessantly. Stanford had threatened Athalia`s life.
Between 5:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on January 23, 1974, Lindsley was attacked on the front steps of her home at 124 Marine Street by a white middle-aged male wearing a white dress shirt and dark dress pants. She was struck nine times by the machete on her hand, arm and in the head. One of her fingers was severed and she was nearly decapitated. Toward the end of the attack, an 18-year-old neighbor, Locke McCormick, heard the sounds of a commotion and went outside to look. He allegedly shouted to his mother that "Mr. Stanford is hitting Mrs. Ponsell." After the perpetrator left, the McCormicks went next door and saw Lindsley lying in a pool of blood on her porch and called 911.
Stanford was indicted and brought to trial; after two hours of jury deliberation, he was acquitted. Critics accused the police of botching the investigation and tainting evidence".
Here is more info on the case:
Athalia Ponsell Lindsley
The True Crime Database - Case File

I remember this case well, as I am a lifetime resident here. I was 13 years old, and Locke McCormick became a personal friend of mine later and still is to this day. We share the same passion of sports car racing.
He has told me in no uncertain terms that it was Alan Stanford who he watched kill her. He lived right next door to him.

Comment at the bottom.

Cold Cases Cracked: St. Augustine, FL - "Athalia Ponsell Lindsley Murder"

But blood droplets were found in his county vehicle, a Chevrolet Impala, and a blood trail led to the wall of his property from Athalia's steps.
Critics accused the police of botching the investigation and tainting evidence. St. Augustine Police Sgt. Dominic Nicklo, now retired, said, "Jinx Lindsley was eliminated (as a suspect) immediately. He was somewhere else. We know Alan did it. We had the right guy."
These details all lead up to my theory: Lindsley was murdered by her sleazy neighbor, Stanford. The man got away with it because of a lack of justice.

Lots more at the link.

St. Augustine Socialite Hacked to Death in '74 - Locals Still Cautious with Talk about "Suicide" Ruling - The Constantine Report

Snips:
There had been an ongoing feud between Lindsley and County Manager Stanford for a variety of reasons, one of which was the six stray dogs she took in who were said to bark incessantly. Recorded in a transcript of an October 1973 county meeting, Lindsley made a complaint on record about Stanford’s salary hike to $20,000. One of the commissioners replied; “I am aware you are a neighbor of the Stanfords and that y’all have had neighbor problems.” to which she answered, “That’s true. (But) my life has been threatened. You mention personal things, he threatened my life.”

On November 3, 1974, Ponsell Lindsley’s friend and neighbor Frances Bemis went out for her evening walk and never returned, she was found the next day in a vacant lot on the corner of Bridge and Marine streets with her skull bashed in. Having been a professional newspaper writer, amongst other professions, she may have been gathering material for a book on Lindsley’s murder; she had alluded to having certain information. Her murder, like Lindsley’s, was never solved. …

I remember this case well, as I am a lifetime resident here. I was 13 years old, and Locke McCormick became a personal friend of mine later and still is to this day. We share the same passion of sports car racing.
He has told me in no uncertain terms that it was Alan Stanford who he watched kill her. He lived right next door to him.
I remember some local discussion that LM may have received a sports car from the prime suspect to forget what he saw or something to that affect... always wondered if that was true or just local gossip. Really amazing that Stanford got off and always wondered about the elderly lady who was killed nearby afterwards that might have had info regarding the murder... a very complex case for such a small town at the time.

Locke was 18 at the time, and he said he is convinced it was Alan Stanford who he saw walking away after hearing screams. I will try to find a way to ask him about the sports car thing.

This morning, by coincidence, I happened to watch an episode of the TV series, City Confidential. The episode was titled, "The Socialite and the Politician". It first premiered on May 9, 2000.

It covered the life and death of Athalia Ponsell Lindsley. The general consensus was that Alan Stanford got away with murder.

Funny enough, my brother was a county commissioner here at the time that episode was produced, and him and his wife are seen in it during a party.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back