FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be many fisherman/boaters out looking for these boys.This is a lifestyle in S.Fl. and people and boats go missing sometimes,usually from bad weather and I suspect that is what happened here.It is still possible they could be alive but they have to find them soon.

Just said on CNN,they had no GPS.That is not good and I can not understand why you would not have one on a boat this size? We had one and we were boarded by PB patrol and they check for jackets,radio,flairs,not sure if gps is required.

I have a scanner AP on my phone that is programmed to come on whenever more than 2000 listeners are tuned to a specific station. Today at about 2:00 pm EDT the "Jacksonville Marine" station came to life. Lots of chatter between Coast Guard boats between Charleston and Mayport. The incident ended with the Jacksonville dispatcher reading a NOTM {Notice to Mariners} giving a description of two people (presumably in the water}

I am so worried about these boys. I was really thinking that they'd be found with the boat. I wonder if they have anything that is keeping them afloat in the ocean. Praying, praying, praying for the boys and their families. I can't imagine what they are all going through right now.

Does anyone know how far off land the capsized boat was found?

I live about 20 minutes north of Jupiter now, but I lived IN Jupiter for 15 years. I don't know either family, but I have friends with the Jupiter Police Dept. I know JPD has been assisting the Tequesta PD in offshore searches.

One thing to note is that the Jupiter Inlet is VERY dangerous to navigate. It's actually classified as "non-navigable" by the USCG. Due to the area it's situated in, there is a cross-current in the center of the inlet. I have personally seen boats capsize in it; and more than one seasoned captain has completely lost their butt in it. There are large rocks on either side, and once you're committed and in the inlet, there's no turning around or backing out. If you try to turn around, you're going over. Honestly, most people I know go down the intercoastal to West Palm and use the inlet by Peanut Island. Especially in a small boat like that.

I do hope and pray they'll be found, but I don't have a good feeling about it at all.

i also wanted to add that the weather has been squally the past week or so. When the seas kick up to more than 3-5 feet, the inlet churns up and is even more dangerous.

Local news is saying the boat was found 67 miles off Ponce de Leon inlet. Just to give everyone some hope, I can offer this story from last May, where the Coast Guard station found a man floating on a bean bag 22 miles offshore - the CG searchers are very good and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the boys did have some flotation devices onboard:

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/wa...-searched-after-man-reported-missing/33074638

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/coast-guard-boat-found-ponce-inlet-may-be-missing-/nm62R/

Local news is saying the boat was found 67 miles off Ponce de Leon inlet. Just to give everyone some hope, I can offer this story from last May, where the Coast Guard station found a man floating on a bean bag 22 miles offshore - the CG searchers are very good and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the boys did have some flotation devices onboard:

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/wa...-searched-after-man-reported-missing/33074638

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/coast-guard-boat-found-ponce-inlet-may-be-missing-/nm62R/

67 miles seems huge to me, but I am not a beach/ocean person. I wonder if they went out through the more dangerous waterway because they were not old enough to drive their boat to a safer waterway? Or had these boys often used the nearest waterway to fish out in the ocean?

My brother (a tournament champion fisherman) in **that** area on that day went out on his 45 ft fishing boat & came in as soon as the storm came in quickly. He said it was 6-8 ft seas coming in at 2-3 minutes apart with wind gusts of 40mph.
Very rough seas.

Praying for these young fellas!

67 miles seems huge to me, but I am not a beach/ocean person. I wonder if they went out through the more dangerous waterway because they were not old enough to drive their boat to a safer waterway? Or had these boys often used the nearest waterway to fish out in the ocean?

Wendy---yes, the Jupiter Inlet is closer for these two teens than the other inlet that poster cuffem was mentioning. The inlet near Peanut Island (Port of Palm Beach) is much safer but would've tacked on significant time & fuel to their trip.

My brother (a tournament champion fisherman) in **that** area on that day went out on his 45 ft fishing boat & came in as soon as the storm came in quickly. He said it was 6-8 ft seas coming in at 2-3 minutes apart with wind gusts of 40mph.
Very rough seas.

Praying for these young fellas!

Oh my.....that sounds awful! I'm with you in praying for these boys.

Wendy---yes, the Jupiter Inlet is closer for these two teens than the other inlet that poster cuffem was mentioning. The inlet near Peanut Island (Port of Palm Beach) is much safer but would've tacked on significant time & fuel to their trip.

How did they boys get the boat to the water? The photo I saw was of the boat on a trailer. Did an adult drive them to launch the boat?

How did they boys get the boat to the water? The photo I saw was of the boat on a trailer. Did an adult drive them to launch the boat?

I don't think an adult drove them to a boat launch--at least that has not been reported in MSM.
I will say that many homes here are on rivers, the intracoastal, or lagoons that frequently lead out to Jupiter Inlet which mouths out to the Atlantic Ocean with the Gulf Stream less than a mile out. Very tricky, treacherous Inlet.

So they could've kept the boat in their backyard (docked in the water most of the year) which invariably may lead to the Inlet. I don't know their exact address so it's hard to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway