Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could be onto something here, BoH. Side by side with one of Mostly Harmless's early photos.

I was getting ready to do the same as you, carbuff! I was also struck by the similarity. I apologize that these two photos are in their original form, and I didn't get them into a side-by-side, but this is my first time posting for an unidentified person. I used these two pictures, both from previous posts of other sleuthers:

upload_2018-12-4_22-9-57.png

upload_2018-12-4_22-11-5.png

Bit of Hope, I think Karl Busch is not among the officially listed as missing people. If I recall, LE said they had already checked all officially listed missing. So not only is Karl a good match facially, he is also someone LE has perhaps not considered.

WOAH!! the frontal view of both looks very similar and the resemblance is uncanny! I am struck by the brow crease by his left eye. these two could be brothers if not the same person.

Also: the previous DUI charges: if he didn't harm anyone, one could say he was "Mostly Harmless"

Edited to add: Giants fan = an indication there could possibly be a connection with New York.

WOAH!! the frontal view of both looks very similar and the resemblance is uncanny! I am struck by the brow crease by his left eye. these two could be brothers if not the same person.

Also: the previous DUI charges: if he didn't harm anyone, one could say he was "Mostly Harmless"

Edited to add: Giants fan = an indication there could possibly be a connection with New York.

I think they probably mean the San Francisco Giants baseball team.

Screen-Shot-2017-11-08-at-8.36.30-AM.png

What if this man lost a lot of weight and would grow a beard?

When People Go Missing, Legal Limitations Make It Hard for Friends, Family to Find Them

Part of the article written on November 2017:

Her younger brother, Karl Busch, a handyman by trade, wore his usual garb: frayed jeans, a baseball cap and goatee. He kept quiet, but seemed in good spirits despite a recent breakup.

That night, or sometime soon after—it’s unclear when, exactly—Busch took off with nothing but a knapsack and his white Ford Econoline. Few thought much of his departure at first, until a week passed. Then months.

But his sister wasn’t the only one
trying to find him.

The Scaddens began getting calls from Aladdin Bail Bonds. Busch, who had two prior DUI convictions, got pinched with a third and sentenced to community service. But he stopped showing up, despite a $30,000 bounty to his name.

Over the next year, there were still some signs of life from Busch. Someone went back to his cottage a couple months after he went missing and took his computer and clothing. The following summer, in July of 2013, he closed the Bank of America account he shared with his father since his young adulthood.

“That was the last blip,” Scadden says. “After that, nothing.”

Hope Remains

Anneliese Scadden takes some measure of comfort knowing that her brother, who would be 51 years old by now, had the skills to survive on his own. He knew how to build things from scratch. He could repair cars, fix things around the house and had enough of a reputation in the South Bay to enjoy steady work by word-of-mouth referrals.

“He’s such a handyman,” Scadden says from a Campbell coffee shop on a recent fall morning. “He could live out in the mountains and get along just fine. One possibility we’ve considered is that he’s living on a ranch somewhere as a ranch hand.”

But there’s one detail about Busch’s disappearance that’s both agonizing and hopeful. Nobody ever found his van, which would have been flagged if it ever got towed or pulled over by police.

“That could mean he’s out there,” Scadden’s husband, Michael, suggests. “It at least means that he took the vehicle somewhere it wouldn’t be found, where nobody would report it as abandoned.”

Additional photo, no other info and I didn't find a missing persons file.

18768341_226789267821522_4129735232120971399_o.jpg

And stats
Born: 02-02-1966
Brown Hair, Blue eyes, 5’ 11”
Works as an independent handyman and skilled in construction.
Grew up in Morgan Hill CA and lived in Manteca, San Jose and Florida
Graduated from Live Oak in 1984
Owns a white Ford Econoline Van
Huge Sharks fan, Giants fan and likes to watch games in sports bars
Frequented The Box Seat Bar and Grill in Morgan Hill, CA

This has to be him!
Height is off slightly at 5'11" but everything else is screaming match to me.
His eyes, his slightly crooked smile with a slight dimple in his cheek, his straight teeth, the crinkle in his brow just above his nose, hair, eyebrows and ear placement all look the same to me.
The timing of Karl closing his bank account in July 2013 fits with the year the tent model was made. Being from California fits with the tent and other equipment brands he had that are not as common on the East Coast.
Grew up partly in Live Oak, FL and he has 6 siblings-- he might actually have a sister in Florida.
Please tell me someone has sent this in?
If this is him, Karl needs to go home for Christmas this year.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    923.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I was getting ready to do the same as you, carbuff! I was also struck by the similarity. I apologize that these two photos are in their original form, and I didn't get them into a side-by-side, but this is my first time posting for an unidentified person. I used these two pictures, both from previous posts of other sleuthers:

View attachment 158418

View attachment 158419

I’ve always been struck by the eyes of our unidentified hiker.....such warmth...depth..honesty......I really don’t know how to put it into words, but I’m sure you all see it too.

The eyes of this missing person are very similar.

A sister looking for him also.

And as Ursamjr says maybe remorse regarding issues with alcohol/DUI’s hence the name “Mostly Harmless”.....

I think the resemblance is close but that it isn’t the same person. The thing that bothers me most is that Karl’s eyes are much closer together than MH’s. Nevertheless, I agree that you should definitely submit him!

Sorry, I meant today. I've been up late packing and I forgot about being after midnight!

Edit: I just sent a message, with a photo, to the FindKarl FB page. I said that if they thought it was promising, there was more info available.

Last edited:
Bit of Hope, I think Karl Busch is not among the officially listed as missing people. If I recall, LE said they had already checked all officially listed missing. So not only is Karl a good match facially, he is also someone LE has perhaps not considered.

Exactly! That's one of the reasons I brought him here. LE sounded a little bit cocky about they checked every database, basically saying people don't have to look in the regular databases for a possible match. This family tried to file him as a missing person, but LE refused with the argument that everybody has the right to disappear. Another reason is the story, the way he went of the radar, his background (for instance, doing all kinds of jobs to pay for hostels - handy man), ties to Florida, CA, quiet guy, had a breakup...etc...and the pattern of his beard growth.

It's ok with me if someone could submit him, call him in...most important thing is that he is brought under the attention of the police. I think calling them would be best/better then just posting on the Facebook page. Calling for me from the Netherlands is a bit "tricky", so if somebody is willing to do this......

View attachment 158418

View attachment 158419

Hope you don't mind, I've done a quick zoomed in side-by-side of these two pics. I'm sure it's him. Great find BOH.

MH.jpg

It's ok with me if someone could submit him, call him in...most important thing is that he is brought under the attention of the police. I think calling them would be best/better then just posting on the Facebook page. Calling for me from the Netherlands is a bit "tricky", so if somebody is willing to do this......

I'm not able to call Florida either, Bit of Hope.
But I'm so happy you kept looking.
I really think this is him!

Re posting the contact info and hoping someone here can call (I don't see an email contact so I think it needs to be a phone call):

Collier County Sheriff's Office
(239) 252-9300

Agency Case Number18-234970
Kevin O’Neill, CID Homicide Section

Unidentified Person Case

Anyone with information about the man’s identity is asked to call the Collier County Sheriff’s Office at 239-252-9300.
Collier County Sheriff's Office

Every possibility in Namus has not been checked. They can only auto compare if the DNA/Fingerprints/Dental are on file. Other than that they will have to do it manually for potentials that match height, weight, eye color etc...That will take a long time. As of now, they are only showing comparison/ruled out of two in Namus

Matt Greene-Avid Rock Climber/Hiker
Missing since July 17, 2013

What matches:
  • Height: Approximate 5'11
  • Weight: 155
  • Hair Color: Blonde/brown
  • Eye Color: Blue
  • Crease by eyebrow
  • Teeth look good
  • Ear seems to match
  • Mole on bottom of neck (wrong side or image reversed?)
What doesn't match:
  • Disappeared 4 years prior to being seen on AT
  • Occupation-Math Teacher (if Harmless was truthful about past of being Tech)
  • Wears glasses/contacts
  • Mole on bottom of neck (wrong side or reversed photo?)

Matthew_5.jpg

https://www.climbing.com/people/van...appearance-of-a-climber-in-the-sierra-nevada/

I would love to see an overlay of this mans face with MH!!!

I sent Karl Busch profile through FB private message to Collier County Sheriff at 5:47..and within minutes 5:52 I received a reply....Not the decedent..Thanks
I gave all the information height, eye, hair, etc and the article/fb page for him
I am not understanding how they can rule it out without doing a little investigating unless they know something we don't...What are they looking for and why won't they share it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova