GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that's been bothering me-it seems as if Dan didn't know the person because he said someone is in the driveway. But why would he open his garage door with a stranger right there. Doesn't it seem like he would stop outside of the garage and find out what the person wants? This is the only thing that makes me think he might have known the shooter.

always reading, that's a nice point you make. I've run over that scenario a few times in my head. I grew up in the country in a house that had a 100ft. long driveway. And I've tried to imagine coming home and seeing someone standing halfway down it, like at the 50ft. mark. Would I stop to see what the person wanted? If I knew the person, would I have stopped? If I didn't know the person, what would I have done?

The answer? I guess it depends. At 11am on a beautiful Friday morning in July, if the person didn't look scary, I guess I would've stopped. But my driveway was a lot longer. In Dan's case, he might've thinking: Okay, someone's in my driveway. I don't know the person. Let me park the car, get off the phone, then see what this person wants. His driveway was only like 30ft. long, so those actions would make sense.

I think that's why I've tried to disect his words, "Someone's in my driveway." But we don't know how he said it, his inflection, the speed of the words, etc.--all things that would tell us how he felt about the person standing in the driveway. Being that he willingly opened his garage door and stayed on the phone until the point he was shot, it tells me he wasn't too concerned about the person on his property.

But using the word, "someone", tells me one of two things. Either, Dan didn't know the person in the driveway. OR, he knew the person and he didn't want to let the person on the phone know who was in the driveway. To put it in another context: I'm talking to my girlfriend on the phone, there's a knock at the door, I open it up, it's my other girlfriend, what do I say to my girlfriend on the phone? "Someone was at the door. They were looking for the apartment around the back." And I tell the girlfriend at the door, "Someone's on the phone, give me a couple minutes." (The preceding scenario is just an example, trust me.)

But I think you see what I'm saying. "Someone" can mean different things.

I thought maybe he opened the garage as he was driving on the street to have it ready by the time he pulled up. I have seen many people do this. Some remotes operate at a good distance from the actual door. Then he is parked and talking on the phone and sees the person walk up his driveway. He had not shut the garage because he was probably going to do that once his phone call ended.

I thought maybe he opened the garage as he was driving on the street to have it ready by the time he pulled up. I have seen many people do this. Some remotes operate at a good distance from the actual door. Then he is parked and talking on the phone and sees the person walk up his driveway. He had not shut the garage because he was probably going to do that once his phone call ended.
Colette, this was my understanding as well. That he had pulled into his garage and then saw the " someone" in the driveway either from the side mirror or the rearview. Maybe I assumed that scenario just from my own personal experience.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

colette and east2west, this is what makes this particular case interesting, besides the uniqueness of it.

The way I've read the facts of the case, I've believed there was somebody standing in Dan's driveway when he pulled up. So, when he said, "Someone's in my driveway," I've believed he said it while he was still out on the main street.

Whereas, and I suppose it could be the case, some believe he said, "Someone's in my driveway," when he was already parked in his garage. And noticed the person in the sideview or rearview mirror.

The problem is we don't know which is the case. We would need to know the time span from when he made the statement to when the shot went off. If it was like 7 seconds, then I think it can be inferred that Dan made the statement once he was already in his garage.

However, if the span between Dan's statement and the shot was, like, 20 seconds, then I think it lends itself to the idea Dan saw the killer in the driveway while Dan was still out on the street. But we don't know that time span, so the entire scenario is up for speculation. Furthermore, each scenario takes the case off in very opposite directions.

If Dan didn't see the person in the driveway until he was already in the garage, then it's VERY possible the killer followed him home. This would lend itself to anything from being stalked to a road rage incident. Of course, the killer could've been waiting down the street and then walked up when he saw Dan pull in--this would lend itself to somebody knowing Dan would come home eventually, but not knowing the exact time.

Whereas, if the killer was waiting for Dan at his house and was in the driveway already, then this is a scenario where the killer knew when Dan was coming home almost to the minute--and the whole thing seems a lot more sinister.

I went back and real quick watched a couple different news reports from those days following Dan's murder. This one for instance:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fsu-professor-talking-cell-phone-shooting-happened/story?id=24737462

In the ABC report, it explicitly says the killer was waiting in Dan's driveway. How they know that? I'm not sure. So, Dan had to have seen the killer while Dan was still out on the street. The point I've made about this scenario is Dan's driveway isn't that wide. If that Prius was parked in it, there would be no way for Dan to pull around it to get into his garage.

So, the conclusion I've drawn is: The Prius was not in the driveway but out on the street and the killer was out of the car and in the driveway/yard waiting for Dan.

I'm looking a lot closer to home on this one.

I agree. I think this case will only be solved if the police are able to establish probable cause to have a search warrant issued for phone records.

Yes....another Faculty Member or a current or former Law student.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

chicagofa13, kudos to you for citing the Anthony Garcia case. Yep, it went unsolved for a long time despite police having a description of the killer. Somebody from Dan's past? Hmmmm, gonna think about that.

This 1991 murder of a very accomplished professor is interesting, imo.
Initially disgruntled students, or colleagues were suspected, but ultimately, he was targeted because of his politics..
Lengthy article.

http://linguafranca.mirror.theinfo.org/9209/culianu.html

"The Killing Of Professor Culianu
By Ted Anton
"

" At 41, Professor Culianu was adored by students and admired by scholars from Umberto Eco to Harold Bloom. Fluent in eight languages, the author of seventeen books, and the holder of three Ph.D.'s, Culianu was "brilliant, famous in Europe," says Dr. Moshe Idel, a Hebrew University professor and expert on Tewish mysticism. Tall, with a dimpled smile and deep eyes that looked somewhere beyond you, Ioan Culianu proposed that multiple universes coexist, that the mind creates reality, and that magic can outperform modern science. In the weeks before his murder, on May 21, 1991, he was finishing three books, planning his wedding, preparing for a long anticipated return to Romania, and hosting a conference in Chicago with the retrospectively haunting title "Other Realms: Death, Ecstasy, and Otherworldly Tourneys in Recent Scholarship."

But it is the prophetic quality of the victim's own political statements and Borgesian fiction that add the eeriest dimension to this chilling story"

It makes sense to me that Dan opened his garage door as he pulled in the driveway, entered the garage, while talking on his cell phone. He was preoccupied with his phone conversation, as a person entered the garage, came to his window, and shot him. I don't think he would have pulled in his garage, with a person standing in his driveway! :twocents:

IMHO

wildebeest, the problem I have--as I've stated before--is the statement Dan makes to whoever was on the phone: "Someone's in my driveway." He didn't say, "Someone's car is in my driveway," or "Hey, somebody just appeared in my driveway," or "Someone's walking up my driveway." Because those statements, and all their variations, mean different things.

My issue is I believe Dan would've described whatever he saw. When I read, "Someone's in my driveway," that describes someone stationary, whether sitting, standing or lying down. If the person were doing pushups, Dan, I think, would've said, "Someone's doing push-ups in my driveway."

The way I see it is this: If Dan actually was in his garage before seeing "someone in his driveway", at that point the killer would've been moving toward Dan's car in a hurried motion. So, I think Dan would've noticed this and said something like, "Hey, someone's coming up my driveway" or "Hey, someone's running up my driveway" or "Why is that guy coming toward my car?" Furthermore, I think Dan would've ended the phone call if he noticed someone coming up this driveway and into his garage. Right? But he didn't--in fact, he was on his phone when he was shot. So, he mentions seeing someone in his driveway, probably surprising him . . . but he stays on his phone? There's something about that that doesn't seem logical to me.

As much as it makes sense to some of you that you don't think Dan would've opened his garage door with someone in his driveway, I think it makes a lot of sense that there's no way he stays on his phone in his garage if he suddenly sees someone in his driveway.

I'd also add that the last thing you're doing when pulling into your garage is looking in your mirrors--you're looking straight ahead to make sure you don't hit anything. But the only way Dan could've seen anyone in his driveway was to look in his mirrors. Remember: He was shot in his jaw--meaning his head was straight forward when the bullet hit it. So, another question: If he sees someone in his driveway, and that person is moving toward his car, why doesn't Dan turn his head to greet the person when the person gets to the side of his car? If Dan turned his head toward the killer, he would've been shot in the chin or face--not the jaw.

Also, Dan's window was up--hence it being shattered. If he sees somebody coming up his driveway while he's sitting in his car, doesn't he roll the window down?

All the above is why I still believe Dan saw the person in his driveway before he ever got close to parking in his garage. He saw somebody in his driveway. He passed the person and parked his car. Dan, probably expecting to finish his call first then see what the person wants, is on his phone, not seeing the killer come into the garage. The killer gets to the driver's side door, points the gun, and murders Dan before Dan even realizes anyone is standing beside the car.

I will state this for about the 30th time: If we knew the time span between Dan's statement and the gun shot, this could all be cleared up.

Fasteddy.....I totally agree......maybe this person standing in the driveway looked innocuous & was closer to the curb/street part of the driveway. So DM comments on it cause it's a little odd but maybe just someone who's going to continue walking by & then-----this perp actually does the opposite. He rushes DM's car. DM probably wasn't keeping an eye on him in the rear view mirror; or worse, the perp could've progressed towards him by crouching a bit right up behind the car.

IMO.... A professional-style hit.

To me it speaks of someone not in fear for his life. Not worried who this person is. Who is EXPECTING to be gunned down??? Not many of us, that's for sure.

The point I've made about this scenario is Dan's driveway isn't that wide. If that Prius was parked in it, there would be no way for Dan to pull around it to get into his garage.

There was a news story I posted waaaaay upthread that had a picture of his driveway. There is a bumpout in the driveway that could fit another car. While I share your opinion that the Prius was not in the driveway, it is possible that it was based on the picture I saw.

This 1991 murder of a very accomplished professor is interesting, imo.
Initially disgruntled students, or colleagues were suspected, but ultimately, he was targeted because of his politics..
Lengthy article.

http://linguafranca.mirror.theinfo.org/9209/culianu.html

"The Killing Of Professor Culianu
By Ted Anton
"

<snipped quoted text for brevity>

Thanks! That was a fascinating article. The author has since published a book about the case which I hope I can find at the library.

Thanks! That was a fascinating article. The author has since published a book about the case which I hope I can find at the library.

Thankyou, thought I might have gone too far..!

http://www.amazon.com/Eros-Magic-Mu...8XI_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415392944&sr=1-2

rbbm.

Eros, Magic, and the Murder of Professor Culianu Hardcover &#8211; October 14, 1996

"Winner of 1997 Carl Sandburg Award

On May 21, 1991, University of Chicago professor Ioan Culianu was murdered execution-style on campus. The crime stunned the school, terrified students, and mystified the FBI. The case remains unsolved. In Eros, Magic, and the Murder of Professor Culianu, award-winning investigative reporter Ted Anton shows that the murder is what Culianu's friends suspected all along: the first political assassination of a professor on American soil"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow