GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwome...ear-glasses-actually-aresmarter.html?page=all

Nicely said, ita!
rbbm.
https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwome...ear-glasses-actually-aresmarter.html?page=all
"A 2013 University of Vienna study showed that stereotypes about glasses may lead juries to draw conclusions about the personality traits of people wearing them, and that wearing glasses in court makes defendants appear not only more intelligent but more trustworthy, successful and likable. The study found that people wearing full-rim glasses got higher intelligence ratings, but those wearing rimless glasses were deemed more trustworthy and attractive.

Glasses were equated with intelligence as far back as the 17th century, per Business Insider, because they were only worn by skilled craftsmen and scholars who needed them for finely-detailed work."

Glasses- I call it the "Jodi Arias affect".

South Florida gets plenty of mention during opening statements of Daniel Markel murder trial rbbm.
"So Wendi's brother, Charlie Adelson, has made references to hiring a hit man to kill Dan Markel," Cappleman told the jury. "And now hit men have murdered Dan Markel."

Cappleman said Rivera agreed to a plea deal with the state in exchange for a 19-year prison sentence to run concurrent with an unrelated federal charge.

"Rivera will tell you he was hired by his lifelong friend, Sigfredo Garcia, who was hired by his longtime girlfriend and children's mother, Katherine Magbanua, a.k.a. Katie, to come to Tallahassee and to kill Dan Markel," Cappleman said.

Cappleman spoke about Rivera's on-again, off-again relationship with Magbanua, who was seeing Charlie Adelson at one point.

"Charlie Adelson had a sister in Tallahassee, Wendi Adelson, and Wendi Adelson had a problem," Cappleman said. "And her problem was named Dan Markel. And the solution to that problem was Magbanua, Rivera and Garcia."

"Miami defense attorney Sam Zangeneh, who is representing Garcia in the trial, told the jury during his opening statements that prosecutors gave Rivera the "deal of the century."
"It's clear from the government's opening statement that their focus of this case is on the Adelsons," Zangeneh said. "Donna Adelson. Charlie Adelson. Wendi Adelson. That's who their real targets are."

"The government has hitched their wagon to Luis Rivera," Zangeneh said."

Snipped by me to focus

Garcia's attorney admitted that Garcia and Rivera traveled to Tallahassee together (at least on the second trip, when DM was killed) -- but said the purpose of their trip was to do drug deals, not kill anyone. But that theory seems at least somewhat in tension with his blaming Rivera for the murder. Is Garcia's position that Rivera told him they were going to Tallahassee to do drug deals, but that Rivera instead was secretly planning to kill DM all along, but never told Garcia? And what was Garcia doing while the murder was happening (and before, when they were following DM around town)? Just hanging out innocently in the car while Rivera got out and shot DM? He really expects the jury to believe that Garcia had no prior knowledge of the murder at all? And how is Garcia going to argue that the trip was really about drug-dealing unless he testifies to that himself?...

I could be wrong but I think Garcia's attorney is claiming that Garcia was not present or in the car when the murder happened. Where he was -- that wasn't explained. I thought the attorney was saying that Rivera arranged for a fellow gang member who lived near Tallahassee to help with the murder. His theory seemed to be that as a leader in the gang, Rivera would have no problem recruiting someone from Tallahassee to help and that it would be more logical to hire a fellow gang member to help with the murder than to hire Garcia. I guess the theory is that Garcia only went along for the drug part. It does seem that Garcia may need to testify to get those facts in, although maybe some of the drug stuff can be brought in by cross-examining Rivera. Very messy lives in this case. JMO

Snipped by me to focus

I could be wrong but I think Garcia's attorney is claiming that Garcia was not present or in the car when the murder happened. Where he was -- that wasn't explained. I thought the attorney was saying that Rivera arranged for a fellow gang member who lived near Tallahassee to help with the murder. His theory seemed to be that as a leader in the gang, Rivera would have no problem recruiting someone from Tallahassee to help and that it would be more logical to hire a fellow gang member to help with the murder than to hire Garcia. I guess the theory is that Garcia only went along for the drug part. It does seem that Garcia may need to testify to get those facts in, although maybe some of the drug stuff can be brought in by cross-examining Rivera. Very messy lives in this case. JMO

That is exactly how I understood it also.

Law & crime has not started their livestream although court is supposed to start in 2 minutes. Tallahassee Democrat hasn't started their live stream yet either. Is there another one I'm not aware of?

ETA, Law and crime up at 8.45. Talking about angle and height of shooting testimony

Last edited:
Am I understanding correctly that Court will be dark on Monday? Is there a holiday that I'm not aware of or was there just a conflict of somebody.

Karl Etters
@KarlEtters
3m
ASA Cappleman said Luis Rivera could take the stand today too. Or possibly Tuesday. Could be a super newsy Friday from the courtroom

giphy.gif

I have an exH I don't particularly care for, and we had a lot of fights about child support (but not custody). If someone murdered him in cold blood, I would talk to the investigators more than once, and would not hang up on them if they wanted to talk to me a second time. Good grief! Why would WA do that?!?! (Pretty damn sure my mom would agree to talk to them as well!)

I have an exH I don't particularly care for, and we had a lot of fights about child support (but not custody). If someone murdered him in cold blood, I would talk to the investigators more than once, and would not hang up on them if they wanted to talk to me a second time. Good grief! Why would WA do that?!?! (Pretty damn sure my mom would agree to talk to them as well!)

giphy (9).gif

Dan Markel case: Wendi Adelson expected to take stand as second day of murder trial dawns
Dan Markel’s ex-wife Wendi Adelson is expected to testify this morning in the trial of two people accused of his murder, but it is not likely she will be questioned about the State Attorney Office’s theory that her family paid to have him killed.

During the first day of trial Thursday, Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman introduced the idea to jurors that although Wendi Adelson’s brother and mother are not facing charges, they propositioned and paid the two people seated at the defense table.

“Katherine Magbanua was hired to solicit (Sigfredo) Garcia to in turn solicited (Luis) Rivera to come to Tallahassee and execute Mr. Markel in cold blood,” she said during her opening statement.

CA could have gotten cash and given it to whoever is representing KM. For some reason she looks like she thinks she's being taken care of. Am I wrong? If so, I apologize, big time.

WTXL ABC 27‏Verified account @abc27 2h2 hours ago
MARKEL TRIAL UPDATE: Just minutes away from Day 2 of the Dan Markel Murder Trial. Once today is finished, it will pick back up next Tuesday rather than Monday due to Rosh Hashanah. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 2h2 hours ago
ASA Cappleman said Luis Rivera could take the stand today too. Or possibly Tuesday. Could be a super newsy Friday from the courtroom

Magbanua's attorneys say that listing Rivera's attorneys as witnesses after a jury has been seated is "trial by ambush." They are clearly not happy with Hankinson's decision to allow a deposition of Chuck and David Collins on Monday

I've heard the "trial by ambush line" from defense attorneys for years. I think the last time was during felony proceedings against frat members accused of hazing Andrew Coffey

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 2h2 hours ago
The jury isn’t in the court room yet, but the attorneys are already going at it. They’re discussing one of the witnesses called yesterday. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Remember when Yao said that based on the trajectory of the bullet wound, it seemed like the shooter was tall? That’s not sitting well with Garcia’s attorney. Garcia is about 6 feet. Luis Rivera is 5’4. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

TPD forensic supervisor Shawn Yao said the evidence, bullet trajectory, indicates a taller suspect, which goes against Garcia's attorney's theory that Rivera was the shooter

Garcia's attorney Saam Zangeneh in discussions before the jury walked in "The trajectory is a huge issue in this case."

This of course was an opinion of Yao’s from his years of study. Garcia’s attorney says the speculative nature of the comment should be inadmissible. Judge Hankinson overruled the objection. #markelmurdertrialwtxl @abc27

Magbanua's attorney Chris DeCoste asked if Yao was 100% positive. "Do you have doubts?"
Yao: "In this case there are missing points and we're using assumptions."

“At 8:27 this morning, the state attorneys office listed his Rivera’s attorneys as witnesses.”- Christopher DeCoste, one of Katherine Magbanua’s attorneys. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

The state says that because the defense opened saying that the attorneys spoon fed Rivera information for the state, that opened the door to allow those witnesses to be called. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

The state would like to call those attorneys after cross examination for Rivera. We’ll either hear from Rivera at the end of the day or early on Tuesday. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Rivera won’t be taking the stand today. The defense will do a deposition with Rivera’s attorney most likely Monday. There’s still a chance that we’ll see Rivera take the stand Tuesday. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

MARKEL TRIAL UPDATE: Before the jury entered the courtroom, attorneys for Magbanua and Garcia were expressing multiple issues with the State Attorney's office. Jury is set to enter the courtroom in a few minutes. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Wendi Adelson is in court today. Her attorney, John Lauro. is also in court today. He says if time permits, Wendi will be taking the stand today. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

MARKEL TRIAL UPDATE: Back to the witness stand is Michael Shawn Yao, TPD forensic supervisor. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 2h2 hours ago
Forensics expert from TPD now on the stand, saying the shots that killed Dan Markel “more consistent with a taller shooter” than a shorter one given downward path of bullet. Garcia’s attorney objects. Overruled. @WCTV

Yao is back on the stand today. He's continuing to talk about his work with bullet path documentation. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Yao says the evidence is more consistent with the 6'1 person (Garcia) firing the gun as opposed to the 5'4 person (Rivera). #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

MARKEL TRIAL UPDATE: Yao stands by his evidence that the shooter is taller than 5'4. Garcia's attorney now asks his questions. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

They're discussing gangster style shooting. You've probably seen it-- wrist twisted so that the gun is turned at a 90 degree angle. Yao says Markel was likely shot gangster style. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Yao says based on the hole in the bullet hole, he can tell that the shooter was close to the driver side door-- not closer to the hood or the trunk. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Zangeneh asked Yao to stand up and demonstrate shooting stances. Yao was clearly confused/ not expecting that. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Yao says he's not 100% positive that a taller person fired the gun. It's just that under his analysis and through his expertise, it's consistent with what he knows. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

The state is now calling Craig Isom to the stand. He was a violent crimes investigator at TPD and he was assigned to be lead investigator in the Markel Murder investigation. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Lead investigator on stand, interviewed Wendi Adelson on day of the murder, and reviewed divorce filings totaling more than 500 pages @WCTV

Isom first interviewed Wedni Adelson and said he took an immediate interest in her family

The first person Isom interviewed was Markel's ex-wife Wendi Adelson. This happened a few hours after Markel was shot. @abc27

He reviewed 575 pages of divorce filings and found contention among she and Markel but also with his mother in law Donna Adelson

575 pages in the divorce file for Dan Markel and Wendi Adelson. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

The investigator said he found a lot of contention between the pair. Filings continued after the divorce was settled. There were money issues between the two. Then in March of 2014 Markel filed a motion concerning inappropriate action by Wendi's mom. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

The kids told Markel that their maternal grandmother was saying bad things about him. He filed a motion to keep her from having unsupervised contact with the kids. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

The investigator said he also found emails between Wendi and her mother. He says Donna Adelson suggested threatening Dan with the children going to a Catholic church despite being Jewish. She also suggested a bribe of a million dollars. @abc27 #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 1h1 hour ago
Lead investigator says emails from Wendi Adelson’s mother suggested a one million dollar bribe - paid to Dan Markel - and split three ways to move kids to South Florida @WCTV

He also reviewed bitter emials between Wendi and Donna

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 1h1 hour ago
The investigator said there was a $2mil life insurance policy out on Dan Markel. The defense objected to that. Judge Hankinson sustained the objection. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Lead investigator testifies that Dan Markel had a $2 million dollar life insurance policy, defense moves to strike @WCTV

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 1h1 hour ago
"The emails from her mother were strong suggestions if not demands of what she should do to facilitate her and her children moving back to S Florida"

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 1h1 hour ago
The lead investigator said he attempted to talk to Wendi Adelson the Monday after Markel's memorial service. She hung up on him and he never contacted her again. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 1h1 hour ago
Lead investigator says he attended memorial service and asked Wendi Adelson’s parents to come to TPD for an interview, but they did not. And he said when he tried to ask Wendi for a follow up interview she hung up on him @WCTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishbl