GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
we've discussed this before - the multiple private defense attorneys for SG and KM are probably ~$100,000 per defendant. who would have the means and incentive to fund BOTH of their legal defenses? the finger maybe points to the alleged masterminds - but then how did they conceal it from the judge? such a big mystery.

I'll do that! It's aggravating me that after following this for 5 years, right now I'm in the 7th circle of hell with internet equivalent to a 56k modem and no ability to watch the trial. I'm moving on tomorrow so perhaps next week will be better.

~E

When you have time, watch the recordings. Please, listen carefully. Zangeneh and the Kawass sisters are axing questions instead of asking questions!

The State, Garcia and Magbanua appear to agree on one point -- an intense dislike of Charlie and Wendi. Lacasse's testimony about Wendi was pretty devastating. None of the parties really challenged anything Lacasse said. So far Rivera's testimony is holding up. I've seen no evidence that supports Garcia's claim that Rivera was Charlie's drug supplier. The defense seems to be drowning. JMO.

Last edited:
I'll do that! It's aggravating me that after following this for 5 years, right now I'm in the 7th circle of hell with internet equivalent to a 56k modem and no ability to watch the trial. I'm moving on tomorrow so perhaps next week will be better.

~E

I feel for you. 2 years ago I had satellite internet and it was a nightmare. We lived in the mountains. Very limited and couldn't watch Ytubes or watch trials streaming...:( ("Fair Access Policy"- BAH...)

We moved. Now we have cable and can watch anything, for as long as we want...:D

That's why I like to post the reporters Tweets- for the poor unfortunate souls that can't access the trials that are being streamed.

Last edited:
we've discussed this before - the multiple private defense attorneys for SG and KM are probably ~$100,000 per defendant. who would have the means and incentive to fund BOTH of their legal defenses? the finger maybe points to the alleged masterminds - but then how did they conceal it from the judge? such a big mystery.

Embarrassed to ask but I'm going for it anyway :oops:.... Is it required and/or general knowledge for the judge or anyone else to know who is paying legal fees for defendants?

If so... Can this be used against the defendants? TIA!

Please don't throw shoes or tomatoes at me for asking! Well, wait... If the shoes are unworn and size 7 and glam... I might like em! :D

Embarrassed to ask but I'm going for it anyway :oops:.... Is it required and/or general knowledge for the judge or anyone else to know who is paying legal fees for defendants?

If so... Can this be used against the defendants? TIA!

Please don't throw shoes or tomatoes at me for asking! Well, wait... If the shoes are unworn and size 7 and glam... I might like em! :D

Judge: Florida woman may keep mum on who's paying legal fees

The Dan Markel Case: A Helping Hand For Katherine Magbanua — From A Relative Accused Of Embezzlement?

The State, Garcia and Magbanua appear to agree one one point -- an intense dislike of Charlie and Wendi. Lacasse's testimony about Wendi was pretty devastating. None of the parties really challenged anything Lacasse said. So far Rivera's testimony is holding up. I've seen no evidence that supports Garcia's claim that Rivera was Charlie's drug supplier. The defense seems to be drowning. JMO.

I agree. And the whole very long questioning about the Latin Kings was perplexing. I mean, I learned a lot, but it has nothing to do with this case. This was not a gang hit just because he is in a gang. It was separate from that, so why go on and on and on? We already know Luis is not a boy scout.

Speaking of that, though, several times today I found myself looking at him on the stand and feeling so sad for him, wondering what his life could have been if he hadn't been born into the Latin Kings. Would he have learned to read and write? Gone to college? What could he have become? It's sad :(.

I agree. And the whole very long questioning about the Latin Kings was perplexing. I mean, I learned a lot, but it has nothing to do with this case. This was not a gang hit just because he is in a gang. It was separate from that, so why go on and on and on? We already know Luis is not a boy scout.

Speaking of that, though, several times today I found myself looking at him on the stand and feeling so sad for him, wondering what his life could have been if he hadn't been born into the Latin Kings. Would he have learned to read and write? Gone to college? What could he have become? It's sad :(.
Trying to claim that Rivera is the hardened criminal gang member who was hired to do the killing. Per Garcia's claims in the opening, Rivera hired a Latin King member in Tallahassee to help do the killing... but Garcia's attorney really got nowhere on it I thought. Rivera seemed credible saying that he doesn't know any gang members in Tally and had never been there before. It just went nowhere. Agree, a sad situation for Rivera. Also felt sad for Garcia (drinking/drugs). JMO.

But did he go against another member of the Latin Kings? Is Garcia a member of the Latin Kings also?

Rivera kept saying again and again this case has nothing to do with the Latin Kings.

Perhaps he considers, in his mind, that working with (now against) Garcia is something that wasn't associated with the gang, therefore he did not/does not have to follow gang rules?

As many things are in this case, the answer is tangential perhaps to the case, but it still is of interest to me as a WSer

Last edited:

I felt/thought the same. So, glad you posted this. Very sad.

Trying to claim that Rivera is the hardened criminal gang member who was hired to do the killing. Per Garcia's claims in the opening, Rivera hired a Latin King member in Tallahassee to help do the killing... but Garcia's attorney really got nowhere on it I thought. Rivera seemed credible saying that he doesn't know any gang members in Tally and had never been there before. It just went nowhere. Agree, a sad situation for Rivera. Also felt sad for Garcia (drinking/drugs). JMO.

BBM

OK, I missed that.....thanks. I guess that's where that was going then. Ineffective. I guess at this point Garcia's team is just trying to spare him the death penalty. There will clearly be a conviction. Honestly, I won't be mad if he doesn't get the death penalty as long as the Adelsons face consequences.

Friend of Danny's from Toronto here and I want to thank you all for recapping the trial and your insightful comments.
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I follow it because Dan is a “member of the tribe” and I want to see justice for him, his family and friends. My nephew was murdered 3 years ago and to date, no suspects. So I know grief, frustration and the sorrow firsthand.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I follow it because Dan is a “member of the tribe” and I want to see justice for him, his family and friends. My nephew was murdered 3 years ago and to date, no suspects. So I know grief, frustration and the sorrow firsthand.

So sorry to hear that about your nephew :(.

Friend of Danny's from Toronto here and I want to thank you all for recapping the trial and your insightful comments.

My heart goes out to you and all of those who knew and loved him.

G-d is not finished yet, and hopefully the prosecutors in Florida are not finished yet either with all of the individuals to be prosecuted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191001-222717_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191001-222717_Gallery.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 19a78499-5471-47af-ae14-f178a9a7d346-Markel_Trial_100119_TS_738.jpeg
    19a78499-5471-47af-ae14-f178a9a7d346-Markel_Trial_100119_TS_738.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online