GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Penalty Phase - Defense Closing Argument

Oct 15, 2019

---

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Penalty Phase - Jury Instructions & Charge

Oct 15, 2019

---

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Penalty Phase - Verdict

Oct 15, 2019

Might be hard to give the death penalty to SG when the main culprits, those that paid for the murder and wanted it done in the first place, have not even been charged.

There's no question this played a role in their decision-making. It def would if I were a juror on this case. There's no way I'm handing down the DP when the Adelsons are out there living their lives Scot free. No way!

From what I've seen it's pretty unusual for a judge so sentence consecutively. Do anyone think his preference was the DP?
I think his preference was death. It met the aggravating factors by law. I don't think the mitigating factors outweighed them at all.

I also think he was baffled by the hung jury for KM. He specifically addressed the jury stating the state was not seeking Death for KM. I could be projecting my own feelings on both though.

I was also surprised to read that FLA only needs 10 out 12 for death penalty. It does not have to be unanimous. I am not sure if this is common in all states.

Do you think KM's attorneys are going to dump her at case conference on the 22nd? I know they commented about having other cases they needed to work on.

I'm pretty sure it will depend upon the spendolas. There are signs that the money train has slowed and they aren't going to want to continue if they can't be sure they'll be paid.

Do you think KM's attorneys are going to dump her at case conference on the 22nd? I know they commented about having other cases they needed to work on.

IMO DeCoste and Kawass will continue as long as they keep getting paid. And they will keep getting paid because their paymaster has no other choice but to keep paying. However, if KM finally has a "come to Jesus" awakening and decides to flip, both the money and these attorneys will be gone in an instant.

Last edited:
Did

CA pay for the left one or the right one..? Asking for a friend.

Maybe only" Dr Boobner" knows for sure.
Prosecutors seek breast augmentation records in Markel murder case
"Magbanua dated the ex-wife's brother, Charles Adelson, and is the ex-girlfriend of Sigfredo Garcia. Garcia is one of two men charged in Markel's murder.

Prosecutors told the judge Friday they believe Charles Adelson paid for Magbanua to get a breast augmentation in October 2014. That's about three months after Markel's murder.

They told the judge a witness claims Adelson paid half the cost of the $6000- $7000 procedure.

"If Charlie Adelson paid for it, that would be very significant in a homicide investigation where there's a conspiracy between him and Miss Magbanua," prosecutor Anna Norris argued.

Magbanua's attorneys were trying to stop the state from serving a subpoena on Dr. Leonard Roudner, the South Florida plastic surgeon who performed the surgery. His own web site lists his nickname as "Dr. Boobner."

"What they are doing is they're speculating based on what their theory is and they're engaging in a fishing expedition," Magbanua's attorney Tara Kawass told the judge Friday.

The judge ultimately ruled the state could not access Magbanua's medical records except records showing the dates of the breast augmentation surgery, who paid for it and how."

IMO DeCoste and Kawass will continue as long as they keep getting paid. And they will keep getting paid because their paymaster has no other choice but to keep paying. However, if KM finally has a "come to Jesus" awakening and decides to flip, both the money and these attorneys will be gone in an instant.

I'm concerned that KM will remain stubborn (particularly if it turns out that the jury was more evenly split than we thought) and her attorneys end up no longer representing her. If that's the case, her new counsel will likely argue they will need months if not a year to prep for a new trial. If the state remains conservative, that could mean we're still years away from the Adelsons facing justice - even assuming they can secure a conviction for KM in the next round.

The main mitigating factor the defense argued was SG's pliability to KM's extreme requests, due to his psychological frailty and KM's domination.
If the jury bought that as a mitigating factor, then they have to believe that KM was involved.
Therefore, jurors that had doubt about KM's involvement should have been more prone to vote DP.
Somehow, I doubt that.

Agreed with @kooshx 's last comment!

That's why I want to know how the jury voted on her verdict. I think if it's evenly split or majority not guilty, which I think is likely given that this jury has been crying at each verdict reading (WTF??), then KM will roll the dice I think. She's held out this long. If she thinks she may get acquitted or keep getting hung juries she'll stick it out, I think. If the vote was close to guilty verdict and just 1 or 2 hold outs, then she'll have to seriously consider cooperating at this point.

Of course this is all speculation. We'll just have to wait until next week to find out! But the wait will kill me before then I'm sure of it. :(

CA is not only paying for their lawyering, he is also paying for their travel and accomodation expenses. Lots of $$$$$$

That's why I want to know how the jury voted on her verdict. I think if it's evenly split or majority not guilty, which I think is likely given that this jury has been crying at each verdict reading (WTF??), then KM will roll the dice I think. She's held out this long. If she thinks she may get acquitted or keep getting hung juries she'll stick it out, I think. If the vote was close to guilty verdict and just 1 or 2 hold outs, then she'll have to seriously consider cooperating at this point.

Of course this is all speculation. We'll just have to wait until next week to find out! But the wait will kill me before then I'm sure of it. :(
If her attorneys who I think are paid for by CA tell her to not cooperate, then what?

I think it's possible the tears were out of frustration because of the one holdout juror (if that's true).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Klints tabitha