GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentour Lawyer offered some good "leading questions that require elimination" that GC should have asked KM on the cross -

1. Isn't it true that you called Garcia and you told Rivera to remove the owl from the Facebook?
2. Isn't it true that right after the murder that you got a phone call from Garcia and he told you "It's done" and you said "I know"?

I love GC and I think overall she did a good job. Hindsight is 20/20. However, I don't think GC grilled KM hard enough, or the right way (yes/no questions), or long enough. Perhaps GC was not prepared for the possibility that KM would testify? If true, that was a terrible mistake. Regardless, I think GC will learn from this experience and we will see a different scenario at the next trial.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I couldn’t listen to it all as it just upsets me how they saw the evidence. It’s very interesting for sure. Obviously this is this juror’s opinion but it sounds like she wasn’t alone in her thought process.
Am amazed really that the jury believed KM’s act. Act IMO.
Really hope GC is listening for the retrial!

It's hard to believe more than one person wouldn't convict, I hope not too many of them believed KM's story. She also mentioned there being heated discussion on the honesty of Rivera's testimony that sounded like the jury was split. I'm leaning toward him being the actual shooter and it seems some of the jurors might have been too. But, when it comes down to it all the players are guilty of murder in one form or another.

I have to admit that I couldn’t listen to it all as it just upsets me how they saw the evidence. It’s very interesting for sure. Obviously this is this juror’s opinion but it sounds like she wasn’t alone in her thought process.
Am amazed really that the jury believed KM’s act. Act IMO.
Really hope GC is listening for the retrial!
Yes, I wonder if GC was able to interview this juror or any of the others.

I was on a hung jury in Texas and the judge, defense and prosecuting team came to talk to us in the deliberation room before we left.

Mentour Lawyer offered some good "leading questions that require elimination" that GC should have asked KM on the cross -

1. Isn't it true that you called Garcia and you told Rivera to remove the owl from the Facebook?
2. Isn't it true that that right after the murder that you got a phone call from Garcia and he told you "It's done" and you said, "I know"?

I love GC and I think overall she did a good job. Hindsight is 20/20. However, I don't think GC grilled KM hard enough, or the right way (yes/no questions), or long enough. Perhaps GC was not prepared for the possibility that KM would testify? If true, that was a terrible mistake. Regardless, I think GC will learn from this experience and we will see a different scenario next trial.
Absolutely agree!
I think GC did great and everyone has a different approach but... the one thing I think she could have done differently is go after KM a lot more. I think KM would have started to get defensive and angry and the jury would have seen a different side to her. That being said I think GC did think the jury could see who she was but apparently they couldn’t.
In my 20’s I do feel that I didn’t have the life experience to understand yet the level of manipulation that people have and could have taken KM at face value more.
JMO

Absolutely agree!
I think GC did great and everyone has a different approach but... the one thing I think she could have done differently is go after KM a lot more. I think KM would have started to get defensive and angry and the jury would have seen a different side to her. That being said I think GC did think the jury could see who she was but apparently they couldn’t.
In my 20’s I do feel that I didn’t have the life experience to understand yet the level of manipulation that people have and could have taken KM at face value more.
JMO

If they don't believe KM was the middle woman then how on earth do they think this conspiracy got set up?

If they don't believe KM was the middle woman then how on earth do they think this conspiracy got set up?
Exactly. Lol. I would like to hear more from the jury. To us it makes no sense but maybe to them, they thought LR and SG got sent there directly from the Adelson’s somehow. I don’t know. IMO there was enough evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to convict KM. So frustrating!

Exactly. Lol. I would like to hear more from the jury. To us it makes no sense but maybe to them, they thought LR and SG got sent there directly from the Adelson’s somehow. I don’t know. IMO there was enough evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to convict KM. So frustrating!

At this point, without hearing part 4, I'm getting the impression that those who voted NG for Katie did so mostly because "its not fair! The Adelsons are walking free!" Maybe if the Adelsons had already been convicted they would have felt differently for this poor little mommy.

At this point, without hearing part 4, I'm getting the impression that those who voted NG for Katie did so mostly because "its not fair! The Adelsons are walking free!" Maybe if the Adelsons had already been convicted they would have felt differently for this poor little mommy.
True!
It must have been confusing to the jury to have the Adelson’s not even having been charged.
It’s reassuring at least that they saw right through Wendi. More reassuring if she was actually facing charges now but still reassuring!!

Absolutely agree!
JMO

2. Isn't it true that right after the murder that you got a phone call from Garcia and he told you "It's done" and you said "I know"?

I love GC and I think overall she did a good job. Hindsight is 20/20. However, I don't think GC grilled KM hard enough, or the right way (yes/no questions), or long enough. Perhaps GC was not prepared for the possibility that KM would testify? If true, that was a terrible mistake. Regardless, I think GC will learn from this experience and we will see a different scenario at the next trial.

I agree with both. In some ways I wasn't surprised she didn't go after KM harder or longer. I wondered at the time if she held back because of wanting to preserve some testimony to be able to use KM against CA, DA or WA. We all know using KM against the Adelsons will be a harder road now that she's testified. But maybe GC thought they had done enough to make people see that she is involved that she didn't want to burn her completely as a future witness or take the risk of people sympothizing with her with a big scary prosecutor going after the poor mom. My guess is if KM takes the stand in a new trial (which I think she will probably gamble on since it seems like that is probably what saved her with at least one juror) GC will go after her for much longer and try harder to rattle her and make her contradict her own answers.

I agree with both. In some ways I wasn't surprised she didn't go after KM harder or longer. I wondered at the time if she held back because of wanting to preserve some testimony to be able to use KM against CA, DA or WA. We all know using KM against the Adelsons will be a harder road now that she's testified. But maybe GC thought they had done enough to make people see that she is involved that she didn't want to burn her completely as a future witness or take the risk of people sympothizing with her with a big scary prosecutor going after the poor mom. My guess is if KM takes the stand in a new trial (which I think she will probably gamble on since it seems like that is probably what saved her with at least one juror) GC will go after her for much longer and try harder to rattle her and make her contradict her own answers.
I think that’s a great theory as to why she didn’t. This is such a complicated case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salty7