GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I am not a body language expert but I have taken few psychology courses at the graduate level.

There were many tells at the side bench of the defendant throughout the trial. The heavy eye contacts, pursed lips (I am nervous; I don’t intend to insult you but you … made a mistake); rolled eyes and grimaces; and hesitations of DeCoste as if seeking approval for some trivial things such as “yes your honor … (we want you to poll the jury)” are many indications of disagreements among the 3 defense attorneys.

DeCoste’s statements and behavior after the trial seem to say “it is not my fault! I am a good attorney.”

2. Please, notice that the State of Florida named 3 Adelson family members as co-conspirators to the murder of DM in the court papers of KM (see picture of Wendi and friend). This is an important factor with consequences on both KM’s sentencing and CA’s way forward in court.

DeCoste’s choice of words in the Tallahassee Democrat is to be contrasted with the open tears of rage of the two Kawass crocodiles. DeCoste displays a forward looking posture.

It is my “educated suspicion” that we will see dramatic changes within the next 4 to 5 weeks.

Now that Charles Adelson is indicted by a Grand Jury, which of the Adelson’s could be next? In the transcript of the Dulce Restaurant audio, in page 3, Charles Adelson says:

“Listen, if that's what it was, it's very mart, because that means my mom hasn't told my dad anything.
My mom knows my dad is gonna flip out when he finds out. But my mom hasn't told my dad anything.”

This audio transcript seems to say that: 1) Donna Adelson knew about the plot to murder Dan Markel; and 2) Harvey Adelson was oblivious of the alleged misdeeds of his nefarious family members.

Do you all think that Harvey Adelson is off the hook? (See alleged murder plot schema attached).

Hence, Donna Adelson seems to be next in line. It is my hope that the State of Florida will take the alleged co-conspirators of Dan Markel’s murder one at a time. At this time, there is no rush. Murder does not have statute of limitation in Florida. There is no need to face multiple power defense attorneys at once. Please dear State Attorneys, do not let the Adelsons bundle their cases!

Attachments

• the alleged plot to murder.png
    the alleged plot to murder.png
    843 KB · Views: 57
Now that Charles Adelson is indicted by a Grand Jury, which of the Adelson’s could be next? In the transcript of the Dulce Restaurant audio, in page 3, Charles Adelson says:

“Listen, if that's what it was, it's very mart, because that means my mom hasn't told my dad anything.
My mom knows my dad is gonna flip out when he finds out. But my mom hasn't told my dad anything.”

This audio transcript seems to say that: 1) Donna Adelson knew about the plot to murder Dan Markel; and 2) Harvey Adelson was oblivious of the alleged misdeeds of his nefarious family members.

Do you all think that Harvey Adelson is off the hook? (See alleged murder plot schema attached).

Hence, Donna Adelson seems to be next in line. It is my hope that the State of Florida will take the alleged co-conspirators of Dan Markel’s murder one at a time. At this time, there is no rush. Murder does not have statute of limitation in Florida. There is no need to face multiple power defense attorneys at once. Please dear State Attorneys, do not let the Adelsons bundle their cases!
I have mixed thoughts on this. It might mean that Harvey does not know about "the bump." In other words, they don't want Harvey to know that there is someone trying to blackmail them, hence meaning the murder is being discussed amongst people outside the plot. They wanted to clean this up without Harvey knowing. I used to think neither Wendi or Harvey were in on it. But I no longer think that. Wendi knows or knew. And I think the nature of this family means Harvey knew or condoned it as well.

Or, this statement could mean Harvey has been left out of the entire thing. Has no knowledge of the crime at all. This is what will make including Harvey in any of this difficult.

I LOVE the alleged murder plot schema! Especially the little icons and details for each individual. ... The more I study it, the more I smile. ... Gotta add the CONVICTED status to KM, thought!

I personally doubt that Harvey had any foreknowledge, based on Donna's statements and behavior. I would be very interested to know what his reaction was when he did find out (assuming he didn't know). The stench that quickly became attached to his "institute" once the probable cause statements were released must have been hard for him to accept.

I hadn't been aware that Harvey settled a dental malpractice claim against him in 2017 for $200,000. I suspect the past five years have been less than wonderful for old Harv.

Thanks for this. I appreciate hearing Jason's thoughts on the status of the case and, especially, his thinking that Charlie might be willing to implicate Wendi...
Regarding Charlie flipping on Wendi: Perhaps this is the reason that Charlie's original lawyer, David Markus, resigned from the case. I viewed Markus as the quarterback, but puppet master might be the better metaphor, orchestrating the litigation strategies for the various defendants. If Markus gave legal advice to Wendi and her lawyer, John Lauro, regarding her testimony during both trials, Markus can't act for Charlie in a plea deal that implicates Wendi. Doing so would put Markus in a conflict of interest.

When I weigh the likelihood of Charlie turning on his sister, two things come to mind:

1. In the wire tapped call with Donna, Charlie bemoans Wendi's lack of appreciation and says, "Wendi just doesn't get how lucky she is." Donna furtively whispers back, "She GETS it."
2. When June Umchinda was interviewed by the police, she says that Wendi would sometimes complain about how difficult it was to be a single mother (!!!!!). This would be really difficult for Charlie to stomach, I think.

That being said, I just can't see Charlie making a deal, unless things are REALLY intolerable in prison.

As for Harvey being complicit in this murder: If he didn't know before Dan was killed, he certainly knew after. His son Robert stopped talking to the Adelsons because they wouldn't discuss what happened.

If Charlie were to flip and try to implicate Wendi, what additional evidence does he have -- other than his word -- that Wendi was knowingly involved in the hit? Charlie would clearly have a motive to lie to lessen any sentence and a jury may believe that it was Donna, not Wendi, who was the instigator. JMO.

Last edited:
If Charlie were to flip and try to implicate Wendi, what additional evidence does he have -- other than his word -- that Wendi was knowingly involved in the hit? Charlie would clearly have a motive to lie to lessen any sentence and a jury could believe that it was Donna, not Wendi, who was the instigator. JMO.
Deleted WhatsApp messages, such as the one in which Wendi wrote, "It's done" after her drive-by of the murder scene (this is my suspicion). And given how paranoid Charlie appears to be from June's description of him, he likely kept other evidence as a safeguard. Finally, his testimony might be enough. Unlike Katie, who has perjured herself twice, Charlie has not made any statements to law enforcement. His testimony would likely be consistent with the evidence and the state's theory of the case, and having not perjured himself previously, it might actually be worth a lot.

Deleted WhatsApp messages, such as the one in which Wendi wrote, "It's done" after her drive-by of the murder scene (this is my suspicion). And given how paranoid Charlie appears to be from June's description of him, he likely kept other evidence as a safeguard. Finally, his testimony might be enough. Unlike Katie, who has perjured herself twice, Charlie has not made any statements to law enforcement. His testimony would likely be consistent with the evidence and the state's theory of the case, and having not perjured himself previously, it might actually be worth a lot.
Yes, wondering whether the suspected individuals started taping each other, just in case. JMO

Regarding Charlie flipping on Wendi: Perhaps this is the reason that Charlie's original lawyer, David Markus, resigned from the case. I viewed Markus as the quarterback, but puppet master might be the better metaphor, orchestrating the litigation strategies for the various defendants. If Markus gave legal advice to Wendi and her lawyer, John Lauro, regarding her testimony during both trials, Markus can't act for Charlie in a plea deal that implicates Wendi. Doing so would put Markus in a conflict of interest.

When I weigh the likelihood of Charlie turning on his sister, two things come to mind:

1. In the wire tapped call with Donna, Charlie bemoans Wendi's lack of appreciation and says, "Wendi just doesn't get how lucky she is." Donna furtively whispers back, "She GETS it."
2. When June Umchinda was interviewed by the police, she says that Wendi would sometimes complain about how difficult it was to be a single mother (!!!!!). This would be really difficult for Charlie to stomach, I think.

That being said, I just can't see Charlie making a deal, unless things are REALLY intolerable in prison.

As for Harvey being complicit in this murder: If he didn't know before Dan was killed, he certainly knew after. His son Robert stopped talking to the Adelsons because they wouldn't discuss what happened.

June Umchinda said that Wendi complained about being a single mother? That is really hideous. Revolting.

If Charlie were to flip and try to implicate Wendi, what additional evidence does he have -- other than his word -- that Wendi was knowingly involved in the hit? Charlie would clearly have a motive to lie to lessen any sentence and a jury may believe that it was Donna, not Wendi, who was the instigator. JMO.
Someone told SG that Dan Markel was leaving town , allegedly for NY on the afternoon of the 18th (This is from Rivera's proffer about 1:05:00 in ) .

(Cappleman says on the Saturday in the last trial , I'm not sure if she has more precise information based on a ticket booking or talking to Amy Adler).

The only plausible route for this information to SG is WA to CA to KM to SG. Who else in the plot is in Tallahassee ? There's also the fact that the hitmen went from their hotel straight to Premier Fitness on the 18th.
Now if Dan went to Premier on the 17th (establishing a pattern) , according to Rivera they were casing his house in the morning. It's not likely they were in bed at the (different) motel on the 17th before about 1.30 am so following Dan's morning routine before about 9:30 am earliest sounds impractical that morning of the 17th. Conclusion - Someone in Tallahassee passed on Dan's expected itinerary for that morning. That information would have to go through CJA I would have thought.

There is a faint possibility that WJA changed a lease to terminate at end of June of 16 ,expecting the first attempt to work. She would then have to change it back to terminate in say end of August. LE have been asked to look at this. There may be nothing there but it's worth a look . Wendi might be so flush with money she'd rather not take the chance on a lease change. What suggests otherwise is the provocative purchase of Bulliet Bourbon on the morning of killing - Wendi likes to ride along the edge of the razor. You are completely free to contact Georgia Cappleman or her boss Jack Campbell and suggest this be looked at.

This.
I agree. If Harvey didn’t know in 2014, he certainly knew in 2016 when the probable cause affidavits were released. So, he’s known since then that he is the Patriarch of a den of murdering vipers. Since, he seemingly has done nothing in response except fund lawyers to attempt to cover all this up. If that’s the case, he’s rotten to the core.

I've been on the fence re: Harvey until I heard the wiretap where Charlie is frantically trying to set up a meeting (maybe the Dolce Vita) with Katie and says he's "outside" talking with "his parents", about "his day". It's clear they are both involved at that point. It will be fascinating to watch the dynamics between this trio of sociopaths and their allegiances and who is decided will be sacrificed. I could almost see Donna sacrificing Wendi so she could have full access to her grandsons who she seems obsessed with.

(PS, kind of late to the discussion here, but I've been following this case obsessively)

These alleged co-conspirators to commit murder are strangers to me. But the underlying mechanics of what happened as described by the State Attorneys prevent me from being neutral and unbiased.

I imagine the Adelson grandmother of Dan Markel’s kids, along with the little precious sister Wendi, continually pestering about the issue in Tallahassee with dear Charlie! And, the wanna be tough guy Charles Adelson bragging about taking care of business, along with sex toy Magbanua, devising a diabolical plan.

It is my suspicion that Wendi Adelson evoked the “jokes of my brother” because she knew that others, such as Dr. Jeffery LaCase, were aware of these expression of desire to kill earlier on. That was a poor effort to deflect blame on … Jeffrey LaCase! The alleged co-conspirators Wendi and her mother Donna are the Onoskelis like creatures working as the driving forces towards Dan Markel’s demise. Wendi is really diabolical. She thinks ahead of the game! She will be a tough shell for the Attorneys of the State of Florida!

A strong indignation arises in my heart and lungs and mind every time I think of the “supposedly” though process of Charles Adelson and Katherine Magbanua when the plot to kill Dan Markel was born! The despicable behavior of these two, continuing to date, are obnoxious attempts at assuaging the moral indignation of any reasonable person! They do not deserve sympathy.

I imagine these two individuals, Charles Adelson and Katherine Magbanua, discussing about killing the nephews’ father Dan Markel in bed while having coitus. They are both equally despicable animals!

Here is a fictional potential conversation to that effect, as my attempt to levity. This fictional conversation is based on the narratives in Grand Jury indictment of CA and the court papers of KM:

Male: My sister wants her ex dead! My mom wants the Tallahassee issue to be fixed by all means necessary. I agree, I want him dead as well. His “know all” attitude in every conversation highlights my ignorance outside dentistry
Female: I need money! The bottle advertisement work does not pay much. Besides, the ugly owner does not give me enough shifts. My kids deserve more fancy stuff
M: Hiring hit men would not be as cheap as buying TV but I am willing to fork whatever it takes to fix my sister’s issue. Again, my mom and my sister want it fixed by all means necessary too!
F: Why don’t you give me some stapled grands for breast augmentation? You complain that my breast are small. I want them big too!
M: You said that your ex is a bad guy. I hate your ex because he scares the hell out of me. But if he fixes my sister’s issue with her “know all” ex, I give you and your ex more than enough stapled grands … for augmenting your breast and more
F: What I really want is a steady income until I get a good paying job. Everyone around me is rich and I am poor and irritated from envy
M: I will talk to my mom about giving you a paycheck from the institute. But you have to convince your ex to work for my family and me first. My sister’s issue is the number one priority now
F: I need also a good pristine working car. I don’t mind a used car but it has to have some class
M: Deal! You will get stapled money, breast implants, steady pay check until you get a good paying job, and a good running used car … but, again, you need to convince your ex to fix my family issue first. We are a tight family unit (see the schema from Fancy Fiction’s YouTube channel). What hurts my sister and my mom hurts me too
F: OK! Deal! Let us do more coitus now. Thinking about the stapled money, breast implants, steady pay check until you get a good paying job, and a good running used car wet my hunger.

The Picture below is from Fancy Fiction's YouTube Channel:

Attachments

• crime scene do not cross.png
    crime scene do not cross.png
    661 KB · Views: 10
This.
I agree. If Harvey didn’t know in 2014, he certainly knew in 2016 when the probable cause affidavits were released. So, he’s known since then that he is the Patriarch of a den of murdering vipers. Since, he seemingly has done nothing in response except fund lawyers to attempt to cover all this up. If that’s the case, he’s rotten to the core.

An overly close, unhealthy family where everyone knows everyone's business, except when they kill someone?

I think Donna will be the next one to be arrested. I suppose there's a chance she and Wendi will be arrested at the same time. I hope they are at least somewhat preparing the boys for this eventuality even if it's putting ideas of "wrongful arrests" in their heads.

I don't think Harvey will ever be charged because they probably don't have enough evidence against him, unless there is a wiretap we don't know about.

I would agree with this. In a case full of sociopaths, narcissists and pathological liars, we might be splitting hairs here but I think Magbanua comes off as the second-most manipulative person in this case, behind only Wendi Adelson. Obviously, Charlie Adelson is very deceptive and cunning, but he's only trying to deceive the police.

Magbanua is deceiving the police, her new boyfriend and her ex-boyfriend all at the same time. Its a minor detail - but I suspect she broke up with Garcia only after Charlie Adelson showed interest. She used Garcia's devotion to her and his desperate financial position as the basis for him committing a murder for her. She lied and told him he was doing it for a lady named Wendi and left out the parts where Wendi was an Adelson and the actual contractor was his arch-nemesis and the man he tried to run off the road 3 weeks earlier - Charlie Adelson. I would be very interested to know when Garcia figured out that Charlie was behind the whole thing. And then look at the audacity...of going after Garcia for child support AFTER he commits a murder on behalf of her and her new boyfriend. Try to put all of that together in your mind.

Then look at how she plays Charlie. She gets cash but she also needs breast surgery. And a car. And the car she got sucks so she wants a better car cause her kids aren't safe. And she needs trips. And she needs a job at Adelson Institute. And catering service. Oh, and maybe a boat. And then the bump happens....and instead of calling the blackmailer, she tries to get Garcia to phone the number because if it IS the cops, its ok if he goes down, but not her. And she tells Charlie she did call the number and as payment, she needs a raise and an Escalade. At first she saw Adelson as a lottery ticket to a new dream life but when it became clear that wasn't going to happen, she knew she could milk the Adelson cow forever. She was essentially lowkey blackmailing the Adelsons for the two years before the FBI tried it. And even after spending years in jail, at some point she calculated that she would rather risk life in prison for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (lottery odds to get out of prison to cash in the lottery ticket to the rich life she always wanted) than to get out and raise her kids...because that life would have been the same financial struggle she already lived - even moreso as a convicted felon.

She is not a sympathetic character at all. She practically cried on cue when Kawass asked her about her mother on the stand and we all knew that question was coming because the State filed successful motions in pre-trial to bar Kawass from asking it. The only real emotion I've seen from Magbanua was when she pissed herself when the cops arrested her and when she cried hysterically when the jury announced they had a verdict - her emotions are for only her own suffering, not anyone else.

This is such a thought-provoking analysis. I don't know why but I never really saw her from this kind of thorough perspective. Very good.

I think Donna will be the next one to be arrested. I suppose there's a chance she and Wendi will be arrested at the same time. I hope they are at least somewhat preparing the boys for this eventuality even if it's putting ideas of "wrongful arrests" in their heads.

I don't think Harvey will ever be charged because they probably don't have enough evidence against him, unless there is a wiretap we don't know about.
I really hope they are engaging some psych consults to help choreograph the whole thing based on their personalities and tendencies to flip on each other. I'm rewatching LaCasse's testimony and a question I had just got an aha moment. I think Wendi made that comment about Charlie looking in to hiring a hit man five days before the murder because she was already covering her own bases by pre-throwing Charlie under the bus. Knowing LaCasse would throw suspicion his way (after he was being questioned under suspicion that she was expecting he would be after her set up of him). This woman makes Catherine Tramell from Basic Instinct look like a pussycat! (pun really was not intended there lol)

Last edited:

June Umchnida's full 2018 interview with police is well worth the read for anyone who hasn't. Fancifiction had posted it earlier but I have attached it again for your reading pleasure. There's a lot to chew on there, including:
- a websleuths shoutout. She was a regular lurker and was getting all her info from here when she first learned of the case;
- confirmation about not only the stapled cash but just how much cash Charlie dealt in;
- the conversation with Donna about Dan haunting them from the grave;
- most interestingly, Charlie's mental state both his breakdown, erratic behaviour but also in how he thought it would "all be over" after the KM and SG trial when KM would acquitted. Charlie was very familiar with Magbanua's Defense team, spoke highly of them and noted that they shared offices with his own Defense team. Even references how KM would not flip. (I wish the FBI got more out of her on this stuff!)
- a big fight between Wendi and Charlie when the case blew up in the media. Someone unfamiliar with the case might interpret this to mean Wendi was mad at Charlie for killing Dan but its very clear thats not the case. She's mad at Charlie for all the new media exposure and/or how he foolishly dealt with the blackmailing FBI; and they were able to reconcile whatever differences because they were both under the media spotlight, not just Wendi (its always poor Wendi!)

I won't spoil it all. But when I got to the part about Charlie visiting someone specific in the Philippines, I started to wonder whether this person was just another poor Asian girl Charlie was exploiting or whether she might be the intermediary between the Adelsons money and Magbanua's legal fees.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members