FL FL - David Brown, 69, was walking his dog in the woods, the dog came home w/o him, seen w/o shoes on video, Brooksville, 13 Aug 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

vlcsnap-2024-08-22-16h27m07s221.jpg

David Brown disappeared while looking for a tree in Hernando County that he wanted to pray by.

Trail goes cold in search for missing cancer patient last seen in Hernando County: 'Vanished into thin air'

I don’t like this one at all! Stage 4 prostate cancer, flowers and looking for the perfect tree?

why would his brother leave him? that parts weird. Why not say let’s go back together and we can come back and remove the tree.
I don't think he wanted to remove the tree, I think he was trying to get to the tree to pray and something was blocking the trail. IMO. Neither here nor there, Praying they find him.

I don't think he wanted to remove the tree, I think he was trying to get to the tree to pray and something was blocking the trail. IMO. Neither here nor there, Praying they find him.
yes a fallen tree in the article I posted. he also walked up to someone’s house asking for directions to the “perfect tree”

yes a fallen tree in the article I posted. he also walked up to someone’s house asking for directions to the “perfect tree”
His wife said he wanted to visit a “special” tree not a perfect one. I took that to mean an unusual tree (e.g., the one in the earlier pic) that would possibly have been familiar to people who live in the area.

Also, in the photo taken of him by the neighbors camera, is that a bite mark on his arm? I added a couple of dog bite pictures for comparison.IMG_1686.jpeg

His wife said he wanted to visit a “special” tree not a perfect one. I took that to mean an unusual tree (e.g., the one in the earlier pic) that would possibly have been familiar to people who live in the area.

Also, in the photo taken of him by the neighbors camera, is that a bite mark on his arm? I added a couple of dog bite pictures for comparison.View attachment 526370
Good eye. I don't know if it's a bite mark or not but if he was attacked by a dog, then that might account for the loss of his shoes, one sock and the tatters.

Good eye. I don't know if it's a bite mark or not but if he was attacked by a dog, then that might account for the loss of his shoes, one sock and the tatters.
I didn't notice this either when I first saw the photo but in looking at it with digital editing that allowed me to sharpen it slightly and enlarge, it's undetermined that it's a bite. I had an almost identical wound a couple years ago from being gouged by a branch while working in some brush. In my opinion, if he had an animal bite, there would have been blood on his white shirt and pants. I'm thinking that if the wound is fresh it was more likely received when gathering whatever plants he has in his hands, enough that it left a noticeable red mark but not enough to bleed on nearby fabric.

Re: the wound- I work with elderly in healthcare settings, so many are very frail and ill with nutrition concerns. Not to speculate that David met those descriptors exactly but we do know he wasn’t in the best of health, and from his stature in the surveillance pics it appears he was relatively frail. All do this to say - his wound looks exactly like many of the bad skin tears that many of my patients get from what would at first glance look to be “minor” injuries. Often times, where someone younger or healthier would get a bruise or maybe a superficial scratch, for these individuals the skin will completely peel back like in that picture, even from something seemingly small like running into a door frame or a wall corner. Skin at that age and with poor nutrition is remarkably fragile.

Is that an aloe plant he has in his hand/arm?
I ask because I well know from personal experience that a stage IV cancer patient would try anything to improve his/her condition.

Aloe, in particular Aloe arborescens more than Aloe vera, is proven succesful to alleviate the effect of chemo and increase survival rates.
Aloe vera is mostly used for skin care. Chemo,patients have very weak skin and use Aloe for soothing, cicatrisation, cleaning, hydration.
Aloe arborescens is mostly used as juice and widely in Europe for cancer patients undergoing chemo or radio or both.

I do not know if you can easily find it in the US?
Otherwise the juice is easy to extract from the plant, if you find the plant.

A randomized study of chemotherapy versus biochemotherapy with chemotherapy plus Aloe arborescens in patients with metastatic cancer​

Results: The percentage of both objective tumor regressions and disease control was significantly higher in patients concomitantly treated with Aloe than with chemotherapy alone, as well as the percent of 3-year survival patients.

Conclusion: This study seems to suggest that Aloe may be successfully associated with chemotherapy to increase its efficacy in terms of both tumor regression rate and survival time.

Last edited:

Sbm. I think it is - great eye! He has another plant that looks like it might be rosemary. I wonder if he fell while collecting plants/herbs?
Yes could be! And the supposedly aloe plant, he took ground with roots. It is not a rock in my opinion.
With his hands…maybe the injury on his arm comes from the aloe leaves that have spines.

AUG 24, 2024
  • Members of We Are The Essentials were joined by K-9 teams from Sumter County.
  • His wife said, "He is sick. He's terminally ill. I know he didn't want to face that."
  • Deputies said David disappeared after walking in the woods with a dog.
  • Video surveillance last spotted him in Brooksville on Batten Rd, between Deerfly Rd and Family Ln on Aug. 13.
  • A shoe, a sock and glasses have been recovered.
  • We Are The Essentials members are asking the public to review any camera or dash cam footage from that morning and onwards.
  • "I do know that there are game cameras on a lot of properties, and so if somebody has something on their game cameras, that could be crucial to the investigation in finding Mr. Brown," Shelly Croft, WATE treasurer and a licensed private investigator, said.
David Brown 1.jpg

David Brown 2.jpg

David Brown 3.jpg

Trail goes cold in search for missing cancer patient last seen in Hernando County: 'Vanished into thin air'

I don’t like this one at all! Stage 4 prostate cancer, flowers and looking for the perfect tree?

why would his brother leave him? that parts weird. Why not say let’s go back together and we can come back and remove the tree.
His brother likely left him precisely because of stage 4 prostate cancer. My father was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer, only six months before he died. He wanted to go to special places and do certain things, but towards the end, he could barely walk; I also want to add that my father was on very high doses of morphine medication and would hallucinate daily.
ETA: his wife said he was struggling to come to terms that he was terminally ill. My father also struggled with this until the day he died; he tried every single suggestion he found or sent me or one of us to tend to it, if we could. He died trying.

Last edited:

Also, in the photo taken of him by the neighbors camera, is that a bite mark on his arm? I added a couple of dog bite pictures for comparison.View attachment 526370
If it is on his arm it could also be self-inflicted. Maybe he was in severe pain?

In the first cam pic above looks like he is hushing his brother s dog, which in turn is very attentitve to someone (another dog? A person ? Another animal?
This may explain why the dog returned alone, not being held on leash it may have run after sth and then being alone, returned to its home

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Giles
Back