GUILTY FL - Debra Lafave for student sex abuse, Tampa, 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
(News Update)

Double Standard in Lafave Case?--Punishment Differs for Men and Women Who Have Sex With Teens

Excerpts:

The decision in the Debra LaFave case raises the question: Is there a double standard when it comes to having sex with teens?

Exhibit One: Debra LaFave. The now notorious 25-year-old middle-school teacher from Tampa, Fla., had agreed to plead guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery for having sex with a 14-year-old male student almost two years ago. It was part of a plea deal her lawyers struck with prosecutors so she could avoid serving time in prison.

This morning a judge rejected the deal. This afternoon the prosecutor threw up his hands and dropped all charges.

Exhibit Two: Dang Van Dinh. Earlier this month, the Orlando, Fla., chemistry teacher was sentenced to five years in prison for having sex with a 15-year-old female student.

Comparisons to cases like Van Dinh's seemed on the mind of Tampa Judge Hale R. Stancil this morning when he rejected the plea deal prosecutors had negotiated with LaFave.

"Accepting the proposed plea agreement would undermine the credibility of this court, and the criminal justice system as a whole, and would erode public confidence in our schools," Judge Stancil wrote in an order released today.

And LaFave? She is not completely exonerated. Last November she pleaded guilty in the same case in another county to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery in exchange for serving three years of house arrest followed by seven years of probation.

She is clearly relieved that there will be no additional punishment but also publicly contrite. This afternoon she spoke for the first time since her arrest. She says she is "very remorseful." And, she adds, "I only pray the young man and his family will be able to move on with their lives.''

Meanwhile, former teacher Dang van Dinh has begun serving his five-year sentence. (2 Page Article--more at link)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1752245&page=1
----------------------------------------------------

Decision in Lafave case means teacher, student won’t have to testify
Excerpts:

Sources told Orlando NBC affiliate WESH-TV that prosecutors had planned for several weeks to drop the charges against Lafave, who earlier agreed to a plea deal in a second court in a case in which she lost her teacher's license and was sentenced to three years of house arrest.

Prosecutors, defense attorneys and the boy’s mother wanted to avoid trial for the boy’s well-being.

He has suffered extreme anxiety from the media attention and does not want to testify, a psychiatrist previously told Stancil. But the judge said the lack of prison time prosecutors had proposed in Lafave’s plea deal “shocks the conscience of this court.”

Assistant State Attorney Richard Ridgway later said, “The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims in this case in order to force it to trial. I am not.”

At a news conference in Tampa, Lafave said she has bipolar disorder, and her attorney said she is getting treatment.

“I want the world to see that bipolar is real,” Lafave said. “Not one time has the media brought up the subject of my bipolar. I challenge you to read a book or an article on bipolar illness.”

Her relationship with the student, Lafave said, was a result of her bipolar disorder.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11943967/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Prosecutors drop sex case against teacher

Snips:

Lafave, 25, said she is undergoing therapy for bipolar disorder and was "very remorseful" about the events that led to her arrest in June 2004.

"My greatest regret would probably be the fact that I put this young man through this," she said.

Lafave criticized the extensive media coverage her case received, accusing reporters of invading the privacy of her former student.

She said she was taking a journalism course online, adding, "God has given me a great outlet to write, and I would hope I could reach people through writing."

"I am a strong Christian woman," she said. "I believe that God has a path for me, and this was just a bump in the road." (More at link)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/21/charges.dropped/
--------------------------------------------------------------

The following article covers a lot.

Charges dropped against Lafave

Excerpts:

"I believe my mental illness had a lot to do with my actions," Lafave said in a news conference Tuesday with defense attorney John Fitzgibbons, referring to bipolar disorder. "I offer my deepest apology. I am very remorseful. I want the world to see that bipolar is real."

Before taking questions during her first public comments since the case began, Lafave thanked Fitzgibbons for fighting for her and showing that mental illnesses "cause good people to do bad things." She thanked her family and her fiancé for their "unconditional love" and said she was undergoing intensive therapy that was "helping tremendously."

Lafave told reporters that she isn't allowed to see children as part of her plea agreement, though she hopes to be a mother one day. Since she is no longer allowed to teach, she said she is pursuing a career in journalism instead.

Asked whether she thought men charged with sex crimes against children were handled more harshly by the legal system than women, Lafave said she didn't.

"I don't think there is a double standard," she said. "I think we should all check the statistics."

The Marion County state attorney's office released a statement Tuesday about dropping the charges against Lafave.

"The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims in this case in order to force it to trial. I am not," Florida State Attorney Brad King said. "The Florida constitution and Florida statutes make it clear that victims are entitled to protection and to have their wishes given consideration in all criminal cases. The victims have made it clear that they do not want to testify, and this position is both understandable and reasonable."

Earlier in the day, Marion County Circuit Judge Hale R. Stancil said honoring the plea agreement would undermine the credibility of the criminal justice system and "erode public confidence in our schools."

"Accepting the proposed plea agreement would likewise send the message that if enough publicity is generated, and the media's interest continues long enough, and because of that interest the victim does not wish to testify, a defendant can avoid an appropriate sentence," Stancil wrote in his decision.

"Quite frankly, if the allegations against the defendant are true, the agreed-upon sentence shocks the conscience of this court."

Normally, Stancil's ruling would have sent the case to trial. If Lafave had been found guilty of the charges, it would almost certainly have meant jail time of up to 30 years for the former teacher.

The boy's family wanted to avoid a trial and Lafave wouldn't agree to a plea deal containing a sentence of imprisonment, according to the decision. (More at link)

http://khon.com/khon/display.cfm?storyID=12189&sectionID=1162

Jean said:
(News Update)

Double Standard in Lafave Case?--Punishment Differs for Men and Women Who Have Sex With Teens

Excerpts:

The decision in the Debra LaFave case raises the question: Is there a double standard when it comes to having sex with teens?

Exhibit One: Debra LaFave. The now notorious 25-year-old middle-school teacher from Tampa, Fla., had agreed to plead guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery for having sex with a 14-year-old male student almost two years ago. It was part of a plea deal her lawyers struck with prosecutors so she could avoid serving time in prison.

This morning a judge rejected the deal. This afternoon the prosecutor threw up his hands and dropped all charges.

Exhibit Two: Dang Van Dinh. Earlier this month, the Orlando, Fla., chemistry teacher was sentenced to five years in prison for having sex with a 15-year-old female student.

Comparisons to cases like Van Dinh's seemed on the mind of Tampa Judge Hale R. Stancil this morning when he rejected the plea deal prosecutors had negotiated with LaFave.

"Accepting the proposed plea agreement would undermine the credibility of this court, and the criminal justice system as a whole, and would erode public confidence in our schools," Judge Stancil wrote in an order released today.

And LaFave? She is not completely exonerated. Last November she pleaded guilty in the same case in another county to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery in exchange for serving three years of house arrest followed by seven years of probation.

She is clearly relieved that there will be no additional punishment but also publicly contrite. This afternoon she spoke for the first time since her arrest. She says she is "very remorseful." And, she adds, "I only pray the young man and his family will be able to move on with their lives.''

Meanwhile, former teacher Dang van Dinh has begun serving his five-year sentence. (2 Page Article--more at link)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1752245&page=1
----------------------------------------------------

Decision in Lafave case means teacher, student won’t have to testify
Excerpts:

Sources told Orlando NBC affiliate WESH-TV that prosecutors had planned for several weeks to drop the charges against Lafave, who earlier agreed to a plea deal in a second court in a case in which she lost her teacher's license and was sentenced to three years of house arrest.

Prosecutors, defense attorneys and the boy’s mother wanted to avoid trial for the boy’s well-being.

He has suffered extreme anxiety from the media attention and does not want to testify, a psychiatrist previously told Stancil. But the judge said the lack of prison time prosecutors had proposed in Lafave’s plea deal “shocks the conscience of this court.”

Assistant State Attorney Richard Ridgway later said, “The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims in this case in order to force it to trial. I am not.”

At a news conference in Tampa, Lafave said she has bipolar disorder, and her attorney said she is getting treatment.

“I want the world to see that bipolar is real,” Lafave said. “Not one time has the media brought up the subject of my bipolar. I challenge you to read a book or an article on bipolar illness.”

Her relationship with the student, Lafave said, was a result of her bipolar disorder.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11943967/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Prosecutors drop sex case against teacher

Snips:

Lafave, 25, said she is undergoing therapy for bipolar disorder and was "very remorseful" about the events that led to her arrest in June 2004.

"My greatest regret would probably be the fact that I put this young man through this," she said.

Lafave criticized the extensive media coverage her case received, accusing reporters of invading the privacy of her former student.

She said she was taking a journalism course online, adding, "God has given me a great outlet to write, and I would hope I could reach people through writing."

"I am a strong Christian woman," she said. "I believe that God has a path for me, and this was just a bump in the road." (More at link)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/21/charges.dropped/
--------------------------------------------------------------

The following article covers a lot.

Charges dropped against Lafave

Excerpts:

"I believe my mental illness had a lot to do with my actions," Lafave said in a news conference Tuesday with defense attorney John Fitzgibbons, referring to bipolar disorder. "I offer my deepest apology. I am very remorseful. I want the world to see that bipolar is real."

Before taking questions during her first public comments since the case began, Lafave thanked Fitzgibbons for fighting for her and showing that mental illnesses "cause good people to do bad things." She thanked her family and her fiancé for their "unconditional love" and said she was undergoing intensive therapy that was "helping tremendously."

Lafave told reporters that she isn't allowed to see children as part of her plea agreement, though she hopes to be a mother one day. Since she is no longer allowed to teach, she said she is pursuing a career in journalism instead.

Asked whether she thought men charged with sex crimes against children were handled more harshly by the legal system than women, Lafave said she didn't.

"I don't think there is a double standard," she said. "I think we should all check the statistics."

The Marion County state attorney's office released a statement Tuesday about dropping the charges against Lafave.

"The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims in this case in order to force it to trial. I am not," Florida State Attorney Brad King said. "The Florida constitution and Florida statutes make it clear that victims are entitled to protection and to have their wishes given consideration in all criminal cases. The victims have made it clear that they do not want to testify, and this position is both understandable and reasonable."

Earlier in the day, Marion County Circuit Judge Hale R. Stancil said honoring the plea agreement would undermine the credibility of the criminal justice system and "erode public confidence in our schools."

"Accepting the proposed plea agreement would likewise send the message that if enough publicity is generated, and the media's interest continues long enough, and because of that interest the victim does not wish to testify, a defendant can avoid an appropriate sentence," Stancil wrote in his decision.

"Quite frankly, if the allegations against the defendant are true, the agreed-upon sentence shocks the conscience of this court."

Normally, Stancil's ruling would have sent the case to trial. If Lafave had been found guilty of the charges, it would almost certainly have meant jail time of up to 30 years for the former teacher.

The boy's family wanted to avoid a trial and Lafave wouldn't agree to a plea deal containing a sentence of imprisonment, according to the decision. (More at link)

http://khon.com/khon/display.cfm?storyID=12189&sectionID=1162
ok- I am going to go out on a limb and get bashed for this---
but now she is bipolar, and a christian...................oh yea- she is also engaged again, and want to be a mother.......:confused:

concernedperson said:
There have been many cases where bipolar has come into play lately. Fawley is one, Lafave is another. I think they use a system that is based on subjective interpretation and play on it to get what they want.I still see personality disorder as being the true culprit. The entitlement reigns when all other factors disappear. JMO.
good point
she is really in denial
i couldnt believe her blaming the media for ruining the kids life..christ if she hadnt done it he wouldnt be in the news..I noticed she almost choked on ..the media has blown this out of proportion..(she didnt use blown but thats cuz she realized it would be a very bad idea in reference to the kid).

This disgusts me. That prosecutor didn't like his plea being rejected, it's his ego that dismissed the case against this pedaphile. This pedaphile has been seeing a psychiatrist for 10 years, are we to believe that she's all better now. I doubt it.

If a civil case is filed I hope the school department DOESN'T SETTLE & the jury awards that mother $1.00, she doesn't care about other children at all but spouts about her concern for her son. By the time a civil action comes to trial the victim will be of age & his image will be all over the television & internet whereas had he testified in the trial that should have taken place to put this pedaphile in prison, his image would have been protected. He would have been protected by the court & by the press. The mother of this young boy has done not only nothing to protect her son but nothing to protect anybody else's. She should be ashamed of herself & the prosecutor should be ashamed of himself, grow up.

The Judge did the right thing. It was refreshing to hear that a Judge utilized common sense & a concern for the community & the messages sent it's citizenry as a result of the judicial system that the public finances. IMO

j2mirish said:
ok- I am going to go out on a limb and get bashed for this---
but now she is bipolar, and a christian...................oh yea- she is also engaged again, and want to be a mother.......:confused:

Well, there are many, many people who suffer from bipolar...jewish, christian, etc. One of my very good friends is bipolar and she is a wonderful person, and also a christian (she doesn't molest young children, or anyone else for that matter). She takes meds and is fine. Maybe I am not understanding your post, but bipolar really is an illness and religion doesn't have anything to do with it (unless you practiced Scientology and weren't allowed to take meds--vitamins wouldn't be of any help controlling bipolar, I don't think) . When you are bipolar it is necessary to take your meds and you can live a normal life. Just so you know, I am not bashing you. :) Maybe we just have different opinions on this particular subject. :-)

The guy Debra is engaged to has a two year old!!! Can you believe that. The child doesn't live with him, but he is an active parent. Debra won't be able to be around the child for at least 7 years, maybe 10...not sure. I sure hope the child isn't a little boy.

Edited to correct error--changeed son to child

altruist1000 said:
This disgusts me. That prosecutor didn't like his plea being rejected, it's his ego that dismissed the case against this pedaphile. This pedaphile has been seeing a psychiatrist for 10 years, are we to believe that she's all better now. I doubt it.

If a civil case is filed I hope the school department DOESN'T SETTLE & the jury awards that mother $1.00, she doesn't care about other children at all but spouts about her concern for her son. By the time a civil action comes to trial the victim will be of age & his image will be all over the television & internet whereas had he testified in the trial that should have taken place to put this pedaphile in prison, his image would have been protected. He would have been protected by the court & by the press. The mother of this young boy has done not only nothing to protect her son but nothing to protect anybody else's. She should be ashamed of herself & the prosecutor should be ashamed of himself, grow up.

The Judge did the right thing. It was refreshing to hear that a Judge utilized common sense & a concern for the community & the messages sent it's citizenry as a result of the judicial system that the public finances. IMO

What a great post, altruist1000! :clap: :clap:

If you have been following this case, I would recommending reading this transcript--Nancy's show was informative. Nancy interrupted her guests, as usual, but not as often as usual! lol

I think Debra is a pedophile and should have been sent to prison. The therapist on Nancy's show also believes Debra is a pedophile.

Nancy Grace Transcript from 3/21/06--Debra LaFave Case

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0603/21/ng.01.html

Snip re pedophile and bipolar:

GRACE: I read the book. This can`t possibly be bipolar. Bipolar says drastically increased activity level and, according to the police report, Bethany Marshall, she had a very high activity level, including in the back seat of a truck, where the truckers were going by, ooh, ooh, they could look right in.

MARSHALL: Well, with bipolar there is hyper sexuality. There is dis- inhibition. There`s a lot of activity but you can be bipolar and have a conscience. I think it is very important for people to know that. And on behalf of mentally ill people, I want to say that just because you have a mental illness doesn`t mean that you can no longer distinguish right from wrong. And the other thing is, bipolar illness is one thing. Pedophilia is another. And it is possible to be bipolar and to be a pedophile and the two illnesses are intertwined, but being bipolar does not necessarily lead to the other. And because they are hyper sexual during a manic episode doesn`t mean that you will automatically pick a child victim.

GRACE: Bethany, I respect you deeply, everyone, Bethany Marshall is a renowned psychoanalyst, but when you say hyper sexuality, that has nothing to do with statutory rape, in other words, rape of a child, whether they consent or not having full-blown sex with a child is statutory rape.

MARSHALL: That`s right. That`s why I am saying bipolar illness and child molestation -- excuse me bipolar illness and being a pedophile are two different things. So even though she is bipolar, it doesn`t excuse her from what her pedophilia led her to do.

GRACE: Let`s take another listen to what Deb LaFave had to say in court. And if any of you have not heard the breaking news out of a Florida courtroom today, the judge was basically shackled by the defense and the prosecution, when he refused their sweetheart deal against this cover girl- turned-teacher, a convicted child sex offender. The state dropped the charges. Here is what Debra LaFave had to say in court. (Much more a link)

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0603/21/ng.01.html

Jean said:
Well, there are many, many people who suffer from bipolar...jewish, christian, etc. One of my very good friends is bipolar and she is a wonderful person, and also a christian (she doesn't molest young children, or anyone else for that matter). She takes meds and is fine. Maybe I am not understanding your post, but bipolar really is an illness and religion doesn't have anything to do with it (unless you practiced Scientology and weren't allowed to take meds--vitamins wouldn't be of any help controlling bipolar, I don't think) . When you are bipolar it is necessary to take your meds and you can live a normal life. Just so you know, I am not bashing you. :) Maybe we just have different opinions on this particular subject. :-)

The guy Debra is engaged to has a two year old!!! Can you believe that. The child doesn't live with him, but he is an active parent. Debra won't be able to be around the son for at least 7 years, maybe 10...not sure. I sure hope the child isn't a little boy.
this is why I didnt want to be misundertood- and my fault-
I have no qualms about mental illness, or religion-
unless I was mistaken, I had not heard until NOW she was saying she was bipolar, meaning I thought she was throwing that in, as an excuse---- then the Christian point, was refering to all the d/r inamtes tha find God- That was where i was going with my post-- I am so bad at just thinking everyone knows where my thoughts are going that I dont have to explain like i should- :slap: -to me

j2mirish said:
this is why I didnt want to be misundertood- and my fault-
I have no qualms about mental illness, or religion-
unless I was mistaken, I had not heard until NOW she was saying she was bipolar, meaning I thought she was throwing that in, as an excuse---- then the Christian point, was refering to all the d/r inamtes tha find God- That was where i was going with my post-- I am so bad at just thinking everyone knows where my thoughts are going that I dont have to explain like i should- :slap: -to me

J2mirish, I understand--I do the same thing. I didn't know until tonight about the bipolar either, and I do wonder if she really does have it--and I also wonder how long she has been a "christian", AND if she really is a christian! She sure doesn't sound like she is sorry for what she did. I have a real problem with Debra, the victim's mother and all those idiots on the prosecution team! I think our justice system is going to hell in a hand basket.

I remember months back when Websleuthers were looking at and discussing this pedophile's wedding photos. I thought she looked downright evil in some of them and she still does. Very crazy mean looking eyes and a face filled with hate. It's not right to blame bipolar disorder. She is a pedophile and I really feel sorry for any children that she may have or be around such as a stepchild. There's no telling what she may end up doing and I doubt that medication will help her or she wouldn't already be engaged to a man with a child.

Pedophiles don't change, in my opinion. I agree she needs help if she has bipolar, but I don't think any amount of help will cure her of being a pedophile.

Lafave's Lawyer Says She's Changed 3/22/06

John Fitzgibbons, Lafave's lawyer, acknowledged that Lafave referring to having sex with her student as a "bump in the road" could offend people, but said she was also referring to her struggle with bipolar disorder.

"Well, yes, but on the other hand she suffers from a serious mental illness and there were six psychiatrists who were prepared to testify had we gone to trial that she is indeed mentally ill," he told "Good Morning America." "She is being treated now and is a different person than she was a couple of years ago and she recognizes how serious that situation was."

He also said this was Lafave's way of showing optimism for what lies ahead.

"This has been a long ordeal," Fitzgibbons told "Good Morning America," "but she's optimistic and I think she's looking at this on a long-term basis and she'll go on with her life and have a good life." (More at link)

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1754355&page=1
---------------------------------

Teacher-Sex Outcome Sparks Outrage 3/22/06

Excerpts:

Murphy calls the development "jaw-dropping from every perspective. This is a woman who literally raped a 14-year-old boy repeatedly. And she wasn't just a woman. Not just an adult. She was his teacher. It sends a terrible message that rape of children is not a very serious crime.

"And, frankly, I think it sends a message that we have a two-tiered justice system, that if you're cute, if you have influence of any kind, you get a walk. Because the people who aren't cute, who are doing these things to kids, they're actually behind bars."

Murphy also sees a kind of reverse sexism at work: "Male teachers raping their 14-year-old students, lots of them are behind bars, because that's exactly where they belong."

She is sharply critical of the prosecutor, saying he's to blame for the charges being dropped and, "The judge here is the hero. The judge said, 'I'm not going to accept a plea bargain where she gets a complete pass.' The prosecutor then just said, 'Well, I'm going to drop the charges.' He has to accept responsibility and, frankly, he should hang his head in shame."

Murphy also targeted Lafave's claim she is bipolar.

"I think it would have been a defense she would have been allowed to put on. But I don't think it would have stuck. I don't think a single juror with a brain would have bought it."

"She wasn't bipolar before she was caught raping a student," Murphy continued, sarcastically. "This was an illness that happened to pop up, coincidentally, when she needed to have some kind of defense to a case that was otherwise defenseless. A lot of people have bipolar disorder and other mental illness. They don't rape kids. So, it's not only not a legitimate defense in this case, I think it's insulting to the whole concept of mental illness and it's unfair.

"What are we going to think now? All people with bipolar are going to be predators and hunting down our children to have sex? It's an outrage that she dared use it both in a PR (public relations) sense and in a court of law." (More at Link, 2 page article)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/22/earlyshow/main1429564.shtml

Bi-polar, my butt. If she was a 50-year old man, she'd have gotten prision time. Time to quit playing games.

Jeana (DP) said:
Bi-polar, my butt. If she was a 50-year old man, she'd have gotten prision time. Time to quit playing games.

:clap::clap: Couldn't agree more.

The statement she made about this being a bump in the road really bothers me. I think she's clueless about what she's done. Pretty scary. She belongs in prison.

I am a strong Christian woman," she said. "I believe that God has a path for me, and this was just a bump in the road." (More at link)

This whole thing is outragous. She raped a boy more than once by the way,and she just gets away with it. It is crystal clear she doesn't get that she did anything wrong by her bump in the road coment. Bipolar has nothing to do with being a child molester! They are to completely different sicknesses. My mother in law is Bipolar but she would never rape one of my sons!!! That kind of a statement makes anyone who is bipolar look like a child molester. Although I find it hard to believe anyone would be influenced by what that fruitloop says!:eek: That prosecuter should hang his head in shame. I'm sure the victem didn't want to testify, it would have been stressful and embaressing, but what is the alternative? She gets to move on to her next victem which is possible because she really doesn't think she did anything wrong and she is a child molester. They don't stop!!,

NewMom2003 said:
:clap::clap: Couldn't agree more.

The statement she made about this being a bump in the road really bothers me. I think she's clueless about what she's done. Pretty scary. She belongs in prison.

I am a strong Christian woman," she said. "I believe that God has a path for me, and this was just a bump in the road." (More at link)

Yeah, I've got a "bump" for her. Right upside the head. :slap:

Jeana (DP) said:
Yeah, I've got a "bump" for her. Right upside the head. :slap:

You and me both girl. If I had a 14 year old son that she had done this to, I'd jerk her baldheaded and give her something to whine about. Prissy little beotch needs to be in prison among other sexual predators. :furious:

NewMom2003 said:

That quote just fries my fritters! "A strong Christian woman." Humpf!

"Bump in the road." Is that what you call what she's done? Humpf!

Jeana (DP) said:
True so true!!!!!!!!Her hubby should have done something also,he lived with her and didnt realize she was mental??????????? And the guy she is engaged to has a child!!!!!!!!!!!And supposedly she is not supposed to be around kids!!!!So I guess the child will never stay at daddys house!!!!!!!!!!:furious: :furious: :furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210
Back