GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe everyone already understood this when it happened, but I am re-watching and found this interesting. In Wendi's recent testimony, Georgia was asking her about Harvey's 70th birthday party.

Georgia: "What was on the menu?"
Wendi: "Umm, we had Paella."
Georgia: "Were you responsible for securing the Paella or was that your brother's job?"
Wendi: "I didn't arrange it but I speak Spanish and no one else could communicate with him (the caterer) so I spent some time helping him (Charlie), that's why I remember what we ate."

Charlie later testifies that the 70th birthday gift was him organizing and paying for the caterer. Whats interesting here is: Charlie has not testified yet, but Georgia already knows that Charlie is going to pretend that the 70th bday gift is the Paella Chef/caterer. And Georgia also seems to know that Wendi was the one who was contacting the Paella caterer.

Likewise, despite having sworn under oath that she has never talked to her family about this case since 2016, Wendi can instantly recall, with photographic precision, that her very minimal involvement in the catering was to help Charlie because she spoke Spanish. Diabolical.

Sadly, lots of people think they can change a person, or their habits, once they're married.

Marriage is hard and neither of them were with the right person so they were both probably hard to live with.i

Sadly, lots of people think they can change a person, or their habits, once they're married.

Marriage is hard and neither of them were with the right person so they were both probably hard to live with.
I think Donna was trolling the dating website and pushed Wendi to him maybe based on educational background or something else that she thought would be a good partner to give her grandchildren. Maybe he wrote about interest in starting a family etc. Donna was involved in every more that Wendi made. Would be interesting to know just how many trips to Tally she made and no doubt stayed in their home...bet she was there way more than Dan would have liked...combine that with Wendi going to MIA and then Dan building his career and resume and Wendi's career not really moving ahead...receipt for divorce but never murder.

I think Donna was trolling the dating website and pushed Wendi to him maybe based on educational background or something else that she thought would be a good partner to give her grandchildren. Maybe he wrote about interest in starting a family etc. Donna was involved in every more that Wendi made. Would be interesting to know just how many trips to Tally she made and no doubt stayed in their home...bet she was there way more than Dan would have liked...combine that with Wendi going to MIA and then Dan building his career and resume and Wendi's career not really moving ahead...receipt for divorce but never murder.
Didn't they meet in DC or something? Looked like maybe they both had chances at some 'high-flying' careers and then ended up in Tallahassee and he has the bigger job and she's the trailing spouse. That's got to have an impact on a relationship.

Didn't they meet in DC or something? Looked like maybe they both had chances at some 'high-flying' careers and then ended up in Tallahassee and he has the bigger job and she's the trailing spouse. That's got to have an impact on a relationship.
yes I heard that story too....but more than once something about a JDate site which I assume is Jewish Dating Site and that Donna encouraged her to follow it up. So not sure what is really the story.

They met on Jdate, a Jewish dating site. She testified that they first met in person when he was working at a law firm in DC, and she flew up there to interview for an internship and arranged to meet him while there. He worked in private practice at a very prestigious firm before he got the job as a professor at FSU. I think (JMO, I don’t know this) Donna may have been more impressed that he was a high-powered (and highly paid) attorney with a big firm than when he became a professor, which she may have viewed as less prestigious and which paid less. Her emails refer to Wendi, who also taught a class at the law school (though not as a full professor), as a “teacher,” and she says this with disdain. She says she wants Wendi to take the job with a private firm in South Florida, and not be “a teacher in Tallahassee.” It’s interesting, because Donna was a teacher, before she had children.

Last edited:
Awful, sad, and gross. He was very open/proud about his level of religious observance and was clearly keeping kosher well before they got married, before they even met. He wasn't hiding the ball. (I'm an old friend -- these are facts.)

This was something very obvious in his life, and very important to him. Truly unclear why they decided to get married if this was going to be an issue. (In fact, he set me up with a friend of his who was very kind and accomplished, but too observant for me. It took exactly one date for me to figure out that it wasn't going to work.)
CUTIE, I really appreciated your insight on "level of religious observance." Of course the marriage could never last when something so basic to everyday life would be an area of severe conflict from the get-go...food prep and selection.
(Lots of reading and youtubing on what it means to be Kosher convinces me one could NEVER build a bridge across these two divides.)

PS...can not unbold my type, ugh. Oh yeah, just edited and got type back to normal!!

They met on Jdate. She testified that they first met in person when he was working at a law firm in DC, and she flew up there to interview for an internship. He worked in private practice at a prestigious firm before he got the job as a professor at FSU. I think (JMO, I don’t know this) Donna may have been more impressed that he was a high-powered (and highly paid) attorney with a big firm than when he became a professor, which she may have viewed as less prestigious and which paid less. Her emails refer to Wendi, who also taught a class at the law school (though not as a full professor), as a “teacher,” and she says this with disdain. She says she wants Wendi to take the job with a private firm in South Florida, and not be “a teacher in Tallahassee.” It’s interesting, because Donna was a teacher, before she had children. In those days, it was one of the few careers open to women.
Donna Adelson could have gone into law, medical or most fields. I am her age and have many friends in all professions. "In those days" that you refer to is the generation before Donna. I think she was living vicariously thru her daughter but her career choice was what she was maybe at that time best suited for.

CUTIE, I really appreciated your insight on "level of religious observance." Of course the marriage could never last when something so basic to everyday life would be an area of severe conflict from the get-go...food prep and selection.
(Lots of reading and youtubing on what it means to be Kosher convinces me one could NEVER build a bridge across these two divides.)

PS...can not unbold my type, ugh.
It is such a big deal, in fact, that JDate lets you select for level of observance, keeping kosher, synagogue attendance, etc. Curiously, they still ended up matched.

Last edited:
Donna Adelson could have gone into law, medical or most fields. I am her age and have many friends in all professions. "In those days" that you refer to is the generation before Donna. I think she was living vicariously thru her daughter but her career choice was what she was maybe at that time best suited for.
She seems to me to be old fashioned in her values. She got married very young. It’s true things were starting to change for many women in the early 70’s, but by that time she already had two kids, so I think she may have had fewer options. I don’t know. Just speculating.

She seems to me to be old fashioned in her values. She got married very young. It’s true things were starting to change for many women in the early 70’s, but by that time she already had two kids, so I think she may have had fewer options. I don’t know. Just speculating.
Donna got what she wanted....a very successful husband and family. He made more than enough money to allow her to spend freely and live the lifestyle she wanted. I assume she at one time was very socially connected and kept very busy. That is what was important to her...having her children be very successful and they were ...one Dr. one lawyer and one dentist. Wendi gave her the "sunshines" she craved as she got older but then of course that did not go well and the rest is history.

If your spouse gradually became more observant as the marriage went on, and it wasn’t something you had agreed to, I think that would merit a serious discussion.
I agree- especially with full Kosher as opposed to say largely symbolic.

I have seen Christian marriages go under as one spouse became more devout and expected the other to go from "Christmas and Easter" at the Methodist Church" to: Every Sunday at the Evangelical church- and... most Wednesday nights and.... a good number of Saturday mornings.

Not only could going full Kosher involve more expected participation at the Synagogue, but my understanding is that its also expensive outside of cities with large Jewish populations.

I once got curious and walked by the fully Kosher meat department at our city's sole "Kosher Kroger"- and saw $50.00 roasts. Likewise, I don't know how many kosher restaraunts there are in Tallahassee.

Thus.... full Kosher could involve a triple impact: Increased interest in active Synagogue participation as well as expense and impacts on social life.

I love to read about attorneys on WS cases of interest. Where, what, why, years and area of practice? Risk vs reward strategy, etc. I must say, one has to be a very accomplished poker player to last (even to 14th place) in a typical poker tournament. And oh the irony of being knocked out of the tournament holding two black 8's.

Excerpt from Wendi Adelson's Divorce Deposition Re: The Holocaust Ring She Stole

Context: Wendi had explained that she returned the tennis racket after Dan asked for her to return it.
----

Lawyer: Back to the personal property. Has Mr. Markel asked for the return of his great uncle's ring?
Wendi: He has.
Lawyer: So he has asked for the return of other items?
Wendi: Oh, I thought you meant items that were his.
Lawyer: Well, what is your position on the ring?
Wendi: My position is that it's mine.
Lawyer: You removed it from the safety deposit box without asking?
Wendi: Its our shared safety deposit box so yes, I didn't ask for permission first.
Lawyer: What else did you remove?
Wendi: I don't remember what else was in there.
Lawyer: In fact, that's not the ring you wore as an engagement ring, correct?
Wendi: I actually usually don't wear a ring.
Lawyer: There were two engagement rings, correct?
Wendi: Uh-huh. Yeah. One from my grandmother and one from Danny's great aunt.
Lawyer: And the one that you traditionally wore was, which one?
Wendi: Neither.
Lawyer: Neither? Ok, so, how then - if there are two engagement rings - how do you assume that the one from his great aunt is yours?
Wendi: Because her widow gave it to me as a present.
Lawyer: Directly to you?
Wendi: Yes.
Lawyer: And, is he still with us?
Wendi: He is.
Lawyer: So, if he asked for the ring back, what would your intent be?
Wendi: I would give it back to him.
Lawyer: Did you inform Mr. Markel that you would remove those items from the safety deposit box?
Wendi: I did not.

-----
Dan Markel then had his uncle write a letter requesting the return of the holocaust ring, and Wendi never responded. CRAZY.

ETA: Later in the deposition, she is asked why she won't return Dan's bike and her justification is that the bike was purchased by Charlie, so technically its not Dans (even though she sees no issue with the fact that she never obviously purchased the holocaust ring).

I don't care what evidence they have against Wendi. If a jury hears about stealing a holocaust ring and then changing the kids names 3 weeks after the murder (and eliminating Ben's middle name), she is cooked. Evil woman.

Last edited:
I agree- especially with full Kosher as opposed to say largely symbolic.

I have seen Christian marriages go under as one spouse became more devout and expected the other to go from "Christmas and Easter" at the Methodist Church" to: Every Sunday at the Evangelical church- and... most Wednesday nights and.... a good number of Saturday mornings.

Not only could going full Kosher involve more expected participation at the Synagogue, but my understanding is that its also expensive outside of cities with large Jewish populations.

I once got curious and walked by the fully Kosher meat department at our city's sole "Kosher Kroger"- and saw $50.00 roasts. Likewise, I don't know how many kosher restaraunts there are in Tallahassee.

Thus.... full Kosher could involve a triple impact: Increased interest in active Synagogue participation as well as expense and impacts on social life.
I think what happened in their marriage is just very common...two people in love think any potential problems are not that important and as time goes along they grow apart....from some of Wendi's comments that is how she saw it and settled for a bit less than optimum for her partner. Then the divorce did not go as expected and it all started getting ugly...the "problem" was not going away so she and her family took care of it. Too bad the Latin Kings were not very professional.

Look at 3G on Wednesday -

View attachment 460555
Is it significant that it is Judge Everett, or are they randomly assigned?

ETA- do they meet every week, or only when the state has a case to bring before them? They must have more than one criminal case going to the grand jury at any given time, right? Does anyone know how this works?

Tim Jansen said on STS live this evening that Rashbaum told him he thought he could win! I’m baffled! Sometimes you assume lawyers are just doing their job and they don’t actually believe the bs they’re selling but….

I think you have to psych yourself into that headspace if your client won't cut a deal. If you're going into trial and your mental state is, "Well there's no chance," then you can't zealously advocate for your client as professional ethics require. And that obligation of zealous advocacy applies even to guilty shitbag clients like CA.

That said, it's not a crazy idea that he could have won. Defense lawyers have to convince only one of twelve that there is reasonable doubt. And in this case, if the weird incel alternate juror who seemed to be on CA and Rashbaum's collective jock had managed to make it into the actual jury there may well have been a mistrial.

Excerpt from Wendi Adelson's Divorce Deposition Re: The Holocaust Ring She Stole

Context: Wendi had explained that she returned the tennis racket after Dan asked for her to return it.
----

Lawyer: Back to the personal property. Has Mr. Markel asked for the return of his great uncle's ring?
Wendi: He has.
Lawyer: So he has asked for the return of other items?
Wendi: Oh, I thought you meant items that were his.
Lawyer: Well, what is your position on the ring?
Wendi: My position is that it's mine.
Lawyer: You removed it from the safety deposit box without asking?
Wendi: Its our shared safety deposit box so yes, I didn't ask for permission first.
Lawyer: What else did you remove?
Wendi: I don't remember what else was in there.
Lawyer: In fact, that's not the ring you wore as an engagement ring, correct?
Wendi: I actually usually don't wear a ring.
Lawyer: There were two engagement rings, correct?
Wendi: Uh-huh. Yeah. One from my grandmother and one from Danny's great aunt.
Lawyer: And the one that you traditionally wore was, which one?
Wendi: Neither.
Lawyer: Neither? Ok, so, how then - if there are two engagement rings - how do you assume that the one from his great aunt is yours?
Wendi: Because her widow gave it to me as a present.
Lawyer: Directly to you?
Wendi: Yes.
Lawyer: And, is he still with us?
Wendi: He is.
Lawyer: So, if he asked for the ring back, what would your intent be?
Wendi: I would give it back to him.
Lawyer: Did you inform Mr. Markel that you would remove those items from the safety deposit box?
Wendi: I did not.

-----
Dan Markel then had his uncle write a letter requesting the return of the holocaust ring, and Wendi never responded. CRAZY.

ETA: Later in the deposition, she is asked why she won't return Dan's bike and her justification is that the bike was purchased by Charlie, so technically its not Dans (even though she sees no issue with the fact that she never obviously purchased the holocaust ring).

I don't care what evidence they have against Wendi. If a jury hears about stealing a holocaust ring and then changing the kids names 3 weeks after the murder (and eliminating Ben's middle name), she is cooked. Evil woman.
This is interesting.... UM law has (had?) a required class called "Elements" and one of the featured cases studied in that class had to do with "replevin of a diamond ring." This was ages ago but I think where it came out was that it's a gift given in contemplation of marriage so if the marriage isn't entered into, it goes back to the giver. If the marriage takes place, it's the property of the new wife. Not saying that what Wendi did was morally right, but she may have been falling back on her Elements training! :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcnew91