FL - George Zimmerman injured in Lake Mary shooting, police say

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few posters were floating the idea that MA had a plan to set GZ up so he could later kill GZ and claim self defense. I'm of the opinion that if murder were the true motive it would be easier and with less chance of being found out to just shoot as a random stranger vs being the guy that had previous issues with GZ. IMO

The "Random Stranger" scenario could be a possibility in this case if Apperson was a "Random Stranger." But he's not. He has had prior contact with Zimmerman.

I think that's why I have a hard time understanding your point of view.

The "Random Stranger" scenario could be a possibility in this case if Apperson was a "Random Stranger." But he's not. He has had prior contact with Zimmerman.

I think that's why I have a hard time understanding your point of view.

Okay...I'll try again. I was responding to a theory from other posters that thought it was possible that GZ was being set up. Some comments were along the line of a lot of crazies in the world and so on.
We then had a few that thought MA had been working to set GZ up and then claim self defense after he shot him.
I said it would have been easier if he truly wanted GZ dead to shoot him (random stranger) vs staging scenerios and pretending a claim of self defense.
In other words HE COULD have been a stranger vs engaging GZ if the goal was murder. Hope that helps I'm getting a mite confused myself at this point.lol IMO

Okay...I'll try again. I was responding to a theory from other posters that thought it was possible that GZ was being set up. Some comments were along the line of a lot of crazies in the world and so on.
We then had a few that thought MA had been working to set GZ up and then claim self defense after he shot him.
I said it would have been easier if he truly wanted GZ dead to shoot him (random stranger) vs staging scenerios and pretending a claim of self defense.
In other words HE COULD have been a stranger vs engaging GZ if the goal was murder. Hope that helps I'm getting a mite confused myself at this point.lol IMO

If I understand you correctly, your saying that Apperson could have acted differently.

I'm sure he could have if he wanted to. Instead, he willfully drew his .357 and fired at Zimmerman knowing exactly who he was shooting at.

JMO

If I understand you correctly, your saying that Apperson could have acted differently.

I'm sure he could have if he wanted to. Instead, he willfully drew his .357 and fired at Zimmerman knowing exactly who he was shooting at.

JMO

Now we have to ask ourselves is it because he had reason to fire or was it because he wanted Zimmerman dead just because it was Zimmerman.
Yes I'm aware he was arrested but that happens as we well know without a person being found guilty.

I really doubt he called police to further a later claim of self defense. It is possible but not likely. IMO
At this point I don't trust MA or Zimmerman which is why I'm looking forward to any evidence.

Later all.

Interesting news today...

In Apperson's arrest report, which Local 6 obtained from the Seminole County Clerk of Courts, a Lake Mary police officer wrote, "During the investigation, I learned that Apperson has exhibited unusual behavior in which he had recently been admitted to a mental institution. It appears that Apperson has a fixation on Zimmerman and has displayed some signs of paranoia, anxiety, and bipolar disorder."

A Lake Mary Police spokesperson said the information came from family and friends but was not independently verified.

[...]

Mark Nejame, Apperson's former attorney, said he's referring Apperson's case to a colleague within his office and that he did not believe Apperson's mental health history should be publicly released.

[...]

A Lake Mary police spokesperson said it's now up to the state attorney's office to file charges after a thorough investigation that will likely include verifying Apperson's mental health history.

When Local 6 asked police why Apperson was allowed to have a loaded gun in his car if he was admitted to a mental health facility, Lake Mary Police spokesperson Bianca Gillett said,if law enforcement wasn't involved in getting Apperson to the mental health facility, law enforcement wouldn't have known he'd been there. Gillett said the facility cannot report the visit because of patient confidentiality rules.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/ar...-of-man-who-shot-at-george-zimmerman/33087854

Mark Nejame has jumped ship.

Mark Nejame, Apperson's former attorney, said he's referring Apperson's case to a colleague within his office and that he did not believe Apperson's mental health history should be publicly released.

http://m.clickorlando.com/news/arre...-of-man-who-shot-at-george-zimmerman/33087854

also...

In Apperson's arrest report, which Local 6 obtained from the Seminole County Clerk of Courts, a Lake Mary police officer wrote, "During the investigation, I learned that Apperson has exhibited unusual behavior in which he had recently been admitted to a mental institution. It appears that Apperson has a fixation on Zimmerman and has displayed some signs of paranoia, anxiety, and bipolar disorder."

A Lake Mary Police spokesperson said the information came from family and friends but was not independently verified.

That is interesting news. I wonder if MA was taking any meds for his issues.

Points out one of the gigantic holes in our gun laws. While folks with "mental issues" are supposed by the public to be unable to legally obtain weapons, this applies only to those who have been adjudicated by the court as presenting a "danger to self or others," which is not only a pretty high bar, most cases never go to court. Either individuals or their families seek help on their own, or join the invisible ranks of folks who are unable to cope or care for themselves bouncing around the streets, family homes or in jail for having committed other crimes without receiving a psych evaluation.

Points out one of the gigantic holes in our gun laws. While folks with "mental issues" are supposed by the public to be unable to legally obtain weapons, this applies only to those who have been adjudicated by the court as presenting a "danger to self or others," which is not only a pretty high bar, most cases never go to court. Either individuals or their families seek help on their own, or join the invisible ranks of folks who are unable to cope or care for themselves bouncing around the streets, family homes or in jail for having committed other crimes without receiving a psych evaluation.
That is exactly why background checks are useless and will never work!

That is exactly why background checks are useless and will never work!

Perhaps a background check with a required psych eval, raising the bar on training required to something that requires actual demonstration of skill, ability and judgment.

End of the day, I think we need a major cultural shift away from the notion that people who carry guns are safer than those who do not, or that society as a whole is somehow safer with more "good guys" carrying guns. Because, let's face it--we don't have a clue who the "good guys" really are.

Perhaps a background check with a required psych eval, raising the bar on training required to something that requires actual demonstration of skill, ability and judgment.

End of the day, I think we need a major cultural shift away from the notion that people who carry guns are safer than those who do not, or that society as a whole is somehow safer with more "good guys" carrying guns. Because, let's face it--we don't have a clue who the "good guys" really are.

I would prefer a major cultural shift away from the notion that people's constitutionally protected rights can be infringed upon so easily. America's freedoms are not based on punishing everyone or infringing on everyone's rights just because we don't know who the good guys really are.

I would prefer a major cultural shift toward locking up people like Apperson once they have engaged in violent, criminal acts as he has done, rather than letting them out to pose more danger to more innocent people.

Instead of punishing everyone, innocent and guilty alike, I would prefer to punish the guilty.

This may have been asked and answered. If so, I apologize.

Has GZ ever taken out a PFA against any people that threaten, harass or stalk him? He seems to be a lightening rod for controversy and aggression against him. It must be kinda scary, not even being able to drive in his truck, without someone threatening him.

This may have been asked and answered. If so, I apologize.

Has GZ ever taken out a PFA against any people that threaten, harass or stalk him? He seems to be a lightening rod for controversy and aggression against him. It must be kinda scary, not even being able to drive in his truck, without someone threatening him.

I believe he took out a protection order once, against a fiancé (prior to Shelly) who had taken one out on him following an accusation of domestic violence. Several other GFs have done the same since the trial.

I would suspect that Zimmerman's claims of ongoing death threats are more illusory than credible. While it is true that the New Black Panther Party (not to be confused with the original) put out some fliers advertising a bounty on his head, they were also quickly taken out of circulation (likely when they realized that there could be legal ramifications), and there are all kinds of rumblings in the form of folks who post on the internet, I think Apperson (if he truly was acting on a plan to off Z) is the first to actually exhibit intent, means and access.

And despite Z's claims to be living a secret life, unable to work or live normally due to ongoing dangers, he has frequently chosen to place himself in the public eye (making public appearances, going on the radio, etc) and continued to drive the same well-known vehicle--even asking cops who pull him over "don't you recognize me?" (Apperson also reported being asked the same thing). In short, I think GZ lives in fear of ghosts of his own imagination and his existing fear that white guys face ongoing dangers from the encroachment of black guys into their territory--far more than anything concrete for which he could obtain a protection order.

Apperson is just a figment of GZ's imagination.

Lake Mary PD @LakeMaryPD May 15 #Breaking Correction on Press Release,
Here is current release

https://twitter.com/AmyA1A/status/599349681064255488

City of Lake Mary Police Department 5/15/2015

Lake Mary Police Department's Investigation Results in Apperson's Arrest

City of Lake Mary: On 5/15/2015, the Lake Mary Police Department arrested Matthew Apperson on charges stemming from Monday's shooting incident. Mr.Apperson was charged with one count of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, one count of Aggravated Battery with a Deadly Weapon, and one count of firing a Deadly Weapon into an Occupied Conveyance. After conducting numerous interviews throughout the week, detectives determined that Mr. Apperson did intentionally fire his weapon into the vehicle occupied by George Zimmerman without provocation.

Mr. Apperson turned himself in to Lake Mary Police without incident early Friday evening and was transported to the John E. Polk Correctional Facility.

Wow, fired without provocation. I wonder when the trial will be.

Here is current release

City of Lake Mary: On 5/15/2015, the Lake Mary Police Department arrested Matthew Apperson on charges stemming from Monday's shooting incident. Mr.Apperson was charged with one count of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, one count of Aggravated Battery with a Deadly Weapon, and one count of firing a Deadly Weapon into an Occupied Conveyance. After conducting numerous interviews throughout the week, detectives determined that Mr. Apperson did intentionally fire his weapon into the vehicle occupied by George Zimmerman without provocation.

Mr. Apperson turned himself in to Lake Mary Police without incident early Friday evening and was transported to the John E. Polk Correctional Facility.

Wow is right!! Looks like Apperson is in big trouble. Florida has a mandatory minimum for aggravated assault if a firearm is used:

If an offender discharges a firearm or destructive device during the commission of an aggravated assault or battery, the mandatory minimum sentences required are:

Discharging any firearm or destructive device: minimum twenty years

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co.../felony-offense/assault-deadly-weapon-florida

Here is current release

I wonder why not Attempted Murder?

Apperson's arraignment is set for June 23rd. Here's what he's being charged with:

1. AGGRAV ASSLT-WEAPON-WITH A DEADLY WEAPON WITHOUT INTENT TO KILL
2. AGGRAV BATTERY-PERSON USES A DEADLY WEAPON
3. WEAPON OFFENSE-MISSILE INTO DWELLING, VEH, BUILDING, OR AIRCRAFT
http://www.seminoleclerk.org/CriminalDocket/case_detail.jsp?CaseNo=592015CF001381A

Count 1 is a third degree felony which carries a maximum 5 year prison term, and counts 2 and 3 are second degree felonies which each carry a maximum 15 year prison term:

784.021 Aggravated assault.—
1) An “aggravated assault” is an assault:
(a) With a deadly weapon without intent to kill;
or
(b) With an intent to commit a felony.
(2) Whoever commits an aggravated assault shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ute&URL=0700-0799/0784/Sections/0784.021.html

784.045 Aggravated battery.—
1)(a) A person commits aggravated battery who, in committing battery:
1. Intentionally or knowingly causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement; or
2. Uses a deadly weapon.
(b) A person commits aggravated battery if the person who was the victim of the battery was pregnant at the time of the offense and the offender knew or should have known that the victim was pregnant.
(2) Whoever commits aggravated battery shall be guilty of a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0784/Sections/0784.045.html

790.19 Shooting into or throwing deadly missiles into dwellings, public or private buildings, occupied or not occupied; vessels, aircraft, buses, railroad cars, streetcars, or other vehicles.
—Whoever, wantonly or maliciously, shoots at, within, or into, or throws any missile or hurls or projects a stone or other hard substance which would produce death or great bodily harm, at, within, or in any public or private building, occupied or unoccupied, or public or private bus or any train, locomotive, railway car, caboose, cable railway car, street railway car, monorail car, or vehicle of any kind which is being used or occupied by any person, or any boat, vessel, ship, or barge lying in or plying the waters of this state, or aircraft flying through the airspace of this state shall be guilty of a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...tute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.19.html

775.082 Penalties; applicability of sentencing structures; mandatory minimum sentences for certain reoffenders previously released from prison.—
(d) For a felony of the second degree, by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 15 years.
(e) For a felony of the third degree, by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0775/Sections/0775.082.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99