GUILTY FL - Lisa, 26, Zachary, 7, & Savannah Freiberg, 2, murdered, Lutz, 12 May 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Let's hope this monster hasn't changed his mind since yesterday. What time was court to begin today?

I don't think I heard a time. The judge wasn't sure when he could get a mental eval done. Either last night or this morning, and that has to be done before he can accept the plea.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 9m9 minutes ago
#EdwardCovington asked what he wants to do. Head down in his hands. not saying anything

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 8m8 minutes ago
#EdwardCovington "your honor, yesterday with the court and everybody witness is just one aspect of the mental illness i have and that

+"is impulsive behavior. But one of the biggest pet peaves I have, and always have is liars."

+"Statements were made yesteday that were entirely false." #EdwardCovington said

"Everybody in here heard a very emotional testimony. Then we heard an even worse 911 call."

"Then the individual was questioned by my counsel and failed to be truthful in the fact of how long our relationship out of 9 months I was +

+"seeing Lisa. We spent the holidays together. Her father showed me how to put a transmission in her truck."

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 7m7 minutes ago
+"I felt let down by my counsel...She wasn't giving the whole truth...trying to make it sound like she had no interaction with me."

"As a child you always show respect to your elders. Part of that was just being polite...I didn't punish Zachary if he failed."

#EdwardCovington defending his interactions with boy he says he killed and mutilated

Judge wants to know if #EdwardCovington wants to defend himself

"I will go with my counsel. I have to have a med change." "Stop talking," judge says. re-appoints public defenders to rep #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 6m6 minutes ago
Public defender Julianne Holt says she wants to talk to #EdwardCovington. Let his parents talk to him re guilty plea

Judge going to lock courtroom to let lawyers and family talk to #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 6m6 minutes ago
Judge Fuente clearing courtroo #EdwardCovington to talk to lawyers re whether to plead guilty

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 2m2 minutes ago
Recap: #EdwardCovington changed mind about lawyers. Judge reappointed public defenders to rep him. Now talking re whether to plead guilty
bbm

#EdwardCovington talking in private with lawyers and family about whether to plead guilty. Said he was impulsive yesterday
bbm

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 46s46 seconds ago
Public defender says ##EdwardCovington about to "tender pleas to the court."

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 13s13 seconds ago
Julianne Holt says doc found #EdwardCovington incompetent to waive mitigation.
bbm

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 40s41 seconds ago
PD says she believes #EdwardCovington competent to plead guilty. Yesterday was impulsive. but he's wanted to do this for awhile

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 28s28 seconds ago
PD filing official plea form with the court to allow #EdwardCovington to plead guilty.
bbm

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 37s37 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington intends to waive jury for phase 2, penalty phase, and have judge hear all 2nd phase testimony
bbm

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 35s35 seconds ago
Judge Fuente says #EdwardCovington entitled to second phase with jury to hear evidence and recommend sentence.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 21s22 seconds ago
PD Julianne Holt says she has a form #EdwardCovington signed waiving his right to a jury for 2nd phase.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 37s38 seconds ago
Judge says he has discretion re jury. #EdwardCovington. First, wants to go through plea.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 49s50 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington being questioned re plea. 42 years old.

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 2m2 minutes ago
Covington is pleading guilty to 3 counts of first-degree murder, 3 counts of abuse of a dead human body, and one count of animal cruelty.
bbm

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 4s4 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington says he understands he has a right to a trial and to defend himself and present witnesses.

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 19s20 seconds ago
Fuente warns that by pleading guilty, Covington is giving up the right to appeal. Covington quietly agrees.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 56s57 seconds ago
"If you plead guilty today, you're going to waive all that. All those issues are gone forever. Do you understand?" yes sir

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 27s28 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington says he was born in Jacksonville, Fl. Is a U.S. citizen.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 10s11 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington says he's satisfied with his lawyers, whom he wanted to fire yesterday.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO now4 seconds ago
"The insanity issue is waived forever, do you understand that?" judge asks #EdwardCovington . Yes sir.
bbm

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 1m1 minute ago
#EdwardCovington says he understands a death sentence is a real possiblity

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 22s23 seconds ago
Prosecutor says no forensic evidence the offenses were sexual in nature, but an expert opinion "touches upon that." #EdwardCovington

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 21s22 seconds ago
Judge Fuente: "Before I accept your plea, do you have any questions of me sir?" Covington: “No sir”

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 28s29 seconds ago
Prosecutor giving factual basis re #EdwardCovington crimes. Asks judge to also rely on testimony given already in trial and pretrial

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 12s13 seconds ago
Victims last seen alive May 10, 2008, at home of Tom Fish's mother. next morning, #EdwardCovington left voicemail on ex wife machine

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 14s15 seconds ago
Voicemail said he was in trouble and ex wife needed to call him. The following day, Monday, victims were found in mobile home dead.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 3s4 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington found inside the house and removed.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 49s49 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington said had taken a number of pills. Medically cleared and taken to hospital. Crime scene tech took swabs from hands and feet

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 35s36 seconds ago
DNA of 2 of victims found under #EdwardCovington's fingernails. Leaving scene, he said, "I can't believe what I have done."

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 27s27 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington taken to sheriff's office, admitted to killing the three victims.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 22s22 seconds ago
Evidence and expert testimony: Heather Savannah died from cut to neck, all major vessels of neck. Before that, the 2 year old +

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 10s10 seconds ago
+ received sevl injuries, blunt impact to forehead, cheeks, nose, lips, chin, thighs, buttocks.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 41s41 seconds ago
+both of 2 year olds thigh bones were broken while alive. also cut to head, cheek, left nose, forehead. head. #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 15s16 seconds ago
After 2 year-old was dead, she was decapitated. blade wounds to cheek and neck. One of her legs was severed from her body at hip joint.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 13s14 seconds ago
Blunt impact to neck and face, consistent with use of hammer. #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 5s6 seconds ago
Regarding the mom: died of cut to neck, transection of tracchea, esophogas, artery. #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 19s20 seconds ago
Before death, Lisa Freiberg suffered: blunt to head, consistent with hammer, chin lips, cheek, orbital region, forehead, arms, tooth knocked

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 11s11 seconds ago
+shoulds and chest. after death, cut to stomach.. Defense wounds to fingers and webbing of her hand. showing struggle

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 12s13 seconds ago
+crescent wound on head. consistent with hammer found at scene. stab wounds to chest, thighs and area above genitalia

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 9s10 seconds ago
Zachary died of multiple stab wounds to chest and through his back. while alive, blade wound to his buttocks. knife broke off, leaving blade
bbm

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 18s19 seconds ago
+Zachary, 7, had more stab wounds after blade left in wound. additional stab wounds to head, ear and jaw while alive

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 7s8 seconds ago
+after death, Zachary hammer to head. cut wound around entire neck, attempted dicapitation.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 8s8 seconds ago
#Zachary after death, fractured ribs. cut to the heart. each of the victims suffered extreme blood loss, prosecutor says

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 15s16 seconds ago
Med examiner would expect assailant to be virtually covered with blood. #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 11s12 seconds ago
No blood in sink or bath or kitchen sink, even though defendant was not covered in blood when found. #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 6s7 seconds ago
Prosecutor says #EdwardCovington found some other way to clean himself off. Not clear what that means

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 5s5 seconds ago
Prosecutor says 2 forensic psychiatrists state hired say #EdwardCovington was not insane at time of offense.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO now5 seconds ago
Defendant asked Zachary if he wanted to go with his mother, who was done. he muttered something. #EdwardCovington started stabbing

Recorded confession available for court and jury to hear. #EdwardCovington prosecutor says

#EdwardCovington says disputes. "Yes I'm responsible for the 3 deaths. the manner in which that was just laid out are not exactly accurate"

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 14s15 seconds ago
"To the best of my recollection, i told Lisa, something was wrong I had to get out. She made a statement to the effect, 'let me go and +

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 30s30 seconds ago
+I'll get out." somewhere lisa and i ended up on the floor and i was on top choking her and that is how she died."

"My next recollection is stabbing savannah over and over in the chest cavity and then ending up in Zachary's room+

"I remember stabbing him first in the front and then in the back and then collapsing in the room on the bottom bunk."

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 50s51 seconds ago
"I remember stabbing him first in the front and then in the back and then collapsing in the room on the bottom bunk."

"When i regained consciousness, I was not sure what was going on. I did place a call to my ex wife... the statement i believe i made was, +

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 31s32 seconds ago
"please call. i think something's going on. i don';t know if it;s real or not. I might be in trouble. I dont know whats going on"

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 28s28 seconds ago
"After that phone call, i remember having a conversation with Lisa about feeding the dog. I dont know how long this conversation lasted+

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 31s32 seconds ago
"But she was already dead. I remember getting some dog food and saying if you'll quit talking, i'll go ahead and feed the dog."

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 26s27 seconds ago
"My body coordination was not cooperating. I would want to do something and I could not do it."

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 27s27 seconds ago
"Either the dog food bag tore or fell over... that may be why Lisa may have been covered in dog food."

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 19s20 seconds ago
"I know at some point, i did decapitate Savannah, but that was well after her death. that is also when i ripped her apart.+

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 14s14 seconds ago
"If any broken bones happened, it was after her death. there were no hammers being used....I only remember 2 stab wounds to zachary+

"One in the back and one in the front... any other injuries that occurred to Zachary, that was after death." #EdwardCovington says

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 3m3 minutes ago
Prosecutor talking about the killing of the family dog. Neighbor on roof next door and saw #EdwardCovington in excess of 10 downward strikin

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 3m3 minutes ago
+motions with his arm. each time, heard a yelp or howl of a dog. Duke's body found on the floor of Heather Savannah's bedroom.

Medical examiner found cut wounds and blunt impact wounds to dog's head and snout. #EdwardCovington

"Yes sir. I acknowledge responsibility for the death of Heather Savannah, Lisa and Zachary and also the animal," #EdwardCovington says

#EdwardCovington says neighbor is not credible. the vantage point is obscured, he says.

#EdwardCovington asks why neighbor didn't call 911 when he saw this.

"Duke was the last victim. I do remember pulling down the entertainment center."

#EdwardCovington says he thinks the neighbor's testimony is false and exaggerated

Judge finds #EdwardCovington guilty of all counts.
bbm

#EdwardCovington has pleaded guilty to 3 counts of murder, 3 counts of abuse of a body and 1 count of animal abuse. @TBOcom

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 26s26 seconds ago
Now judge determining whether to dismiss jury for 2nd phase - deciding whether #EdwardCovington should be sentenced to death

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 29s29 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington says he wants judge, not jury, to decide. "You'd also be listening to the same aggravating circumstances."

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 29s30 seconds ago
Judge impresses on #EdwardCovington the importance of the jury's role

"This jury would have to have a majority. They don't have to be unanimous," #EdwardCovington says.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 16s17 seconds ago
Yes. If jury split 6-6, recommendation would be life. #EdwardCovington now talking to his lawyers.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 22s23 seconds ago
"I understand the importance of a jury and their recommendation and how it weighs on your decision, but given the makeup of this jury+

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 13s13 seconds ago
"I do not feel confident of it. I feel more confident of your decision," #EdwardCovington tells judge. waiving a jury for 2nd phase

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 50s51 seconds ago
"You want me to decide completely?" judge asks #EdwardCovington. Yes sir. "I believe I will get a more fair judgment from you"

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 32s32 seconds ago
Prosecutor says he has to change gears in witness. wants to return Nov. 3. a day to day and a half to present case. #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 17s17 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington defense agrees, Will need more than a day and a half for defense case.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 29s30 seconds ago
Defense lawyer Michael Peacock says all counsel agree to the plea, believe #EdwardCovington is competent.

Judge says they will recess until Nov. 3. "I understand that things can happen and there may be a change of heart" re 2nd phase

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 37s38 seconds ago
Judge suggests bringing jury back. Tell them #EdwardCovingon has pleaded guilty. Their servies may be needed. stay away from media

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 47s47 seconds ago
"I think that's a wise and cautious decision." prosecutor says. Defense agrees. #EdwardCovingon

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 16s16 seconds ago
Judge bringing jury back Monday. Scheduled sentencing hearing Nov. 3. going to tentatively tell jurors to come back that day.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 25s26 seconds ago
#EdwardCovington court in recess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926