FL FL - Osteen, BlkMale 2660UMFL, 46-60, nude, decapitated and dragged behind car, Jul'92

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Fuuro

spicy user
Reaction score
The Doe Network: 2660UMFL
Case File: 2660UMFL

The Doe Network
No_Image_Available_male.jpg

Unidentified Male
  • Date of Discovery: July 17, 1992
  • Location of Discovery: Osteen, Volusia County, Florida
  • Estimated Date of Death: Days prior
  • State of Remains: Not recognizable - Traumatic injuries
  • Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

• Estimated Age: 46-60 years old
  • Race: Black
  • Height: 6'0" to 6'2"
  • Weight: 144 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Unknown
  • Eye Color: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: About two weeks' growth of gray beard on his neck. Uncircumcised. Suffered from cardiovascular disease. Medium build. A well-healed 2 1/2" surgical scar about two inches above the navel. A half-inch by quarter-inch scar on the left side of his abdomen. He had open sores and discolored skin on his lower legs. He also had a foam pad attached to the skin of his right lower leg. The man's toes were thickened and misshapen by an infection. Most of both hands had been cut off.
  • Dentals: Not available.
  • Fingerprints: Available - palm and thumb print.
  • DNA: Available.
Clothing & Personal Items
  • Clothing: None.

• Jewelry: None.

• Additional Personal Items: None.

Case History
Residents driving through the southwest Volusia area found the victim's nude body at Maytown Road near Gobler's Lodge Road in a rural area five miles east of Osteen.

His head and hands were missing and have never been recovered. He had a cord tied around his ankles and it appeared he had been dragged behind a vehicle.

In 2007, the investigation revealed the victim may be from South Florida, but an official identification has not been made.

Investigating Agency(s)
If you have any information about this case please contact;

• Agency Name: District 7 Medical Examiner's Office
  • Agency Contact Person: Joseph Mullin
  • Agency Phone Number: 386-258-4060
  • Agency Case Number: 1992-00397
  • NCIC Case Number: N/A
  • NamUs Case Number: UP #1150
  • Former Hot Case Number: 838
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source(s)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I learned of this case when researching another case from Volusia County. I had never heard of this UID before, and I have to say, this case is pretty disturbing.

The distinguishing characteristics, like the open sores on his legs, his severe foot infection, and the foam pad (makeshift gauze/bandage?) on his right lower leg all show that this person was in poor physical condition when he was still alive and probably didn't enjoy a high quality of life. I think that there's a strong chance that he was homeless. If that's the case, I really think that this could have been a case of "bum bashing" and that he could have been targeted by a random person or a group of random people for next to no reason.

These conditions could also suggest some sort of abuse or neglect in the home. Maybe someone got tired of taking care of their sick relative and wanted to "get rid" of him. Speaking relatively to other cases of that nature, he is still a bit young, though, and his health conditions don't seem to be so debilitating that he would be bedridden or otherwise incapable of taking care of himself.

Last edited:
Using the lost/found tool from RevealNews (which is no longer updated), I can see Harry Brown and Johnny Campbell as rule-outs here.

Emory Brunson is not on the rule-out list, and somewhat matches the description, but overall there's very little to compare. He's also from the panhandle, not south Florida as suspected:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:
Oh my, this is horrible!
I think that there's a strong chance that he was homeless. If that's the case, I really think that this could have been a case of "bum bashing" and that he could have been targeted by a random person or a group of random people for next to no reason.
My first thought was that this was a hate crime (rascism), or perhaps an act of revenge?

I have a NamUS account and I confirmed that there aren't any ruleouts besides Harry Brown and Johnny Campbell. Personally, I think there's a high chance that this is an unreported missing case.

Oh my, this is horrible!
My first thought was that this was a hate crime (rascism), or perhaps an act of revenge?

This case reminds me a bit of the infamous James Byrd case, but I'm not sure if the victim was dead before or after being dragged by the car. It definitely seems like there was some sort of personal "beef" or serious animosity between the killer and this UID, so revenge would also make sense. For what it's worth, I am still very confused about what kind of life this person was leading before he was killed.

Sad, sad story- both the way he seemed to have lived and the way he died. It’s scary to know that ‘human beings’ did this to someone, and that they are probably still walking around today. As we always say, someone knows something, even if they were not directly involved. I don’t know how they can live with themselves. I’m not particularly religious, but I’m spiritual enough to be afraid of what karma would be dealing out.

The surgical scar is possibly a hernia repair scar. I was thinking maybe an abdominal aortic aneurysm scar but those are usually extend further down the abdomen. Either of those surgeries would suggest he had medical insurance because neither of them are typically emergent. His legs sound like he had peripheral vascular disease and likely diabetes. The foam pad on his leg could be a foam dressing pad which is commonly used (so may not be a makeshift dressing). Foam dressings are more expensive than a gauze dressing. They usually run about 5-25 dollars each depending on the size of the foam dressing and if there is anything in it like silver or another medication.

MOO.

“In 2007, the investigation revealed the victim may be from South Florida, but an official identification has not been made.”

Wondering how this was determined. Pollen on the body? Hospital patients with this type of wound that had foam bandages? Males reported missing in July 1992?

“His head and hands were missing and have never been recovered. He had a cord tied around his ankles and it appeared he had been dragged behind a vehicle.”

Removing hands sound “old school” so fingerprints couldn’t be matched.

It may not have been a vehicle. Perhaps an ATV because it was so rural?

Looking at this rural area on Zillow. It is still predominately rural.

There’s one house built in the 1980s in the north west corner of the intersection of Maytown Rd & Goblers Lodge Rd.

There’s one house built in the 1990s in the north east corner of the intersection of Maytown Rd & Goblers Lodge Rd.

There’s a few old houses south of Maytown Rd, mainly small places, 900 sq ft, built in the 50s & 60s.

Attachments

• 758CB9A4-9311-473C-9ABB-21350A2D58E9.jpeg
    758CB9A4-9311-473C-9ABB-21350A2D58E9.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 4
Thank you all for chiming in. I'm glad that this thread has been so popular, especially considering how little information is out there on this case.

The surgical scar is possibly a hernia repair scar. I was thinking maybe an abdominal aortic aneurysm scar but those are usually extend further down the abdomen. Either of those surgeries would suggest he had medical insurance because neither of them are typically emergent. His legs sound like he had peripheral vascular disease and likely diabetes. The foam pad on his leg could be a foam dressing pad which is commonly used (so may not be a makeshift dressing). Foam dressings are more expensive than a gauze dressing. They usually run about 5-25 dollars each depending on the size of the foam dressing and if there is anything in it like silver or another medication.

MOO.

Wow, you just provided a lot of insight that I definitely did not have. This makes me view the victim in a different light. I'm starting to think that he may not have been homeless or in dire financial straits, although anything is possible and there is still so much that we don't know. If he did have a home, income, and healthcare insurance, I think it's even more likely that this was a personal crime and that he wasn't just "out there".

“In 2007, the investigation revealed the victim may be from South Florida, but an official identification has not been made.”

Wondering how this was determined. Pollen on the body? Hospital patients with this type of wound that had foam bandages? Males reported missing in July 1992?

The wording of that particular line suggests to me that they might have an actual name (as in, a potential match) that was never able to be verified.

“His head and hands were missing and have never been recovered. He had a cord tied around his ankles and it appeared he had been dragged behind a vehicle.”

Removing hands sound “old school” so fingerprints couldn’t be matched.

It may not have been a vehicle. Perhaps an ATV because it was so rural?
The dismemberment strikes me as odd and doesn't really fit into the theory that he was homeless and was attacked by random people. It makes me think that whoever did this knew the victim and did not want that link to be revealed. Perhaps this person was aware that the UID had a criminal history or that they had been fingerprinted by an agency for some other reason.

As for the ATV idea, I did note that the use of "vehicle" suggested that he might not have been dragged by a car. I wonder how extensively damaged the body was as a result of being dragged. It could tell us how fast the driver was going and perhaps, what kind of vehicle they were driving.

MOO.

Quoting myself to add:

He still could be homeless but if so he likely was at the hospital recently then (if it is a foam dressing on his leg). 1992 was before I became a nurse so not too sure if home care was big back then or not but if he wasn’t homeless it could suggest that he was either in the hospital, seen a doctor, or had a home care nurse visit recently before his death. I’ve seen foam dressings stick for up to 2 weeks but I don’t think they would stay on much longer than that especially on a leg. A lot of times they only will stick to the skin for about 5 days.

I don’t think he was homeless but he very well could have been. I’ve seen legs and feet as described many many times all of which were on people who lived in a home.

Those are all just my opinions and likely won’t help find out who he is but I just wanted to put it out there. Hopefully he gets his name back. What was done to him is horrifying.

This would be a good case to submit to Parabon DNA labs. The could put in the DNA and get a facial reconstruction on him. Also for GED match. I know that is on hold for now, but it would help them locate relatives. Our guy is currently getting his DNA profile done, not sure how long it will be, but who knows.

I just stumbled upon another thread about a skull that was found in Osteen in 2017. The address at which the skull was located is roughly 15-20 minutes away from where thread topic UID's remains were discovered.

As far as I know, they haven't been able to narrow down any demographic information about the skull (such race, sex, or age), and the fact that it was found nearly 25 years after the thread topic UID was located makes me very skeptical that the remains belong to the same person. Still, I found this very interesting.

Hernando County Sheriff's Office
We have a skull for B/M but I don't know how old the skull is but most likely he is from here, maybe homeless.

This man was found, well just a partial skull, no teeth so can't get enough DNA to do the full profile, but this is what USF created for a facial reconstruction. He was found in 2000.

Attachments

• 2000-08205 USF10-010 facial final.jpg
    2000-08205 USF10-010 facial final.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 10

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members