FL - Sarah Boone, 42, charged with murdering boyfriend Jorge Torres, 42, by leaving him locked in suitcase, Winter Park, Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It appears her new atty needs more time and has requested it. Let's see if the judge hangs tough.
Unbelievable. Much as I hate to think, I don’t think he can deny the request. But IANAL. Thinking if it puts the new attorney at a disadvantage, which could well be argued, the (insert your favorite words here)…. of their client can’t be held against them. And would probably be a key appellate issue?

So, did the client SB finally realize she dug a hole too deep she can’t fill? What a circus of disgust for the legal system. SMH. MOO

According to court records, Boone is now being represented by an attorney named James Owens.
[snip]
According to court records, the defense council was retained after responding to Boone's advertisement, something the woman drew up shortly after parting with a different attorney.

"Looking for a prosperous challenge? Ready for your close-up on nat'l television? Are you zealous with a side of keen," the flier read.

https://www.wesh.com/article/sarah-boone-new-attorney-again-suitcase-murder/62018124

Hoping for no further delays. I would assume Mr. Owens is ready for his close-up.

James Owens Attorney at Law | Milton, FL

If I recall correctly, the judge already told her no more delays -- even if she managed to get another attorney.
Exxxaaccttllyyy.

And, I quote —
“This case SHALL REMAIN SPECIALLY SET FOR TRIAL for the two week trial period beginning Monday, October 7, 2024 and will not be continued for any reason, except by extraordinarily good cause and such extraordinarily good cause shall not include retention of counsel by the Defendant.”

End quote.
Directly from the court order.

See:

Exxxaaccttllyyy.

And, I quote —
“This case SHALL REMAIN SPECIALLY SET FOR TRIAL for the two week trial period beginning Monday, October 7, 2024 and will not be continued for any reason, except by extraordinarily good cause and such extraordinarily good cause shall not include retention of counsel by the Defendant.”

End quote.

See:

Right! Thank you for finding exactly where the judge said that.

SB has an attorney...

Interesting choice of words here -- defense council implies a group. Curious what group would respond to SB's hand drawn advert. JMO

ETA: Guess not -- name is James Owens.

Friday, Boone requested a motion of continuance to push the trial date from Oct. 7. She also retained new legal counsel with James Owens, of James Owens Attorney at Law, who court documents show had met with Boone four times at the Orange County jail between Aug. 20 and 27.

8/30/24

According to the motion, this evidence reportedly includes photos, videos, calendars, text messages, notes, and contact information for witnesses that could support Boone's "Battered Spouse Syndrome" defense.

In addition to this evidence, the defense has identified several potential expert witnesses covering a range of possible defenses and is vetting additional experts as directed by interested parties.

Earlier this week, Boone filed a motion to have her case dismissed, citing her constitutional right to a speedy trial, which was denied by the judge, court documents show.

ETA: Defense Motion for Continuance pgs 1-3 at the news link

Wait.

Who needs a Battered Wife Defense for Hide-n-Seek? I thought they were just playing?

How many days until JO, esq regrets his decision?

It's like a circus wrapped in a circus and it all quite ignores that a man lost his life because she left him to suffocate in a suitcase so she could sleep.

It's time for trial.

No more delays.

JMO

Exxxaaccttllyyy.

And, I quote —

End quote.

See:

I believe this pertained to defendant obtaining an agency public defender but would not apply to private counsel who provides good cause for Motioning for a Continuance which Owens appeared to address on page 3 of the 8/30/24 Motion: See Memorandum of Law

Defense Motion

ETA: Just heard Attorney Peter confirm the same..

Last edited:
The question is would it be legally unreasonable for the judge to refuse some extra time for a new lawyer to catch up on case notes? I think it could be, JMO IANAL.
Also IANAL but I disagree. The mere fact that the judge has already established on the record that she will not be granted a continuance due to retention of counsel makes it legally reasonable for the judge to refuse it.

The 9th lawyer.

Pro-bono for publicity?
Getting paid?
Does Boone have a fan base/fundraiser?

Per Owens' MFC, he does cite SB indigent and his intent to depend on govt funds to pay experts. Other than stating he was retained by SB, he does not address the terms except for the following:

9. ...JAC ministerial hurdles which must be cleared when dealing with an indigent Defendant.

10. Notice of Intent to rely on the Battered Spouse Syndrome Defense must be filed 30 days before trial. The notice must be filed by September 7, 8 days away.

11. The defendant has been deemed indigent for costs. The defense will need government funds to assist in paying the experts in this field.

[..]

Please see Motion linked up thread by OP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindzk86
Back