FL - Sarah Boone, 42, charged with murdering boyfriend Jorge Torres, 42, by leaving him locked in suitcase, Winter Park, Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They were not married so how can she claim Battered Wife?

The definition is broader than that. It is battered spouse, battered wife, battered partner, intimate partner violence, domestic violence.
Torres and Boone have a domestic violence history that is documented in police reports and could be presented as evidence to support a battered partner claim. People who may have seen and/or were told about the violence could possibly be subpoenaed.

2 Cents

Her attorney may be arguing that angle, but it doesn’t make much sense to me. The judge’s ruling says that SB has forfeited her right to court-appointed counsel and then essentially goes on to say that her trial will continue as scheduled in October and won’t be delayed due to the retention of counsel. So if the court is saying she’s forfeited her right to court-appointed counsel… the only counsel she could possibly retain would be private, no? Color me confused.
Been reading here for a while. Your comment resonates. Imo a continuance will put all involved back on the same hamster wheel once again, and minus specific judicial boundaries and conditions, the outcome (based on past defendant behaviour and attorney-defendant dynamic)is predictable. Moo

Judge will need to do something to stop the crazy making. Seems he may be pushed into a corner despite the safeguards he established. If I was this judge I would allow a continuance of 30 days for the new defence to make notice of the DV defence as per law ( IIUC what I read here) maximum, get the trial started ASAP. Appellate issues are for the future, this cannot be allowed to go on ad infinitum. Moo.

Prosecution should complain to whatever authority is available and appeal any judicial decision to continue trial for greater than 30 days. There should be conditions written into the 30 day continuance whereby the new counsel is not permitted to withdraw. Jmo. If SB fires him, trial continues on the same date as specified in the hypothetical order I am imagining. Jmo and my fantasy outcome to this development. INAL obviously.

Wait.

Who needs a Battered Wife Defense for Hide-n-Seek? I thought they were just playing?

How many days until JO, esq regrets his decision?

It's like a circus wrapped in a circus and it all quite ignores that a man lost his life because she left him to suffocate in a suitcase so she could sleep.

It's time for trial.

No more delays.

JMO

In the audio recording from LE inside the car after SB had been arrested for taking in to questioning, she said they had been playing 'hide and seek' but she believed Jorge hadn't come to look for her. These are *not* her exact words but she tells the police one sentence that is key and vital "You didn't come look for me... I'm going to zip you in!".

I only recently found that footage on a youtuber video and it's been much overlooked by commentators and sleuths IMO.

I think it answers the question of how JT got in the case in the first place. They played 'hide and seek', he hid inside the case. SB was so drunk and disorderly she also went and hid, in the impression that JT was going to look for her. He didn't 'seek' because he was also 'hiding'. After waiting a long time hiding and feeling irritated and enraged, SB left her hiding place and realised he was in the case. She then maybe sat on top of him and zipped him in. That is my speculation based on the audio.

JMO MOO

The 9th lawyer.

Pro-bono for publicity?

Getting paid?
Does Boone have a fan base/fundraiser?

Pro bono for what though? There's no way she or anyone can win this case IMO

Best outcome for her is to claim chronic alcoholism and substance misuse, blackout rampage, mental health struggles and longstanding victim of violence, then a plea deal so she might be able to see the light of day again.

JMO IANAL

Reactions: byo
If she has counsel, does she lose her privileges of discovery access/laptop and shacklelessness?

June 2000

Abused women who live in fear for their lives and who ultimately kill their abuser may suffer from battered spouse syndrome. Battered spouse syndrome is created by a cycle of physical abuse within a relationship. Typically, there are three phases in a cycle. Phase one involves minor battering incidents, verbal abuse, and attempts by the woman to placate the man. Phase two involves an “acute battering incident” where the woman is severely beaten. Phase three is one of contrition and loving behavior on the part of the male, which reinforces the woman’s hope for her mate’s reform. Some time later, phase one begins again. The cumulative effect of this cycle of abuse is that the woman becomes perpetually fearful of the man and feels helpless to improve her situation. Killing her abuser becomes her only escape from the relationship.

In the first Florida case to mention battered spouse syndrome, the First District Court of Appeal in Hawthorne v. State, 408 So. 2d 801 (Fla. 1st DCA 1982), ruled to allow testimony by Dr. Lenore Walker to explain the reasonableness of the defendant’s belief that she was in imminent danger, if the trial court decided that, “Dr. Walker is qualified and that the subject is sufficiently developed and can support an expert opinion.” In most cases where evidence of battered spouse syndrome is admitted, it is solely for this limited purpose. Battered spouse syndrome is only a small part of the traditionally narrow self-defense doctrine. It is not, itself, a complete defense.

To justify homicide under any claim of self defense, a defendant must establish the presence of three elements:

1) the defendant believed she must use force against an imminent threat of harm;
2) the amount of force used was proportionate to the threatened harm; and
3) the defendant retreated to the greatest degree reasonably possible.

Evidence that a woman suffers from battered spouse syndrome addresses part one of this standard, namely, whether the woman honestly feared for her life.

Part three of this tripartite self defense standard, the duty to retreat, is inapplicable in a defendant’s own home because of the so-called “castle doctrine,” or privilege of nonretreat. The castle doctrine provides that if an assailant threatens a victim with violence in the victim’s own home, the victim may turn aggressor without any duty of retreat, and still be able to justify his actions by claiming self defense.

This theory is premised on the notion that “a man’s home is his castle,” hence the name “castle doctrine.” Justice Cardozo explained, “It is not now and never has been the law that a man assailed in his own dwelling is bound to retreat. If assailed there, he may stand his ground and resist the attack. He is under no duty to take to the fields and the highways, a fugitive from his own home.” Florida, and most other states, has adopted the castle doctrine exception to self defense’s duty to retreat. Yet, the castle doctrine is not absolute.

I think it answers the question of how JT got in the case in the first place. They played 'hide and seek', he hid inside the case. SB was so drunk and disorderly she also went and hid, in the impression that JT was going to look for her. He didn't 'seek' because he was also 'hiding'. After waiting a long time hiding and feeling irritated and enraged, SB left her hiding place and realised he was in the case. She then maybe sat on top of him and zipped him in. That is my speculation based on the audio.
^^rsbm

Thanks for OP's insight on how JT may have ultimately become zipped inside the suitcase.

However, I don't think this explains the most prevalent video available (previously posted here) which was taken by SB where JT is zipped inside the suitcase, and pleading for SB to help free him because he can't breathe and is in distress.

It seemed to me that SB was recording the interaction between the couple while SB was seated across the room (not sitting on the suitcase). SB is slurring her words during the conversation so I agree that she's under the influence but I disagree that JT not "seeking SB" was the reason she left him inside the suitcase to suffocate to death.

And I also disagree that SB denied assisting JT to free himself from the suitcase because she feared for her life (i.e., battered spouse syndrome defense). JMO

ETA: See video released by Florida State Attorney's Office in post #809

Last edited:
The Florida State Attorney's Office released video allegedly recorded on Boone's cell phone that appears to show a conversation between her and Torres.

Jul 11, 2023 #SarahBoone #crime #FOX35Orlando

Content warning: This video may be graphic and disturbing to some. Sarah Boone is accused of killing her boyfriend, Jorge Torres Jr., in Feb. 2020 inside their home in Winter Park, Florida, after allegedly locking him inside a suitcase. Boone told deputies that she and Torres were playing a game of hide-and-seek and that she fell asleep. When she woke up, she said she found her boyfriend dead in the suitcase.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanamburga
Back