FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding DNA, would we assume that if there is a lot of DNA on a victim, they will run it all, and then would they not try to rule out persons based on their proximity, motive, etc.? They can save the matches and later on in investigation if there is other evidence (even hearsay) to connect a perp to the victim, they can BINGO with the DNA?

Morning Chickenpants,

I wanted to comment on the BBM "run it all" -- I don't think they run it all at one time and with every case unless they have an exact plan mapped out where they can look at everything they have and know where to go with it. I think it is more step by step for CONCLUSIVE tests and then the pre-lims of course which sometimes are not enough to make a determination esp if the DNA is that of someone Somer would have been in close contact with!!! It is MUCH harder to nail down that smoking gun if it is a fingernails or external DNA match because it could be argued and discredited in court without other evidence to back it up - such as lack of alibi, caught lying and contradicting.... However, sperm presence I think would make this 100% move at a faster pace - this is why I question whether or not she was assaulted sexually.

Another case I have worked on I have the privvy to having all the inside info of what is happending regarding the case, lack of arrest and DNA processing - it has been over a year and they are still processing the DNA as it was very little and they have to be VERY careful with what they recovered. - the decision was made NOT to run it all at one time. When and if to run the next test was a HUGE decision by LE- The person who would have killed the victim would be someone she was in VERY close contact with - making this complicate the case as far as making an arrest (need to have ALL DUCKS in row as complicated) and of course have all evidence to back up in court to get a conviction.

I think there is something complicated going on here. I also think if this was a 'stranger' perp - there would be more pressers about public safety and asking for continued public help.

I seriously doubt LE asked her not to view Somer. I think perhaps it was her psychologist. Or maybe she didn't feel she could handle seeing her child dead.

Nope. It was at LE recommendations. Not a physician. Not the funeral home. Not EVEN for a private viewing. NOT just for the public.

According to her statements, she drove to OPAA to pick up AC first. Then she added in one of the videos "he was already down there looking."

Yes, BUT BUT BUT - Sad, didn't you say AC usually went to the park to skate and that is where ST thought she just went because she knew he would be there??? Interesting about already looking - UNLESS of course she was in contact with AC by text or phone and said Somer was missing and he was at the park looking for her??? Who know - so little facts.

Nope. It was at LE recommendations. Not a physician. Not the funeral home. Not EVEN for a private viewing. NOT just for the public.

She first said that LE won't allow her to see Somer. Then it was not recommended. I don't believe any of it. If the first is lie, I can't believe what she later said. I wonder why ST didn't view either. LE don't recommend to view or not to view. Does that even make sense?

Was Diena asked not to view Somer's body or was it recommended that she not see Somer's body?

And is there a difference?

Was Diena asked not to view Somer's body or was it recommended that she not see Somer's body?

Sad, can you comment on the same question but regarding what was asked of ST???

NSC, I also wondered whether other family members (grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins) had asked and been deterred by LE and/or funeral home personnel.

I am not closed to the idea of LE saying Somer body was found in landfill when she was not. But I think that might be a stretch. I am not opposed to LE thinking or having information that body is in dumpster or getting a tip - then following to landfill. Unless, this is such a complicated matter that they are really trying to trip up family?? I don't see it easy need to hear more about it!!! LE technically CANT tell media to stay away - they could have easily reported outside the dump -- you know FREEDOM of PRESS!!! You need a judge order to gag the press from reporting on something I believe - I know that is true in a court case. I have a journalist I work with on another case, I will ask him if they are ever asked or requested not to report on something and what kind of measures would be taken in this respect??

http://www.policeone.com/health-fit...-identification-for-law-enforcement-officers/

Unless there is a legal requirement for identification or a security restriction, let survivors make the choice as to whether or not they want to view their loved one’s remains. Some family members may be anxious or intimidated about making or declining such a request or expressing their wishes, so ask them directly. In cases where it is forensically essential to involve the family in the identification process, be sure to provide the appropriate support.

Family members may want to touch the deceased. For some, it may be a way of beginning to accept the reality of the death, a way of finally saying goodbye. If the victim’s body is mutilated, dismembered, burned, decomposed, or disintegrated, identification may have to be made through dental records, personal effects, or other artifacts. Explain to the family members why this is necessary and give them the choice of whether or not to view or touch the remains.

NSC, I also wondered whether other family members (grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins) had asked and been deterred by LE and/or funeral home personnel.

I think this is a giant mind game. I know you don't think mom has anything to do with this - I respect that! On the chance that she did - maybe LE told her someting to make her think they are not looking at her to give some weird explanation to what happend or didnt happend and suggest not to see her?? I don't know now I am CONFUSING myself!!!

Yes, BUT BUT BUT - Sad, didn't you say AC usually went to the park to skate and that is where ST thought she just went because she knew he would be there??? Interesting about already looking - UNLESS of course she was in contact with AC by text or phone and said Somer was missing and he was at the park looking for her??? Who know - so little facts.

If in fact AC was already looking for Somer when D got there as per her statement then he either already had been home and left to look ( which is not mentioned anywhere on the MPR) or he had access to a cellphone and Mom or SP contacted him ( which is also not mentioned on the MPR)

I dont think LE asked her or st not to view somers body. I think it was recommended by LE and Funeral Director.. due to the condition of her body.

I think there is a big difference between making the recommendation that Diena (and/or family) not view Somer's body and not allowing it.

If I found out for fact that LE specifically stated that Diena was not allowed under any circumstances to view the body, that would raise a red flag for me.

But once again, there are inconsistencies in the reporting. Maybe in the interpretation by Diena?

Just my opinion but I don't believe either happened. I never heard of LE ever making recommendation or asking not to view. DT first said she wasn't allowed to view. That was on video.

http://www.policeone.com/health-fit...-identification-for-law-enforcement-officers/

Unless there is a legal requirement for identification or a security restriction, let survivors make the choice as to whether or not they want to view their loved one’s remains. Some family members may be anxious or intimidated about making or declining such a request or expressing their wishes, so ask them directly. In cases where it is forensically essential to involve the family in the identification process, be sure to provide the appropriate support.

Family members may want to touch the deceased. For some, it may be a way of beginning to accept the reality of the death, a way of finally saying goodbye. If the victim’s body is mutilated, dismembered, burned, decomposed, or disintegrated, identification may have to be made through dental records, personal effects, or other artifacts. Explain to the family members why this is necessary and give them the choice of whether or not to view or touch the remains.

I think this would fall under, "security restriction". JMO of course

ETA: Noway, this might be the opportune time to dust off those quotes in the press regarding the viewing made by LE, TIA

LE never told ST not to view her body. When he asked the funeral home personnel to view her body, this person told him that he would not recommend it. That he didnt think it would be good to have his last vision of her in that condition. I have wished so many times that I could go back through all of this after I was a member here, so I would have known more of what to look for. I wonder if ST had insisted that he see her what would have happened. I also wonder if part of the reason he was not allowed to visit the kids yet has to do with AT telling him what she knows about that day. That LE doesnt want her or anyone else talking about this to anyone.

I dont think LE asked her or st not to view somers body. I think it was recommended by LE and Funeral Director.. due to the condition of her body.

I wish there was someone on ST side at least that would have a strong enough stomach to take a look - for the pure fact of seeing if there REALLY is something else that was present that LE did not want seen by anyone outside of LE -

Just curious and I understand if you can't answer this but doesn't ST as a parent have a right to the autopsy? I won't follow up with questions if the answer is yes to that - because then I know it is a sensitive matter to the investigation. If ST has right to it, then DT would have right - if neither have right to it... makes me think they want one parent not to have it - JMO

What has been the protocal in other cases on this???

LE never told ST not to view her body. When he asked the funeral home personnel to view her body, this person told him that he would not recommend it. That he didnt think it would be good to have his last vision of her in that condition. I have wished so many times that I could go back through all of this after I was a member here, so I would have known more of what to look for. I wonder if ST had insisted that he see her what would have happened. I also wonder if part of the reason he was not allowed to visit the kids yet has to do with AT telling him what she knows about that day. That LE doesnt want her or anyone else talking about this to anyone.

Thanks. That's what I thought. LE never said anything about it. They can't by law since it's up to the parent.

I think AC was already at the park and AT found him when she was looking and told him somer was missing, and he started looking too. Just speculation.

I wish there was someone on ST side at least that would have a strong enough stomach to take a look - for the pure fact of seeing if there REALLY is something else that was present that LE did not want seen by anyone outside of LE -

Just curious and I understand if you can't answer this but doesn't ST as a parent have a right to the autopsy? I won't follow up with questions if the answer is yes to that - because then I know it is a sensitive matter to the investigation. If ST has right to it, then DT would have right - if neither have right to it... makes me think they want one parent not to have it - JMO

What has been the protocal in other cases on this???

Parents can view. That is their right. Neither ST nor DT were denied viewing. They instead denied themselves the last view of their sweet Somer most likely due to some personel at the funeral home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member