FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be info on all this at www.sunbiz.org, which is the place where the PDF of the Somer Thompson Foundation document was posted.

ETA
Direct link hope it works

Looks like at some point they will have financial records (annual report) there.

Oops.
The Annual Report is not a financial statement. The Report is used to update or confirm our records. The Annual Report is required whether there are changes or not. The Annual Report will allow you to: 1.) add, delete, or change the names and/or addresses of the officers, directors, managers, managing members, or partners; 2.) change the Registered Agent and Registered Office address; 3.) change the principal office address and mailing address for the business entity; and 4.) add or change your federal employer identification number on our records.

Is "Robert Ingram" (from the PDF of the Foundation) also known as "Bobby Ingram" of Molly Hatchet? Or is that just one weird coincidence?

:waitasec: Could be same person. I know the band has been a big supporter of the foundation.

Sounds to me like this is going to be a money maker for the admins and board members. JMO until/unless I find out differently.

Sounds to me like this is going to be a money maker for the admins and board members. JMO until/unless I find out differently.

I disagree. Esp since now I see Noways link that the financial records will be posted on the net for all the world to see.

I think it will be a great thing to help families that need it.

ETA: Can I ask what makes you think it will be a money maker for the admins and board members? Just curious as to why you think that. They've only had one fundraiser so far for the foundation.

There might be info on all this at www.sunbiz.org, which is the place where the PDF of the Somer Thompson Foundation document was posted.

ETA
Direct link hope it works

Looks like at some point they will have financial records (annual report) there.

YES - I have bookmarked it. Although it says annual reports so we may not see it til next March. But, at least we know they foundation will have to be on the up and up. IMO

YES - I have bookmarked it. Although it says annual reports so we may not see it til next March. But, at least we know they foundation will have to be on the up and up. IMO

I edited my post to note that annual reports are not financial statements. But there are requirements for financial statements being available to the public.

I am hoping Karen will pop in here and give us some information.

It is my opinion that there has to be specific laws to prevent just anyone from forming a non-profit and paying themselves huge salaries. There has to be laws to stop that from happening.

I in no way think that's what Somer's foundation is about.

I think the intentions are just what have been stated by the foundation's president, to raise money to help families that have gone through what the Thompson's have gone through.

As the link that I and Noway posted above, There is no rules how much $ goes to the charity/foundation. A lot of things can be placed under the umbrella of administrative costs.

http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=8

lol @ oganiziation ... but that is how I feel too at this point ... I cannot look at anymore info!

There are links at links at links.

I do think charitable foundations are closely monitored. And as much publicity as Somer's case received, there will be eyes on this one.

I see DT working hard to make a difference. I hope some big names stand behind her & help her push for change. I hope she has major fundraisers and helps families who have & will go thru what she herself has been thru

http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=8

lol @ oganiziation ... but that is how I feel too at this point ... I cannot look at anymore info!

There are links at links at links.

I do think charitable foundations are closely monitored. And as much publicity as Somer's case received, there will be eyes on this one.

That's what I'm thinking too. I think Freed will guide DT with anything she needs as far as the foundation goes. IMO he will be involved with the legalities.

I say remove child predators far far away from the rest of society! Why should people's hard earnt tax dollars fund any of these monsters. Drop them to some very isolated place, let them sort life out amongst themselves, hey, and if they survive they do, but if not, well.... All we'll be up for then is the cost of the fuel to get them to their new destination and that will be it!

I tend to agree, but first we need to prevent them from reproducing! We wouldn't want any of them having children on this island and then repeating their offenses on these innocent children.

Maybe we all need to rally together for this and maybe demand government funding in areas that are so vital and necessary. Get onto our local members of govt. to take it to Washington! Good grief, they can certainly squander tax payers money on useless things, then why not for something as important as this!

LOL
I think our the majority of the legislators should be fired.

The rights of our children fall somewhere beneath the rights of tomato farms, orange juice, mosquito control, roads, kickbacks from colleges etc....

Hello Everyone
Too many questions ... haven't read back too far to see what the real concerns are - but not all charities/nonprofits are tax-exempt. If you look for a list of nonprofits in Florida by city or county - you will see that many are not.
The bylaws of the corporation and the incorporation papers will contain the purpose for the foundation, board members, duties ... that may tell you a lot.
As to accounting - honestly, what one person may say is administrative like training/travel/advocacy others may say is mission-related and therefore program expenses. Auditors may not like me saying so, but it seems to me - that they do not "audit" for those kinds of issues. It all goes back to the officers.
Some organizations like Red Cross, United Way - tell donors upfront what percentage actually goes to directly help victims, etc. - but most foundations that I know of - only calculate admin costs when they apply for other funding like United Way and/or they want to market their good works. In NYS, the State Attorney General oversees all nonprofit registrations and filings and keeps a record of who is diligent in filing their annual forms.
Not sure this helped ... but from my experience, things are really loose ... but that allows good work to be done some times ...

Found what I was thinking about ... comment about being rare:

"If an individual is looking at a lot of child *advertiser censored* it is a concern to the people around them and to the individual," Abel said that is because it is still illegal and could be signs of mental health issues.
He stresses that people who look at child *advertiser censored* can be cured with treatment. He also warns that murders like Somer Thompson's are exceedingly rare, so people should not treat that as the default case.

http://wokv.com/localnews/2010/03/is-child-*advertiser censored*-an-sign-of-abuse.html

Dr. Able is a Psychiatrist who heads up a huge treatment center for sex offenders. As far as I know the good Doc has not come up with a treatment that prevents recidivism and the questionnaires he designed to detect certain sexual predators have yet to be proven. By the way, his income depends on saying there is some kind of cure! The good doc has a fantastic vitae and many grants from the NIH but certainly not in a position to talk conclusively regarding the felony of child *advertiser censored* and how it relates to escalation of sex crimes. moo mho

Rare - maybe with after the fact knowledge of those in treatment. Beyond my comprehension how a man with sexual longings for children who takes the high risk of obtaining 'child' *advertiser censored*, isn't at risk for child molestation and, possibly, murder. He is using data from the felon child *advertiser censored* perp who has been caught, arrested, and in treatment, (after the fact knowledge) and is extrapolating his findings into general conclusions. I think doc has a ways to go before he can make such claims. moo

Grand jury indictment on JH
http://www.wesh.com/crime/23029131/detail.html

State Attorney Angela B. Corey announced Thursday that the Clay County grand jury returned a four-count indictment charging Jarred Mitchell Harrell with murder in the first-degree, kidnapping, sexual battery and lewd or lascivious battery in relation to the disappearance and death of Somer Renee Thompson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413