Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

coco

Reaction score
Couldn't find any threads on this case so thought I would post-

-Tara Exposito*, missing since November 6 2002 from her family home in Gulfport, Florida

-Human remains discovered January 7 2003 in an East Hillsborough citrus grove

-Remains thought to be those of a white female, aged 12- 17 years of age. This Jane Doe was thought to have been dead for at least 6 months , possibly 2 years

- November 2003, remains found in citrus grove are confirmed to be those of missing 14 year old,Tara Exposito

-Tara's death ruled a homicide.

^That's just a brief summary of the case, anyone know of any other developments?

*Doenetwork spells last name as "Esposito"

Was her COD ever determined? Like did they ever find clothing remnants in the orange grove? If not, that points to homicide to me. If the victim was found naked. Also the article I read mentions her sweater was found in her driveway and hair tie was found a bit further away, that indicates a struggle to me.. I don't see a runaway throwing her sweater in the driveway before running off. It just seems strange to me.

Was her COD ever determined? Like did they ever find clothing remnants in the orange grove? If not, that points to homicide to me. If the victim was found naked. Also the article I read mentions her sweater was found in her driveway and hair tie was found a bit further away, that indicates a struggle to me.. I don't see a runaway throwing her sweater in the driveway before running off. It just seems strange to me.
She must have tried to pull away and the sweater was effectively torn off of her. She must have been so scared. Poor girl.

Who is she? How did she die?

The skeleton was scattered across a citrus grove in East Hillsborough - a femur, a finger, a jawbone nestled in a tangle of highlighted hair. Sun had bleached the bones. The skull lay on its left side, tilted toward a rotting orange.

Fragmented remains of a life, now barely recognizable as human.

Detective Dale Bunten arrived on the scene Jan. 8, a day after a young man stumbled across the skeleton and called the police.

Bunten called in the medical examiner, who measured the size and shape of the skull and the growth plates in the pelvis. He said the bones belonged to a white female, age 12 to 17. She had been dead for at least six months, maybe as long as two years.

"Neighbors told us that grove hadn't been worked in more than a year," Bunten would say later. "But you have to wonder how this person was out here for that long, and no one discovered it."

Finding only bones is unusual. So is finding the remains of such a young girl. Bunten had no idea who she was or what she might have looked like. He had no tissue, no fingerprints. He gave her the usual police name for an unidentified female: Jane Doe.

It would take almost a year of steady, determined work for Bunten to learn her identity. What he discovered would solve a year-old mystery and break the hearts of a family in Pinellas County.

Jane Doe turned out to be somebody after all.

Death Masks
When Tara Exposito, 14, went missing from her family home in Gulfport, Fla., in November 2002, officers at first considered her a runaway. Even when the skeleton of what was determined to be a small-framed, teenage girl was discovered in East Hillsborough, about an hour’s drive away, it wasn’t at first linked to Tara’s disappearance.

It took the perseverance of Det. Dale Bunten and the skill of forensic sculptor Wesley Neville, a lieutenant at the Florence County (S.C.) Sheriff’s Office, to link the remains to the girl.
First, Bunten sent the girl’s skull to Neville, a full-time certified forensic artist. Neville reconstructed the girl’s face, using markers and clay to flesh out her unique features.

“Upon completion of the reconstruction, I sent the package back to the Florida investigator in charge of the case,” says Neville. “Then, while searching through various missing persons Websites, I came across Tara’s photo, and the likeness was uncanny to that of the reconstruction that I had just completed. The investigators obtained DNA from Tara’s mother, submitted the sample to the FBI lab for analysis, and the match was confirmed.”

History

2003 A local teenager disappeared in what was believed to be a runaway case, and her decomposed body was found several months later in a Hillsborough County orange grove. The remains went unidentified for quite some time until a forensic artist applied a clay mask to the skull and noticed the resemblance to photos of the missing girl, Tara Exposito. The cause of her death has yet to be determined.

ADMIN NOTE:

We have invited our new member, Tara's-Brother, to become verified. Once they have applied and been approved, any of their posts containing inside information will be reinstated.

On another note, WS social media rules do not allow members to sleuth and post information about any individual who has not been officially named by LE to be a POI or suspect.

For members who have not familiarized themselves with our Victim Friendly policy, please review the following excerpt from The Rules: Etiquette & Information:

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing known victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is known to be relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, or others who have not been officially designated by law enforcement or in mainstream media as a Person of Interest or suspect is not allowed (i.e. Sleuthing out this type of information, and publicly posting their social media, personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public is not allowed and such posts will be removed, along with any posts that encourage such sleuthing).

This does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media. Members may reasonably discuss what is said in MSM by them or about them, but do not make random accusations, insinuations, suggest their involvement, trash, bash or attack them, or speculate negatively about them.

All Websleuths rules (TOS) are linked in my signature and can be found here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollyann
Back