Found Deceased FL - Taylor Rose Williams, 5, Jacksonville, 6 Nov 2019 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long will she be allowed to stay on life support before the next of kin/family makes the decision to take her off if she doesn’t show signs of improvement?

I know the answer in my own experience (Brother was a diabetic) but just wondering if it may be different with a overdose?
Does she have a living will?

Family members told First Coast News that Brianna Williams is on life support, while officials said she is in a medically induced coma.

According to a medical expert, the two conditions could overlap. Life support typically involves using a ventilator, which requires heavy sedation or a medically induced coma.

However, a medically induced coma would not necessarily mean a ventilator.”
$1 million bond set for Brianna Williams, arrested after suicide attempt following discovery of a child's remains in Alabama

I work in one of the best trauma centers in the country, so we get pretty much every trauma and probably-not-trauma within a 4 state radius. I see the difficult decision to take a patient off a ventilator and make them “comfort care” made everyday. There’s no set amount of time. It depends if she remains unresponsive and unable to make decisions for herself and does not have a POA or medical directive. It can be days though. Brain death testing is usually done a few days after the initial incident, it is not an overnight thing.

Also, I’m not as familiar with OD’s as I am with hangings or self inflicted injuries, but I can say if they caught it in time and they went to the effort to airlift her, that’s a good (or bad, depending how you look at it) sign. They must have caught it pretty early.

As for her being ventilated, that’s not a big deal, to be honest. Working in a trauma center, I would say more patients are ventilated than not. Again, it just depends on the extent of her injuries. If she’s in a medically induced coma that does mean she must be showing some signs of brain activity. People that remain unresponsive even off sedation or meds to keep them in a coma tend to be the ones who don’t fair so well.

Sorry this was long and all just IMO! To sum it all up: if she remains at a low GCS (coma scale ranking) for a few days, they’ll perform brain death testing and go from there.

ETA: I am so sorry about your brother.

Thank you! And thanks for the reply..
My Brother was in a diabetic coma and after day one they performed the brain wave test..He was at the same hospital as BW I guess it is different for every case/situation...

Family members told First Coast News that Brianna Williams is on life support, while officials said she is in a medically induced coma.

According to a medical expert, the two conditions could overlap. Life support typically involves using a ventilator, which requires heavy sedation or a medically induced coma.

$1 million bond set for Brianna Williams, arrested after suicide attempt following discovery of a child's remains in Alabama

This is correct, technically, but it would be very, very rare for a patient to be in a medically induced coma and not on a vent. As I said in my other post though, being on a vent isn’t as terrible as it sounds. I’ve seen people come in and placed on a vent and put in a medically induced coma and then extubated a day later.

I was in a medically induced coma and had a tracheotomy for 6 weeks, 22 years ago. I’m sure they have come a long way since then. NOT from a suicide attempt!

Thank you! And thanks for the reply..
My Brother was in a diabetic coma and after day one they performed the brain wave test..He was at the same hospital as BW I guess it is different for every case/situation...

I am very sorry about that! I guess I should have added that it really depends on the mechanism. With someone with a traumatic brain injury, it can be difficult to assess if the patients condition is caused by the TBI or brain death, which is why they normally wait a little to perform the testing. In BWs case they will probably wait a day or so, see if she improves, and then do the testing. I am also interested to see what she took. The hospital I work at has a team of toxicologists whose job it is to figure out what patients took, and some things people take is complicated and difficult to find out! And until they know what she took and how much, they probably can’t make many decisions on her plan.

TAYLOR WILLIAMS' CASE-- Taylor Williams' family is speaking out for the first time since the five year old was reported missing last week. Investigators feel confident the remains found off County Rd 44 in Marengo County are those of Taylor Williams.
Certina Williams (Taylor's Great Aunt) and her husband Boyd Jackson opened up to me about their heartache Tuesday inside the Linden home where they say Taylor's mother, Brianna Williams was raised.

WVUA 23 Chelsea Barton

Last edited:
I overdosed 3 years ago and was airlifted to Mayo. My boyfriend was told I may not make it and to say some prayers. I was on a ventilator for a few days before I regained consciousness in the ICU. I also have friends from treatment who have overdosed and had to receive dialysis in the ICU because their kidneys were failing. It can be very serious. I’ve had several attempts and that was the only time I was in the ICU. The other times I was alert and given charcoal and transferred to a behavioral health treatment center after a few hours of observation in the ER.

Hi @Peachblvns... i realize now that i should have been more clear in my post. Yes, not every pt after a OD is admitted to the ICU. I failed to mention that I was thinking about pts that haved OD'd, are unconscious, and it is unclear exactly what they ingested. I agree that many conscious pts after they received treatment, such as activated charcoal, are medically cleared and transferred to behavioral health.

I am so sorry you had to go through all of this. I am glad you are here with us! :)

Hi @Peachblvns... i realize now that i should have been more clear in my post. Yes, not every pt after a OD is admitted to the ICU. I failed to mention that I was thinking about pts that haved OD'd, are unconscious, and it is unclear exactly what they ingested. I agree that many conscious pts after they received treatment, such as activated charcoal, are medically cleared and transferred to behavioral health.

I am so sorry you had to go through all of this. I am glad you are here with us! :)
No problem at all. I wasn’t offended. I just wanted to share my experience.

My bets are something Narcan doesn’t work on, maybe a benzodiazepine?

Narcan has unfortunately needed to become a staple for first responders. There is a drug called flumazenil that is used to treat benzodiazepine OD’s by competitive inhibition, but it is as of yet controversial. The outcome and effectiveness is limited by numerous factors of the patient.

My son is in the Navy, and he has quite a generous housing allowance. Enough to cover rent of an townhouse in a nice area, plus utilities.

As an E-6 with a dependent, her BAH and pay grade would be pretty substantial. My son is an E-6 and is single, and can afford a higher end apartment on the water in Tampa, and still has plenty of money left over. Ironically, he was stationed in JAX until he was sent to his new duty station a couple of years ago. I was at work reading the updates today, and am heartbroken and just plain want answers. Why didn't she reach out to the many, many resources available on base? There are so many of them :(

"she attended Alabama A&M and graduated in 2015" do we know if she was in the military in 2015? “Uncooperative” mother of missing child has north Alabama ties; Sheriff asking has anyone seen child in months?

This is mis-information as she enlisted in the US Navy in 2012 so how could she have graduated college in 2015??

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - According to newly released documents from the Navy Office of Information, Brianna Shontae Williams, 27, enlisted in the Navy on Nov. 20, 2012. She is the mother of missing 5-year-old Taylor Williams.

Taylor Williams: Missing 5-year-old girl's mother, Brianna Williams' military history released by Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member