FL - West Palm Beach - Trump Assassination Attempt

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Prosecutors have just charged Ryan Routh with the attempted assassination of Donald Trump:

Prosecutors on Tuesday filed the charge of attempted assassination of a major presidential candidate against Ryan Wesley Routh, the man they say camped outside of Donald Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course for hours on end, armed with a rifle that he pointed through a chain-link fence with a clear shot to the next hole where the former president was headed on September 15.

Routh was originally charged with two gun-related offenses, including obliteration of a firearm’s serial number and possessing a firearm while a convicted felon, while the investigation continued.

Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee who oversaw, and later threw out, the federal criminal classified documents case against the former president, was randomly assigned to oversee the case, court documents show.

Indictment:

(Why is the maximum sentence for the crime of stalking only ten years? No one stalks with friendly intentions.)

Pleased to see he's looking at a couple possible life sentence. Laying in wait (stalking) anyone should be a life sentence IMO because the point of it, whether or not realized, is never for good.

He won't see freedom.

JMO

Why does one person have six cell phones? Makes me wonder if he was given any of those by someone and maybe the gun with the obliterated serial number as well. imo

Officials also found six cell phones, one of which showed a search of how to travel from Palm Beach to Mexico. A notebook found in the car contained criticisms of the Russian and Chinese governments and information on how to join Ukraine in its war against Russia.
Prepaid/aka burner phones. All with different phone numbers.

(Why is the maximum sentence for the crime of stalking only ten years? No one stalks with friendly intentions.)

Pleased to see he's looking at a couple possible life sentence. Laying in wait (stalking) anyone should be a life sentence IMO because the point of it, whether or not realized, is never for good.

He won't see freedom.

JMO
bolded and enlarged by me for focus.

Women have been asking this question for many, many generations!
Having said that, I'm happy to see that more serious charges have since been laid against Routh.

Prosecutors have just charged Ryan Routh with the attempted assassination of Donald Trump:

Prosecutors on Tuesday filed the charge of attempted assassination of a major presidential candidate against Ryan Wesley Routh, the man they say camped outside of Donald Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course for hours on end, armed with a rifle that he pointed through a chain-link fence with a clear shot to the next hole where the former president was headed on September 15.

Routh was originally charged with two gun-related offenses, including obliteration of a firearm’s serial number and possessing a firearm while a convicted felon, while the investigation continued.

Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee who oversaw, and later threw out, the federal criminal classified documents case against the former president, was randomly assigned to oversee the case, court documents show.

Indictment:

I wonder if RR could also be charged with the attempted assassination of a former president? Does federal law only address attempted assassination of a sitting president and a major presidential candidate (the latter being the charge the feds have made against RR)?

It seems to me that the charge of attempted assassination of a former president is being left on the table, so I am wondering if it is because (1) there is no such federal law so no charge is possible at the federal level or (2) if there is such a federal law/charge but the prosecution doesn't believe they have adequate evidence to make this charge. If that is the case, perhaps state charges (such as attempted murder?) do need to come into play to make sure this guy never again sees the light of day outside of a prison courtyard.

I wonder if RR could also be charged with the attempted assassination of a former president? Does federal law only address attempted assassination of a sitting president and a major presidential candidate (the latter being the charge the feds have made against RR)?

It seems to me that the charge of attempted assassination of a former president is being left on the table, so I am wondering if it is because (1) there is no such federal law so no charge is possible at the federal level or (2) if there is such a federal law/charge but the prosecution doesn't believe they have adequate evidence to make this charge. If that is the case, perhaps state charges (such as attempted murder?) do need to come into play to make sure this guy never again sees the light of day outside of a prison courtyard.
The exact same law applies to former presidents. You can't try him for both.
Federal.law has a high bar for attempted murder, so they made laws for specific federal positions. This was because of the problems with the Kennedy case, that resulted after the sheriff's perp walk with Oswald and fighting over the autopsy of Kennedy. Oswald was gonna be tried by the state of Texas and it did not go well. They decided to lump all of that with the federal system.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back