Flu Shot May Have Triggered Rare Disorder?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've noticed, when I look at the lab results in the hospital I work at, that the influenza A and B "swabs" are almost ENTIRELY negative, yet the person has the admitting diagnosis of "influenza". We have about six people in the ICU right now, four of whom are below the age of forty, with NEGATIVE influenza A/B swabs yet fighting for their lives with admitting diagnoses of "influenza". The pediatric unit is also about half full of "influenza" cases, none of whom I could see a "positive" influenza A/B swab on.

I do not understand why the reliability of the tests are so low. They are nasal swabs.

Any febrile, respiratory illness is automatically assumed to be flu and flu is assumed to be H1N1.

I guess it doesn't matter which flu it is, when the hospitals are filling up with flu victims and the ICU has young flu victims on ventilators. This is only the beginning of the season, too.

I have been debating on the flu shot this year, but not for the usual reasons. I have had the flu shot a couple of other years, but it seemed like I would get sicker with the shot than with the flu. When I got the shot, I would run very high temps, and feel bad for several days. At least with the normal flu my temp wouldn't be as high. Some docs have proposed that I might be allergic to the eggs, but I can eat eggs with no problems. So right now I haven't made a decision about getting the shot.

I recently found out that I am going to be a Grandmother. It is my first granbaby. I did insist that my daughter get the N1H1 shot, because this flu really worries me, esp as it is having such a strong effect on the younger people. With her being pregnant, I thought she should get it and she finally agreed to it. But the doc's office seemed kinda like it is up to you, we will give it if you want but it is your decision.

As an RN and a school nurse I have concern about this vaccine. It has been pushed through priliminary testing way too quickly. Also, only two of the four stages of testing have been completed yet the vaccine has been released. What is the big hurry? The swine flu is not a new strain! It has been around a long long time. The media has created a frenzy, and someone stands to make a large sum of money at anothers expense. Everyone needs to educate themselves and then be able to make an informed decision.

With regaards to the diagnosis of H1N1. In speaking with the health department and the CDC several times in the past few months here is what we have been told about testing.

1. If you go to the Dr. office and a nasal swab is done and comes back positive for influenza A, there is a 90% chance that you would test positive for H1N1. That does not though give you a difinitive diagnosis.

2. The only way that you can recieve a difinitive H1N1 diagnosis is to have that swab sent off for testing. Very few Dr. are doing this at the moment for two reasons -1- the majority of patients would come back positive for the virus (backing up the labs when it is not necessary)
-2- The difinitive test for H1N1 is very expensive, I believe I was told that it is about 600.00.

Honestly the most important thing in preventing the spread of H1N1 is proper hand washing!

I've noticed, when I look at the lab results in the hospital I work at, that the influenza A and B "swabs" are almost ENTIRELY negative, yet the person has the admitting diagnosis of "influenza". We have about six people in the ICU right now, four of whom are below the age of forty, with NEGATIVE influenza A/B swabs yet fighting for their lives with admitting diagnoses of "influenza". The pediatric unit is also about half full of "influenza" cases, none of whom I could see a "positive" influenza A/B swab on.

I do not understand why the reliability of the tests are so low. They are nasal swabs.

Any febrile, respiratory illness is automatically assumed to be flu and flu is assumed to be H1N1.

I guess it doesn't matter which flu it is, when the hospitals are filling up with flu victims and the ICU has young flu victims on ventilators. This is only the beginning of the season, too.

My doctor says that many of those negative flu swabs means the person has mycoplasma. She indicated that there is MORE mycoplasma going around than H1N1 in my area. What you are saying is not unusual, however. Many doctors are indeed calling all febrile respiratory illnesses "flu" and automatically deciding it is "H1N1" type.

This improperly inflates the cases of H1N1, causing panic in the public, PLUS the poor souls that have mycoplasma aren't receiving the correct treatment.

As you said, it really doesn't matter for the poor people fighting for their lives what has made them so sick. They just want to get better.

God's blessings, stay safe! You are definitely on the front lines, girl.

Thanks Kgeaux :) Get this though . . . my daughter and grandson are in San Diego visiting her friends who haven't seen the baby, and she called me today to say both her and the baby tested positive for influenza A. She is quite ill, the baby less so. They both had chest xrays, blood drawn, urine taken and the baby was put on Tamiflu. She has to take the baby back in tomorrow for a check up.

I am up here tearing my nails to shreds . . . I got the H1N1 vaccine because I'm on the front lines with immunosuppressed patients . . . but I was very willing to get the vaccine so I didn't bring it home to her and that baby!!! ARRRRGH!! :( Now I can't even GET to them, much less fly them home. This virus SUCKS, whatever it is :(

Thanks Kgeaux :) Get this though . . . my daughter and grandson are in San Diego visiting her friends who haven't seen the baby, and she called me today to say both her and the baby tested positive for influenza A. She is quite ill, the baby less so. They both had chest xrays, blood drawn, urine taken and the baby was put on Tamiflu. She has to take the baby back in tomorrow for a check up.

I am up here tearing my nails to shreds . . . I got the H1N1 vaccine because I'm on the front lines with immunosuppressed patients . . . but I was very willing to get the vaccine so I didn't bring it home to her and that baby!!! ARRRRGH!! :( Now I can't even GET to them, much less fly them home. This virus SUCKS, whatever it is :(

Oh, PeteyGirl! I am so sorry! I will pray for your daughter and grandson. I hope they have mild symptoms and recover quickly. God's blessings to you and yours!

Oh, PeteyGirl! I am so sorry! I will pray for your daughter and grandson. I hope they have mild symptoms and recover quickly. God's blessings to you and yours!

Aw thanks :) I just talked to DD a few minutes ago . . . it took HOURS to find a pharmacy that would prepare an oral liquid form of Tamiflu for the baby. Good grief! Crush a pill and put it in cherry syrup people!!! And as for DD, she feels worse today, she has a lot of congestion in her upper airway. I told her when she takes the baby back in to the ER for a check, insert herself in there and tell them SHE feels worse.

She got off the phone with "Well, I'm going to go get in the shower" so inside my underground clinical mind, I thought "People who are REALLY sick do not deliberately take showers" LOL so in effect, I feel less worried than I could . . .

Why take the baby to the ER? Last time I checked, the E in ER stood for emergency, and a cold isn't an emergency.

Why take the baby to the ER? Last time I checked, the E in ER stood for emergency, and a cold isn't an emergency.

Sounds like the Grandma was saying her grandchild has the H1N1 flu ,NOT just a COLD ,as she as said "the baby tested positive for influenza A". That is the swine-flu. In order for Tamiflu to work, it is to admistered within the first 48 hours of symptoms. This mother did the RIGHT thing by taking her child to the ER ... as you have said the E in ER stands for EMERGENCY....

Aw thanks :) I just talked to DD a few minutes ago . . . it took HOURS to find a pharmacy that would prepare an oral liquid form of Tamiflu for the baby. Good grief! Crush a pill and put it in cherry syrup people!!! And as for DD, she feels worse today, she has a lot of congestion in her upper airway. I told her when she takes the baby back in to the ER for a check, insert herself in there and tell them SHE feels worse

According to the pharmacist that I talked to in my town they are making their own "tamiflu" I can't remember what it is called, starts with an O. So that could be the problem. Some pharmacies probably aren't making it at all. I heard the real tamiflu is back ordered.

My 3 year who was in the PICU last weekend received both the H1N1 and regular flu shot yesterday. We lucked out and they had it at his allergist when we were in for an appointment. Since he is allergic to eggs we had to to the skin test for both, wait 20 minutes, do the H1N1, wait 30 minutes and then the regular flu shot and wait 30 minutes. Luckily no reactions - well just a very angry and bored 3 year old.

"Oseltamivir" is the generic drug, Tamiflu is the brand name. Technically, they are one and the same drug.

It is interesting that they will give Tamiflu for children under one year of age, and adults over sixty five, UNLESS the sick person has had 48 hours or LESS of flu symptoms, then they will also meet the criteria.

H1N1 is killing people BELOW the age of 65, unlike the regular seasonal flus. You'd think the criteria for giving it would line up with the population most at risk. This "criteria" is what my DD and grandson met up with at Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego, it could be slightly different elsewhere.

And you'd think that there would be plenty of pediatric Tamiflu solutions considering that infants are going to be common recipients. Perhaps this is just the beginning of the "season" and things will get more streamlined and organized as the season goes along.

According to the pharmacist that I talked to in my town they are making their own "tamiflu" I can't remember what it is called, starts with an O. So that could be the problem. Some pharmacies probably aren't making it at all. I heard the real tamiflu is back ordered.

My 3 year who was in the PICU last weekend received both the H1N1 and regular flu shot yesterday. We lucked out and they had it at his allergist when we were in for an appointment. Since he is allergic to eggs we had to to the skin test for both, wait 20 minutes, do the H1N1, wait 30 minutes and then the regular flu shot and wait 30 minutes. Luckily no reactions - well just a very angry and bored 3 year old.

Three year olds act like it's torture to have to wait, don't they? Just wanted to tell you how relieved I am he is better!

"Oseltamivir" is the generic drug, Tamiflu is the brand name. Technically, they are one and the same drug.

It is interesting that they will give Tamiflu for children under one year of age, and adults over sixty five, UNLESS the sick person has had 48 hours or LESS of flu symptoms, then they will also meet the criteria.

H1N1 is killing people BELOW the age of 65, unlike the regular seasonal flus. You'd think the criteria for giving it would line up with the population most at risk. This "criteria" is what my DD and grandson met up with at Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego, it could be slightly different elsewhere.

And you'd think that there would be plenty of pediatric Tamiflu solutions considering that infants are going to be common recipients. Perhaps this is just the beginning of the "season" and things will get more streamlined and organized as the season goes along.

I just read an article in my local paper regarding Tamiflu. The CDC had stockpiled some, insuring that they'd have enough on hand to manage a major pandemic. They have now decided to go ahead and release that stock-pile to make more available now. Should be hitting pharmacies quickly!

How nice - UGH. Detainees at Gitmo are receiving H1N1 flu shots AHEAD of the general US population. I'm furious!

http://www.startribune.com/world/68328487.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUZ

I could see logic in this, if the first reasoning was "We have to protect the guards against an outbreak of influenza", but the article says:

(snip from article) "But he said U.S. military officials are "responsible for the health and care of the detainee population."

Am I destined to Hell because I could care less if there were Swine Flu parties held in prison? :angel: If the prisoners were to read this woman's story, would they feel that the vaccine could be cruel and unusual punishment and/or is it against their religion? (Serious questions- not sarcasm.)

The woman in the OP is living a prison sentence in her own body.

Pharmacies don't have the pediatricTamiflu here, and we are worried about our 18-month-old grandson, should he get swine flu. Walgreens is evidently making a solution out of the adult tamiflu, that can be used for kids.

Maybe initially we stockpiled adult tamiflu, because usually older populations are more at risk. Now it has turned out that younger people are more at risk.

Following link is about the swine flu vaccine and not the seasonal flu vaccine, which is what the cheerleader got, but I thought it was still pretty interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33552662/ns/health-cold_and_flu/

Not much attention has been given to the fact that some neurologists believe this cheerleader may have a psychologically-driven dystonia. It wouldn't mean that she was faking it, just that it was coming from a psychological cause instead of an actual neurological disorder. My beef is that she claims that she has dystonia and that her doctors say it's from the flu shot, but AFAIK she hasn't brought out her actual doctors or medical records to back up these claims.

A family doctor I know has read up quite a bit on the vaccine and virus. He is definitely pro-vaccine.

Evidently people are contagious even a day before they get symptoms. So just staying away from people who are sick, or keeping sick kids home from school or daycare will not entirely work. Also, people are contagious several days AFTER symptoms are gone; and you know all those aren't staying home.

It's a mixture of avian, swine and human flu that we've always had and always gotten vaccines against. (except the swine part) There have been no known adverse side effects from the shot; but the fact is children are dying. 20 the week before and 19 last week. Not all had pre-existing conditions.

He is just thankful, given the delay in vaccine availability, that this is not a more deadly flu.

About a year and a half ago, I started taking a new arthritis drug that provoked in my body a severe allergic reaction called Stevens Johnson Syndrome. I can't begin to describe the horror of that experience; to be very brief, whole body turned red and purple and my flesh started just peeling/flaking off. The thing will most often kill you and/or leave you permanently damaged. Anyway, I was told that the chances of having this severe a reaction to a drug are one in a million, so small that the doctors don't even bother mentioning the risk. But let me tell you, when you are that one person, those numbers mean nothing to you. This is why talk of numbers and chances of this and chances of that do not impress me.

The long and the short of it is this: I would much rather get sick because of something I did not do, than to get sick because of something I sought out and brought upon myself.

P.S. All this faith in modern medicine is misplaced.

I have a family member that has just been dx with Stevens Johnson Syndrome which has turned into toxic epidermal necrolysis. Is anyone here on the boards familiar with? Celeste, are you still here?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back