Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re on the road and stopped and grabbed some quick food at McDonalds just a while ago. I get the McDouble, with extra pickles, because it’s a smaller burger. But now you have thoroughly convinced me to try the fish sandwich on my next visit!
I don’t like fish that has a strong “fishy” taste. So believe me when I say filet-o-fish is very mild.

It's fun to here these Friday stories. I grew up nominally Episcopalian, in a rather secular family. I attended church with my neighbors more often than my parents.

But, a good chunk of my friends were Catholic, and dinner with them Friday nights meant pizza for the kids and fish for parents; a good chunk of my friends were Jewish, and dinner with them on Friday night meant grape juice in a wine glass and my friends giggled nervously while their father said some sing-song prayers in a foreign language. I frankly can't remember at all what was on my plate when I ate at religious Jewish homes.

At home, it was anything goes Friday. If parents were out, it was generally elbow noodles with tomato sauce. Parents in, probably cube steaks and potatoes.

MOO

It's fun to here these Friday stories. I grew up nominally Episcopalian, in a rather secular family. I attended church with my neighbors more often than my parents.

But, a good chunk of my friends were Catholic, and dinner with them Friday nights meant pizza for the kids and fish for parents; a good chunk of my friends were Jewish, and dinner with them on Friday night meant grape juice in a wine glass and my friends giggled nervously while their father said some sing-song prayers in a foreign language. I frankly can't remember at all what was on my plate when I ate at religious Jewish homes.

At home, it was anything goes Friday. If parents were out, it was generally elbow noodles with tomato sauce. Parents in, probably cube steaks and potatoes.

MOO

At my house, occasionally on Friday nights my parents had “date night.” We had a babysitter on those occasions and were allowed to choose a TV Dinner. My mom kept a large variety of TV Dinners in our freezer, and we thought they were a real treat, as mom cooked all our meals from scratch

It was very exciting to look through the freezer and choose our dinners. I liked the Mexican dinner with an enchilada in sauce, refried beans, and rice. My brothers usually chose fried chicken dinners with mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. We also like the Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Back then they came in foil containers and you had to bake them in the oven for what seemed like an extremely long time.

Looking back, it is hard to believe we ever thought the frozen fried chicken and mashed potato dinners were a treat because my mom made excellent fried chicken, chicken gravy, and wonderful mashed potatoes. I’ve never been able to make chicken gravy as good as hers.

I can understand the appeal of the frozen Mexican dinners because we hadn’t had Mexican food before. I don’t think I had anything even resembling Mexican food until I was in college and experienced Chi-Chi’s.

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 9
At my house, occasionally on Friday nights my parents had “date night.” We had a babysitter on those occasions and were allowed to choose a TV Dinner. My mom kept a large variety of TV Dinners in our freezer, and we thought they were a real treat, as mom cooked all our meals from scratch

It was very exciting to look through the freezer and choose our dinners. I liked the Mexican dinner with an enchilada in sauce, refried beans, and rice. My brothers usually chose fried chicken dinners with mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. We also like the Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Back then they came in foil containers and you had to bake them in the oven for what seemed like an extremely long time.

Looking back, it is hard to believe we ever thought the frozen fried chicken and mashed potato dinners were a treat because my mom made excellent fried chicken, chicken gravy, and wonderful mashed potatoes. I’ve never been able to make chicken gravy as good as hers.

I can understand the appeal of the frozen Mexican dinners because we hadn’t had Mexican food before. I don’t think I had anything even resembling Mexican food until I was in college and experienced Chi-Chi’s.
When I was a toddler, our neighbors would watch me when my mother had to work nights. The neighbors kids liked coming to our house because my mom bought wonder bread. Their mom made homemade bread for sandwiches every week. I would love homemade bread every week. (I would double in weight though. oh well)

We LOVED Chi Chi’s. That is one place I would love to have back. We still get their sweet corn cake mix at Kroger to make on Cinco De Mayo.

Chi-Chi’s was our go-to place for celebrations and anniversaries. Loved their chili con queso and El Grande burrito.

So many people loved Chi-Chi’s that I think it would be very popular it it ever returned.

Feeling better tonight but just having a hot chocolate for dinner. I don’t want anything in my my stomach before bed.

I think it was the pizza I baked that made me sick. Having a hella head cold certainly hasn’t helped. No fever, no body aches. Just tired.

Thanks for the good health wishes!

ultra processed food was a thing of the future back then and TV dinners were a treat. The Swanson's were extra special because they had one more compartment that was a desert.

Filet-o-fish has an interesting history.

McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwich — the first non-hamburger item added to the fast food giant's menu — went nationwide in 1965.
It was the brainchild of Cincinnati-based McDonald's franchise owner Lou Groen.
Groen came up with the idea when he discovered that the Catholic practice of abstaining from meat on Fridays was hurting his business.

As it happened, Groen's hamburger-centric eatery happened to be located in a predominantly Catholic neighborhood.

But Kroc hated the idea. He described his initial reaction in his book: "Hell no! I don't care if the Pope himself comes to Cincinnati. He can eat hamburgers like everybody else. We are not going to stink up our restaurants with any of your damned fish."

But McDonald's executives Fred Turner and Nick Karos disagreed. Groen ended up convincing them that he'd either need to start selling fish sandwiches or his store.
Filet O-Fish (I swear) used to have a slice of cheese on it but in recent times it has only half a slice. I am unconvinced that fish should have cheese on it at all, but I feel cheated with only half a slice! I like the BK and Wendy's fish sandwiches better because I can get them with lettuce, tomato and onion (practically a salad) and I never eat fast food bread- I like grainy fibrous bread but all fast food bread is nasty IMO.

Filet O-Fish (I swear) used to have a slice of cheese on it but in recent times it has only half a slice. I am unconvinced that fish should have cheese on it at all, but I feel cheated with only half a slice! I like the BK and Wendy's fish sandwiches better because I can get them with lettuce, tomato and onion (practically a salad) and I never eat fast food bread- I like grainy fibrous bread but all fast food bread is nasty IMO.
I learned the answer to the “half a slice of cheese” question during my filet-o-fish deep dive.

I read about the reason for the half slice in several articles, all stated the same thing.

Filet-O-Fish was the first non-hamburger to be sold at the fast-food joint and was added to the menu permanently in 1962. According to QSR Magazine, the recipe has not changed much since then. It consists of "a steamed bun, tartar sauce, half of a slice of cheese, and a fish filet".

But why half instead of a full slice? McDonald's spokeswoman Julie Caturano tells JournalStar that "it's always been that way".

For the average McDonald's customer, a full slice of cheese might be considered too overpowering to pair with a Filet-O-Fish, she explains. "When you think of a cheeseburger, it's really cheesy. With the filet, a half slice complements the taste, rather than overwhelming it."

Here is an interview with McDonald’s spokeswoman:

If you've ever opened up your Filet-O-Fish sandwich and noticed just a half slice of cheese, you might have wondered, "Where did the rest of it go?" However, this is no mistake. Your sandwich isn't technically missing any ingredients because that half slice of cheese is intentional.

In an interview with the Journal Star, McDonald's spokeswoman Julie Caturano explained that the half slice of cheese has "always been that way. When you think of a cheeseburger, it's really cheesy. With the filet, a half slice complements the taste rather than overwhelming it."

If you're not satisfied with half a slice, just ask for extra cheese. However, many people would argue that cheese has no place on a fish sandwich anyway. The intense flavor and creaminess of cheese can easily overpower the delicate nature of seafood. Perhaps McDonald's struck the perfect balance with just half a slice.

Read More: 11 Facts About McDonald's Filet-O-Fish That Are Finally Out In The Open - The Daily Meal

In Cincinnati many people eat only fish on Fridays. So the restaurants that serve fish are always busy on Friday.

When I order filet-o-fish on any day other than Friday, they always make it fresh. I usually wait about 5 minutes for a freshly made filet-o-fish. McDonald’s doesn’t make them ahead of time, except on Fridays when they sell ten times as many as during the rest of the week.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about filet-o-fish, lol. But I have always said it is the only McDonald’s menu item that I like, so it was interesting to learn about it.
I'll have to try one some day. I must admit though, I'll eat french fries from any fast food place on the planet. They're my Kryptonite. And I'm married to an Idaho potato farmer so there's that....

Last edited:
I'll have to try one some day. I must admit though, I'll eat french fries from any fast food place on the planet. They're my Kryptonite. And I'm married to an Idaho potato farmer so there's that....

One of my best friends and I both love fries, and we have a list of restaurants with the best fries. We are both on the Yelp Elite team so we often receive invitations to soft openings at new restaurants, or to restaurant events. Her Yelp profile is, “If the fries are good…….they will come.”

Our favorite fries are from local restaurants but some of the chains have good fries too. Chick-fil-A waffle fries are among my favorites, and Taco Bell nacho fries are excellent but they are a rotating menu item and not served at all locations. I’m not a Taco Bell fan but I do go there to get fries when they are available. City Barbecue is a chain that has really good fries too.

That’s the only thing I eat from McDs too. I order 2 sandwiches & take off 1/2 a bun on each. Then I put the 2 parts with fish together. No tarter sauce, lots of ketchup.
I haven't been to McDonald's - or any other fast-food joint - for many years. Does the filet-o-fish sandwich still have American cheese on it? I never liked that combination, but it was a pain to try to peel it off when it was melted on the fish. I preferred the Whaler at Burger King because you could order it without cheese. I also recall a wonderful fish sandwich at Wendy's. In fact, Wendy's was probably my favorite fast-food restaurant back in the day. I would also stop at Subway occasionally, but I've never been a fan of fast-food in general. We never had fast food growing up - there weren't any fast-food establishments near our home. We had take-out pizza or fish & chips occasionally.

Last edited:
Looks like I missed out on the Friday food discussion. My Catholic family always ate meatless meals on Friday: Mac & cheese and tuna noodle casserole were the primary staples. We occasionally had fish or shrimp. Potato pancakes was among my Friday favorites. My siblings and I attended Catholic school and had to pack our lunches. On Fridays we usually had egg salad, tuna salad, cheese, or peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

Last edited:
Looks like I missed out on the Friday food discussion. My Catholic family always ate meatless meals on Friday: Mac & cheese and tuna noodle casserole were the primary staples. We occasionally had fish or shrimp. Potato pancakes was among my Friday favorites. My siblings and I attended Catholic school and had to pack our lunches. On Fridays we usually had egg salad, tuna salad, or cheese sandwiches.
How could I have forgotten mac n' cheese? I also did Catholic schools, no hot lunch, how did we survive warm mayonaisse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mimimaria