Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiles weren’t great for the amount of effort involved. They aren’t horrible but after 4 hours of work, I expected spectacular not “it’s okay”. Maybe it was the venison.

Cooked a whole bunch of other stuff, no one left hungry. Now it’s British crime dramas and a holiday margarita, maybe 2. Then back on the wagon tomorrow. I’ve been relative alcohol free for last couple of months. Just cutting the calories out.

Tonight is the first winter weather we have had yet here in central Indiana, it has been an extremely warm fall and winter.

My friend and I attended the Colts/Raiders game then hung around downtown Indianapolis at one of the museums until it closed. We ate dinner at a restaurant and snow flurries began as we headed home, the temperature dropped below freezing and the roads and sidewalks got a little slick.

Happy to be home watching a movie on tv tonight.

I’m making split pea soup and homemade bread tomorrow, just because I think it sounds good. My daughter has requested tapioca pudding so I’ll be making that too.

Tonight is the first winter weather we have had yet here in central Indiana, it has been an extremely warm fall and winter.

My friend and I attended the Colts/Raiders game then hung around downtown Indianapolis at one of the museums until it closed. We ate dinner at a restaurant and snow flurries began as we headed home, the temperature dropped below freezing and the roads and sidewalks got a little slick.

I’m making split pea soup and homemade bread tomorrow, just because I think it sounds good. My daughter has requested tapioca pudding so I’ll be making that too.
Making a ham tomorrow.
That will eventually lead to Split Pea Soup.

Happy New Year's to everyone. May 2024 be a year of great happiness, health, joy and peace!

When Cornish miners migrated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the 1800's, they brought with them their beloved national dish: the pasty. The Finnish miners that followed adopted these meat pies as their own (easily transportable for long subterranean days!), and the pasty became such a large part of the regional culture that there's an annual pasty festival in early July. In this recipe, beef, rutabaga, carrots, onions and potatoes are essentially steamed within the crimped, D-shaped dough pocket that's slit to allow just enough steam to escape.
Have you ever made them? I’ve been wanting to try them for years. I had a friend as a child who’s father’s family was from Cornwall. (He was actually from a mining family in Butte, MT. I think a small population from the Cornwall area settled there due to the mining connection, maybe?) Anyway, I remember the pasties he would make: They were delicious! She often carried them to school in her lunch and ate them how I’m assuming the miners ate them -at room temp.

Boy, tapioca pudding! I haven’t heard of that in years, but it was a relatively common dessert at home. Sort of dessert “comfort food”. It will be a great winter day menu, with the split pea soup!

Have you ever made them? I’ve been wanting to try them for years. I had a friend as a child who’s father’s family was from Cornwall. (He was actually from a mining family in Butte, MT. I think a small population from the Cornwall area settled there due to the mining connection, maybe?) Anyway, I remember the pasties he would make: They were delicious! She often carried them to school in her lunch and ate them how I’m assuming the miners ate them -at room temp.
No, I've never made pasties and only ate them when they were served in the college dorm. They were very good - and filling, especially with brown gravy. I recall that some colleagues dipped them in ketchup, but I don't like the condiment and preferred my pasties with rich gravy. The best pasties are reported to come from the small community of Calumet in northern Michigan. I've long thought about ordering some; maybe I'll get around to it someday soon.

Boy, tapioca pudding! I haven’t heard of that in years, but it was a relatively common dessert at home. Sort of dessert “comfort food”. It will be a great winter day menu, with the split pea soup!

I keep a double boiler in a kitchen cabinet and the only thing I ever use it for is making tapioca pudding. I love tapioca pudding but it definitely requires a great deal of stirring.

Just started the slow cooker with beef bones, aromatics, half of the leftover drippings/gravy, beef broth, and water for homemade stock that will eventually become mushroom barley soup. We each had a thick slice of Prime Rib (restaurant portion) for dinner last night, and there is plenty of meat left for a beef pot pie and the soup. I will divide and cut up the meat later with portions for the pot pie and the soup. The pot pie wasn't exactly planned, but we have puff pastry, so that is a good way to make use of it. There are leftover roasted potatoes, and I will cut up carrots and add some frozen peas to the gravy and meat. Pot pie tomorrow and mushroom barley soup later in the week. No more red meat for the rest of January!

I made a breakfast this morning using leftovers, and no one knew I was using bits and pieces of cheeses and vegetables.

I sautéed hash browns that were leftover from the large skillet of hash browns I made to use in a casserole Saturday. Then I added some diced vegetables, and shredded some bits of cheese, cracked some eggs into the skillet and made a breakfast scramble. Topped with fresh parsley from my garden and served with sour cream and fresh salsa (leftover from a Mexican carry out meal) it made a tasty breakfast.

I made a breakfast this morning using leftovers, and no one knew I was using bits and pieces of cheeses and vegetables.

I sautéed hash browns that were leftover from the large skillet of hash browns I made to use in a casserole Saturday. Then I added some diced vegetables, and shredded some bits of cheese, cracked some eggs into the skillet and made a breakfast scramble. Topped with fresh parsley from my garden and served with sour cream and fresh salsa (leftover from a Mexican carry out meal) it made a tasty breakfast.
Oh thank you for reminding me!! I have a bunch of potatoes left from our holiday dinner that I don't want to waste. I couldn't fathom more potato dishes BUT hash browns is a different story!

I too used leftover veggies for a "breakfast for dinner" this eve. We had peppers, onions and some cheese leftover so I made an omelette with some smoked bacon. Next time I am doing hash browns as there are still eggs and bacon left :)

Although I always take the “Best of” lists with a grain of salt, I think they are interesting to read.

This is from the “Ultimate List of Food Experiences.”

Just a few selected states where I often work or travel.

Arkansas: Cheese dip
Colorado: Rocky Mountain oysters
Florida: Key Lime pie, Cuban sandwich
Illinois: Deep dish pizza
Indiana: St. Elmo’s steak
Kentucky: Hot brown, bourbon
Maryland: crab cake
Michigan: Coney Island dogs
Minnesota: hotdish
Ohio: Cincinnati chili
Tennessee: Nashville hot chicken, Memphis BBQ
Wisconsin: cheese curds

Although I always take the “Best of” lists with a grain of salt, I think they are interesting to read.

100% correct for Florida. People grow Key Limes in their yards because it’s expensive to buy. It used to be anyway. It may be more widely available now. I personally don’t care for Key Lime Pie but my youngest & her Dad love it. His mother always made it for them. I still have her handwritten recipe, if I’m not mistaken.

If you want an authentic Cuban Sandwich, it should have pulled pork loin, not sliced, thin sliced smoked ham, mustard, Swiss cheese & pickles on fresh Cuban bread. It should be pressed and hot. They are amazing!

Some Cuban restaurants may only serve them for lunch because they have to clean the sandwich press & put it away so they can prepare the dinner menu.

Years ago (1989?) we lived in Tampa. In the newspaper they had a survey of the best place for Cuban sandwiches. The place at the top of the list was a little hole in the wall Mom & Pop place right near us.

100% correct for Florida. People grow Key Limes in their yards because it’s expensive to buy. It used to be anyway. It may be more widely available now. I personally don’t care for Key Lime Pie but my youngest & her Dad love it. His mother always made it for them. I still have her handwritten recipe, if I’m not mistaken.

If you want an authentic Cuban Sandwich, it should have pulled pork loin, not sliced, thin sliced smoked ham, mustard, Swiss cheese & pickles on fresh Cuban bread. It should be pressed and hot. They are amazing!

Some Cuban restaurants may only serve them for lunch because they have to clean the sandwich press & put it away so they can prepare the dinner menu.

Years ago (1989?) we lived in Tampa. In the newspaper they had a survey of the best place for Cuban sandwiches. The place at the top of the list was a little hole in the wall Mom & Pop place right near us.
My dad and I visited a restaurant in Ybor City that had great Cuban sandwiches but I can’t remember the name.

I love Key Lime pie, I’ve tried it in quite a few Florida restaurants.

Arkansas is cheese dip? We spend a lot of time in AR, and I’ve never heard of that. So now it’s got me wondering. They do have some great Pizza!

But, what is with this: Colorado : Rocky Mountain oysters
Huh? I’ve been going to Colorado for over 40 years and never heard of that one either. It actually seems like an insult. (Not by you, IceIce)
And BTW, those things are nasty. My sister made me help her prepare them once years ago and I swore I’d never touch another one the rest of my life. They’re not only disgusting they don’t taste good either. Yuck.

I’m sorry, not blaming you @IceIce9 !

Last edited:
Arkansas is cheese dip? We spend a lot of time in AR, and I’ve never heard of that. So now it’s got me wondering. They do have some great Pizza!

But, what is with this: Colorado : Rocky Mountain oysters
Huh? I’ve been going to Colorado for over 40 years and never heard of that one either. It actually seems like an insult. (Not by you, IceIce)
And BTW, those things are nasty. My sister made me help her prepare them once years ago and I swore I’d never touch another one the rest of my life. They’re not only disgusting they don’t taste good either. Yuck.

I’m sorry, not blaming you @IceIce9 !

I thought the cheese dip for Arkansas was odd too. And isn’t cheese dip better known as queso?

I found this:

Why is Arkansas known for cheese dip?

According to Nick Rogers, who has researched the history of cheese dip, the dish was invented by Blackie Donnely, the original owner of Mexico Chiquito restaurants. The Mexico Chiquito chain, which now has multiple locations in central Arkansas, was opened by Donnely and his wife in North Little Rock in 1935.

To this day, I don't recall ever having had a "Coney Island hotdog" for which Michigan is noted. I think this is more of a downtown Detroit thing than a Michigan phenomenon. I've never liked any type of hotdog and would certainly not eat one of those messy Coney Island dogs with chili, onions, pickles, mustard, ketchup, melted cheese, and/or anything else that folks order on them.

The beef pot pie was very good even though the puff pastry didn't "puff up" as much as I remember from previous pot pies. We each had a serving, and there is enough for another meal. I think I might go ahead and make the mushroom barley soup today even though we still have ham and navy bean soup left. I just want to be done with cooking for a while as it seems that is all I've been doing for the past couple of weeks. Maybe we'll go out this weekend or at least do takeout a couple of times. There's a little brie and baguette left, but the rest of the holiday foods are history.

To this day, I don't recall ever having had a "Coney Island hotdog" for which Michigan is noted. I think this is more of a downtown Detroit thing than a Michigan phenomenon. I've never liked any type of hotdog and would certainly not eat one of those messy Coney Island dogs with chili, onions, pickles, mustard, ketchup, melted cheese, and/or anything else that folks order on them.
I’m not crazy about hot dogs, but I sometimes get in the mood for one and when I do, a good quality dog is quite tasty dressed up like this. I just eat it with a knife and fork.

It was 48 deg at dawn so I had hot tea & warm pumpkin banana bread to start my day. It has warmed up to 57 deg.

I’m waiting in line at the produce pick up. Thank goodness it’s drive thru style. No way I can stand out in the cold.

Attachments

• IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics