Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken broth, apple juice, peppermint tea, ginger ale, soda crackers and rice are my staple food items when I feel a cold coming on! Also Neo Citran, Gatorade and Vicks vaporub. Feel better soon @Tbone144

I made the biscuits but left out the turkey and cranberry concoction I'd been talking about. They came out too salty and garlic-y and far too flaky. I did a few things wrong, I'm sure. Never had a biscuit so crumbly yet not dry at the same time. Won't be using that recipe ever again :confused: Now I know why people listen to Betty Crocker and the Pillsbury Doughboy!

@BetteDavisEyes We are due for some weather too! Mix of snow and rain so... wet snow? I'm hoping it's not too much but the weather warning on my phone was unnecessarily bright red, warning all of S/W Ontario. Heads up! (or down and away from the snow)

We all have cold or some crud going on so I made a big batch of chicken noodle soup. I’m an “ingredient house” so I had to make it from scratch but did have some boxed stock so I didn’t have to start with the carcass. Making soup while sick isn’t much fun. I’ve been down about a week with it, hoping it lifts soon.

MIL made venison tacos last night. We went spicy on the salsa hoping to cook this out.
Hope you’re feeling better. I know what you mean with the “crud”. I’m still not over this mess. Spicy is better for me too, I can taste it, lol.
I made tacos for dinner , first time for tacos in a while. Just regular old ground beef tacos with Fiesta Taco seasoning and add a little extra Cumin and garlic. I stopped using the Old El Paso and McCormick taco seasonings because they add cornstarch. I’m not doing low carb….though I should be…. but I do try to avoid unnecessary ones.

Last edited:
Isn’t it interesting how chicken soup is almost the universal go-to for when one is not feeling well?

We have come to enjoy eating a Chinese equivalent, congee—or jook, as I call it (I think jook is the Cantonese word for it). It’s essentially rice boiled a long enough time where it starts to ‘melt’ into the broth. Here’s a recipe that is similar to how I have made it:
Chicken Congee

I’m of Japanese heritage, not Chinese, but even the Japanese have a very similar version called Okayu. I can recall my parents making okayu, but I always thought it too bland and boring, as they just used water, not chicken broth.

Feel better, @Tbone144 !
That sounds good. You got me thinking about adding ginger to chicken noodle soup, and I started searching and there are a lot of recipes out there. I can’t believe I’ve never tried it.
I might try this using a short cut, my Bear Creek noodle soup mix. I’m just not up to making it completely from scratch right now. And the Bear Creek is really good if you use chicken broth or stock, or even bone broth, instead of water, and add chicken for more protein. I’ve just gotta see if I can decent find fresh ginger.

By the time we left the cardiologist's office, stopped at Nino's for a few groceries, and arrived back home, it was nearly 4:30. DH didn't really want to go out again to pick up a pizza, so we had sandwiches instead, with tortilla chips and guacamole during the Michigan game. Tonight we're having meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy. Nino's is featuring their house made meatloaf that has onions, peppers, breadcrumbs, seasonings, and I add a few touches of my own. We'll have leftover meatloaf sandwiches tomorrow.

There had been much weather hype with a winter weather advisory for overnight and this morning. Turned out to be a nothing burger with barely a dusting of snow. It's raining lightly now, and it appears to be windy. Wish I didn't have to go out, but I'm in desperate need of a manicure/pedicure.

By the time we left the cardiologist's office, stopped at Nino's for a few groceries, and arrived back home, it was nearly 4:30. DH didn't really want to go out again to pick up a pizza, so we had sandwiches instead, with tortilla chips and guacamole during the Michigan game. Tonight we're having meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy. Nino's is featuring their house made meatloaf that has onions, peppers, breadcrumbs, seasonings, and I add a few touches of my own. We'll have leftover meatloaf sandwiches tomorrow.

There had been much weather hype with a winter weather advisory for overnight and this morning. Turned out to be a nothing burger with barely a dusting of snow. It's raining lightly now, and it appears to be windy. Wish I didn't have to go out, but I'm in desperate need of a manicure/pedicure.
Oooh, meatloaf! Yummy comfort food. I think I’ll make that soon, too. I use the *Lipton’s Souperior Meatloaf recipe as it’s easy and good. Thanks for the idea.

(*I just noticed the recipe says use Lipton’s Beefy Onion Soup mix, but I’ve only ever used the regular Onion Soup Mix.)

Oooh, meatloaf! Yummy comfort food. I think I’ll make that soon, too. I use the *Lipton’s Souperior Meatloaf recipe as it’s easy and good. Thanks for the idea.

(*I just noticed the recipe says use Lipton’s Beefy Onion Soup mix, but I’ve only ever used the regular Onion Soup Mix.)
Do you like ground turkey? We make turkey meatloaf that is really good as long as it's well-seasoned. I've never tried it with Lipton Onion Soup Mix, but I think it might be a tasty way to make turkey meatloaf. This is the turkey meatloaf recipe that I use most often. I sometimes add fresh spinach or basil. Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Do you like ground turkey? We make turkey meatloaf that is really good as long as it's well-seasoned. I've never tried it with Lipton Onion Soup Mix, but I think it might be a tasty way to make turkey meatloaf. This is the turkey meatloaf recipe that I use most often. I sometimes add fresh spinach or basil. Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
I make meatloaf with ground turkey as well. I agree it's all on how it's seasoned. In fact, I don't buy ground beef anymore and my DH has a hamburger heart. He really liked the last meatloaf and praised it mightily. I also make spaghetti sauce and tacos with ground turkey. He compliments both and swears he doesn't miss the ground beef.

The best turkey meatloaf I ever made, I ran 8 ounces of mushrooms through the food processor and added to the meat mixture with seasonings. It added moisture and a little texture, we loved it.
Last night was turkey chili in the instant pot. I make a double batch, then freeze servings for DH to take to work for lunch.
The Lipton recipe got canned in this house due to sodium. DH has to be very careful about sodium, and has really learned to read labels for the important things.

The best turkey meatloaf I ever made, I ran 8 ounces of mushrooms through the food processor and added to the meat mixture with seasonings. It added moisture and a little texture, we loved it.
Last night was turkey chili in the instant pot. I make a double batch, then freeze servings for DH to take to work for lunch.
The Lipton recipe got canned in this house due to sodium. DH has to be very careful about sodium, and has really learned to read labels for the important things.
I haven't made turkey chili for a while; thanks for the reminder. My recipe is from a restaurant (now closed) that was the first in the area to have a "white" chili on their menu in the late '70s. It's pretty simple with ground turkey, onion, garlic, canned diced green chilis, salt, pepper, cumin, cilantro, coriander, and navy beans.

One “ingredient recipe” I really like is Mock Apple Pie made with Ritz crackers. Before everyone started talking about ingredient recipes on social media we always called this a depression recipe. I got several depression-era recipes from my great aunt, and this has always been my favorite.

Mock Apple Pie

2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 3/4 cups water
Zest and 2 Tbsp. juice from 1 lemon
2 pie crusts
36 RITZ Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1-3/4 cups)
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Mix sugar and cream of tartar in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water. Bring to boil on high heat; simmer on low heat 5 min. or until mixture is reduced to 1-1/2 cups. Stir in zest and juice; cool 30 min.

Heat oven to 425°F. Roll out 1 crust on lightly floured surface to 11-inch circle; place in 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in crust. Pour sugar syrup over crumbs; top with butter and cinnamon.

Roll out remaining crust to 10-inch circle; place over pie. Seal and flute edge. Cut several slits in top crust to permit steam to escape.

Bake 30 to 35 min. or until golden brown. Cool.

All we've gotten in my town so far is wet snow early morning and rain all day. Even now, it's been raining for hours. Not sure about tomorrow but it wasn't the storm I was anticipating.

Meatloaf sounds cozy and delicious! Haven't had or made any in ages.

Well my garden survived the storm. Most of the plants are a bit tilted. The tomato "tree" is even more tilted. But nothing was ripped from it's roots. I'll get out there tomorrow and see what I can stake up.

I picked green beans twice and will hopefully have another batch soon. I roasted them in the cast iron skillet with onion, garlic, pepper, salt and butter. They were delicious!

I was craving Shake n Bake Chicken and finally made it today. Did you know the mix doesn't come with a plastic bag anymore? I kept looking for it and finally read the directions. It says to use a plate. It really hit the spot.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpeg
    IMG_2749.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2719.jpeg
    IMG_2719.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2720.jpeg
    IMG_2720.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2753.jpeg
    IMG_2753.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 20
Well my garden survived the storm. Most of the plants are a bit tilted. The tomato "tree" is even more tilted. But nothing was ripped from it's roots. I'll get out there tomorrow and see what I can stake up.

I picked green beans twice and will hopefully have another batch soon. I roasted them in the cast iron skillet with onion, garlic, pepper, salt and butter. They were delicious!

I was craving Shake n Bake Chicken and finally made it today. Did you know the mix doesn't come with a plastic bag anymore? I kept looking for it and finally read the directions. It says to use a plate. It really hit the spot.
How can they call it Shake n Bake when you don’t shake it?

I just looked at the box on a grocery website. The box now says “No shaker bag for less plastic packaging”

You could still shake it if you wanted to, just use a container with a lid.

How can they call it Shake n Bake when you don’t shake it?

I just looked at the box on a grocery website. The box now says “No shaker bag for less plastic packaging”

You could still shake it if you wanted to, just use a container with a lid.
Are you serious? I just made Shake and Bake chicken tonight. Of course I already had it in my pantry.
So, you’re not joking?

ETA: Nope, you’re not joking! :eek: Wow! Just one more way for them to cut corners, the greedy Geezers.

But hey, no reason to dirty up a container and have to wash it. To heck with that. I love these inexpensive bags from Walmart. And I Use ‘em all the time for things like this

Last edited:
My first thought was this box missed getting the bags dropped in it. After reading the directions, my next thought was “How cheap of them!”

I just poured it out on a paper plate and rolled the pieces in the mix. Then tossed the plate. So yeah, I still added to the landfill anyway. Oh well.

Are you serious? I just made Shake and Bake chicken tonight. Of course I already had it in my pantry.
So, you’re not joking?

ETA: Nope, you’re not joking! :eek: Wow! Just one more way for them to cut corners, the greedy Geezers.

But hey, no reason to dirty up a container and have to wash it. To heck with that. I love these inexpensive bags from Walmart. And I Use ‘em all the time for things like this

They claim no bag to reduce plastic packaging. It’s the same at many of the restaurants I go to, they no longer have straws for environmental reasons.

A few times when my friends and I have requested straws at restaurants we get a shocked look from our server like, “You are kidding me, right??” Then we are informed that straws end up in landfills and the oceans. This is always accompanied by a reproachful expression.

They claim no bag to reduce plastic packaging. It’s the same at many of the restaurants I go to, they no longer have straws for environmental reasons.

A few times when my friends and I have requested straws at restaurants we get a shocked look from our server like, “You are kidding me, right??” Then we are informed that straws end up in landfills and the oceans. This is always accompanied by a reproachful expression.
I get more grief from the marine scientist I raised. I guess that's karma right? LOL! She bought me a pack of metal straws for at home.

During her undergraduate in Jupiter FL she worked at the turtle rescue place in Juno Beach. Now I get glared at if I ask for a straw in a restaurant. So I tell all my friends, don't rat me out, I'm using a straw.

I get more grief from the marine scientist I raised. I guess that's karma right? LOL! She bought me a pack of metal straws for at home.

During her undergraduate in Jupiter FL she worked at the turtle rescue place in Juno Beach. Now I get glared at if I ask for a straw in a restaurant. So I tell all my friends, don't rat me out, I'm using a straw.
There are travel straw kits with a little pipe cleaner and a case. Not something I'm in the habit of keeping on me but prob should. Paper straws are terrible!

Baby sea turtles :D

I've been following and posting on this thread since it was started during the pandemic and don't recall that we've ever talked about our favorite "snack" foods. I'm sure we all have snacking habits, and I'm curious about whether your choices lean towards, savory, salty, or sweet? Do you choose "healthy" snack foods, or do you like "junk" food? When you need a mid-morning, late afternoon, or nighttime shack, what do you eat?

I rarely crave sweets, so my snack choices are usually savory or salty. I like Sociables crackers and Triscuits by themselves or with Laughing Cow wedges. I also like Wasa crispbreads with LC or peanut butter. I like apple slices with PB, pears with blue cheese, and bananas with PB. Hummus with mini carrots, pita or naan is a favorite snack, and I love pretzels and nuts. Occasionally I'll eat tortilla chips with guacamole, but I don't care for most salsas. If I don't have yogurt for breakfast, it's a nice snack, and I also enjoy a 10oz. can of V-8. I usually have some lactose-free protein shakes in the pantry and will have one with fresh fruit blended in once in a while.

A clipper moved through overnight, and we ended up with about an inch of snow. It's cold, dark, and dreary, but it's winter in Michigan, so it's no big deal. We're meeting friends for dinner at Picano's this evening. We haven't seen them since the pandemic started and have a lot of catching up to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member