Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure we all have snacking habits, and I'm curious about whether your choices lean towards, savory, salty, or sweet? Do you choose "healthy" snack foods, or do you like "junk" food?
My answer to all of your questions would be : “Yup!”
yay.gif
I like to snack, all right.

This is my problem. I like snacks of all types (savory, salty, sweet), and like to snack any time. o_O Healthy snacks? Yup! Unhealthy snacks? Double yup! :p
Lol!

I prefer savory snacks, especially cheese and crackers. I like almost all cheeses, and my favorite crackers are Crunchmaster. They are gluten free, and although I don’t usually prefer GF crackers and baked goods these are excellent.

I also like Triscuits, and the unique flavor and seasonings of Chicken in a Biscuit crackers.

We always have several different cheeses on hand, so we can always snack on cheese and crackers.

We also like olives, especially the large green olives from Costco, or the stuffed olives from Trader Joe’s.

When we have unexpected company, we can quickly put together a nice selection of cheeses and crackers, olives, and other assorted vegetables that we have in the bin.

I like fresh salsa with tortilla chips. There is a Chipotle just around the corner from my house, and their guacamole is always fresh and so are their tortilla chips.

I like to make baked nachos, and they are a good way to use up leftover fresh vegetables. I spread a single layer of tortilla chips on a baking sheet or 9x13 pan, then bake at 350 for about 4 minutes. Then I shred cheddar cheese over the tortilla chips, and bake until the cheese melts and the tortilla chips are crispy. Then I dice peppers, tomatoes, onions, or any other fresh veggies I have on top of the chips. I serve with fresh salsa, sour cream, avocado or guacamole.

Savory and salty all the way!
Cheese, olives, triskets, french bread, guac, and salsa. Really love pizza and salads as well. Though I like good chocolate, I could live without it.

The more pressing question. As of now, we are expecting over 13" of snow tomorrow. As the forecasts progress, they seem to be even more sure of the predictions with 50+ mph winds.

I am prepping for an old fashioned snow day(s). I have all the fixings for a big pot of beef stew. I'm going to the grocery tomorrow morning and stocking up on the basics. We have a full rack of firewood, so if the power goes out we will stay warm.

Any fun ideas to add to my shopping list tomorrow?

Last edited:
Cheese, olives, triskets, french bread, guac, and salsa. Really love pizza and salads as well. Though I like good chocolate, I could live without it.

The more pressing question. As of now, we are expecting over 13" of snow tomorrow. As the forecasts progress, they seem to be even more sure of the predictions with 50+ mph winds.

I am prepping for an old fashioned snow day(s). I have all the fixings for a big pot of beef stew. I'm going to the grocery tomorrow morning and stocking up on the basics. We have a full rack of firewood, so if the power goes out we will stay warm.

When we lived in east TN, in winter I would make what we called nacho bean dip.
Mix together:
1 can of refried beans
1/2 cup of grated Monterey Jack cheese

Cook 1 lb of sausage (pork or turkey) and drain the fat off.

In an 11" x 7" greased baking dish, layer the bean/cheese mixture, then the sausage, then a regular sized jar of salsa or picante sauce. Sprinkle about a cup of Monterey Jack cheese on top. Bake at 350 deg for 20 min until hot and bubbly.

Serve on tortilla chips with toppings like diced tomatoes, black olives and sour cream.

For a sweet on a cold day, I like to dip apple slices in Marzetti warm caramel that I've put in the itty bitty crock pot. That little tub of caramel fits perfectly. Pair it with hot chocolate.

1705023848904.png

I've been following and posting on this thread since it was started during the pandemic and don't recall that we've ever talked about our favorite "snack" foods. I'm sure we all have snacking habits, and I'm curious about whether your choices lean towards, savory, salty, or sweet? Do you choose "healthy" snack foods, or do you like "junk" food? When you need a mid-morning, late afternoon, or nighttime shack, what do you eat?

I rarely crave sweets, so my snack choices are usually savory or salty. I like Sociables crackers and Triscuits by themselves or with Laughing Cow wedges. I also like Wasa crispbreads with LC or peanut butter. I like apple slices with PB, pears with blue cheese, and bananas with PB. Hummus with mini carrots, pita or naan is a favorite snack, and I love pretzels and nuts. Occasionally I'll eat tortilla chips with guacamole, but I don't care for most salsas. If I don't have yogurt for breakfast, it's a nice snack, and I also enjoy a 10oz. can of V-8. I usually have some lactose-free protein shakes in the pantry and will have one with fresh fruit blended in once in a while.

A clipper moved through overnight, and we ended up with about an inch of snow. It's cold, dark, and dreary, but it's winter in Michigan, so it's no big deal. We're meeting friends for dinner at Picano's this evening. We haven't seen them since the pandemic started and have a lot of catching up to do.
I'm not sure if I qualify as a snacker, more like an all day grazer. I've never been one to eat a huge meal.

I like hummus with baby carrots, Naan bread or pita bread too. Pretzels and cheddar cheese are a favorite. Cheese crackers or Cheez-Its are my go to many times just for my queasiness. Apples with cheese or caramel. Brownie or cookie with milk. Pickles & olives.

I'm not sure if I qualify as a snacker, more like an all day grazer. I've never been one to eat a huge meal.

I like hummus with baby carrots, Naan bread or pita bread too. Pretzels and cheddar cheese are a favorite. Cheese crackers or Cheez-Its are my go to many times just for my queasiness. Apples with cheese or caramel. Brownie or cookie with milk. Pickles & olives.
A funny story about Cheez-Its and the pandemic.

The first few weeks of the pandemic we really thought it was going to be a long snowday/week. We ordered snack foods we didn't normally order. My DH thought he was ordering 3 boxes of regular sized grocery boxes of Cheez-its from Costco.

We received three BOXES of 45 packets apiece. Needless to say, they expired and have been thrown out.

Lesson learned......

Well my garden survived the storm. Most of the plants are a bit tilted. The tomato "tree" is even more tilted. But nothing was ripped from it's roots. I'll get out there tomorrow and see what I can stake up.

I picked green beans twice and will hopefully have another batch soon. I roasted them in the cast iron skillet with onion, garlic, pepper, salt and butter. They were delicious!

I was craving Shake n Bake Chicken and finally made it today. Did you know the mix doesn't come with a plastic bag anymore? I kept looking for it and finally read the directions. It says to use a plate. It really hit the spot.
I love to see your food pics and garden pics. Thanks for sharing! I am glad you and your garden weathered the big storms down there.

I've been following and posting on this thread since it was started during the pandemic and don't recall that we've ever talked about our favorite "snack" foods. I'm sure we all have snacking habits, and I'm curious about whether your choices lean towards, savory, salty, or sweet? Do you choose "healthy" snack foods, or do you like "junk" food? When you need a mid-morning, late afternoon, or nighttime shack, what do you eat?

I rarely crave sweets, so my snack choices are usually savory or salty. I like Sociables crackers and Triscuits by themselves or with Laughing Cow wedges. I also like Wasa crispbreads with LC or peanut butter. I like apple slices with PB, pears with blue cheese, and bananas with PB. Hummus with mini carrots, pita or naan is a favorite snack, and I love pretzels and nuts. Occasionally I'll eat tortilla chips with guacamole, but I don't care for most salsas. If I don't have yogurt for breakfast, it's a nice snack, and I also enjoy a 10oz. can of V-8. I usually have some lactose-free protein shakes in the pantry and will have one with fresh fruit blended in once in a while.

A clipper moved through overnight, and we ended up with about an inch of snow. It's cold, dark, and dreary, but it's winter in Michigan, so it's no big deal. We're meeting friends for dinner at Picano's this evening. We haven't seen them since the pandemic started and have a lot of catching up to do.
I am not a big snacker. When I do, I like popcorn, chocolate and granola bars. I am more if a dessert eater. That is a snack ;)after dinner, right? Almond milk ice cream and candy are my weakness. I tell Mr Pirate to not let me bring any home. But alas…

The first few weeks of the pandemic we really thought it was going to be a long snowday/week. We ordered snack foods we didn't normally order. My DH thought he was ordering 3 boxes of regular sized grocery boxes of Cheez-its from Costco.

We received three BOXES of 45 packets apiece. Needless to say, they expired and have been thrown out.

Lesson learned......
Funny I did the same thing early on in the pandemic. I ordered on line groceries with delivery. I figured I deserved a treat what with such stressful times. I ordered a box of Coco-Puffs. Little did I realize I had ordered the industrial size. Maybe they subbed it, who knows. But I am not going to lie. I ate the WHOLE giant bag of them eventually. I swear they came in this huge plastic bag. I was kookoo for Coco-Puffs.

I love to see your food pics and garden pics. Thanks for sharing! I am glad you and your garden weathered the big storms down there.
I spent the next day in the garden fixing all my tilted plants! I swear I have a tomato tree, not a plant. I keep praying it holds up and doesn't fall over before all those big tomatoes ripen.

We are getting another storm tomorrow so ya'll pray for my 'maters!!! I really want to can marinara this year.

My Japanese Cucumbers are coming in!

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2786.jpeg
    IMG_2786.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2782.jpeg
    IMG_2782.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 13

Lesson learned......
See, I think I would have managed to somehow eat them ALL. Maybe.
:oops: :p
I love Cheez-its and their toasty goodness.

My Dad and I used to always have a good-natured argument about Cheese Nips vs Cheez-its. He liked Cheese Nips, and I liked Cheez-its. lol

RBBM: Cupcakes were the first thing that popped into my mind! Idk why but they'd be fun to make and pass the time.

I love this snack discussion :p I'm a salty & savory person all the way.

I like to take tortilla wraps and brush them with a little bit of oil and chili powder, then cut into triangles and toast them until they're crisp. Make some smashed avocado "dip" with greek yogurt etc. Sometimes I also do refried beans with greek yogurt and fajita seasoning as the "dip".

One of my favorite sweet "snacks" is a really good cup of steeped tea with a Stroopwafel. Or, warm Nutella with toast "fingers". Yes, I am still a little kid with my snacks!

*edited to add: I second a V8! They're just so easy to take on the go. Also, melba toast with cream cheese is another comfort snack.

My snack tastes vary. Lately it’s been sweet but I’m trying to be mindful. MIL made gluten-free cupcakes and they immediately went into freezer for long term storage. On weekends I’ll have an apple with peanut butter, yesterday I ate a Texas red grapefruit like an orange for a snack. Bobs oat bars can be in the rotation. I’ve been making a lot of Greek yogurt into black cherry jello for something sweet and creamy. Lately for a bedtime snack it’s been a cup of lemon ginger tea with 2 homemade snickerdoodles, again stored in freezer so we can pace ourselves.

Usually I’m a salty snack eater, chips and salsa are a particular favorite. I made some ranch dip with Greek yogurt and a ranch packet for fresh carrots and celery.

MIL is a big snacker, popcorn, oyster crackers, goldfish, Cheetos, frozen mini butterfingers, grapes, pretzels, tortilla chips.

Hubby likes potato chips with ranch dip or tortilla chips with jalapeno cheese dip. He’s been on a big root beer float kick. He’ll grab mozzarella sticks or a corn dog when he’s out and about as well.

Winter storm on its way for us, too. We stopped at Nino's on our way out for dinner last night to get some staples in case we can't go out tomorrow. Heavy snow is expected to arrive this afternoon and continue overnight and tomorrow. Wind is already howling, and it will turn very cold over the weekend. We have a gas fireplace that keeps us warm if the power goes out, candles and flashlights in the dark, food, snacks, and wine for sustenance. :)

Last edited:
Ever pour a bowl of cereal only to find out you’re out of milk? Or you go to make a sandwich, and all that was left of the bread was the heel?

A trip to the grocery store to replenish such items might take a day or two (sometimes three, in my case). And yet, we survive. Our kids survive. So why is it that the mere mention of a snowstorm sends some people right into a food-buying frenzy?

Turns out, there’s a science behind it.

“There’s a growing psychology literature on decision making which shows that we are often not rational or logical in how we weigh the risks of various events,” said University of Georgia psychology professor Dr. Janet Frick. “So apparently where weather is concerned, we are not terribly worried about getting struck by lightning, but we are terrified of the idea of having to make a meal from items in our pantry that doesn’t include bread and milk.”...

Snackers! Beware, yet another recall.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/12/business/quaker-oats-recall?cid=ios_app Quaker Oats recall: Cap’n Crunch cereal, granola bars and more pulled over possible salmonella risk
Yet no mention of the damage they do to countless mouths every day?! I'm kidding! That is serious and I feel terrible for whoever might get sick from it. A few weeks ago it was bad cantaloupe yet they were selling it at McDonalds with breakfast.

@BetteDavisEyes We're finally getting that weather you mentioned. Also more of the weather I mentioned, as in waayyy more! Heavy slush snow, lots of branches down all over bc they cannot hold the weight of the wet snow. It's not safe really.

I had to get my kitty all of his favorite snacks and supplies and the trip home was like being pummeled by soggy snowballs. But now he has his little stash and is content that his person isn't leaving again.

Yet no mention of the damage they do to countless mouths every day?! I'm kidding! That is serious and I feel terrible for whoever might get sick from it. A few weeks ago it was bad cantaloupe yet they were selling it at McDonalds with breakfast.

@BetteDavisEyes We're finally getting that weather you mentioned. Also more of the weather I mentioned, as in waayyy more! Heavy slush snow, lots of branches down all over bc they cannot hold the weight of the wet snow. It's not safe really.

I had to get my kitty all of his favorite snacks and supplies and the trip home was like being pummeled by soggy snowballs. But now he has his little stash and is content that his person isn't leaving again.
The recent recall of applesauce contaminated with lead was an especially terrible. How many toddlers are served applesauce frequently? Over 2,000 times higher than proposed safety limits for lead is unbelievable.

One sample of cinnamon used as an ingredient in the recalled WanaBana apple cinnamon fruit puree contained lead levels that were more than 2,000 times higher than proposed safety limits, the Food and Drug Administration said Monday.

The FDA tested samples of the spice as it investigates cases of lead poisoning in children in the U.S. that are linked to contaminated cinnamon applesauce pouches. As of Tuesday, at least 69 cases had been reported to the agency.

On Friday, the FDA said in a statement that the lead contamination in the cinnamon pouches may be the result of economically motivated adulteration, also known as “food fraud.”

According to the FDA, food fraud can happen when a cheaper ingredient is added to a product to enhance it or bulk it up, but is not disclosed. One example highlighted by the agency is when lead-based dyes are added to spices to give the product a certain color

I love Cheez-Its, I don’t dare buy them by the single, family size box because it’s too hard to stop eating them. So I’ve been buying the boxes with the small snack size bags. Perfect, for me and my fur baby, who loves them as much as me. I know they’re not typically something we should feed our dogs, but I don’t give him a whole bag or anything, lol…. and he’s almost 15 y/o and very sadly won’t be with us that much longer. So he gets extra goodies and extra spoiled. I even started making homemade food for him a while back, that he loves. I just want to make him happy as possible the time we have left with him.
Every time I talk about it I start crying so I have to be quiet about it now.
I know my fellow dog lovers here know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member