Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if I qualify as a snacker, more like an all day grazer. I've never been one to eat a huge meal.

I like hummus with baby carrots, Naan bread or pita bread too. Pretzels and cheddar cheese are a favorite. Cheese crackers or Cheez-Its are my go to many times just for my queasiness. Apples with cheese or caramel. Brownie or cookie with milk. Pickles & olives.
I can relate to foods you like to eat when you’re queasy from your meds, @PayrollNerd . Years ago, back in the 90’s , I had to undergo several months of very strong chemotherapy treatments. For some strange reason, one thing I could eat when I was sick from the treatments, was Taco Bell bean burritos. Go figure.
Shoot, I still love those things, but don’t go to Taco Bell very often. So sometimes I make my own bean and cheese burritos for a quick and easy lunch, using low carb tortillas and Fritos bean dip, add onions and cheese, and serve with Taco Bell sauce. I think they’re quite good. :D

I can relate to foods you like to eat when you’re queasy from your meds, @PayrollNerd . Years ago, back in the 90’s , I had to undergo several months of very strong chemotherapy treatments. For some strange reason, one thing I could eat when I was sick from the treatments, was Taco Bell bean burritos. Go figure.
Shoot, I still love those things, but don’t go to Taco Bell very often. So sometimes I make my own bean and cheese burritos for a quick and easy lunch, using low carb tortillas and Fritos bean dip, add onions and cheese, and serve with Taco Bell sauce. I think they’re quite good. :D
Once I started on chemo (2017) my taste buds must have been affected. I'm guessing it is like this for most cancer patients.

Some foods I used to really like, don't taste as good, like potatoes and bread. Some foods, just looking at them is nauseating, particularly desserts.

I went to the church for the food pickup this morning. Then I heard the quarterly food pickup at the Oriel's stadium was also today . So I went over there too. Now I have plenty of food and had kiddo come over and "shop" because there was so much. I packed up a Free Food box for the curb too.

I'm always surprised at the unique items they give us. Olive oil in a can, cubed chicken, orange blossom honey, Yum Yum Sauce, Pedialite vanilla shake, a roll of paper towels. They actually asked me if I wanted turkey, chicken or beef! I chose beef since I didn't have any.

Kiddo can drink ginger ale and actually prefers it to 7-Up. That will help her if she's sick. She's been making her own bagels and was happy with the bag of flour.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.jpeg
    IMG_2835.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2831.jpeg
    IMG_2831.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2830.jpeg
    IMG_2830.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2826.jpeg
    IMG_2826.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2825.jpeg
    IMG_2825.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 28
When my son and DIL visited us for Christmas, DIL did a lot of cooking. She made no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies that were yummy. I'd never had them before. I'm not sure what recipe she was using, but here's one that could be it. I always have the needed ingredients so I may have to make some.

I went to the church for the food pickup this morning. Then I heard the quarterly food pickup at the Oriel's stadium was also today . So I went over there too. Now I have plenty of food and had kiddo come over and "shop" because there was so much. I packed up a Free Food box for the curb too.

I'm always surprised at the unique items they give us. Olive oil in a can, cubed chicken, orange blossom honey, Yum Yum Sauce, Pedialite vanilla shake, a roll of paper towels. They actually asked me if I wanted turkey, chicken or beef! I chose beef since I didn't have any.

Kiddo can drink ginger ale and actually prefers it to 7-Up. That will help her if she's sick. She's been making her own bagels and was happy with the bag of flour.
I need to find something like this where I live! You always get interesting items and it never hurts to add to the stock pile. The power went out here this morning for about an hour and I realized quickly I have no supplies or emergency stash and this kind of thing would be perfect to help supplement a kit.

When my son and DIL visited us for Christmas, DIL did a lot of cooking. She made no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies that were yummy. I'd never had them before. I'm not sure what recipe she was using, but here's one that could be it. I always have the needed ingredients so I may have to make some.
Omg, I used to make those all the time, years and years ago. They are so good! I even had come up with a semi low carb version at one time, but I don’t remember how I did it. But they are so good, I think I might just make some.

One recipe from the pantry that I have made quite a bit when I am low on provisions is a baked macaroni and cheese starting with Kraft or Annie’s boxed mac & cheese.

I always keep several boxes of Kraft or Annie’s in my pantry in case I have to whip up an unexpected meal.

Prepare two boxes of Kraft mac & cheese or three boxes of Annie’s (Annie’s boxes are smaller) according to package directions. After it is prepared, place in a baking dish.

Mix one cup of milk and two eggs, then pour evenly over the mac & cheese. Shred some cheddar or any other cheese you have on hand on top. Then bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the cheese melts and the top is slightly brown.

You can also add bread crumbs to the top before baking if you want. Usually though, if I am low on food supplies it means I am out of bread.

You can easily double this recipe too. It tastes like homemade baked mac & cheese, not really like a gourmet mac & cheese but definitely better than just a boxed mix cooked on the stove.

I need to find something like this where I live! You always get interesting items and it never hurts to add to the stock pile. The power went out here this morning for about an hour and I realized quickly I have no supplies or emergency stash and this kind of thing would be perfect to help supplement a kit.
You can put in your zip code and participating food pantries will pop up. Then you zoom in on the one you want to visit. Some are based on income but some will help regardless.

They realize they give us more than we need. They ask us to distribute it in the community. They know there’s people who don’t quite qualify but are struggling. Plus not as much gets wasted.

I used to make these before I knew we were allergic to peanuts. I thought about trying them with sunflower butter. However, it’s too runny. I haven’t thought of a way to make it thicker.

I love Cheez-Its, I don’t dare buy them by the single, family size box because it’s too hard to stop eating them. So I’ve been buying the boxes with the small snack size bags. Perfect, for me and my fur baby, who loves them as much as me. I know they’re not typically something we should feed our dogs, but I don’t give him a whole bag or anything, lol…. and he’s almost 15 y/o and very sadly won’t be with us that much longer. So he gets extra goodies and extra spoiled. I even started making homemade food for him a while back, that he loves. I just want to make him happy as possible the time we have left with him.
Every time I talk about it I start crying so I have to be quiet about it now.
I know my fellow dog lovers here know what I mean.
Our beloved Jack Russell Terrier had nearly 16 amazing years with us. We got him when he was 7 weeks old, and he quickly became part of our family. He traveled with us to Chicago, Santa Monica (flying), and many visits to Mackinac Island. In his youth, he developed bladder stones a few times and was put on a special low-protein diet. The canned Science Diet food looked and smelled awful, and he was reluctant to eat it, so we started mixing the dry version with the canned. He must have liked the "crunch" of the dry food and didn't balk at eating that stuff for years. Vet had told us that he could have plain chicken breast occasionally, and the fact that he liked veggies was a good thing because that gave him a little variety with his prescription diet. Milk Bone treats were fine, and Greenies came out shortly before we lost our little guy. He loved cheese, but we had to limit how much he could have. When he began to lose his appetite, vet suggested scrambled eggs.

Your pooch is lucky to have you as his mom, and I'm sure he appreciates your efforts in caring for him. Hugs for both of you.

Last edited:
I took the loaf of bread and sliced it longways. I put butter on it first, then tomato sauce, then dried basil, salt & garlic powder. Added Monteray Jack cheese, then tomatoes, then mozzarella cheese. Baked it at 400 deg for 10-15 min. Elvis thinks I'm going to share.....nope.

Attachments

• IMG_2839.jpeg
    IMG_2839.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 25
Our beloved Jack Russell Terrier had nearly 16 amazing years with us. We got him when he was 7 weeks old, and he quickly became part of our family. He traveled with us to Chicago, Santa Monica (flying), and many visits to Mackinac Island. In his youth, he developed bladder stones a few times and was put on a special low-protein diet. The canned Science Diet food looked and smelled awful, and he was reluctant to eat it, so we started mixing the dry version with the canned. He must have liked the "crunch" of the dry food and didn't balk at eating that stuff for years. Vet had told us that he could have plain chicken breast occasionally, and the fact that he liked veggies was a good thing because that gave him a little variety with his prescription diet. Milk Bone treats were fine, and Greenies came out shortly before we lost our little guy. He loved cheese, but we had to limit how much he could have. When he began to lose his appetite, vet suggested scrambled eggs.

Your pooch is lucky to have you as his mom, and I'm sure he appreciates your efforts in caring for him. Hugs for both of you.
Our last standard poodle was a beautiful rescue boy from a bad situation. As bad as it gets - he had his own episode of RSPCA Animal Rescue on the tv. And we forever had trouble keeping weight on him. A good portion of his life, we fed him working dog food, the high calorie stuff they make for sheepdogs. The last year of his life, when he developed some kind of neurological issues we never got to the bottom of, we were cutting his food with offal to try and pique his interest in it. You can get chicken innards from the supermarket. I'm sure there are regional dishes and stuff like pate folks make out of them for people, but in our house, it was all going in Pippin's dog bowl. I miss him, but I don't miss the chicken innards.

Thank you @BetteDavisEyes . May I ask, did you get another dog after you lost your Jack Russell?

Thank you @BetteDavisEyes . May I ask, did you get another dog after you lost your Jack Russell?
No. We decided not to get another dog. That's why we take care of the squirrels during the winter months. They are so cute when they come to get their daily dose of whole walnuts on the deck. Prior to the JRT, we had two other dogs who both lived to age 13. The friends that we met for dinner last week have a rescue dog who is nearly 11. We bought Greenies and were happy to know that she likes them.

You can put in your zip code and participating food pantries will pop up. Then you zoom in on the one you want to visit. Some are based on income but some will help regardless.

They realize they give us more than we need. They ask us to distribute it in the community. They know there’s people who don’t quite qualify but are struggling. Plus not as much gets wasted.

Oh it won't work for me in Canada :confused: I'm sure there is something equivalent in my town. I mean, we have foodbanks but I would save that for a different kind of emergency.

Thank you so much for sharing the link tho, that's an awesome resource :)

One recipe from the pantry that I have made quite a bit when I am low on provisions is a baked macaroni and cheese starting with Kraft or Annie’s boxed mac & cheese.

I always keep several boxes of Kraft or Annie’s in my pantry in case I have to whip up an unexpected meal.

Prepare two boxes of Kraft mac & cheese or three boxes of Annie’s (Annie’s boxes are smaller) according to package directions. After it is prepared, place in a baking dish.

Mix one cup of milk and two eggs, then pour evenly over the mac & cheese. Shred some cheddar or any other cheese you have on hand on top. Then bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the cheese melts and the top is slightly brown.

You can also add bread crumbs to the top before baking if you want. Usually though, if I am low on food supplies it means I am out of bread.

You can easily double this recipe too. It tastes like homemade baked mac & cheese, not really like a gourmet mac & cheese but definitely better than just a boxed mix cooked on the stove.
I do something similar as a regular homemade mac and cheese, except I make a cheese sauce without the powder cheese after cooking the noodles. I add the butter, flour and then some minced onion, mustard, paprika, garlic, s&p, then the milk and cheese. Somewhere in that process, temper an egg but cannot recall which step! Mix into the noodles and top with more cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake until crispy and golden.

I usually have a container of breadcrumbs or panko in the cupboard and save the ends of the bread loaves for this exact reason.

With the deep freeze we're in right now, I'm thinking about supplies for an emergency kit. It might sound awful to some but I'd like to get some dehydrated/powdered eggs. I found an outdoor supply shop that carries them but it's $12 for the equivalent of 6 eggs which seems steep to me.

It "feels like" -21 according to the weather network but how badly do I want Maggi noodles with an egg? I'd like to bake some cookies later on. Didn't anticipate such a drop in the temp :oops:

It is bitterly cold for the second of three days of Arctic air. School closings started during the early evening news last night with many more added to the list by 11:00PM. Tomorrow might be even colder, so kids will probably get another day off. Even with flannel pjs, flannel sheets, a blanket, fiberfill comforter, and furnace running, I could not get warm enough overnight. Comfort food will be on tonight's menu even if DH stops at Nino's after his swim. I'm thinking refried beans with Mexican rice. I plan to make a huge pot (or slow cooker) of Bolognese tomorrow. I'll use 1/2# each of ground round and Italian sausage and use the other 1/2# of each for meatballs. We'll have pasta with Bolognese and meatballs a few times this week, and I'll freeze some, too. If you're somewhere very cold right now, please stay safe and warm.

Last edited:
I made New England clam chowder for the first time last night. DH helped with the prep work by chopping up the potatoes, onions and celery. It was perfect with the frigid temps we are having right now.
We had it with this very tasty jalapeño cheese sour dough bread from our local grocer. A simple but wholesome meal. I used a lighter recipe than most, no heavy cream and no dairy butter, and it turned out surprisingly good.
I used a recipe given to me by my DIL, but this recipe is very close. I actually subbed about a cup and a half of the 2% Fairlife milk with chicken stock which lightened it up a bit more. We’re just not big on a lot of dairy fat.

It is bitterly cold for the second of three days of Arctic air. School closings started during the early evening news last night with many more added to the list by 11:00PM. Tomorrow might be even colder, so kids will probably get another day off. Even with flannel pjs, flannel sheets, a blanket, fiberfill comforter, and furnace running, I could not get warm enough overnight. Comfort food will be on tonight's menu even if DH stops at Nino's after his swim. I'm thinking refried beans with Mexican rice. I plan to make a huge pot (or slow cooker) of Bolognese tomorrow. I'll use 1/2# each of ground round and Italian sausage and use the other 1/2# of each for meatballs. We'll have pasta with Bolognese and meatballs a few times this week, and I'll freeze some, too. If you're somewhere very cold right now, please stay safe and warm.
That sounds really cold! Perhaps you could use some tips on keeping warm from the late cartoonist George Booth ;). (Some require cats or other animals! The lace catnip comforter is a favorite of mine.)
1705431057656.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members