Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We make a very similar recipe for Tater Tot breakfast casserole but since we are vegetarian we don’t use meat in the recipe. We use more cheese, putting half the cheese into the egg mixture and sprinkling the rest on top.

I make this recipe to use up leftovers, as you mentioned it is a very forgiving recipe. I often end up with small chucks of different types of cheeses, and I just shred them and mix them together in this casserole.

I also use whatever fresh vegetables I have, just chopping them up and adding in.

No matter what cheeses or veggies I add in, it always turns out to be tasty.

I have also used shredded hash browns instead of tater tots, and it turns out very well too.

If I ever want to dress it up a little (like when I am taking it to a breakfast or brunch get together) I make some round depressions on top (by pressing a large spoon or the bottom of a measuring cup) and crack an egg into each one.

I make a Mexican version too, mixing some hot sauce in with the egg mixture, and using a Mexican cheese blend. Then I serve with salsa and sour cream on the side. You can add chopped jalapeños too if you like.
When the girls were home, I’d split it into 3 small glass baking dishes. They'd each added their own items after I mixed the eggs. Like you mentioned, whatever we had on hand, steamed broccoli was a big hit. Then, of course being kids, they ate right out of their baking dish. No plates. Then about 2 years later - boom - food allergies in the youngest exploded. No more eggs for her now.

An alternate to tater tots is potato patties similar to McDs hash brown. We had to cut them in quarters so the eggs would get down in between them. FYI: You also have to check the ingredients because many will add wheat to potato patties.

That reminds me, if you end up with any bread going stale, bread pudding would be a lovely thing at this time. I had it once with lemon sauce and that was the best.
We use stale bread for French toast - I’ve never made bread pudding though may need to try that as white bread was the only bread we could get and we are nearing the end of that second loafs’ life

When the girls were home, I’d split it into 3 small glass baking dishes. They'd each added their own items after I mixed the eggs. Like you mentioned, whatever we had on hand, steamed broccoli was a big hit. Then, of course being kids, they ate right out of their baking dish. No plates. Then about 2 years later - boom - food allergies in the youngest exploded. No more eggs for her now.

An alternate to tater tots is potato patties similar to McDs hash brown. We had to cut them in quarters so the eggs would get down in between them. FYI: You also have to check the ingredients because many will add wheat to potato patties.
Using individual baking dishes is a great idea. I have about a dozen little ramekins in 6 oz and 8 oz size, I never thought about using them for Tater Tot casserole. Will have to try it.

I make individual little lasagnes in them, they look very pretty to serve at get togethers.

Also I use them to make individual mac & cheeses so I can vary the heat level. I make a Buffalo Mac & Cheese recipe that I prepare with different levels of spice. Just like chicken wings, some like them very hot and others prefer milder. So I bake a range of heat levels and let everyone choose their own.

We use stale bread for French toast - I’ve never made bread pudding though may need to try that as white bread was the only bread we could get and we are nearing the end of that second loafs’ life
I do this too and put them on a cooling rack so they don't get soggy. What doesn't get eaten is wrapped individually in waxed paper, slid in a big baggie and frozen. Then when someone wants it, pop it in the toaster or toaster oven.

One-Dish Dinners for the Entire Week

One-pot meals are the busy mom’s dream come true. Not just because they can often be made ahead of time, but also because they reduce kitchen clutter, chaos, and — most important — cleanup. Take a look at these one-pot meals for inspiration, then let your imagination and taste buds run wild. The only limitation is the number of cooking vessels...

https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/art...rch&utm_campaign=article&utm_content=crm-paid

Using individual baking dishes is a great idea. I have about a dozen little ramekins in 6 oz and 8 oz size, I never thought about using them for Tater Tot casserole. Will have to try it.

I make individual little lasagnes in them, they look very pretty to serve at get togethers.

Also I use them to make individual mac & cheeses so I can vary the heat level. I make a Buffalo Mac & Cheese recipe that I prepare with different levels of spice. Just like chicken wings, some like them very hot and others prefer milder. So I bake a range of heat levels and let everyone choose their own.

We frequent (well not right now) a local restaurant that has phenomenal french fries. DH and I can never finish them so we use the leftover fries as the base rather than hash browns. The egg, meat, veggie, cheese filling varies; often using other leftovers. Most often it will be taco seasoned ground turkey, onion, mushroom and broccoli with the eggs. I bake mine in a stoneware round pan and cut it in pie shaped slices. I have some pretty oval "pot pie" pans and might make the individual ones whenever the kids can come over. Would be good because I can make my GD's simpler and leave out the meat for those who prefer without.
DH and I eat it for brunch or dinner with a salad on the side or sometimes I put the greens on top and then I bring leftovers for lunch at work the next day.

Back in the 70's and 80's there was a government program that purchased milk, to keep the prices up for dairy farmers. They made this government cheese, and gave it away to older people, people with disabilities, low income, on the rez. It was a huge 5 lb. block of American cheese.

I have heard about "government cheese" and wondered what that was. Maybe they will start that up again, or shops should stop restricting sales of milk to people.

Man, I would love a 5 lb block of American cheese right now. :) Can’t wait for my groceries to get here in a few days. I’m about to gnaw on my arm.

I used to get plenty of it for my little family when I had four children age five and under. It’s so yummy. You’re making me crave it just reading your post. Along with it, we got beans and peanut butter.

Eta: Darn it, I just went searching for cheese in the fridge. I had my crackers ready and all. None there. I’m gonna be thinking about it all day is.

Back in the 90's I was given a five pound block of government cheese. It was so good. I have often wished I could get my hands on some more!

Bringing this conversation over from the main thread to the recipe thread. All this talk of cheese is timely as just yesterday I was trying to figure out if I could make cheese at home. The last time I shopped my little grocery store was wiped out of every brand of chunk cheese except for the store brand and some Amish made cheese. We're brand loyal and I can't buy most pre-shredded cheese because of food allergies but after carefully checking the ingredient lists I bought some Amish made cheese and it was wonderful. Anyway, that got me thinking I might need to start finding an Amish store in the future to buy more from them or maybe I should make my own.

I wanted to make Parmesan and cheddar, two of our favorites. But they require too many special ingredients and tools and take way too long (over a year for parm to cure! :eek: ). And I don't have a cheese cave nor wine fridge to devote to cheese making. So scrapping that idea, I started look for the easiest, fastest types of cheese to make. I found a couple recipe that I immediately printed to put in my arsenal for later. I think I can make these without buying anything other than some butter muslin:

Queso Blanco (just milk and vinegar): Queso Blanco Recipe

Lemon Cheese (just milk and lemon): Lemon Cheese Recipe

Yogurt Cheese (I already have homemade yogurt): How To Make Labneh (Yogurt Cheese) - Cultures for Health

Ricotta from whey (I didn't drain my yogurt this time but if I do end up draining a batch I'm making this from the whey): The Easiest Ricotta Recipe

Anyway, back to the above posts on American cheese. Those who are missing it can possibly make their own American cheese too. This recipe looks fairly easy if you can find the ingredients:
  • 1½ teaspoons unflavored gelatin
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 12 ounces Colby cheese
    (shredded fine (about 3 cups))
  • 1 tablespoon whole dry milk powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
  • ½ cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk
https://www.browneyedbaker.com/diy-american-cheese/

I don't love American cheese the way some of you do, but I might try making some just because it seems like it would stretch a small block of Colby cheese further. And that recipe says the American cheese will keep for a month in the fridge. Wow! I have everything to make American cheese except the Colby. I will definitely be looking for some the next time I shop. :D

Since it's Good Friday, I'm making a batch of hot cross buns today: The traditional Easter sweet bun, without the gluten

I am thinking about making some too. I want to make Easter special this year. Going to really do a deep housecleaning on Saturday.

At least, we can hide our own Easter eggs. Oh, Easter is such a fun holiday with little ones.

Mozzarella cheese is easy to make at home, you can even buy a kit on Amazon.

I am thinking about making some too. I want to make Easter special this year. Going to really do a deep housecleaning on Saturday.

At least, we can hide our own Easter eggs. Oh, Easter is such a fun holiday with little ones.

Mozzarella cheese is easy to make at home, you can even buy a kit on Amazon.

I have to admit, it's been hard to work up the enthusiasm to bake this year when we won't be getting together with family and many people are suffering and dying from coronavirus. Normally we would be helping hide plastic eggs filled with candy all over our church grounds for the kids to find and going to an Easter passion play in the evening. But all those things were canceled. Our church is hosting online services but it's not the same. But I also decided we should make things special this year.

We won't be having a big Easter dinner with ham or turkey but I decided to make something I don't make very often. I'm making Greek Pastitsio with ground lamb for our Easter dinner on Sunday. My recipe is similar to this one (only with GF pasta and flour): My Big Fat Greek Pastitsio Recipe - Food.com

I'm cooking the pasta and making the meat sauce in advance on Saturday so that on Sunday all I have to do is make the bechamel sauce and assemble the layers while the oven heats up. It freezes well after cooking. So if we don't feel like eating Pastitsio all week long we will freeze a couple meals for a treat later in the year.

Bringing this conversation over from the main thread to the recipe thread. All this talk of cheese is timely as just yesterday I was trying to figure out if I could make cheese at home. The last time I shopped my little grocery store was wiped out of every brand of chunk cheese except for the store brand and some Amish made cheese. We're brand loyal and I can't buy most pre-shredded cheese because of food allergies but after carefully checking the ingredient lists I bought some Amish made cheese and it was wonderful. Anyway, that got me thinking I might need to start finding an Amish store in the future to buy more from them or maybe I should make my own.

I wanted to make Parmesan and cheddar, two of our favorites. But they require too many special ingredients and tools and take way too long (over a year for parm to cure! :eek: ). And I don't have a cheese cave nor wine fridge to devote to cheese making. So scrapping that idea, I started look for the easiest, fastest types of cheese to make. I found a couple recipe that I immediately printed to put in my arsenal for later. I think I can make these without buying anything other than some butter muslin:

Queso Blanco (just milk and vinegar): Queso Blanco Recipe

Lemon Cheese (just milk and lemon): Lemon Cheese Recipe

Yogurt Cheese (I already have homemade yogurt): How To Make Labneh (Yogurt Cheese) - Cultures for Health

Ricotta from whey (I didn't drain my yogurt this time but if I do end up draining a batch I'm making this from the whey): The Easiest Ricotta Recipe

Anyway, back to the above posts on American cheese. Those who are missing it can possibly make their own American cheese too. This recipe looks fairly easy if you can find the ingredients:
  • 1½ teaspoons unflavored gelatin
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 12 ounces Colby cheese
    (shredded fine (about 3 cups))
  • 1 tablespoon whole dry milk powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
  • ½ cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk
https://www.browneyedbaker.com/diy-american-cheese/

I don't love American cheese the way some of you do, but I might try making some just because it seems like it would stretch a small block of Colby cheese further. And that recipe says the American cheese will keep for a month in the fridge. Wow! I have everything to make American cheese except the Colby. I will definitely be looking for some the next time I shop. :D
That “government cheese” is part of the USDA food distribution program. You can contact your local food bank and see if you qualify. You automatically qualify if you’re on Medicare, disabled, unemployed, or low income based on family size.

The definition of USDA Groceries means you get
1. a protein source like frozen meat, cans of tuna/chicken, peanut butter, lunch meat, cheese, milk, eggs, etc. Many times you get multiple items.
2. Fruits and vegs. They are either fresh or canned or a combo of both.
3. Many times there are dry goods included like pasta, rice, dried beans, etc.
4. Some of the churches that participate add paper products, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent and deodorant.

They don’t do those blocks of cheese like they used to. Now it’s contributions from local stores and purchases from food distributors. The distributions in our county are now drive thru. You show your card thru your window, pop your trunk, they drop in bags of food and you drive away. They wear gloves and masks. My kid unloads and cleans everything for me.

ETA: I know most of you read my other posts describing this program, so my apologies for repeating, but just in case a new reader doesn’t know, they will now. Spread the word to your friends and family. No one should be going hungry. You can apply and assign an alternate pick up person if you need to.

SKINNY CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
This Cheesy Rotisserie Chicken Enchilada Skillet dinner is about as fast as enchiladas can get, and that’s because it’s not really enchiladas—it’s a tortilla casserole made all in one cooking vessel.
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • ½ onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 16-ounce jar enchilada sauce (I used my own, homemade)
  • 1/4 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
  • 4 corn tortillas, torn into quarters
  • 1 2½-pound rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about
  • 4 cups shredded chicken)
  • 1 15-ounce can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 ounces shredded cheese, such as a Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella (about 3/4 cup)
  • jalapeño peppers and chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
SAVE
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat the oven to 500°F.
  • Heat the oil in a 10-inch oven-safe (preferably cast- iron) skillet over medium heat.
  • Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
  • Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl; set aside the hot skillet.
  • Add the enchilada sauce, sour cream, and 1/4 cup water to the onion mixture and stir to combine.
  • Fold in the tortillas, chicken, and beans until thoroughly coated.
  • Spoon the mixture into the reserved skillet and cook over medium heat until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese all over the top and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 5 minutes.
  • Let cool slightly, then top the enchiladas with sour cream, jalapeños, and cilantro (if desired) and serve directly from the skillet at the table.
VIDEO

There was discussion of chick peas (garbanzos) and heirloom tomatoes on this thread or the grocery shopping thread a while ago. This dish was prepared on Food Network's The Kitchen yesterday. The stuffed tomatoes look delicious!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/herby-stuffed-tomatoes-8548314
That looks good minus the ginger (allergic). I would never had thought to put honey in them. My kid was roasting a pan of seasoned broccoli and chickpeas the other night. Last night she made a pot of yellow split pea soup with potatoes. I need to try out her creations later today.

SKINNY CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
This Cheesy Rotisserie Chicken Enchilada Skillet dinner is about as fast as enchiladas can get, and that’s because it’s not really enchiladas—it’s a tortilla casserole made all in one cooking vessel.
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • ½ onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 16-ounce jar enchilada sauce (I used my own, homemade)
  • 1/4 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
  • 4 corn tortillas, torn into quarters
  • 1 2½-pound rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about
  • 4 cups shredded chicken)
  • 1 15-ounce can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 ounces shredded cheese, such as a Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella (about 3/4 cup)
  • jalapeño peppers and chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
SAVE
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat the oven to 500°F.
  • Heat the oil in a 10-inch oven-safe (preferably cast- iron) skillet over medium heat.
  • Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
  • Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl; set aside the hot skillet.
  • Add the enchilada sauce, sour cream, and 1/4 cup water to the onion mixture and stir to combine.
  • Fold in the tortillas, chicken, and beans until thoroughly coated.
  • Spoon the mixture into the reserved skillet and cook over medium heat until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese all over the top and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 5 minutes.
  • Let cool slightly, then top the enchiladas with sour cream, jalapeños, and cilantro (if desired) and serve directly from the skillet at the table.
VIDEO
This sounds good. I have a countertop rotisserie and make whole chickens, debone them and use it for enchiladas, quesadillas, etc. When I do meal prep enchiladas, are one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove