Forensic reports in

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question it does NOT answer, so far, is when those attempts at cleaning were done. IE: was it done by KC and abandoned due to not working, and thus the potential kidnap scenario developed but the scent just got stronger, or by the gpa's when they picked up the car?

Hi Blink, Do you think that KC moved the body on the 18/19th? I posted earlier that the cell phone info shows a lapse in use that was unusual for KC.

Theory

Luminol is used by crime scene investigators to locate traces of blood, even if it has been cleaned or removed. The investigator prepares a solution of luminol and the activator and sprays it throughout the area under investigation. The iron present in any blood in the area catalyzes the chemical reaction that leads to the luminesence revealing the location of the blood.

The amount of catalyst necessary for the reaction to occur is very small relative to the amount of luminol, allowing the detection of even trace amounts of blood. The glow lasts for about 30 seconds and is blue. Detecting the glow requires a fairly dark room. Any glow detected may be documented by a long exposure photograph.

Drawbacks

Luminol has some drawbacks that may limit its use in a crime scene investigation:

Luminol also fluoresces in the presence of copper or an alloy of copper, horseradish, and certain bleaches; and, as a result, if a crime scene is thoroughly cleaned with a bleach solution, residual bleach will cause the entire crime scene to fluoresce, effectively camouflaging any organic evidence, such as blood.

Luminol will also detect the small amounts of blood present in urine and it can be distorted if animal blood is present in the room that is being tested.
Luminol reacts with fecal matter, causing the same glow as if it were blood.

Luminol's presence may prevent other tests from being performed on a piece of evidence. However, it has been shown that DNA can be successfully extracted from samples treated with luminol reagent.

How Luminol Works

http://science.howstuffworks.com/luminol.htm

I hope NG has a different forensic scientist on tonight to explain all this stuff, and not Kobi!

What about the 2.6 days?? Does this mean caylee was taken out of the trunk after only 2.6 days? I thought she remained in there a lot longer than that. And if she was only in there for that period of time, would the car have smelled the way it did a month later???

I'm hoping that on NG tonight, she has a "non-biased" forensics expert to explain these results to us.

The mention of 2.6 days could be "read" either way:

- There is a body decomposing for 2.6 days in the trunk of the car (meaning it could have been decomposing somewhere else for longer); OR
- An item that was put in the trunk and then taken back out had a total of 2.6 days worth of decomposition to it.

As I understand it that motion was persuant to the neglect charge only.
The ones he delayed opinion on were mute when she was indicted pending bail revocation.

I think you mean moot, Blinkie.

Hi Blink, Do you think that KC moved the body on the 18/19th? I posted earlier that the cell phone info shows a lapse in use that was unusual for KC.

Yes, I think she was put in A's backyard on the 18th, and removed either 6/22 late or 6/23 eve or wee morning hours 6/24, imo.. Corresponding with the shed break in. I think GA knows that and thus the gas can and "I saw Casey" on the 24th story. IMO.

I think they said that the hair on the shovel did NOT match either casey or caylee.

Sorry, I must have misread it. I thought it said the opposite, that it did have mitochondrial DNA matching them.

The fragment of hair found on the label on the shovel, which also had DNA matching either Casey or Caylee.

The results of the hair on the shovel indicate:

"both Casey and Caylee can be excluded as the source of the Q46.2 hair."

I'm hoping that on NG tonight, she has a "non-biased" forensics expert to explain these results to us.

The mention of 2.6 days could be "read" either way:

- There is a body decomposing for 2.6 days in the trunk of the car (meaning it could have been decomposing somewhere else for longer); OR
- An item that was put in the trunk and then taken back out had a total of 2.6 days worth of decomposition to it.

Seeing as it is the Body Farm-my guess is that poor Caylee's little body was at day 2.6 of decomp. I have a few of those books, and I suppose I could look and see what that means....but I just can't.

So, to sum, we have 1) a hair indistinguishable from Caylee with a death band in the trunk, 2) a stink of decomposition in the trunk, 3) Air tests showing chloroform and evidence of human decomposition, and 4) physical samples showing chloroform on different parts of the trunk. What did I miss?

AND NO CAYLEE seen since mid June!!!

The evidence is not as tight as I hoped though. Because of margins of errors related to these kinds of testing. Defense: Only 1 hair out of all the hairs found tested for decomp, what about the other hairs.
Also, a main chemical make up of decomp floridine (sp?) was not found in the air samples, cannot prove decomp. Can prove doubt by saying she may or maynot have hand enough of that chemical at age 3 since that theory isn't tested and has never been studied.

I think you mean moot, Blinkie.

LOL, I certainly do Garden, the funny thing is that word and it's context and spelling are one of my biggest pet peeves.. Thank you for calling me on it:crazy: Maybe it was a message to myself!! heh heh

I want to say the car was picked up from the towyard around noon or 1pm...and then Cindy went looking for Casey. I could be wrong though....I'll try to double check.

Yep, I just looked it up in the documents and the tow yard manager Simon Burke says that the car was released at 1335.

What the prosecution could infer from this evidence:

They (the criminalists) find one hair in the trunk of the sunfire usually driven by Casey (but accessed by members of her family). The hair (upon microscopic analysis) is indistinguishable from the hair on Caylee’s hairbrush. Typically, when viewed under a microscope, hairs are easily seen as being different in length, color, thickness, evidence of bleaching, and so on. The hair towards the root shows what is known as a “death band” or dark band that appears when a human dies and decomposition begins. To see “whose” hair it is the remaining “debris” is sent for MtDNA testing. Mitochondrial DNA is DNA that is passed down from female to female (and so Cindy’s mitochondrial DNA would match Casey and Caylee). The mitochondrial DNA comes back as a match to Casey (and Caylee). As Casey and Cindy are alive and accounted for, then it would lead us to believe that Caylee is in fact the donor of the hair and deceased.

Then we have heard about the stink in the trunk. The tow yard guy smelled it and likened it to a suicide he’d smelled previously. George had smelled it and admitted he did not like it at all. Cindy told the 911 operator that there smelled like there was a body in the damn car. I think we can agree that the sunfire was reeking. Air tests are performed by the Body Farm to determine the chemicals in the air of the trunk. The chemicals come back showing: 1) chloroform, 2) evidence of human decomposition (especially in its early stages).

The Body Farm rules *out* the chemicals found during pizza and animal decomposition.
The Body Farm narrows down and focuses only on the chemicals omitted during the human decomposition and they find way over the normal amount in that trunk (to put it lightly). They also run their tests against control samples to see which chemicals are naturally occurring in a sunfire trunk. Their opinion is that there was human decomposition in that sunfire’s trunk. We have heard no evidence of the sunfire being used to transport dead bodies (like a morgue van) or any logical reason for there to be human decomp in there.

It is also noted that the chloroform found (perhaps this was the “stain”) is more concentrated (perhaps this is the wrong term) in the spare tire cover area. Four areas or swatches were tested from the tire cover and they all come up positive for chloroform. The trunk “liner” area shows “consistent with chloroform” which one could assume is a less concentrated or definitive amount. Why would the chloroform be less concentrated in the trunk’s liner but more concentrated on the spare tire and spare tire cover? Perhaps was the trunk cleaned but the spare tire area missed?

So, to sum, we have 1) a hair indistinguishable from Caylee with a death band in the trunk, 2) a stink of decomposition in the trunk, 3) Air tests showing chloroform and evidence of human decomposition, and 4) physical samples showing chloroform on different parts of the trunk. What did I miss?

Job Well done!! :clap: There is still evidence we have not seen or heard about yet, the dress that was found, the underware that was found, the DNA from George, Lee & Cindy, the dirt samples, etc.

Awesome. 41 out of 50 chemicals/odors detected in the trunk are consistant with human decomposition.......BUT, the conclusion (paraphrasing here, cuz I don't know how to copy from that document) that the odors could be related to decomposition that POSSIBLY comes from a human. I would have thought the FBI results would have been much more definitive than THAT.

I think the defense team might be grinning right now.

In the past, I was thinking that perhaps some of the evidence was being made available in order to facilitate a plea bargain... if they show early how strong their case is -- then maybe she will cop to a lesser charge and show them where Caylee is?

I've always thought there were 3 different reasons why the DA's office is releasing all this evidence:

- Hoping that KC will take a plea
- Florida Sunshine law demands it if someone requests it; and
- Gives the DA the opportunity to view all the "potential arguements" to the evidence that is being discussed on the internet, in preparation to dispute any arguments by the defense in court. (in other words, give them a little extra practice before D-day).

If you recall, YM did say a while back that his team was reading all the forums, even the WS forum....

Never, and I am willing to put money on it.
Lanie

If Cindy and George admit Caylee is dead, they are one step closer to saying their daughter, Casey is a murderer. They will never go that far.
jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member