DNA Solves
DNA Solves

sds71

Reaction score
General Colin Powell has died from Covid complications at the age of 84
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1450070523296243714?s=20
FB-uSodXIAQ4zts

Omg. Wow. :eek::(RIP

I told my husband that General Powell was fully vaccinated so my husband would understand that getting vaccinated does not make him superman! It is shocking though that General Powell was fully vaccinated even though we do hear of people who are fully vaccinated occasionally dying from Covid. He was a great man.

Last edited:
@mkraju

Gen. Colin Powell had multiple myeloma,
@jaketapper
reports. Multiple myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body’s immune response. Even if fully vaccinated against Covid-19, immunocompromised are at greater risk from the coronavirus.

Oh, thanks for posting that information: that explains it much better. RIP General Powell.

Local connections
From Fort Devens to Hanover Theatre, remembering Gen. Colin Powell's ties to Central Mass.
Paywalled
In 2014, Gen. Colin L. Powell took the stage at Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts in Worcester, before an audience of students from Worcester Technical High School.

Powell, years removed from his tenure as U.S. secretary of state and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the young onlookers that his unimpressive grades proved to be no roadblock to hard work and determination.

“You’ll find, my young friends, that satisfaction and success in life come day by day,” said Powell, who died Monday. He was 84.

During his Hanover appearance, Powell mentioned that he was familiar with Worcester - he was forgiven for his pronunciation - dating to his early days in the military.

Powell was stationed at the former Fort Devens in Ayer in the early 1960s, having joined the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps while at the City College of New York.

At Fort Devens, no longer a post and now known as Devens, Powell commanded a company of the 5th Infantry Division; in 1962 he was promoted to captain, according to a biography on a military website about joint chiefs of staff. He was soon assigned to Vietnam.

During his time at Fort Devens, Powell went on a blind date with a student from Emerson College. Alma Johnson and Colin Powell would eventually marry. She survives him, as do their three children.

‘A Great Loss': Local Lawmakers Mourn Colin Powell's Death

Last edited:
He had an amazing career. He paved the way for so many regardless of his political affiliation. I heard him speak in 2006 in Knoxville. We were in speech class and the instructor told everyone to pack up and go to stadium. He was a brilliant speaker. I was so impressed.

He had multiple myeloma (same cancer as me) but also Parkinson’s. Even tho he had his vaccinations, he caught Covid. As an 84 year old it makes me wonder how he contracted it. He was likely isolating pretty consistently.

This entire scenario is so scary to me, even tho I had my booster in Sept, and my flu shot yesterday. Stay well folks.

Powell is being remembered at a funeral today at the Washington National Cathedral. President Joe Biden is expected to attend but not speak. Eulogists are to be Madeleine Albright, Richard Armitage and Powell’s son Michael.
Son and colleagues to eulogize soldier-diplomat Colin Powell

Full Program:

https://cathedral.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/1152021-Colin_Powell_RI.pdf

CNN will be airing the Funeral of Colin Powell tomorrow morning at 10ET
Colin Powell Funeral Service – LIVE at noon ET on C-SPAN Networks, C-SPAN Now App and online here: https://c-span.org/video/?515554-1/colin-powell-memorial-service-national-cathedral

WATCH LIVE: Colin Powell's funeral at the Washington National Cathedral

Last edited:
@JenniferJJacobs

Biden is at National Cathedral for funeral for Colin Powell. Also here: Powell’s wife Alma, daughter Linda and son Michael; Hillary Clinton, George W. Bush and Laura Bush, Barack and Michelle Obama, Dick and Lynne Cheney, Antony Blinken and Evan Ryan, Lloyd Austin, Mark Milley.

Attachments

• 53C0F8CA-C360-41EB-B5BA-B13A221885FF.jpeg
    53C0F8CA-C360-41EB-B5BA-B13A221885FF.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1
  • A8B507FD-2A25-40FB-AB3C-1F79F082A77D.jpeg
    A8B507FD-2A25-40FB-AB3C-1F79F082A77D.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 0B86EAC7-ED7D-4469-AECD-4884470F6DDA.jpeg
    0B86EAC7-ED7D-4469-AECD-4884470F6DDA.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 1
He would have made a fine President. But I understand why he chose not to run politically. Perhaps he knew he had multiple myeloma already, too, as you can live with it for a number of years and be quite stable. But your immune system is suppressed. RIP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02
Back