Found Safe France - Diary Sow, 20, Senegalese student missing after Xmas holidays, Paris, 4 January 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Dénouement

Reaction score
685da4f_684010548-117816598-188741535987628-7430469792197733400-o.jpg
An investigation has been opened in France after the disappearance of a talented Senegalese student who was studying at a prestigious Paris school.

Diary Sow did not return to school after the Christmas holidays, causing concern in Senegal and France.

Described as "the best student in Senegal", Ms Sow won several national academic prizes and published her first novel last year.

Aged 20, she has not been seen since 4 January.

Ms Sow is a second-year pre-university student at the prestigious Parisian high school Lycée Louis-Le-Grand, having received a scholarship for excellence.

"She is a punctual, very serious student, and the alert was given quickly. Nobody saw her, we did not find her in her apartment" in a university residence in Paris, Henry Sarr, member of an association of Senegalese students who launched appeals on social networks, told the AFP news agency.

"Neither her parents, nor her friends, guardian or the embassy have had any news," a member of the Senegalese community in Paris - Daouda Mbaye who organised a distribution of leaflets appealing for information at the weekend - told AFP.

Diary Sow: Talented Senegal student disappears in France

upload_2021-1-13_2-37-21.jpeg

Last edited:
Angst in Senegal After Its ‘Best Student’ Goes Missing in Paris

Can’t send paste from this article either sigh it’s a nicely written article says her student apartment is in the 13th arrondissement although the Senegalese consulate isn’t sure whether her badge was there or whether anyone had seen her

Family member last spoke to her Jan 2nd

Last edited:
She's beautiful and a very accomplished young lady. It's hard for me to believe she willingly walked away unless she needed a break for a couple of weeks...but I really really doubt it.:confused: Where was she over break before she didn't return to school? For as long as the articles are I can't seem to figure that out (although I've not had my fill of coffee yet;)).
TY for starting a thread for Diary, @Dénouement.

imrs.php

She's beautiful and a very accomplished young lady. It's hard for me to believe she willingly walked away unless she needed a break for a couple of weeks...but I really really doubt it.:confused: Where was she over break before she didn't return to school? For as long as the articles are I can't seem to figure that out (although I've not had my fill of coffee yet;)).
TY for starting a thread for Diary, @Dénouement.

imrs.php

I haven’t found that information but there is an article in French which may have more information

This is the closest info

For her mentor and Senegal's Minister of Water and Sanitation he says she wasn't anxious ahead of her disappearance.

"There was nothing to suggest any anxiety on her part, or any particular state of mind," said Serigne Mbaye Thiam.

"She worked well over the Christmas holidays on the homework and exercises her teachers had given her, at least that's what she told me, and she was also confident about tackling what was left of her school year and then her exams," the minister added.

After the holidays, she failed to show up at the prestigious Louis-Le-Grand lycee school in Paris

Diary Sow: Family of missing Senegalese student 'hurting' | Africanews

Angst in Senegal After Its ‘Best Student’ Goes Missing in Paris

Can’t send paste from this article either sigh it’s a nicely written article says her student apartment is in the 13th arrondissement although the Senegalese consulate isn’t sure whether her badge was there or whether anyone had seen her

Family member last spoke to her Jan 2nd
You'd think they'd at least let the public know where she was last and with whom. This is not good...not good at all. I'm praying for you, Diary.

Snipped
Ms. Sow was studying at the Lycée Louis-le-Grand in the Latin Quarter of Paris ...But on Jan. 4, after the end of the winter holiday break, Ms. Sow failed to appear in class.
Snip
Ms. Sow is originally from Mbour, a city about 35 miles south of Dakar, where a steady flow of local and foreign journalists visited her family on Tuesday in a quiet and tense atmosphere. Family members declined most press interviews, but one uncle, who declined to give his name to preserve the family’s privacy, said they had last spoken to Ms. Sow on Jan. 2.

These articles are super long and full of info about Diary. She's a top student and published author. I wonder if her family or LE have received any ransom requests?

Snipped
Hundreds of Senegalese expatriates in Paris and other French cities took to the streets this week, passing out pamphlets featuring Sow’s face and a number to call. Video shows them chanting, “Ensemble allons chercher Diary Sow.” Together let’s find Diary Sow.

Le Sénégal inquiet pour Diary Sow, modèle d'excellence pour toute une génération
Google translated & snipped
In the village of Malicounda, 80 kilometers from the Senegalese capital, those close to Diary Sow are gathered in the family home. His uncle, A. S., does not let go of his cell phone, hoping to finally receive a sign of life.

"She called regularly, every day," he told Europe 1. "Or by WhatsApp, but she always gave her news." While waiting for answers, the family sticks together in this "difficult" moment. "Uncle, aunt, mum, grandmother, we are all together." Prayers are also regularly organized in the neighborhood, where the neighbors describe a shy, intelligent young woman, appreciated by all.

if she's an 'overachiever', she might be afraid of anything less than perfect and under extreme stress from the expectations ... maybe she didn't do as well over the holidays as her family thought ... best case scenario is she's taking a necessary break and will contact her loved ones to ease their worries

I saw an interview with one of her school friends, who was apparently the last person to see her.
She said that they travelled home on the Metro together, the friend got off at Montparnasse but Diary stayed on the train, presumably her stop was further along the line? It seems she didn’t make it home. Praying she is safehttps://twitter.com/abdouazizcisse9/status/1349403073731559426?s=21

From twitter: https://twitter.com/khadidjandiayes/status/1349325972982607873

I note that there is a cruel lack of information concerning this case #DiarySow. Many gray areas which lead to sterile interpretations of events. I invite @Macky_Sall, @SenegalenFrance and @EmmanuelMacron to have much more clarity in their communication.

Replying to
@khadidjandiayes

There is currently a committee working on the case with local police. We are in contact with the girl’s family and are keeping them updated on the information we have. Nonetheless some information are not meant to be shared with the public yet.

Non, l'étudiante sénégalaise Diary Sow, portée disparue depuis début janvier, n'a pas été retrouvée par un journaliste

<translated>
Viral publications on Twitter and Facebook ensure that the Senegalese student Diary Sow, missing in France since the beginning of 2021, was found by a journalist on January 13. This is false: the Senegalese consulate in Paris has formally denied this "news", and the journalist behind this false information has apologized. Thursday, January 14, the Senegalese authorities and the French police were still mobilized to find the young woman.
Sign of the emotion caused by this affair: many Internet users reacted to the publications according to which the young woman would have been found.

These posts, visible on Twitter, Facebook ( 1 , 2 , 3 ) or in online media ( 1 , 2 ), are based in particular on an audio file, in which a woman says in Fulani (one of the languages spoken in Senegal) that Diary Sow was found.

" All Senegal is happy," said this person, whose identity is not specified. " Diary Sow is a symbol of hope for Senegal and Africa [...] We thank the people who kept her for making her safe and sound for us ," she adds with conviction.

However, the information that the Senegalese student was found on January 13 is erroneous. The Senegalese consulate in Paris has " formally " denied this " rumor " on Twitter and Facebook . " The Embassy and the Consulate General of Senegal in Paris have no official or unofficial information indicating that Diary Sow has been found, " he insisted.

Contacted by AFP, a close friend of Diary Sow, Amadou Demba Balde, said that the photo of Diary Sow posted on social networks was " an old and diverted image ", taken " in 2019 ". According to him, the young man present alongside the Senegalese is also a student.

Disparition de Diary Sow : de Toulouse à Paris, où est passée l'étudiante sénégalaise ?

The greatest mystery still surrounds the disappearance in France of Diary Sow, a brilliant 20-year-old Senegalese girl studying in Paris. She hasn't been seen since 4 January after a visit to Toulouse where she spent the end-of-year holidays with her best friend, a medical student, according to a Senegalese student association in Toulouse. She then evaporated.

According to Amadou Diallo, Senegalese consul general in Paris, contacted by Le Parisien, "the criminal hypothesis now seems to have been ruled out. There is good reason to believe that we will eventually find her safe and sound. But we must remain cautious," he explains to our colleagues. On Monday 4 January, the first day of the new school year, her badge was indeed detected at the door of her student residence in Paris and she would then have appeared in the view of the video surveillance cameras installed on the route leading to her high school. According to the Senegalese website SeneNews, the search of her student room revealed that several personal belongings and clothes had been taken from her room.

But Diary Sow, Senegal's best student in 2018 and 2019, "Miss Sciences" in 2017, did not resume her classes in the preparatory class at the prestigious Louis-Le-Grand high school in Paris. The Senegalese community is very mobilised and attentive to the slightest information communicated by the authorities. "We know since yesterday (Editor's note: Wednesday) that it is not in Toulouse, contrary to what was said at first, that she disappeared but in Paris," according to the communication officer of the association of Senegalese students in Toulouse. "So we decided not to organise a gathering here. However, we are following the investigation closely, hoping to find her safe and sound".

However, ten days after her disappearance, all leads were still being considered, even if running away seems to be the better alternative. This young woman is nevertheless known in Senegal as the embodiment of excellence and success at school.

The Senegalese Minister of Water and Sanitation Serigne Mbaye Thiam, who is close to Diary Sow's family, says he himself "discussed at some length", on 1 January, with the young woman in particular about the competitive exams she was planning to take to start studying engineering. They had agreed to talk again on 10 January.

"There was nothing to suggest any anxiety on her part, or any particular state of mind," said Serigne Mbaye Thiam, who also described her as "very studious, very absorbed in reading, writing and painting". "She was quite reserved, quite cautious in her relationships, very attached to her family and her country," he said. "We are worried, perplexed. We are expectant," added the minister, refusing to "fall into conjecture and supposition. "The most prudent attitude is to wait until the investigation is concluded and that she comes back to us safe and sound".

BBM

"her badge was indeed detected at the door of her student residence in Paris and she would then have appeared in the view of the video surveillance cameras"

So does this mean she was seen on the camera? Strange wording

But Diary Sow, Senegal's best student in 2018 and 2019, "Miss Sciences" in 2017

I cringe to imagine how much pressure this young woman must have been under to live up to her billing. Or, perhaps, to dream of a future as something other than a scientist. A country publicly identifying teens this way seems like a very bad idea. I hope she’s taking a much-needed break.

I would like to know if she had any male admirers that she perhaps had rebuffed. Did she have a boyfriend that we don't know of? Did she just break up with someone? Was she receiving unwanted attention from someone? Did she have a roommate?

Exclusif: L’étudiante sénégalaise, Diary Sow, aurait quitté la France depuis les premiers jours

<translated>
If the sources consulted by our editorial staff do not give a precise geolocation of where Diary Sow could currently be, they are, on the other hand, unanimous in saying "that she has voluntarily decided to break with her past ." If we have come to this extremity which jeopardizes her studies, French police sources - of high rank - affirmed that " it is to flee enormous social pressures that she decided to drop everything ." To understand what these social pressures can hide, Babacar Touré, the director of publications of Kewoulo, went yesterday to the family of Diary Sow in Malicounda, in the department of Mbour.
For our part, in Kewoulo we learned that the last video seen of Diary Sow dates from January 4th. She was seen, leaving the courtyard of the Lourcine residence in Paris, a bag in hand. Also, from the hearings carried out by the BRDP, Kewoulo learned that one of the friends of the Senegalese student from the Lycée Louis Le Grand in Paris would have declared that “ Diary Sow had informed him of his will not to resume his studies at the start of January. ”
If on the side of her family nobody knows anything about her and that, since January 3, Diary has not exchanged with her mother, her internet connection, she has talked a lot. This is how the investigators, who looked into the history of her internet connections, learned that she had long sought to know what French law provided if a person decided to disappear voluntarily. These are all clues that have led the French authorities to believe that “ Diary Sow voluntarily organized his disappearance” and decided to no longer consider his absence as worrying

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webberry
Back