Found Deceased France - Maëlys De Araujo, 9, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, 27 Aug 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Si aucune trace d’ADN de la fillette n’a été retrouvée sur ses chaussures et sa chemise, le short reste lui introuvable.

No trace Or DNA was found on the suspect's shoes or shirt (not the girl's). And yes, he claims to have thrown his shorts away.

AAAGH .... How did that happen??? I saw that one and corrected it in the text before I posted it and there it pops up again.

Of course HIS shoes and HIS shirts, and the DNA is that of the girl....

I will now go and hide under the bed.

HOME OF SUSPECT SEARCHED IN HIS PRESENCE; MOTHER QUESTIONED

FranceInfo.TV
http://www.francetvinfo.fr/faits-di...ours-chez-les-parents-du-suspect_2357785.html

In the case of the missing 9-year-old Maëlys, an operation was under way on Tuesday 5 September at the home of the parents of the suspect in Domessin, Savoie, where he resides, according to the journalist from France Inter on location.

The street that gives access to the house is blocked by the police and samples are taken from the house. This search is carried out in the presence of the suspect, Franceinfo heard from a source close to the case. The suspect's mother is also questioned, according to the reporter of Franceinfo present in Grenoble. The suspect's brother was questioned on Monday.

In the search for the 9-year-old girl, ponds are still being investigated on Thursday, according to a source close to the case. According to the reporter of Franceinfo in Domessin, the lake of Aiguebelette (more than 5 km2), about ten kilometres away, could be surveyed on Wednesday.

Other investigators are continuing their efforts to locate the white shorts worn by the suspect on the wedding night. According to the suspect's lawyer, his client would have stained his shorts and returned home to change clothes. Bernard Méraud assures that the suspect ended up throwing his shorts away.

BBM

HOME OF SUSPECT SEARCHED IN HIS PRESENCE; MOTHER QUESTIONED

FranceInfo.TV
http://www.francetvinfo.fr/faits-di...ours-chez-les-parents-du-suspect_2357785.html

In the case of the missing 9-year-old Maëlys, an operation was under way on Tuesday 5 September at the home of the parents of the suspect in Domessin, Savoie, where he resides, according to the journalist from France Inter on location.

The street that gives access to the house is blocked by the police and samples are taken from the house. This search is carried out in the presence of the suspect, Franceinfo heard from a source close to the case. The suspect's mother is also questioned, according to the reporter of Franceinfo present in Grenoble. The suspect's brother was questioned on Monday.

In the search for the 9-year-old girl, ponds are still being investigated on Thursday, according to a source close to the case. According to the reporter of Franceinfo in Domessin, the lake of Aiguebelette (more than 5 km2), about ten kilometres away, could be surveyed on Wednesday.

Other investigators are continuing their efforts to locate the white shorts worn by the suspect on the wedding night. According to the suspect's lawyer, his client would have stained his shorts and returned home to change clothes. Bernard Méraud assures that the suspect ended up throwing his shorts away.

BBM

underlined by me I bet they were :yuck: This seems to be the only truthful statement so far.

[sarcasm font]

*IF* this chap is innocent, he's having an awful run of monumentally bad luck/coincidences:

- allegedly spends a lot of time with Maelys that evening
- happens to have to run home and changed his shorts around the time Maelys goes missing
- throws the shorts away because they're a bit worn out (who goes to a wedding reception in worn out shorts??? And why bother going home to change in the early hours of the morning anyway)
- the original story was that he had left to buy cigarettes: did this change because someone realized there was nowhere open selling cigarettes at that hour? (I haven't checked, that's just my speculation)
- after being up partying half the night, is up bright and early the next morning cleaning it thoroughly because he's selling it that very day
- "forgets" to mention that the missing child, whose disappearance he is being questioned about, was in his car during the evening
- then provides (via his lawyer) TWO different explanations for Maelys' traces found in the car (either he let her & a boy into it, or he left the windows open so they might have got into it on their own)
- "forgets" to mention his second cell phone to investigators
- scratches/cuts on his arms; explained as being from gardening in raspberry bushes

[/sarcasm font]

Now I've typed that out, it's all circumstantial, apart from the DNA trace, however that's rather too much coincidence for me, and the changing stories/after the fact "explanations" are bothering me a lot.

Have we heard anything from/about Maelys' parents?

https://www.google.ca/amp/m.leparis...mon-frere-est-innocent-04-09-2017-7235469.php

Interview with suspect's mother and brother, also friends & locals.

https://translate.googleusercontent...69.php&usg=ALkJrhjQfLd3bs3xW6DkeGPL-h8tEh1VQQ

From the article: NL has (at least) 2 Facebook profiles, one of which was closed Sunday, a second is still available. I'm looking for it...

ETA: the google translate isn't very good, I'll try and come back with a better translation later on when I have more time.

Have we heard anything from/about Maelys' parents?

They are most likely going through hell and are best left alone IMHO.

Also, it is very telling that they have not gone public with an appeal, IMHO this indicates that LE has good reasons to believe that they are on the right track.

[sarcasm font]

*IF* this chap is innocent, he's having an awful run of monumentally bad luck/coincidences:

- allegedly spends a lot of time with Maelys that evening
- happens to have to run home and changed his shorts around the time Maelys goes missing
- throws the shorts away because they're a bit worn out (who goes to a wedding reception in worn out shorts??? And why bother going home to change in the early hours of the morning anyway)
- the original story was that he had left to buy cigarettes: did this change because someone realized there was nowhere open selling cigarettes at that hour? (I haven't checked, that's just my speculation)
- after being up partying half the night, is up bright and early the next morning cleaning it thoroughly because he's selling it that very day
- "forgets" to mention that the missing child, whose disappearance he is being questioned about, was in his car during the evening
- then provides (via his lawyer) TWO different explanations for Maelys' traces found in the car (either he let her & a boy into it, or he left the windows open so they might have got into it on their own)
- "forgets" to mention his second cell phone to investigators
- scratches/cuts on his arms; explained as being from gardening in raspberry bushes

[/sarcasm font]

Now I've typed that out, it's all circumstantial, apart from the DNA trace, however that's rather too much coincidence for me, and the changing stories/after the fact "explanations" are bothering me a lot.
Rbbm.
Wondering if the scratches/ cuts are in fact from a raspberry bush, but not because he was "gardening" near them?
Maybe searchers can look for the little girl near bushes like that.
imo, speculation

PARENTS FILE A CIVIL SUIT AND DENY CONNECTION WITH THE MAN NOW IN PRISON

Le Parisien
http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-dive...ct-05-09-2017-7236375.php#xtor=RSS-1481423633

This Tuesday morning, as part of a vast operation conducted by the technical and scientific police, searches and even diggings are being carried out using police dogs to probe the land adjacent to N. L.'s home. The two investigating judges responsible for the investigation are on site. In addition, eight divers were still probing new bodies of water on Tuesday, according to a source close to the investigation who spoke to the AFP.

The parents of the girl, who have launched a civil action within the criminal proceedings on Tuesday, made it clear that "no close or distant connection existed or exists between Maëlys' father and the indicted man currently in prison". This incorrect information circulated last week.

The suspect, who arrived late at the wedding, had initially been placed in police custody because he was absent during the party at a time that could correspond to the disappearance of the 9-year-old girl, according to the prosecutor's office.
He has since explained that he had gone to his home to change a pair of shorts with wine stains, then had thrown these into the garbage, because they were too old and too dirty. According to his lawyer, Bernard Méraud, this return trip, confirmed by the suspect's mother,"predates the time of the disappearance of the girl", around 3:00 a. m.

BBM

IMHO Maëlys disappeared between 01.30 hrs (when the nanny who took care of the children left) and 03.00 hrs when her parents failed to find her.

THE SHADY CORNERS IN THE DECLARATIONS OF THE SUSPECT

http://www.msn.com/fr-fr/actualite/...es-déclarations-du-suspect/ar-AArkCBW?ocid=st

The investigation into the disappearance of nine year old Maëlys on Sunday 27 August from a wedding party, must shed light on a number of obscure or contradictory points in the suspect's successive statements, who was indicted on 3 September for "kidnapping, sequestration or arbitrary detention of a minor."

"According to his lawyer Bernard Méraud, the man was present at the wedding party in Pont-de-Beauvoisin (Isère), where he admits to having "supplied some drugs to some of his friends during the evening," according to the lawyer to "Libération".

Here are the points that need to be sorted out:

Who's the other kid that would have gotten in the car?

Confronted with the discovery of the girl's DNA on the dashboard of her car, the suspect, a 34-year-old man who was imprisoned and indicted on Sunday after being held in police custody on Thursday, admitted that Maëlys did come into his car, an Audi A3 - after first saying she hadn't been in it.

He says she went in with a little boy on the evening of the wedding, Saturday, August 26, to find out if the dogs of the man - a former military dog handler - were there, while he smoked a cigarette in the parking lot of the party hall. The three would then have returned to the hall. The gendarmes are looking for this little boy, unknown at the moment.

Why was the vehicle cleaned?

The cleaning of the car on Sunday afternoon, August 27, by its owner, initially considered suspicious by the investigators, was due, according to him, to the fact that he was to sell it within a week. "The buyer has been identified and confirmed that this sale was going to take place," his lawyer told the "Le Parisien". The daily notes that "the gendarmes recovered from a bag that was used to clean the car, objects that arecurrently being analyzed."

Where are the wine stained shorts?

Living with his parents in the hamlet of Domessin, eight minutes by car from the party hall, the suspect said he went back there during the evening to "change his shorts stained with wine". These were so dirty that "he made the choice in the very moment to throw ithem into the garbage," his lawyer said to "Libération".

The thirty-year-old then returned to the party hall. The gendarmes are looking for the garment, which remains untraceable.

Where do scratches come from?

The gendarmes noticed when they first arrested him that the suspect had scratches on his arm and knee. The man explained that these had happened to him while he was gardening in raspberry bushes. The disadvantage,"Le Parisien points out," is that the mother of the thirty-year-old said during questioning that her son is not a gardener..."

What happened with the phones?

This is one of the points that quickly caught the attention of the gendarmes: the suspect's mobile phone was stopped at the approximate time of Maëlys' disappearance.
"This phone is defective, according to my client, and has already had problems before when it went out," says Me Méraud.

"However, the suspect had concealed the existence of a second telephone, found in his home", notes Le Parisien. According to the man, this second telephone was "being terminated".

BBM

He has an answer for everything. Quite astonishing.

They are most likely going through hell and are best left alone IMHO.

Also, it is very telling that they have not gone public with an appeal, IMHO this indicates that LE has good reasons to believe that they are on the right track.

RBBM
I totally agree. That aligns with my train of thought.

Has the arrested French man been named? I see the letters NL mentioned, are those his initials?

ETA: every time I try to scroll back, I get a error message, otherwise I would just go back and read.

LAKE AIGUEBELETTE IS BEING SCOURED BY DIVERS

Le Dauphine
http://www.ledauphine.com//isere-nord/2017/09/06/maelys-le-lac-d-aiguebelette-sonde

According to the Dauphiné Libéré, the investigation unit is conducting numerous investigations, in particular into the images taken by video-protection cameras. This is a matter of trying to trace the route taken by the respondent's Audi A3.
The job is a very painstaking. First of all, the cameras must be listed within an established perimeter. "He said he was away for about an hour. In an hour's time, he was able to cover several kilometres," says a source close to the file. The source also confides that it is not formally established that the thirty-year-old, who was indicted for kidnapping and sequestration, was driving his Audi A3 alone during this famous round-trip to change his stained shorts.

Lake Aiguebelette, a dozen kilometres away from the suspect's home, is a popular destination of his. The various hearings conducted by investigators, particularly those of his relatives, revealed that the 34-year-old ex-military officer travelled there almost every day, most often with his dogs and sometimes with friends. His Facebook page (closed since this weekend) shows numerous pictures of him and his dogs at the lake.

Extensive searches began this Wednesday morning at Lake Aiguebelette (Savoie), ten days after Maëlys' disappearance. Various nautical brigades were mobilized, including divers from Aix-les-Bains and Valence. "This search will take a long time because of the lake's surface and its depth, of over 70 metres," according to a policeman.

BBM

Is he suggesting that he lured her into his car with the promise of seeing dogs? And is he suggesting that another child may have been in his car at one time as well?

From what I am reading in the french news he opened the door of his car, pushed the seat back (i understand it only has 2 doors) and let 2 kids (males and a boy) in the back seat as they wanted to see wether there were dogs in the boot. He only admitted this after being confronted with DNA evidence... but Her DNA was found on the dashboard not the back seat. He then claimed the windows of his car were left open during the wedding...

LAKE AIGUEBELETTE IS BEING SCOURED BY DIVERS

Le Dauphine
http://www.ledauphine.com//isere-nord/2017/09/06/maelys-le-lac-d-aiguebelette-sonde

[BThe source also confides that it is not formally established that the thirty-year-old, who was indicted for kidnapping and sequestration, was driving his Audi A3 alone during this famous round-trip to change his stained shorts.[/B]

RSBM

This paragraph is a bit misleading (to me, perhaps not to others!) in the translation: from the original I understand it to mean that it hasn't been confirmed that he only drove his Audi during the time he was absent from the party (I.e, they haven't ruled out him using another vehicle?).

Cette source confie également qu’il n’est pas formellement établi que le trentenaire, mis en examen pour enlèvement et séquestration, était au volant uniquement de son Audi A3 durant ce fameux aller-retour pour changer son short tâché.

Is that correct do you think, Zazara?

RSBM

This paragraph is a bit misleading (to me, perhaps not to others!) in the translation: from the original I understand it to mean that it hasn't been confirmed that he only drove his Audi during the time he was absent from the party (I.e, they haven't ruled out him using another vehicle?).

Is that correct do you think, Zazara?

Ha! Yesss! I spotted that one too, it is one of those moments when I would have loved to be the journalist and ask them what exactly do they mean by ....? and IMHO it could go either way so I had to make a decision. There has been mention of a possible accomplice - has not been ruled out. And it could also be that he used another car - has not been ruled out either, but to me this was new.

It is very confusing remark once you start to think about it - if he came home in a different car or with someone else, wouldn't his family have noticed for instance? Or would the owner of the other car not come forward?

I hope this point will be clarified soon. I also hope for his family that he did not borrow their car.

Ha! Yesss! I spotted that one too, it is one of those moments when I would have loved to be the journalist and ask them what exactly do they mean by ....? and IMHO it could go either way so I had to make a decision. There has been mention of a possible accomplice - has not been ruled out. And it could also be that he used another car - has not been ruled out either, but to me this was new.

It is very confusing remark once you start to think about it - if he came home in a different car or with someone else, wouldn't his family have noticed for instance? Or would the owner of the other car not come forward?

I hope this point will be clarified soon. I also hope for his family that he did not borrow their car.

So do I! The sentence is certainly quite convoluted in the original. I *think* that if it were saying that it hasn't been confirmed whether he was alone or not, I'd have written it differently ("seul à bord", or similar rather than "au volant uniquement"), but that's JMHO :).

And thank you for working so hard to keep the thread updated with the media links.

Another thing I noted from a different Dauphiné article is that his (closed) Facebook account had many pictures at the lake: hopefully this will give police & divers some ideas of places to concentrate on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member