France - Machine Gun attack on magazine Charlie Hebdo #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea i wanted to get over is that all is not lost just because the Americans weren't there and some may of seen it as a positive step....no one knows if the decision not to be there was made on purpose..

Oh, I realize that all is not lost because we Americans didn't have higher profile representation at the rally. Personally, I am deeply embarrassed that we failed to show our support of the French. My feeling are much like they would be if I had a child who was selfish, rude & inconsiderate in the extreme.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/world/europe/kerry-paris-terrorist-attacks.html?_r=0

Kerry is coming over to France. I loved the speech he gave so eloquently in fluent French so soon after the Charlie attack expressing his understanding at what this means to France and reaffirming America's commitment to stand in solidarity with its ally. It gave a good impression and several French people I have spoken to commented on it. Many different newspapers praised his words of support, headlines describing his speech using words such as "touching" "solemn" and "poignant".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/world/europe/kerry-paris-terrorist-attacks.html?_r=0

Kerry is coming over to France. I loved the speech he gave so eloquently in fluent French so soon after the Charlie attack expressing his understanding at what this means to France and reaffirming America's commitment to stand in solidarity with its ally. It gave a good impression and several French people I have spoken to commented on it. Many different newspapers praised his words of support, headlines describing his speech using words such as "touching" "solemn" and "poignant".

Some of the countries that were represented by their heads of state in the march on Sunday are among the first to criticize the latest cover of Charlie Hebdo, the one that reads FORGIVENESS on top of everything, and today is only Tuesday!

IMHO Europeans are well aware what REAL and ONGOING support is all about.

Some of the countries that were represented by their heads of state in the march on Sunday are among the first to criticize the latest cover of Charlie Hebdo, the one that reads FORGIVENESS on top of everything, and today is only Tuesday!

IMHO Europeans are well aware what REAL and ONGOING support is all about.

Indeed, I've been reading that. I'm personally getting so sick of hearing offence to depiction of the prophet and all that. None of any of this makes any sense to me as a non-believer living in a strongly secular country but I do know that we have to find a way of improving relations and remain respectful of different beliefs or this is just going to get worse and worse and divide us more.

In the words of the journalist interviewed at CH: "Our friends died because of small drawings, because of a joke, but what happen to us was not a joke. Muslims must understand that we in Charlie Hebdo just consider Islam as a normal religion just like any other religion in France. Islam must accept to be treated like all the other religions in this country. And they must accept humour also."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/13/charlie-hebdo-cover-magazine-prophet-muhammad"

""I think it's fair to say that we should have sent someone with a higher profile to be there." - Josh Earnest

the security issue is nothing more than a desperate attempt at an excuse. There was no reason someone didn't go, especially Holder.

Would Obama have been criticized either way? Possible, but that sort of criticism would be from his usual detractors and would be justifiably irrelevant.

Instead, the no show is viewed by many as one more example--in a long list of examples--of the administration's reluctance/refusal to tackle this issue head on.

agency was not asked to draw up security plans for a potential presidential trip to Paris in advance of Sunday's march.

"We weren't asked or notified about a trip," the official said. But the agency had Secret Service agents on the ground in Paris, per its standard operating procedure.

"It would have been a challenging advance ... based on what we know," Secret Service spokesman Brian Leary said. But Leary did not say that such an advance would have been impossible.

During the White House briefing, Earnest suggested security challenges were a factor in not having the president travel to Paris. But Earnest acknowledged the Secret Service could have pulled it off. An agency official noted previous "last minute" presidential trips have happened during the Obama presidency, including a hurried visit to South Africa in December 2013 for the memorial service for Nelson Mandela.

Per Cnn. I'm having difficulty c&p :(

Will keep trying.

Eta to add link

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/12/politics/obama-kerry-paris/

I'm not sure to whom the above is directed, but it doesn't remotely characterize my remarks about the lack of executive presence in Paris. Or the remarks described and quoted here: http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/01/media-slam-obamas-paris-snub-200928.html

Is Andrea Mitchell a mewling critic?

In regard to Omaha Beach and D-Day, we can add the Hindu Kush and a host of other places to the mix, and say that the sailors and soldiers and Marines who shed their blood and lost their lives there were quintessential American warriors. Kunar Province really sticks in my mind. But we can't say politicians or governments are the same thing as the men who stood on those lines. And those places have nothing to do with whether or not this POTUS went to Paris. Nor do a President's relatives tell us a thing about a President's commitment to anything at all.

So, on the subject of the lack of American executive presence in Paris, judging from the thumbs down from members of the media seated on the left side of the aisle, tweets from Paris citizens, and the head-shaking from former officials who have served both Republican and Democrat presidents, it seems this was an equal opportunity failure. This is why Josh Earnest had a nerve-wracked day running damage control after the pulse of public and media sentiment was checked. To those then who say this has become political, I would ask what screams that louder than a Press Secy showing up with a mop and pail?

Re: all of your posts.

I do hope that your profession involves writing or expressing yourself in some fashion, because if it does not you have missed your calling.
:bowdown:

Just now saw on CNN news that a group of NYC policemen attended the memorial at Charlie Hebdo today. God, I'm proud of them!! They have been there, done that & know how it feels to be in the same situation as the French.

I'm off to try & find a link for this info.

Indeed, I've been reading that. I'm personally getting so sick of hearing offence to depiction of the prophet and all that. None of any of this makes any sense to me as a non-believer living in a strongly secular country but I do know that we have to find a way of improving relations and remain respectful of different beliefs or this is just going to get worse and worse and divide us more.

In the words of the journalist interviewed at CH: "Our friends died because of small drawings, because of a joke, but what happen to us was not a joke. Muslims must understand that we in Charlie Hebdo just consider Islam as a normal religion just like any other religion in France. Islam must accept to be treated like all the other religions in this country. And they must accept humour also."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/13/charlie-hebdo-cover-magazine-prophet-muhammad"

Turkey made the list of 'Staunch defenders of the free Press' who walked in the march on Sunday.

Turkey's president on Monday:
http://news.yahoo.com/egyptian-cleric-warns-charlie-hebdo-against-publishing-racist-135656059.html

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan accused the West on Monday of hypocrisy for its stance over the attack on Charlie Hebdo and the hostage-taking at a kosher supermarket in which four Jews were killed, while failing to condemn anti-Muslim acts in Europe. "The West's hypocrisy is obvious. As Muslims, we've never taken part in terrorist massacres. Behind these lie racism, hate speech and Islamophobia," he said.

BBM

Just now saw on CNN news that a group of NYC policemen attended the memorial at Charlie Hebdo today. God, I'm proud of them!! They have been there, done that & know how it feels to be in the same situation as the French.

That is wonderful to hear!

Turkey made the list of 'Staunch defenders of the free Press' who walked in the march on Sunday.

Turkey's president on Monday:
http://news.yahoo.com/egyptian-cleric-warns-charlie-hebdo-against-publishing-racist-135656059.html

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan accused the West on Monday of hypocrisy for its stance over the attack on Charlie Hebdo and the hostage-taking at a kosher supermarket in which four Jews were killed, while failing to condemn anti-Muslim acts in Europe. "The West's hypocrisy is obvious. As Muslims, we've never taken part in terrorist massacres. Behind these lie racism, hate speech and Islamophobia," he said.

BBM

Muslims have never taken part in terrorist massacres?

Dude is cuckoo for cocoa puffs or has not been paying attention. And someone needs to tell him that Muslim is not a race

French PM got a standing ovation from the whole political spectrum after his impassioned speech addressing lawmakers. The translator on the English version of France 24's voice broke at the end sounded like he was crying.
PM said there will be a before and an after. Gave tributes to those lost. What the response meant to the country's character. France is not at war with Islam but with terrorism. French Jews and French Muslims should not have to be afraid. Will have another look at laws in place. Also a new air travel monitoring scheme coming into force in September for would-be jihadists. Strengthen the anti-radicalisation plan in place and focus on anti-radicalisation in the prison system. Monitoring internet, surveillance of at-risk people. Analysis of the information. Measures will never go against civil liberties. Best response is to continue to be ourselves.

Muslims have never taken part in terrorist massacres?

Dude is cuckoo for cocoa puffs or has not been paying attention. And someone needs to tell him that Muslim is not a race

Many muslims say they are innocent. They say Western intelligence services and Israel's Mossad behind all terrorist attacks inc 9/11 to smear and oppress muslims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many muslims say they are innocent. They say Western intelligence services and Israel's Mossad behind all terrorist attacks inc 9/11 to smear and oppress muslims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. I had no idea that there were conspiracy theories involved in this.

Still haven't found a link, Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member