France - Mother & four children slain, buried in Nantes garden, 5 April 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Couldn't find any English news articles yet, but the creep has possibly sent a family photo of 2 sons with the text 'I am still alive' to a journalist. Police is analyzing the handwriting.
http://www.rtl.fr/actu/societe-fait...voyee-par-le-suspect-ou-un-corbeau-7779197107

Translated:

The case of Xavier Dupont Ligonnes is not over yet. Accused of killing his wife and four children in April 2011, the man who is the subject of an international arrest warrant cannot be found. While no proof of life has so far been found, a mysterious photo was sent to a Nantes journalist, according to information from France 3.

The letter is dated July 11; it arrived a few days later at the office of AFP in Nantes. The picture appears to be taken from a family album, showing two of the sons - probably Arthur and Benoît - of Xavier Dupont de Ligonnes. One is eating, the other more relaxed. The date, however, is not noted, thus not allowing to determine the age of the eldest and youngest.

But the focus of interest is actually found the back of the photo. "I AM STILL ALIVE" is written there. "From here up to this hour" (sic), is also written in lower case. An author who signs the photo with an inscription: "Xavier Dupont Ligonnes." Similarly because of the date: "July 11, 2015, in Nantes."

Transmitted to the judicial police in Nantes by the journalist, the photo leads to many questions. Is this the actual signature of the suspect? Or is it a poison pen letter trying to manipulate the investigators? The judicial police requested a handwriting valuation, and testings must be done to find any fingerprints or DNA traces. The date of the results of these analysis has not yet been specified.

But investigators, who have been scratching their heads for four years, wonder what interest Xavier Dupont Ligonnes could have to announce to those who are at his heels that he is alive. Especially because such a move could cause the alleged killer to make a mistake and get arrested. In the opinion of the police, the latter prepared his escape too well to throw himself so easily in the lion's mouth.

7779201731_photo-de-la-copie-de-la-lettre-envoyee-par-xavier-dupont-ligonnes-a-une-journaliste-n.jpg

IMHO someone is trying to be funny.

A REPORTER FROM NANTES SNAPPED THIS PICTURE YEARS AGO DURING A MEMORIAL MARCH

Presse Océan
http://www.presseocean.fr/actualite...graphie-le-mysterieux-cliche-27-07-2015-16551

photo-373598.jpg

Experts are investigating the picture signed "Xavier Dupont de Ligonnes" sent to AFP Nantes on July 15. One thing is certain: this picture had already been distributed.

This does not tell the investigators where it comes from.
But one thing is certain: the "mysterious" photo of Benoit and Arthur de Ligonnes has already been diffused before.

Remember ... On July 15, a correspondent of Agence France Presse (AFP) in Nantes received this picture and a few words, signed "Xavier Dupont Ligonnes": "I AM STILL ALIVE. From then up to this time (sic). "

Some thought that this photo was never reported in the press. A photojournalist from Nantes, who was working for the Gamma agency at that time, has nevertheless found it in his archives. "When I saw it in the newspaper, I thought I'd seen before." And for good reason: during the white march organized in April 2011, after the quintuple murder, he had photographed this photo ... No doubt about it.

BBM

DUPONT DE LIGONNES: HIDING IN A MONASTERY AS A MONK?

BFMTV.com
http://www.bfmtv.com/societe/affair...-eu-lieu-une-operation-de-police-1345409.html

Verifications were carried out this Tuesday morning at a monastery in Roquebrune-sur-Argens, in the Var, as part of the investigation into the Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès case. This is place where monks live in silence and hermitage.

A police operation took place this Tuesday morning at a monastery in Roquebrune-sur-Argens, Var, as part of the investigation into the Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès case. Two members of the faithful had believed that they had recognized the man - suspected of having killed his wife and their four children in Nantes in 2011 - dressed in monk's clothes at a mass celebrated in the monastery of the Saint-Désert Notre Dame de Pitié.

BBM

But it wasn't him....

http://www.bfmtv.com/police-justice...rs-dans-un-monastere-dans-le-var-1345362.html

About twenty investigators from the central directorate of the judicial police (DCPJ) moved to the religious institution for this operation. They have verified both the identity of all those who are there and have studied the register of all those who have passed through the monastery in recent years. In particular, they sought to verify the identity of a man whose description resembles that of the father of the family, the one described by the faithful. No arrests were made. Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès remains untraceable.

BBM

The list of places where Xavier Dupont de Ligonnes has NOT been found grows longer and longer.

(first ever post on WS, hope this is the good place for it)

According to the Glasgow authorities, XAVIER DUPONT DE LIGONNES has been found at the Glasgow Airport, traveling with a fake passport. His fingerprints have been taken and match XDDL's.
He had apparently taken a flight from the Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport to go to Glasgow.
An arrest warrant had first been issued on April 22nd of 2011, then was changed to an international one as soon as May 10th, 2011.

Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès a été arrêté vendredi en Ecosse

Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès was arrested this Friday afternoon at Glasgow Airport (Scotland), while travelling from Roissy-Charles de Gaulle, according to information from Le Parisien.

The suspect in the Nantes massacre, suspected of having murdered his entire family and actively wanted by the police since April 2011, was travelling under a false identity and had changed his appearance. He was identified by his fingerprints, collected by the Scottish police and which will be sent to France to the DCPJ (Direction centrale de la Police judiciaire). Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès, who was the subject of a Europol red card, did not resist. This Friday evening, only Scottish investigators were on site.

This case had been in the news since the bodies of Agnes, 48, and her children Arthur, 21, Thomas, 18, Anne, 16, and Benoît, 13, were found in several pieces on April 21, 2011, buried in the family home's garden. At the time of exhuming the remains, one body was missing, the father's.

BBM

(first ever post on WS, hope this is the good place for it)

According to the Glasgow authorities, XAVIER DUPONT DE LIGONNES has been found at the Glasgow Airport, traveling with a fake passport. His fingerprints have been taken and match XDDL's.
He had apparently taken a flight from the Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport to go to Glasgow.
An arrest warrant had first been issued on April 22nd of 2011, then was changed to an international one as soon as May 10th, 2011.

Hi @siamese-dream, welcome to Websleuths. What a way to make an entrance!

Hi @siamese-dream, welcome to Websleuths. What a way to make an entrance!
Thank you so much !
Never thought this would be my first post tbh, this case has been driving everyone crazy for years in France. Every time a body was found (for instance after floods or in caves) it would spark theories all over the country about wether or not this was XDDL's. Very curious to see what he looks like now.
The fact that he's been able to get away with it for so long while a lot of people thought he was dead makes me suspicious of his sister,who always said that he was innocent and defended him so I wouldn't be surprised if she had a part in this despite (probably) being under surveillance.

Last edited:
Arrestation de Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès EN DIRECT : La police judiciaire se rend sur place… L'ADN en cours d'analyse ...

According to a source close to the file, "Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès is absolutely unrecognizable"

"You have to see him to believe it, he is absolutely unrecognizable," says a senior official of the Ministry of the Interior, quoted by Ouest France. If it wasn't for the fingerprints, we wouldn't think it was him."

22:02: The DNA being analyzed

DNA is being analysed, according to information from France 2, but the first markers are already positive.

BBM

Thank you so much !
Never thought this would be my first post tbh, this case has been driving everyone crazy for years in France. Every time a body was found (for instance after floods or in caves) it would spark theories all over the country about wether or not this was XDDL's. Very curious to see what he looks like now.
The fact that he's been able to get away with it for so long while a lot of people thought he was dead makes me suspicious of his sister,who always said that he was innocent and defended him so I wouldn't be surprised if she had a part in this despite (probably) being under surveillance.

There was a video with interviews of family and friends a few years ago. I thought I had posted it and written about it, but I cannot find it here. If I remember well, his best friend with whom he travelled through the USA was of the opinion that Xavier DdL was still alive, because why else would he have gone through all that trouble. (He did not want to meet him though.)

And he was right. De Ligonnes even faked what looked like the last steps towards a suicide in a cave. He must have been preparing this for years, and have money stashed away somewhere.

There was a video with interviews of family and friends a few years ago. I thought I had posted it and written about it, but I cannot find it here. If I remember well, his best friend with whom he travelled through the USA was of the opinion that Xavier DdL was still alive, because why else would he have gone through all that trouble. (He did not want to meet him though.)

Do you mean this one ?
Michel had been friends with Xavier for 30 years.
Michel : "[...] I personally think he's still alive. In my opinion, it's very likely."
Interviewer : "And why do you think so ?"
Michel : "Because if not he'd have killed himself along with his family. There was no point in making up all of this scenario if he was going to kill himself in the Var or elsewhere afterwards."

Do you mean this one ?
Michel had been friends with Xavier for 30 years.
Michel : "[...] I personally think he's still alive. In my opinion, it's very likely."
Interviewer : "And why do you think so ?"
Michel : "Because if not he'd have killed himself along with his family. There was no point in making up all of this scenario if he was going to kill himself in the Var or elsewhere afterwards."

That's the one!

His friend Michel knows him well, and he even mentions that XDdL might change his appearance a bit.

He was 100% right.

Michel also suggests that XDdL might go to an English speaking country, even USA. He was right about that one too:

DIRECT. Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès arrêté : des perquisitions en Ile-de-France

21.55 It was information from the Scottish police that led to the arrest of Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès. According to our information, the man was about to return to Scotland after a stay in France.

BBM

Last edited:
Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès : comment

"I'm still alive." These few words scribbled on the back of a photo sent to a journalist in July 2015 may have been genuine after all. One of the greatest mysteries in criminal history came to an end on Friday afternoon, October 11, at Glasgow Airport in Scotland.

Wanted by all police forces in France and Europe since April 2011, Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès, 58, was arrested when he got off the plane, more than eight years after the murder of five members of his family in Nantes (Loire-Atlantique). A woman, a girl and three boys found buried under the terrace of the Ligonnès house on April 21, 2011. And an vanished father, disappeared overnight, leaving no trace.

Dozens of theses and hundreds of testimonies have been published on Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès. Some people imagined him at the end of the world, having meticulously prepared his escape and his change of life. Others thought he was dead, perhaps suicidal, in any case disappeared forever in a rift or a ravine in the Var, the last place where he was definitely seen at the end of April 2011.

His trace was then found in Scotland, where local authorities had been interested in a somewhat strange man since a few weeks. When in doubt, and while Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès had been the subject of a Europol red card for several years, Scottish police officers sent photos of this individual to the Central Directorate of the Judicial Police (DCPJ), in charge of this investigation in France.

At the sight of the images, the French police officers are not thrilled. Yes, some physical traits resemble the father, but no one is certain. In case of doubt, and as they have done since the death of the entire Dupont de Ligonnès family, the investigators still decide to check. The Scots, with whom relations have been excellent since the beginning, are especially aware of one important piece of information: their target must take a flight from Paris and to Glasgow on Friday. The French police officers are therefore urgently trying to arrest him before his departure from Roissy (Val-d'Oise). But when they arrive on the spot, their "objective" has already taken off.

French investigators are therefore asking the Scots to check the fingerprints of this intriguing passenger. Upon his arrival at the airport, Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès was arrested. Quickly driven away from the crowd, the salesman did not resist and let the Scottish police take his fingerprints.

A few minutes later, the result comes in. According to Scottish investigators, this man they have just arrested is Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès, the main witness and suspect in the murder of his wife and four children. Only a DNA test will confirm his identity with certainty.

Subject to an international arrest warrant, Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès is expected to be handed over to the French authorities shortly. A procedure that could possibly be complicated by Brexit, according to a source close to the file. But even if it takes time, a judge will finally be able to hear the former salesman, who has been silent until now.

And perhaps get an answer to a question that has obsessed France for eight years: what has the alleged perpetrator of the fivefold murder done over the years? Because the case that bears his name has crystallized the passions of public opinion, as well as all the investigators who have worked on the subject. "Not a month goes by without information about him," an investigator told us a few weeks ago.

Over the past eight years, police officers have checked hundreds of pipes and explored dozens of leads. When they found bones in April 2015 near Fréjus (Var), they thought they were putting an end to the story. Without success. They also believed they had caught this number one suspect one morning in January 2018, in a monastery in Roquebrune-sur-Argens (Var) where the monks took a vow of silence. Without any more success.

Finally, according to our information, Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès lived in Glasgow under a false identity for several years, and changed his appearance somewhat. According to our information, he was able to travel with a passport stolen in 2014. He was arrested while trying to return to Scotland after having spent the last few days in Ile-de-France, where searches were underway on Friday evening.

BBM

One gets the impression that possibly his family may have known all about it. Or maybe his mistress, the one who was so scared that she went into hiding.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justicefornicky
Back