GA - Jennifer Wilbanks, runaway bride, for false police report, Duluth, 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, in Texas if you steal over a certain amount it's a felony I thought. Don't know for sure. I guess some of her lesser stealing wouldn't be a felony. (But after having a first large offense? Doesn't it accumulate?) I think maybe she's been getting off pretty easy.

Seems some are in prison here for drug charges and all. In my book stealing is pretty serious.

nanandjim said:
I'll choose this option. I don't understand how someone who has been arrested five times has not spent time behind bars. If her fiance chooses to marry her, he has a screw loose. IMO, her running is the best thing that ever happened to him.

I agree. Somebody is in cahoots with the police chief or D.A. Five times is alot. And she was in her 20's, not her teens. Most people are getting more mature by age 23 or so.

I wonder if there was some kind of money issue with her - she felt she wan't able to buy what her other friends had, or something like that?

I am beyond words when I see someone smiling in their mugshots..... :waitasec: :waitasec: She should have been in the looney house long ago. Good heavens. :doh:

Well, I am WAYY behind. I haven't seen anything on TV, only got my news from here, and this is the first I've heard (Thanks Liz) that she got a boob job, and "liked sex" (who doesn't?) and experienced many different "types", but was/is marrying a "born again virgin... I don't know. I think she might have a "deal" with sex or something... I mean don't forget the whole rape scream...
But since we are all trying to figure this thing out, well, I think those two factors might lend some more clues to the JW "descrambling".

Most shoplifters do it for the "rush" or thrill of it. It's a high for them, not sure if that pertains to JW's case, but it could very well apply. Alot of the shoplifters have enough money to pay for the items they steal... It's an escape just like a drug addict or alkie. Or perhaps something deeper lies there. She hasn't done it recent, so maybe that part is under control.
Thanks for the article LIZ! :blushing:

Mabel said:
I thought she was only arrested 3 times for shoplifting. How come there are 5 mug shot pics?

Mabel, I think there were only three arrests, all for shoplifting. BUT, she was BOOKED five times....three times at her arrests, the other two times, she was booked into the jail to serve her 'two weekends in jail' sentence.

Marthatex said:
She had gone a while without shoplifting, but then with the huge made-up story and lies to police showed once again a lack of conscience and now only an inkling of remorse. That's what worries me - is she mentally ill and only needs treatment, or is she a hard core criminal in the making who leads a double life? In which case she may need a tough punishment now. Her earlier punishments obviously didn't stick - she was a repeat offender.

If this were a first offense, I would agree with the author that maybe she shouldn't be punished, but she had an extensive criminal record. I don't agree that the media caused the uproar; the family looked pretty frantic to me. Are we being too easy on her because she is a white, middle class girl with a nice boyfriend and nice friends?

In Texas it's 3 strikes and you're out; good thing she doesn't live here.
I still maintain that we foster a double standard. "We" are always trying to find an excuse when the perp is a white middle class female. If the situation was reversed, and the guy had taken off leaving his bewildered bride at the altar, and later it is revealed that he had a criminal past, believe me no one would be talking about his "mental" state. He would be labeled a criminal and we would all be sympathetic to the poor girl who believed in him.

Well, I'm sure this is true in our society that some get off easier than others - tho I know around here young, white middle-class males are NOT getting off easy in regard to drunk driving deaths. (not that her crime is that bad)

Thank heavens Scott Peterson didn't get off; but it could have happened. (not that I am comparing her crimes to his in any way)

The question is, what would she do in the future? Look what she DID do, because perhaps the shoplifting or mental illness wasn't treated adequately?

Look how many terrible crimes are ultimately committed by repeat offenders. Something really bothers me about this case; I guess that's why I'm still posting here.

Pepper said:
I still maintain that we foser a double standard. "We" are always trying to find an excuse when the perp is a white middle class female. If the situation was reversed, and the guy had taken off leaving his bewildered bride at the altar, and later it is revealed that he had a criminal past, believe me no one would be talking about his "mental" state. He would be labeled a criminal and we would all be simpathetic to the poor girl who believed in him.

I agree with you completely and was just about to post the same thing.

Pepper said:
I still maintain that we foster a double standard. "We" are always trying to find an excuse when the perp is a white middle class female. If the situation was reversed, and the guy had taken off leaving his bewildered bride at the altar, and later it is revealed that he had a criminal past, believe me no one would be talking about his "mental" state. He would be labeled a criminal and we would all be sympathetic to the poor girl who believed in him.

I completely agree Pepper. And if the roles were reversed, we would be saying how cool it was for her to be a born again virgin...

May 25, 2005
District Attorney will discuss Wilbanks' case on Wednesday
http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=61011

Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter says he will discuss the case of runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks with news reporters Wednesday, the same day the county grand jury is scheduled to convene. >>>more at link

What will Jennifer Wilbanks do with the rest of her life? http://www.useless-knowledge.com/1234/may/article304.html

The author of the article doesn't seem very credible, as he obviously does care what JW does for the rest of her life! He's probably written more articles about JW than anyone! lol :p

AP ==

ATLANTA - The district attorney said Wednesday he has no deal in the case of runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks and was presenting information to a grand jury to determine if she should be indicted.

Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said he expected to announce the grand jury's findings at a news conference later Wednesday morning. Speaking just before the grand jury session got under way, he declined to say what he was planning to recommend.

Wilbanks' family has been in negotiations with Porter over a possible settlement, but Porter said no agreement had been reached.

link

wonder what his recommendation will be and if she will be indicted, kind of think she will be.

She has been indited...sounds like felony charges since misdemeanor wouldnt go to a grand jury

GJ met and heard evidence charged with making false statements and reporting a false crime. One misdeamnor, one felony. DA beleives this is the appropriate.

Misdemeanor - 12 months jail
felony 1 to 5 years

Will be issueing a warrant for her arrest at this time. Hoping she will turn herself in. Will be booked into county jail.

Her actions..lack of apology had no impact on this decision.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back